JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Spica - Russian Roulette

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 546764 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1000 on: February 27, 2009, 07:50:41 AM »
Tortorella named head coach of Rangers

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has named John Tortorella as the team’s new Head Coach. Tortorella, 50, becomes the 34th Head Coach in the 83-year history of the Rangers. He returns to the organization after serving as Head Coach of the Tampa Bay Lightning for seven seasons. Under his guidance, Tampa Bay compiled a 239-222-36-38 record in 535 games. He led the Lightning to four consecutive Stanley Cup Playoff appearances, including two Southeast Division Championships in 2002-03 and 2003-04.

In 2003-04, Tortorella guided Tampa Bay to a franchise record 46 wins and 106 points, and went on to capture the club’s first Stanley Cup Championship.  He was awarded the Jack Adams Award as the National Hockey League’s top coach following that season. Tortorella joined Tampa Bay following a one-year stint with the Rangers in 1999-2000 where he was an Assistant Coach and served as Head Coach for the final four games of the season. Prior to joining the Rangers, he spent two seasons as an Assistant Coach with the Phoenix Coyotes.  He joined Phoenix during the 1997-98 season, after spending the previous eight seasons with the Buffalo Sabres organization.

Tortorella served as an Assistant Coach with the Sabres from 1989-90 to 1994-95 and as Head Coach with their American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate, the Rochester Americans, during the 1995-96 and 1996-97 campaigns.  He guided the club to the Calder Cup championship in 1995-96. The Boston, Mass., native spent two seasons as General Manager and Head Coach of the Virginia Lancers of the Atlantic Coast Hockey League (ACHL) from 1986-87 to 1987-88, where he compiled a 73-24-1-0 record to earn Coach of the Year honors both seasons, along with the league championship during the 1986-87 campaign.  Following the 1987-88 season, Tortorella joined the Fort Wayne Komets of the International Hockey League (IHL) during their 1988 playoff run before serving as an Assistant Coach with the New Haven Nighthawks (AHL) in 1988-89.

Prior to joining the coaching ranks, Tortorella played at Salem State College before transferring to the University of Maine Black Bears of the East Coast Athletic Conference (ECAC), where he skated for three seasons as a right winger.  As a member of the Black Bears, Tortorella registered 26 goals and 52 assists for 78 points, along with 133 penalty minutes in 65 games, and was twice named an ECAC All-Star. After playing in Sweden, he returned to North America to skate in the ACHL with the Hampton Roads Gulls, Erie Golden Blades and Virginia Lancers, recording 98 goals and 160 assists for 258 points, along with 302 penalty minutes in 200 games over four seasons.
http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app?articleid=410744&page=NewsPage&service=page

Interesting choice. I liked Renney a lot but I agree that something had to be done since the team has been fucking shitty lately. Anyways guys like Näslund and Drury better step their game up cause Tortorella ain't afraid to call out them star players XD

:lol:

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1001 on: March 01, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »
Moreau OUCH

Offline TaeFany

• Fany!
  • Sleeping to Fany World!
« Reply #1002 on: March 02, 2009, 12:40:47 AM »
C'mon!! Go Rangers!
Drury!! Start making goals!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1003 on: March 04, 2009, 11:02:51 AM »
Rangers claim Avery from Stars

Sean Avery is back for a Broadway revival.

The New York Rangers put in a claim for the buzz-worthy forward Tuesday and since no team below them in the standings did so by the noon ET deadline, the Blueshirts got their man and the rest of his four-year, $15.5 million contract at half the price. Dallas is on the hook for the other half, roughly $1.9 million per over the next three seasons.

Avery, who had been playing with the Rangers' American Hockey League affiliate in Hartford, is likely going to practice with the Rangers Wednesday morning and could suit up for their game Thursday night on Long Island against the New York Islanders.

Avery hasn't played an NHL game since Nov. 30. Avery was suspended for six games and ordered to receive anger-management counseling by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman following vulgar and unsolicited on-camera remarks he made in Calgary on Dec. 2.

"I think it'll be great," Rangers captain Chris Drury told reporters. "The only two things I need to know and I think the other guys in this room need to know are: One, he wants to be here, wants to be a Ranger. And, second, he wants to win a Stanley Cup. What more could you ask for of a teammate?"

