JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: IcePrincess - nanni mo iwazuni

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 339986 times)

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #660 on: March 24, 2007, 01:34:39 AM »
yea, ichiro got it back in 2002 or something so he should to

btw im planning to draft all the japanese players so dont draft them pls. XD (wont be at the draft cuz i have an early morning hockey game)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 01:36:59 AM by Mugen »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #661 on: April 03, 2007, 06:49:04 AM »
Opening Day has come and gone. 

Ben Sheets is badass, A-Rod homers, and Gil Meche actually delivers (if only for one day) on the big contract the Royals gave him during the off-season.

It all counts now, finally!  No more NFL, no more March "madness."  MLB is here!  This will be my home to rant.

以上

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #662 on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:32 PM »
Trying to follow the great Matsuzaka's debut in Kaufmann Stadium right now and I'm at a PC with little or no Java installed so there's slim pickings online to follow the game...

Offline Kulkulkan

• Member+
« Reply #663 on: April 06, 2007, 06:49:56 AM »
Suffice it to say that Dice-K seems to be worth the hype! Just 1 run against him, a bases empty homer.  Humble man too, as he actually claimed to be disappointed in his performance!
What a wonderful world it is that has girls in it!
-Excepts from the Notebooks of Lazarus Long,
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #664 on: April 06, 2007, 07:33:26 AM »

He had some good luck with that K and CS double play, followed by the deep double hit to left.  Plus it's the Royals.

Still there are positives here:

-- Good command of his pitches.
-- Cool head on the field, esp all those bang-bang fielding plays that many MLB pitchers would make errors on (read: Detroit Tigers staff).
-- Unpredictable pitching pattern.  Plenty called third strikes there.

Looking forward to the great Matsuzaka-tai-Ichiro matchup next week!

I was also plenty impressed by Zack Greinke's performance on Thursday, for obvious reasons...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 07:35:31 AM by Saburo »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #665 on: April 06, 2007, 08:04:57 AM »
Bill Simmons of ESPN.com kept a running diary Thursday for the debut of Matsuzaka: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/070405&sportCat=mlb

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #666 on: April 08, 2007, 03:47:25 AM »
POW!

A-Rod's walk-off grand salami today was quite a sight.  Call him what you will but today I'll call him "hero."

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #667 on: April 08, 2007, 09:09:40 PM »
yeah, and I bet Giambi got more cheers. DUDE sure needed that early on. Dice K is NUTS huh!! 8 pitches, gyro ball?? No Wang for the Yanks for now.

here's an interesting article:

April 2, 2007
What Really Ruined Baseball
By J. C. BRADBURY
Atlanta

WITH an off-season that included Mark McGwire’s rejection by Hall of Fame voters, Barry Bonds’s continuing problems and accusations that Gary Matthews Jr. of the Angels had obtained human growth hormones, it’s hard not to think about the influence of performance-enhancing drugs this opening day.

The news media have focused on steroids because of the way the game has changed over the last decade, particularly the frequency with which batters now hit home runs. As Bob Costas said a year ago, the steroid era “didn’t evolve; it erupted,” adding, “You had players who were already in the big leagues in the late ’80s and early ’90s who never approached what they did from the mid 90s on. And that’s what made it so suspicious.”

Baseball commentators have been quick to blame performance-enhancing drugs. And while baseball has changed, the reason for that may be more innocent. In the two years since baseball instituted mandatory steroid testing with suspensions, the rate at which players hit home runs has stayed roughly the same. Additionally, more than half the major leaguers who have failed drug tests under this new regime are pitchers — the guys who serve up, not hit, the home runs.

The origin of the modern home run era can in fact be traced to the expansion of the league. In the 1990s, Major League Baseball grew to 30 teams from 26 — the Marlins and the Rockies joined in 1993, the Devil Rays and Diamondbacks in 1998. The influx of inferior talent filling those new roster spots fundamentally altered the competitive environment: it allowed elite players, especially hitters, to excel.

The evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould, an avid baseball fan, hypothesized that in competitive environments, as the variance of the quality of participants shrinks, opportunities for great performances diminish. For most of its history, the major leagues were progressively populated by better and better baseball players — through natural population growth, racial integration and immigration — which meant that opportunities for achievements like hitting .400 were decreasing. As superior players replaced the weakest ones, even the very best had fewer chances at turning in remarkable performances.

Expansion abruptly reversed the trend; today, the variance in quality of major league pitchers, based on E.R.A., is at an all-time high. By letting in the riffraff for baseball’s elite to exploit, expansion increased the likelihood of great achievements. Without even bringing steroids into the discussion, it is no surprise that some already fine hitters performed even better after the early 1990s.

The same phenomenon has occurred for ace pitchers, who faced more unseasoned batters. Since 1993, pitchers have accumulated 300 strikeouts in a season 11 times. In the 15 years preceding expansion it happened only four times. Couldn’t steroid use by elite pitchers explain this? Possibly. But talent dilution, not drugs, lies behind another curious and corresponding batting statistic: the rise in hit batters. From the beginning of the 20th century until 1993, nine batters were hit by a pitch at least 25 times in a season. Since that pivotal year it has happened 13 times. How would steroids cause more hit batters? It could be “roid rage,” but it’s more likely inferior pitchers, missing the strike zone way inside.

In the expansion era, home runs per game are up 30 percent over the previous decade, strikeouts 15 percent and hit batters a whopping 70 percent. All are likely the result of expansion’s dilution of pitching talent.

To many baseball fans the game has been ruined — hallowed records toppled, managers playing less small ball as they wait for that three-run homer. But the blame shouldn’t be placed on pills, needles and balms. The true culprit is expansion.

J. C. Bradbury, an economist and associate professor at Kennesaw State University, runs the Web site Sabernomics and is the author of “The Baseball Economist.”

SOURCE: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/02/opinion/02bradbury.html?em&ex=1175659200&en=ff4efaa9120207c6&ei=5087%0A

REALLY loved how Bob Costas ripped him up. Take a listen:

http://www.twitter.com/?d=YPIIASNT

He even mentoned Bradbury's book, which stated stuff like Lasik Eye surgery, Tommy John surgery -- IS THAT NATURAL XD XD
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 11:23:17 PM by daigong »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #668 on: April 11, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »
Here we go: Ichiro vs. Matsuzaka!

Mike Plugh puts it all in perspective on his blog, Matsuzaka Watch: http://matsuzaka.blogspot.com/2007/04/clash-of-titans.html

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #669 on: April 11, 2007, 10:34:01 PM »
REALLY loved how Bob Costas ripped him up. Take a listen:

http://www.twitter.com/?d=YPIIASNT

Thanks for the linkage, will check it out later.  Does Costas do radio daily, like Dan Patrick?

Plenty to debate here...  Before you blame expansion for the dilution of pitching you’d better check out population trends and its effect on the distribution of talent in MLB.  And I think you can pinpoint other factors in the increase of home runs and offensive counting statistics: stadium architecture, bat design, faulty umpiring…  All that shit counts too.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #670 on: April 12, 2007, 01:58:34 AM »
Woah, looked like a helluva game in Boston tonight.  King Felix one-hits the Bosox!

Stuck at work so will check out highlights later tonight...

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #671 on: April 12, 2007, 06:41:34 PM »
^ Np! he does a weekly show now "Costas on The Radio" -- I catch it on Saturdays around 5 pm Mountain Standard. see if u can listen to it at http://cfrn.com

FELIX was dealing man. 1 hitter!! so much for the entire Japanese nation waking up at 5 am to catch the game.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #672 on: April 15, 2007, 10:30:21 PM »
^ Np! he does a weekly show now "Costas on The Radio" -- I catch it on Saturdays around 5 pm Mountain Standard.

