JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - 4 Walls

Author Topic: Official NCAA Basketball Thread  (Read 34682 times)

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
Official NCAA Basketball Thread
« on: February 11, 2006, 08:11:50 PM »
MARCH MADNESS is just a block away

so lets start with the potential #1 draft pick:

Morrison: NBA teams shouldn't worry about illness

SPOKANE, Wash. -- The biggest whispered question NBA folks have about Adam Morrison is whether he can handle the rigors of the pro schedule while dealing with diabetes.

Well, Morrison has an answer for them: Don't fret.

He's not. Never has. Never will.

Morrison's unbelievably special, entertaining junior season has pro scouts seriously debating whether to select him No. 1 in the NBA draft, if he declares. The floppy-haired, '70s-stache-stylin' shooting forward leads the country in scoring.

But nearly lost is the fact that he plays with a disease that constantly has to be managed.

There are no days off for a diabetic like Morrison. None. That doesn't mean Morrison isn't ready to handle the rigors of the NBA.

"I played those three straight games in Maui, one being three overtimes, and played 52 minutes [and scored 43 points against Michigan State], and that proved that I can play at a high level," Morrison said. "My body was fine, my blood sugars were fine, because I maintain them."

And, when he gets to the NBA, whether that's this summer or next, he will have his own army to ensure he doesn't slip.

"I'll have somebody to cook for me, a nutritionist to set up meals to what he/she thinks could help me out for games and stuff like that," Morrison said. "I'll hire somebody to make sure all my supplies are there. The games are tough, but correct me if I'm wrong, the practices aren't as grueling as some of the college ones."

To understand how Morrison deals with diabetes, you must go back and hear how this all unfolded.

His father, John, a former junior college coach, says he knew something was wrong with Adam in eighth grade when he was getting tired a lot. He was playing ball but always feeling fatigued. And then, one day after a game, the two of them went to Subway. John said Adam had finished his foot-long sub before he had taken a bite. Adam then wanted half of his father's within minutes. A friend told John that he thought Adam didn't look right. He already had an appointment for him to see a doctor, but he called and took Adam in immediately. The doctor said Adam's numbers were off the charts and needed to be treated. Diabetes, according to John Morrison, does run in the family.

"I just remember being real sick for a good month," Adam Morrison said. "I went to camp and I had three points the whole weekend and I knew something was wrong with me. I couldn't function. I couldn't do anything. I started losing weight and would always be hungry and thirsty. I just remember getting the call and heading to the emergency room."

Morrison said he was in the emergency room in a Spokane hospital when a doctor came in and delivered his life-changing news, something that one would think could be devastating to an eighth-grader.

"I went from one day eating anything to someone telling you, 'You can't eat this, you gotta eat this,' and 'It's time to take a shot,' and it was like, 'Whoa.' " Morrison said.

"I was scared when I was in the emergency room, but after that everyone thought I would be scared, but I wasn't," Morrison said. "I knew if I would just take this seriously I would be fine. My doctor told me I could lead a normal life."

From the first time he needed a shot of insulin, Morrison handled it. Even as an eighth-grader, Morrison took control of the situation and wouldn't let anyone else take/give the shot but him.

"The nurse said, 'Do you want to do it or I can do it?' and I said, 'I'll do it,' so I never would have to rely on somebody else doing it for me," Morrison said.

Morrison's routine is rigid. He eats three meals a day at a "normal" time, at least three hours apart. He checks his blood sugar and ensures he gets enough sleep. On game day, he eats the same breakfast (cereal and toast), same lunch (sub sandwich) and dinner (steak and baked potato two hours and 15 minutes before every game).

"I've gotten to the point where I've never had a bad blood/sugar level where it's affected me in a game," Morrison said. "As you can see, I've prepared my body to where I can play at a high-level for very high minutes. I knew there was a misconception coming into this year where I couldn't play at a high-level with this disease. But I can take care of my body just like everyone else."

He has juice, protein bars, all the "emergency stuff," including medicine lined up courtside for practices and games. He'll check himself throughout the course of both. He said he has had a few modest lapses in the past eight years.