New York fit Avery like a glove in his first stint with the Rangers, who got him from Los Angeles in a trade on Feb. 5, 2007. His agitating ways gave the Rangers energy. He had 23 goals, 30 assists and 212 penalty minutes in 86 games spread across two seasons.

But the team he returns to has quite a different look than the one he left. Most notably, the Rangers recently changed head coaches, replacing the easygoing and player-friendly Tom Renney with the brutally honest and tough-minded John Tortorella, who may already have a conflict with Avery.

As an analyst on TSN when Avery made comments in Calgary, Tortorella said Avery had no business being in the NHL. Now, Tortorella appears ready to give Avery a second chance.

"I coach this situation just like (with) every other player," Tortorella told reporters at the Rangers' practice facility in Greenburgh, N.Y. Tuesday afternoon. "I believe in team concept. I believe in a team helping one another and not stepping out, hurting a team concept. To me, that's the way I'm going to approach this situation. I know there's going to be a lot of people want(ing) information and turn this into a bigger thing. Sean Avery is a player coming into the New York Rangers organization. We want him to fit in and play under a team concept. If he does that we feel he can be effective.

"He's a player like any other player we might pick up in the next day or so," the coach continued. "My role is to teach him. To me it's easy because I'm doing the same thing with these guys. Sean's just five or six days behind, as far as with me."

The players are ready to let bygones be bygones as well.

"We already turned the page here with the new coaching staff and we played a lot better the last three games. He's going to be one of 20 guys and have to bring something to the table," goalie Henrik Lundqvist said according to Newsday. "We'll see. It's hard to say now. He brings a lot of energy. He plays with passion every night. He's a really good hockey player when he focuses on the game.

"Whoever comes into this room is going to have to adjust to the people who are here and to the system."

Drury doesn't think Avery will have any trouble fitting into Tortorella's "Safe is death" system. It's vastly different from Renney's defense-first approach.

"I think he's going to love it," Drury said. "No question he's an in-your-face, up tempo player, always moving his feet, finishing checks. I think he's going to thrive in it."

The Rangers and Avery parted ways over the summer due to conflicts in contract negotiations. At the urging of co-General Manager Brett Hull, Dallas signed Avery to a contract on July 2, 2008. As a rookie for the Detroit Red Wings in 2001-02, Avery lived with Hull for a short while and the 700-goal scorer went to bat for the feisty winger turned Vogue intern.

Avery, though, played only 23 games in a Stars' uniform with 10 points and 77 penalty minutes. He never meshed with his new teammates and after some unfiltered on-camera comments he made to reporters in Calgary he was susupended by Bettman.

The NHL reinstated Avery early last month. He was initially waived by Dallas on Feb. 7 and cleared two days later. Dallas and the Rangers agreed he could join the Hartford Wolf Pack on Feb. 10. It was the first public sign of the Rangers' renewed interest in him.

With the trade deadline approach, the Stars called Avery up on Monday, subjecting him to re-entry waivers for 24 hours. Any team could claim him and the one lowest in the standings would get him. It's unknown if any team ahead of the Rangers in the standings put in a claim for Avery.

"You can't give up on people," Tortorella said. "It still may not work out in certain situations, but I still think (until) players mature, we just don't have a handle on that. If we knew when players were going to mature mentally, then it wouldn't be any fun as we go through here because we'd have all the answers."

Tortorella said he was unsure where Avery fit into the Rangers' lineup that he's still just getting to know. However, he senses the team could use someone like Avery.

"We feel, especially in the division, we need a little more jam on our team," Tortorella said. "Hopefully (Avery) can kick in a couple of goals. When he's concentrating on playing under a team concept, he's an effective player. That's what we're looking for. He's really tried to help himself and Glen believes in second chances. I think he's done his homework here and we'll see where it goes."

Ranger waive pair -- According to various reports, the Rangers also placed forward Aaron Voros and injured defenseman Eric Reitz on waivers Tuesday, sending a message that perhaps they have another transaction in the works. Voros signed a three-year contract with the club over the summer and Reitz, a restricted free agent after the season, was acquired in a trade with Minnesota on Jan. 29.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=411926

Welcome back, Sean! :twothumbs

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1004 on: March 04, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
The trade deadline is in 5 hours! Watch TSN's Tradecentre 09 live @ http://www2.tsn.ca/window/tradecentre.aspx

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1005 on: March 04, 2009, 06:22:20 PM »
Ain't shit happened yet :yawn:

edit: Finally some action!

