JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Nanairo Piero

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 997609 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #3180 on: November 16, 2015, 08:39:30 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Mission 45 in MGSV is not only the worst mission in the game, but made by evil people. Why do they have to make the tanks so much stronger than they are in any other mission? Why am I spending tens of thousands of GMP just for am? Why can tanks shoot from across the map to kill me in one shot? Why can't I back out to the acc so I can change my load out and be better equipped for the mission like I can for any other one? Fucking WHY?!

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #3181 on: November 18, 2015, 03:39:43 AM »
This was some fun Halo 5 product placement

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3183 on: November 19, 2015, 03:15:46 PM »
Teletubbies recreated in GTA V !

Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3184 on: November 19, 2015, 10:45:17 PM »
Completed two games recently and was disappointed in both.

Telltale's Game of Thrones series started off pretty strongly, the conclusion to Episode 1 pretty much nailed on what makes the GOT series so interesting to me. But episodes 4-6 descended in story telling quality so badly that I just didn't really care about my choices anymore, because I could very clearly see through the cracks. I can see that ultimately none of my choices mattered because I could tell that people would have survived or died regardless of what I chose. This was all too apparent in a revelation at the end of episode 5 to the point where it actively broke the story. Because this 'twist' had to play out no matter what, the reasoning why this particular character had to do what he did made absolutely zero sense and went completely against his characters. Ultimately the writing wasn't as strong either, I didn't really care for any of the characters, most of them were cut outs as replacements for the Starks but without the character depth or progression. Shame, because Telltale's Walking Dead is excellent in this regard so was very excited for a GOT adaptation. Plus, the engine was sooooo bad. I played it on the PS3 so more fool me I guess, but good lord the techincal issues were so bad. Insane loading times characters in the background just standing completely still not even breathing and when the shit hit the fan all the game's audio except the voices had cut out entirely. Transitions between QTE's took tens of seconds so I spent looking at still frames rather than actual gameplay, dialogue was cut when trying to catch up. I won't be buying another Telltale game until this engine is fixed.

The second one I was disappointed by? MGS5. Now let me clarify and say that my disappointment lies in the story aspects, the actual act of playing the game, infiltrating bases etc is so good, easily the best playing game of the series. I had a few issues with the gameplay (very barren open world, no boss fights, takes far too long to choose to do a mission, load the game, fly in the helicopter etc, some stupid missions especially mission 46, holy fuck that's the worst mission maybe ever) but my main gripes were with how it all ended. I can't even begin to explain here as anyone who hasn't played the games will be confused. Let's just say, I came into MGS5 expecting gaps in the MGS timeline to be filled. So we can see how Big Boss went from the hero to the nuclear weapon using villian. And I didn't get that when the credits rolled. In fact, in terms of the timeline you can go from MGS3 to MGS1 in a straight line pretty easily. The events of Peace Walker and MGS5 don't really matter or have that huge an impact on your perception of the rest of the games. And I would be fine with that if the actual story was told well but it wasn't. Very little character development, the villian of the game was sorely underused and the way the game was designed with it's open ended mission based approach seems to have hurt the game's pacing a lot. The problem actually is that the ending to MGS3 is so good that it kind of backs up my idea that Peace Walker and MGS5 are unnecessary. You see Boss turn down that handshake at the end and you can make your own assumptions on why he turned. Overall, while it's a great game in itself, if the story is really lacking, it doesn't feel like a good Metal Gear game. You know? To think it could be the last one we ever get is also disappointing.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3186 on: November 30, 2015, 12:22:39 AM »
Got the Bloodborne DLC and it's just sublime. No other game this year creates such an amazing atmosphere and the DLC continues that in spades. Any excuse to play Bloodborne is a great one, and when the new DLC adds new areas, weapons, enemies and bosses I just cannot resist. I just defeated the first boss, Ludwig today and it's perhaps one of the best boss fights I've ever seen from Bloodborne or any of the Souls games for reasons I'm going to describe below and show below in my captured gameplay footage. (Some spoilers below for the first boss fight so look away if you want to experience the magic yourself!)

Playing the game of Bloodborme you read stories of Ludwig, The Hunter of the Church. He was a hero, a legend echoed across the tales of every generation of Hunters. When you meet what remains of him, he is nothing but a misshapen beast, constructed of limbs, a face warped and twisted to be no longer human. A monster like any other to be put down. The monster is savage, ruthless, brutal, and merciless. It gnashes and claws towards you, its bloodlust driving itself to kill you. After a long time (and many attempts from me later), the monster falls. It lies still in the pool of blood in its chamber. A faint, green glow in the shape of a sword then emanates beside the fallen beast in the darkness. It looks upon the blade. And then it speaks.

"Ah, you were at my side, all along." It picks up the sword, observing its cosmic splendour.

"My true mentor...my guiding moonlight..."