"I've been close (like passing out or something), because there are going to be days where stuff goes wrong," Morrison said. "But nothing too serious."

The toughest part of dealing with it for Morrison is not always being the footloose college kid.

"I'm not going to say I don't have a good time every once in a while, but there's always the added pressure of doing all the stuff that's not good for your body. Being in college, it's hard not to but you've got to be mentally tough, and I've done a pretty good job so far," Morrison said.

Morrison said the feeling when he needs a shot, a boost, is pretty much the same as if you or I didn't eat all day and were lightheaded.

"You're just kind of shaky," Morrison said. "Have you ever not eaten lunch and gone to play hoops? That's what it feels like pretty much. Your body just craves sugar and once you get it in your body, you start coming back and feeling better."

Morrison is aware of his status as a potential role model.

"It would be nice to get the message out this disease kills a lot of people in America a year and a lot of people go without the proper medical supplies because it's very expensive," Morrison said. "If you don't have insurance it's hard to afford all the stuff you need. It would be nice to get on a bigger forum and get that message out and hopefully I can change some things."

Until then, he's on a mission to ensure any NBA personnel director or general manager who has had doubts about his condition no longer will.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 09:58:43 AM »
Yo, Adam Morrison got a career high 44 the other nite!

March 16 is when we bring out our brackets!?

Loving USC upsetting UCLA!!

Crazy Coaches: Indiana's Mike Davis + Missouri's Quinn Snyder resigning. Eddie Sutton drunkeness. doesn't top this old news gem:

Conference USA said Monday that officials "exercised poor judgment" when they upheld a technical foul called on Houston coach Tom Penders after he collapsed Saturday during a game against UAB.

Penders passed out on the sideline late in the first half of Houston's 82-79 loss and was carried off the floor on a stretcher and given oxygen. He returned to coach the second half.

and Stanford's Drunk Tree Mascot :lol:

Quote from: Jim Rome
I think you all know my feelings on mascots. Basically, they are stupid. Some student, dressed in a beaver, or a lion or a bear costume, jumping around next to the cheerleaders, bringing absolutely nothing to the game. The only time you even notice these freaks is when they accidentally light themselves on fire, break their legs or otherwise maim themselves with their absurd stunts. Well, now you can add being drunk during a game to that long list of distinguished accomplishments.

The Stanford Tree, as far as stupid mascots go, this might be the stupidest, has been fired from her duties after she showed up for a basketball game against Cal with a blood-alcohol level of 0.157. That would be nearly twice the legal limit in the State of California. Erin Lashnits, a 5th year senior, and the loser inside the tree was stripped of her oh-so-prestigious ‘tree’ responsibilities, which are part of the band. The band had already been placed on ‘alcohol suspension’ which means there was a zero tolerance policy in effect toward drunkenness.

Band spokesperson Sam Urmy said that Lashnits was whacked to avoid disciplinary action from the athletic department. “We don’t want to risk our core mission of rocking out and bringing funk to the funkless”, explained Urmy.

Let me help you with something here. Let me tell you exactly what your ‘core mission’ is. Your core mission is to remind the rest of the world exactly what band geeks are. To remind everyone why they beat you up in high school, how big of a loser you are. That’s your ‘core mission’ and you are succeeding spectacularly. Trust me; no one is going ton miss the tree.

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 12:19:31 AM »
March Madness biggest choker... (prediction)

DUKE!!!!! WHOOOO  :D

i mean no one can stop them from choking... they just can't handle the pressure watsoever.. JJ reddick is overrated
Life is so much fun when you are able to find and piss someone off everyday and watch them make a fool out of themselves... thatz Life for ya

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 02:35:34 AM »
I heard JJ reddick is now Duke's all time leading scorer. ain't he like a 5th year guy?