Maybe Jokinen will finally get to play in the playoffs :P

edit #2: The 2nd big trade!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 07:38:20 PM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1006 on: March 04, 2009, 08:25:08 PM »
HAHAHA Calgary you cocksuckers!! Hope Jokinen chokes! :twisted:

C'mon OILERS make a move!

SHIT I wanted Guerin back in Etown. He went to Pens.

Avery going back for sloppy seconds! GJ Rangers!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1007 on: March 04, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »
30 MINUTES LEFT!

WTF?! Now they're talking about Lady Gaga's Pokerface on TSN. The most boring trade deadline ever! XD

Phew! I was afraid Guerin was gonna get traded to Rangers :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 08:33:34 PM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1008 on: March 04, 2009, 08:38:55 PM »
Trade Lady Gaga to the Rangers for Redden XD

I hope Cole stays. dudes the grinder Oilers need now that Captain Moreau is resting his eyeballs.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1009 on: March 04, 2009, 08:49:20 PM »
Antropov to Rangers!

Trade Lady Gaga to the Rangers for Redden XD

That wouldn't be a bad trade cause Lady Gaga would be way cheaper than fucking Redden :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:02:33 PM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1010 on: March 04, 2009, 08:59:45 PM »
Her thighs would block more shots than him either :drools: Antropov and Avery - lockeroom killers!!

Wait - she post-op? :doh:

FUCK YOU CANCUCKS!! Sportsnet.ca is rumored to get Jay Bomeister outta Florida.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1011 on: March 04, 2009, 09:03:43 PM »
Derek Morris to Rangers! Sather be makin' moves :theking

It's about time they traded Prucha, dude fell off after the rookie season.

FUCK YOU CANCUCKS!! Sportsnet.ca is rumored to get Jay Bomeister outta Florida.

He's gonna stay in Florida :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:19:49 PM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1012 on: March 04, 2009, 09:19:50 PM »
SHIT!! NYR, PHX and shit. Calgary the big winners.

Oilers got some seconday scoring...............

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1013 on: March 04, 2009, 09:24:49 PM »
These might be the last deals:

Aight, time to make my last Fantasy Hockey moves :pimp:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1014 on: March 04, 2009, 09:56:41 PM »
These might be the last deals:

....or not :doh:

I hope Cole stays.

And he's gone! :lol:

Edit: it ain't over yet!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 10:35:35 PM by Masa »

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1015 on: March 04, 2009, 11:25:37 PM »
whoa fucken retarded, canucks didnt make a move at all. Fucken Calgary and Edmonton got the best of trade deadline.

Fucking Bowmeester.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1016 on: March 08, 2009, 10:06:20 AM »
BEAT THOSE FUCKING LEAFS!! Roli stands on his head for a 4-1 win on HNIC

GJ OILERS. That makes up for the shit performance vs the Sens.

Still in a playoff spot. Somebody phone the fuckin Red wings and tell em the Season ain't over yet. PLAY a game or two. How about letting the Oilers blowing you out. Fuckin assholes.

ZACK beating the shit outta some Toronto geek:

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1017 on: March 10, 2009, 02:15:07 AM »
carboneau got fired!!! gainey is the new temp coach!!!  :thumbdown:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1018 on: March 14, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »
Fuck Oilers barely clinging to 7th spot. Can't even beat the Thrashers and Habs - teams of SUCKAGE - in OT. Good thing they hand out 1 point.

Congrats to O'Sullivan for finally scoring. Dustin Penner coming off the benching to deliver a FIGHT. Now do it more often loser! :twisted:

LMAO!! Peter Pocklington got arrested. Dude is hated amongst Canadians for selling Wayne Gretzky to LA. has been charged in a California court for allegedly hiding assets from a bankruptcy court. ...

And whaddya know. Glen Sather bailed him out! For 1 million.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1019 on: March 15, 2009, 06:43:34 AM »

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Seriously man. if Souray didn't score that goal - Oilers season woulda been really over. PP is at 8%  :bleed eyes: Hemsky ain't doing jack shit. Lose to the Blues and the Oilers are done. Even Peckham couldn't fire em up!

Get those chumps outta the line up! Throw in SMACK-intyre!

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Spica - Russian Roulette