And it stands upright, looking down at you with sword raised in hand.  The music swells and changes from what it was previously to something else grandiose and so too does the name of the boss. It's no longer Ludwig the Accursed but Ludwig the Holy Blade. And you realise.

You are not facing a beast anymore.

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3187 on: December 02, 2015, 08:15:11 PM »
Anybody able to beat Starcraft ll Legacy of the Void's Last Stand mission? I can't beat it even on Normal difficulty :(
Beautifulest women of all time 1.)Kim Sohee 2.)Minatozaki Sana 3.)Myoui Mina 4.)Fukumura Mizuki 5.)Uemura Akari 6.)Yabuki Nako 7.)Oguri Yui 8.)Nashiko Momotsuki 9.)Na-yeon 10.)Ikuta Eripon

Offline hackata48

• Member+
  • TE HETA HADA WODA! -Quote from 'Frenzy'ability TWA
« Reply #3188 on: December 03, 2015, 05:11:18 PM »
Just preordered XCOM 2 and I can't wait to put the AKB girls in it fighting aliens Bokutachi wa style.

Anyone preordered or plans to get XCOM 2? :hip smile:

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3189 on: December 06, 2015, 01:44:10 AM »
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/05/yakuza-5-launches-december-8th-yakuza-0-coming-to-the-americas/

Awesome. I was preparing for Yak 5 to be out on the 31st. More than happy that it will be out in 3 days.  Don't find myself excited for 0 though, even when it was originally announced in Japan.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3190 on: December 06, 2015, 02:53:54 AM »
Holy crap FF7 remake footage!

Barrett looks and sounds so cool! Combat looks great too, I'd love to see more of it as the other characters considering you could see yourself play as Cloud or Barrett. The original game will always be there should I need to go back to it for turn based combat etc. I just can't see the remake keeping the same pace as the original though. The original story lasts for so long that it's hard to imagine them remaking everything in the level of detail we already saw in that trailer. I can see them maybe cutting out the overworld entirely. Otherwise this game will not come out anytime soon. This time 2017 even looks not nearly enough. Look at how delayed FFXV and KH3 have been after all. I want to be wrong though! More importantly I want to have the remake in my hands now!

The Playstation experience event also revealed Ni No Kuni 2! The first was exceptionally charming even if the combat did become stale the further you went into it. Hope they took some feedback on board for the sequel but even at that, the game looks gorgeous.

Offline scorn

• オナニー
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3191 on: December 06, 2015, 02:43:19 PM »
So FF7: ARPG ver in the style of FF15?

Offline vlinorman

• Member+
« Reply #3192 on: December 07, 2015, 01:28:49 AM »
The game actually looked amazing when it was out in 1997.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #3193 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »

The late Satoru Iwata's birthday was yesterday and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth now has a daily challenge in his honor. The daily challenge is a run that is identical to everyone trying it. You can play it several times, but you only get one attempt at a score with leaderboards in the end. Some special days are specifically tailored to feel, well, special. I only noticed this one less than an hour before the time was up, glad I just barely got a run in.

In the run, Isaac was replaced with Iwata and started with a Game Kid (Game Boy) and a (NES) Cartridge. The run was full of Nintendo-themed items from the game, first treasure room had a Crown of Light that was both appropriate for Iwata and also a sort of a Zelda 1 reference (more power at full health). Onward it was different mushroom powerups, Gnawed leaf (tanooki tail), Trinity shield and so on. A really nice homage to the man.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #3194 on: December 17, 2015, 04:17:24 AM »
Hideo Kojima gets a beard. Everything is good. :D

Report: Kojima Finally Leaves Konami To Start His Own Studio
http://kotaku.com/report-kojima-finally-leaves-konami-to-start-his-own-s-1748162428

Hideo Kojima Is Working With Sony On A PS4 Console Exclusive
http://kotaku.com/its-official-hideo-kojima-is-working-with-sony-on-a-ps-1748265892

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #3195 on: December 20, 2015, 02:57:36 AM »
I was given a year of EA Access, if you are considering it, my opinion is that it's not worth it. The EA vault is the selling point, and all the games they have are about a year old. Anything new is limited to a trial, the sale may be 10% off, but it's pointless if you can get the same thing 25% off at the store ie SW: Battlefront.  You don't own the games, you can access them only as  long as you're a member.  If you're ok playing a bunch of old games, then you may like it.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3196 on: December 20, 2015, 02:26:21 PM »
My best run at playing as Boba Fett yet. Started and finished this match as him with 22 kills. He's one of the most fun heroes to play as, with his jetpack and wrist rocket.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3197 on: January 01, 2016, 01:26:42 PM »
I have to mention one of my game pet peeves: when the game introduces some pretty nifty strategical skills or spells that make you think you should use them in a boss battle - and then the boss is immune to them >_<

I used to have this issue in Final Fantasy games a lot; try a spell on a boss and IMMUNE IMMUNE IMMUNE. Same with guardian forces/whatever-they-are-named-in-this-game and others. Bosses are either immune or able to send the GFs away. What exactly are the "big guns" for if not boss battles? Why is the player not supposed to be able to use all that she's got on boss fights? It reeks of poor planning if the boss is made tougher by such ridiculous means.