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 11:29:07 PM »
Quote from: daigong
I heard JJ reddick is now Duke's all time leading scorer. ain't he like a 5th year guy?

its his 4th yr i think? (senior)
he will be a Kyle Krover in the NBA

and of course... rarely any duke player is good in the NBA (except like elton brand)
Life is so much fun when you are able to find and piss someone off everyday and watch them make a fool out of themselves... thatz Life for ya

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 05:24:09 AM »
AH HAHAHAHA

#1 Duke Blue Devils choked today against the unranked Florida State Seminals 79-74

WHOOOOO, and hopefully UNC can wrap up the season by beating Duke @ Duke and get the momentum going for MARCH MADNESSSSSS!!!

Offline Thimas X

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 11:53:31 AM »
:evil: Duke needs to win their  games. They're probably going to choke in the tournament too...

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 09:35:44 AM »
lol Duke guys are fine. What about Maggette?

but hey y'all check it out.

http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod

If you didn't register in time, I made an account for all of us to use:

userid: jphip
password: jphip4life

Selection Sunday is coming up!

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 05:19:53 PM »
UNC vs. Duke TONIGHT....

YES TONIGHT 9:00 EST

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
Go Tarheels!!

Hey. Let's up the stakes!!

TOURNAMENT PICK EM!

http://tournament.fantasysports.yahoo.com/men
Group Name:     JPH!P March Madness 2006

Choose "Join Private Group"

then enter:

Group ID#: 8203
Group Password    rika

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 05:16:42 AM »
77-71, overated JJ Reddick miss another 3-pointer (wat a surprise), but Demarcus Nelson hits a 3-pter with 1:40 left on the clock
the score is 77-74

JJ Redick fouls Bobby Frasor, Frasor hits both freethrow 79-74, Sheldon Williams dunks the ball (79-76)...

Demarcus Nelson draws quick foul, Tyler Hansbrough hits both 3-pointer 81-76, with one second left, duke fouls again, Tyler Hansbrough hits both free throws

and University of North Carolina Tar Heels (15) Upsets #1 Duke Blue Devils

of course overrated JJ Reddick made 5 out of 21 shots, 2 for 10 in 3-pointers.... wow.... choked again

MVP of the game Tyler Hansbrough, with 27 points, (1 3-pt made and 8-9 from the line) WHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Awesome prank
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2006, 11:35:12 PM »

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 12:44:01 AM »
Damn, Temple beats George Washington and Syracuse beat UConn...

looks like G Wash lost their shot @ one of the #1 seed

most likely... UConn, Duke, Villanova, and Gonzaga mayb OSU for #1 seed

Offline Thimas X

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 04:09:34 PM »
Syracuse makes it all the way. What a Cinderalla story.

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 02:42:42 AM »
Printable Bracket is out

WHOOOOOOOO MARCH MADNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!  :w00t:

Printable Bracket here..

Offline Dronak

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 03:21:24 AM »
Quote from: scrock7
Damn, Temple beats George Washington and Syracuse beat UConn...

And #2 Villanova (my alma mater) lost to #15 Pittsburgh.  I doubt anyone expected both U.Conn. and Villanova to knocked out of the Big East tournament.

Quote from: scrock7
most likely... UConn, Duke, Villanova, and Gonzaga mayb OSU for #1 seed

Pretty close.  As you noted, the NCAA tournament brackets are available now, and the #1 seeds went to U.Conn., Duke, Villanova, and Memphis.  Gonzaga got a #3 seed in the same bracket as Memphis.  Ohio State got a #2 seed in Villanova's bracket.

Also, having 8 Big East teams in the tournament has broken the conference record of 7, which both the Big East and the Big Ten have done before.  Just another little note of something interesting I saw while skimming some articles.

Offline scrock7

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 03:26:37 AM »
i kinda feel bad for Xavier... they won the A-10 tourny and they get to play Gonzaga first round.... dats rough

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 09:18:29 PM »
What the Hell?
We have to play Syracuse in Round 1 on 3/16
texas gets to play Pennsylvania.

Offline Thimas X

• Member+
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 04:31:06 PM »
Duke all the way  :scratch

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 05:43:41 PM »
Who filled out their NIT brackets?  I've got Louisville going all the way! :lol:

JPHiP Radio (14/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: f(x) - 4 Walls