JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Spica - Russian Roulette

Author Topic: Cowboy Bebop the live action movie  (Read 11256 times)

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
"This isn’t an invention, it’s a responsibility. We need to study this, and if we find that it will help mankind move peacefully forward, then we shall share it’s teachings, because we are not only men of science, we are men of hope."

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Cowboy Bebop the live action movie
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »
What does the Matrix, A Scanner Darkly, The Devil's Advocate, Constantine, The Lakehouse, and Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey have in common? ... they were all have producer credit by Erwin Stoff. And all star Keanu Reeves. I do not want Keanu Reeves mixed up with Cowboy Bebop.

QFT. I personally don't wish to see Keanu as Spike.

Having said that, you don't really have to do all that much to make Cowboy Bebop accessible to a Western audience. All it needs is a good cast and script. I'm kinda 50/50 on the whole thing at the minute.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:33:47 PM »
Sheesh, another one....... they just can't leave well enough alone, can they?

Bebops a classic, as far as I'm concerned, so I really wouldn't want to see it touched by hollywood and made into a live action... unless it is done right from the get go, but in all honesty, I don't want to see Keanu as Spike, either.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:38:14 PM »
You know, I never mind Hollywood re-making stuff anymore (we have to face it, they're running out of ideas), as long as they get a damn good script and cast and manage to pull it off.

But Keanu...? Not sure how to react to that yet.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:50:15 PM »
Keanu is an underrated actor. It's too early to pass judgment in my opinion.

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 06:52:23 PM »
Keanu is an underrated actor. It's too early to pass judgment in my opinion.

Definitely, I like him as an actor, I'm just unsure for now about him taking on this role.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »
Yes Keanu's underrated and probably more renowned for saying 'woah' than from any of his acting roles, but as a Bebop fan, I don't think he's suited to play Spike. Besides I don't think anyone's been casted, just pointing out what I like to call a coinky-dink (coincidence :D)

Sheesh, another one....... they just can't leave well enough alone, can they?

Yeah it's just the way Hollywood is I'm afraid. This, Death Note, Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Dragonball plus the game-movie adaptations that are springing out of the ground. Just have to hope at least one of them will be decently filmed.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 07:08:46 PM by Tuffty »

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »
I'm not so much worried about Keanu as I am the music. Yoko Kanno's music helped make that series and anything different would totally kill it, imo. Especially if they go and westernize it.

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
I like Keanu, not sure about him playing Spike, but I'd give him a chance. Hopefully they keep the feel of the series intact (music and all especially, like mini said).

But fuuuuuck, why must they do this with something so perfect?

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:40:09 PM »
Keanu is way too surfer dude to be Spike. He was never able to play the "cool" guy that well.

But the idea is very plausible. The series was all about style anyways, and as long as they don't break away from it, I could see this turning out better than what people expect. Other than that, they need to get a good design team and CG company(which doesn't seem like a problem considering past projects) and as mini*wheat said get Yoko Kanno into this, or it will be total fail.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:08:52 AM »
I could care less about the movie, but if they get Yoko Kanno to to do the soundtrack I will be all over that like white on rice.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »
This is interesting.  Cowboy Bebop was a wonderful anime. 

re: Keanu Reeves,
Ever since Heath Ledger was called in to be the Joker, I will never doubt someone's acting ability again until i see the performance.  Is he really spike?  i don't think i saw it in the article.

I wonder who's gonna play Faye Valentine =)
word.

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 07:20:10 PM »
Update with info from imdb. Erwin Stoff: "Manager of Keanu Reeves (since Reeves was 16)", one of the producers of The Day the Earth Stood Still remake with Keanu, and producer of 12 Keanu Reeves movies. I think Keanu is pretty much cast for this. They can make it a very stylish movie with almost anyone "hot" right now, mess with the characters, add a r&b, hip hop, and maybe some jazz soundtrack and people will love it. This will probably be for people who never saw the show or movie.

I predict Abigail Breslin as edward for marketing reasons. Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie or Halle Berry as Faye. Brian Cox or Harrison Ford as Jet. A cg creation as ein. Keanu as Spike. Music by Branford Marsalis, Wynton Marsalis, Timbaland, Pharell, Herbie Hancock or maybe Gabriela Robin.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 09:18:49 PM by claymore »
"This isn’t an invention, it’s a responsibility. We need to study this, and if we find that it will help mankind move peacefully forward, then we shall share it’s teachings, because we are not only men of science, we are men of hope."

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:20 PM »
Charlize Theron, Angelina Jolie or Halle Berry as Faye. Brian Cox or Harrison Ford as Jet.

You'd be kidding yourself if you think you're getting big names such as those for a movie like this. Any anime or game to live action film conversion tends to attract actors already versed in, shall we say, 'geek' culture so you're looking at actors in sci-fi films or TV before. If you ask me, you're looking at names like Kristen Kreuk (Smallville, Street Fighter) or Mila Kunis (Family Guy, Max Payne) for Faye, and say maybe Ron Perlman as Jet (though thinking about it, he wouldn't be such a bad casting IMO)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 10:52:16 PM »
ron perlman as jet could totally work. keanu as spike is epic fail. kreuk and kunis are hot, but are NOT faye.

if they want a good movie script just take the bebop movie and make it live-action

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2008, 02:06:01 AM »
Music must be bebop, or at least some kind of jazz. Otherwise the whole concept won't work.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2008, 03:20:31 PM »
^
I most definitely agree with that.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline claymore

• Shining Hustler
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2008, 10:29:15 PM »
I was not being serious about the casting just imagining how off the casting would be. Charlize did Aeon Flux, Angelina did Wanted and Tomb Raider, and Halle did Catwoman so they are not super picky about roles. Brian Cox does tons of movies. The movie can have a horrible script and bad cast but still do well if people like the effects, music and at least one of the actors.

A Timbaland and Pharrell soundtrack would be enough for most movie fans. Did anyone notice that I mentioned this "Erwin Stoff: "Manager of Keanu Reeves (since Reeves was 16)", one of the producers of The Day the Earth Stood Still remake with Keanu, and producer of 12 Keanu Reeves movies. I think Keanu is pretty much cast for this."

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 03:23:22 AM »
Honestly I never understood the hype about CB. It's an ok anime, surely above average but still I don't get it.
Maybe a flat characterized actionpacked hollywood remake is what I need to finally convince me of the greatness of the show ^^i

But I can't see Keanu as Spike either.

And for Faith you all overlooked the No.1 Geek Actress predestined to play all female kick-ass tough girl with gun characters in this genre: Milla Jovovich  XD

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 06:27:52 AM »
milla could not play FAYE. Faye's tits are bigger than milla's whole body XD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:13:15 AM by tenkei »

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Spica - Russian Roulette