I'm currently having a really tough time doing a (somewhat) pacifist run on Skyrim. Basically I don't want to kill anything myself, but if a follower decides to do it, I'm not going to stop them. (Sadly follower kills count in my stats.) However, it's still early in the game and I don't have a follower yet.
Anyway, illusion spells are basically useless to all undead etc. until you hit skill level 100. In some places you can lure them into traps, but not all dungeons have traps. Or if they do, the traps aren't strong enough, e.g. just some poisoned arrows and the undead are immune to poison. The spell turn undead is useless because it just makes the undead run away for a bit, but they will then know that I'm around and I won't be able to hide again unless I run a long way back behind some corner, and then I'm just back to square one. And even if I somehow made it to the end of the dungeon with a human I need to defeat, that human will be too high level for my spells to work on him.
Basically it feels like a ton of skills are useless unless you are a high (skill) level. What's the point in having useless skills? Yes I get it, I'm not "supposed" to go into certain dungeons until I've killed a bunch of useless wolves and bandits first, get it. How fun and so much freedom in this play style, for sure.

It just annoys me that the game on the surface gives options for different types of playstyles, but in reality it still just wants you to kill everything by traditional means and you better not invest in the "quirkier" choices of illusion and restoration. :/ And if you do, you better be ready to just spam muffle a billion times to get access to actually useful illusion spells and skills.
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3198 on: January 02, 2016, 02:52:45 AM »
^ Seems like you hit the nail on the head when you said that the game doesn't accommodate for pacifist playthroughs. The game's built around some form of combat so it's either not possible or very difficult to play the game and get any satisfaction if you don't engage with those mechanics to some degree to continue the playstyle you want. I'm finding the same is true of Fallout 4. While not for me, I do recognise the appeal of a playthrough of someone who goes into abandoned cities and settlements to scavange it for resources to bring back and making their settlement bigger and better and engage in trade with others etc. But then it's very hard to do that when these places all have raiders, monsters etc right there. Even in the wilderness too. I get that Fallout's world is very much more hinged around survival than say Skyrim so to be someone who isn't carrying a weapon in that world doesn't make much sense, but even so. Is there no way to mod the game so you can bypass enemies more easily? Turn yourself permanently invisible before entering a cave or something?

I think the best game that uses status effects or using elements to your advantage against enemies are the Shin Megami Tensei games like Persona. That whole combat system is built on you exploiting enemies weaknesses like fire, ice, lightning etc. It not only gives you more damage points but also rewards you with an additional turn to act again before the enemy does. Similarly, enemies can exploit any of your party member's weaknesses as well and receive the same benefits with extra damage and gaining turns, so it pays to consider having a balanced party for the fight and defend yourself whilst also doing what you can to exploit enemy weaknesses etc. Makes each enemy encounter, even with the smaller ones, more engaging then just grinding through them.

Speaking of Fallout 4, I'm enjoying it, some changes are really nice like the shooting feels a lot better but it is essentially another Fallout 3. For all the time taken since then and with a new generation of consoles to boot, I was secretly hoping for more of a bigger improvement but it's still a good game that I'm currently enjoying for the time being. I'm not sure about the dialog system, sometimes the responses don't seem to match up with the tone or even the wording with what my character actually says which is bad. Wish I could see the exact response I want to say just like in the previous game. Also, it's very weird they have this player character, someone who's been frozen in time essentially for 200 years, then leave the vault and not be fazed at all by the creatures or inhabitants or even the post nuclear apocalypse wasteland itself. Even when you approach NPC's they're like "Hey" and you're like "Hey". Not "WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE, WHY ARE THERE 2 HEADED COWS EVERYWHERE" which is what the character should be like when seeing other living people for the first time! None of those NPC characters seem to care that you're someone who walked out of the vault either. They have this fish out of water character that they could have done interesting things with from that angle but instead chose to do nothing which I wish they did something with rather than nothing. I assume it's because the developers or writers made it assuming the player already knows about super mutants and deathclaws etc so there's no need to re introduce them but even so, it's very weird to have that be part of the character at all in that case other than showing off what the area was like in game before the bombs fell.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #3199 on: January 02, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
^ Yeah I've had trouble getting into Fallout 4, partly because I kept bumping into bandits who had an endless supply of molotovs and missile launchers and it was just so over-the-top and ridiculous. And yeah, hostile creatures everywhere, and I'm at the beginning corner of the map! It felt exhausting, really. It's as if when you start playing you have to be 100% amped up to start shooting everything that moves 'n shit, and... well, I'm the person who is trying to do a pacifist run on Skyrim. I like to feel smart even if I'm not very, and FO4 hasn't given me that option yet...
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Yaida Hitomi - Nanairo Piero