Dumb question here: HOW did you record this file?  I'd LOVE to get stuff like this for my iPod but no national radio program archives their stuff for guys like me who are usually at work and can't listen to any sort of program, terrestrial or otherwise.

Heck of a rant.  I'm still impressed when broadcasters like Costas can babble coherently for what seems like eons, yet still remain focused on topic.  You can't script something like that, it just comes from what you are.  Impressive.

I'm still uncomfortable about the emphasis on "performance-enhancing" drugs as THE reason for guys like Bonds and Sosa.  And tired of it all.  I'm still waiting for the triple-A vet whose breakout season with the .750 SLG mark and improved strike zone judgement is soley attributed to illegal drug usage.

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #673 on: April 16, 2007, 03:40:45 AM »
HAPPY JACKIE ROBINSON DAY!

Kei Igawa is stinking up the yankees rotation

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #674 on: April 16, 2007, 05:04:40 AM »
^ YUP!! So good to watch that Dodgers-Padres game with the WHOLE team in #42.  Ken Griffey and Barry Bonds also wore # 42 in honor of him.

And be sure to check out his foundation: http://www.jackierobinson.org/about/contact.php

DOWNLOAD Bob Costas interview with Rachel Robinson, Jackie's widow from this weekend:
http://www.twitter.com/?d=J2Q0I1A2

Talked about Branch Rickey. Movie. Decline of blacks in baseball smacks at Robinson legacy...sorry about the quality -- missed the first part, then we were pre-empted by Lacrosse -_-

Heck of a rant.  I'm still impressed when broadcasters like Costas can babble coherently for what seems like eons, yet still remain focused on topic. 

No dumb questions son! I just plug the radio into the "Line-In" on my soundcard and record straight up in Audacity (do a google, simple but lil more advanced recording program - recommended by karaokers suki and arian) Bob Costas is a fuckin genius. It's like take take, example example. summary. I can record random programs (dunno if u wanna listen to Ice Cube) and stick it in the Radio/Media thread. Or fuck, we should have a DL thread here.

I think it is just the way people train nowadays, better equipment and to just really shitty pitching.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #675 on: April 18, 2007, 10:55:46 PM »
Rachel Robinson, wife of the late Jackie Robinson, was in the broadcast booth for last Sunday's Dodgers-Padres game on ESPN.  I was really struck by how wonderfully articulate and down to earth she seems, in addition to looking superb for someone in her mid-EIGHTIES.  She really has carried on Jackie's legacy and then some, with her charity work and willingness to lend herself to MLB's publicity machine.

Jon Weisman, who blogs for "Dodger Thoughts" at Baseball Toaster, wrote a piece for SI-dot-com that pointed on how, in many ways, Jackie Robinson should be measured against the standards that Rachel Robinson put forth in her life: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/baseball/fungoes_blog/2007/04/nl-west-heres-to-mrs-robinson.html

Offline trueinnuendo

• Member+
« Reply #676 on: April 19, 2007, 01:24:05 AM »
Slow start by Yankees. No more ghosts for A-Rod?

Offline trueinnuendo

• Member+
« Reply #677 on: April 19, 2007, 08:55:04 PM »
Sorry but I have to post again. Another walk-off homer for A-Rod from the Indians -- going to Boston Mas. err Series! What an April for him!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #678 on: April 19, 2007, 10:27:43 PM »

Remarkable: another two-out walk-off job by A-Rod.  Can't wait to see the highlights later today.

Offline Jsmurf

• BUKKAKE!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #679 on: April 20, 2007, 02:44:08 AM »
will he be able to keep this up... and wasn't he like the most hated person in newyork last season  :p
anyways, i'll be following baseball more closely once the NBA playoffs is over.
Go Dodgers!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 03:09:22 AM by Jsmurf »
:shakeit:

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: IcePrincess - nanni mo iwazuni