JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Aeronauts - 5 days

Author Topic: Learn Japanese  (Read 60265 times)

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
Basic Japanese (hiragana, katakana, etc)
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 11:47:49 AM »
Quote from: haryodwi;306872
here is very good software : Atlas V12.
Translator English-Japanese, Japanese-English:)

I tried downloading and installing Atlas.  It's a bit of a pain - you have to change your system locale to Japan and then reboot.  Here's some translation examples:

EXAMPLE 1: Summary of Aki Anzai's Sell Debut Risky Mosaic
Original:
絶頂オルガ姫・安西あきがエスワンからセルデビュー!玉までしっかり舐めるフェラテクを見せ、指マンされると大量潮吹き&絶頂し、チンポ挿入されて恍惚顔でイキまくる!とくに、連続で絶頂するガチンコFUCKは爆発度200%です。

Google translation:   
Peak [oruga] princess Anzai opening from s one cell debut! When you show [huerateku] which is licked securely to the ball, the finger man are done the [ru] where the mass tide blowing & the peak it does, [chinpo] is inserted and [iki] it sows with the 恍 惚 face! Especially, [gachinko] FUCK which the peak is done 200% is degree of explosion with continuation.

Atlas translation:
Cell debut of princess hight Olga and Anzai getting tired from Eswan.

A large amount of Shiof comes, ..& hight.. shlontz is inserted, and it rolls it up chicly by the ecstasy face showing Feratec that firmly licks even the gem.

Especially it is continuous and hight Gatinco FUCK explosion level 200%.

Neither of those makes any sense, but Atlas is a bit easier to understand.

EXAMPLE 2: Front page headline story summary from the Asahi Shimbun
Original:
北朝鮮の核問題をめぐる6者協議は、13日の全体会合で、北朝鮮が寧辺の核施設の稼働を停止するなどの「初期段階措置」を取る、その見返りに重油の提供を受けるとの合意を含む共同文書を採択した。( 17:58 )  [記事全文]

Google:
6 person conferences which are related to the North Korean nuclear problem with entire assembly of 13 days, take “the early gradual measure” such that North Korea stops the work of the Ning Pian nuclear facility, to the collateral offer of the heavy oil is received with adopted the joint note which includes agreement. ( 17: 58 ) [Article all sentence]

Atlas:
Six-party talks over the nuclear issue with North Korea took "Measures at the early stage" of the stop of North Korea of the operation of the nuclear establishment in Yongbyon etc. by a whole meeting on the 13th, and adopted a joint document including mutual agreement of receiving the offer of the crude petroleum in return. ( 17:58 ) Article full text

Both of them are much better, and the Atlas translation seems much more natural.

EXAMPLE 3: Opening lyrics to Aruiteru
Original:
歩いてる
その先の空へ
まだ見ぬ未来へ
胸に愛を抱いて

「遅い」なんて
決めつけなど
耳を貸さずに

いつの時代(とき)も
正義がある
瞳を閉じて

世界中の歌が
聞こえるような距離になるさ

歩いてる
一人じゃないから
みんながいるから
切に平和願って

歩いてる

Google:
Walking, to the sky ahead that of the [ru] holding love to in the future chest which you do not see yet, “it is slow”, how and so on to scold, every age (the time) justice, closing the pupil which is listened, it becomes the kind of distance where song in the world is audible walking, because there is no [ru] one person because everyone is, peace asking ardently, walking, the [ru]

Atlas:
It walks.

Love will be held to the previous sky in the chest in the future that has not been seen yet.

"It is slow" As assuming doesn't listen

The pupil with the justice is shut in the age (Nipponia nippon) when.

A song all over the world

It becomes a heard distance.

It walks.

Peace prays sincerely because there are all because it is not one person.

It walks.

Both suck badly.

In conclusion..... Atlas isn't dramatically better than Google Translation for J->E.  But it also does E->J, which Google doesn't do.  I think it's a good program to have in your hard drive, but only if you're willing to want to switch locale to Japan and reboot every time you want to use it.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 12:14:48 PM »
Yahoo's babelfish can do English to Japanese (warning never tested it :))

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 01:02:34 PM »
Quote from: chera;307500
But it also does E->J, which Google doesn't do.

sure it does. just select "English to Japanese BETA"...

machine translations for japanese are flawed in concept because in english, proper sentences (that is, for J->E translations) include a subject and verb, possibly an object as well, while in japanese grammar (the original J) they can be omitted based on context, leaving the translator guessing and arbitrarily filling in words. moreover, complex prepositions can be moved around fairly freely in japanese, so the anticipated word-order of english machine translations appear illogical. it also doesn't help that in japanese it's possible to make very long run-on sentences with the gerund (which really still make sense in japanese, but sounds like nonsense after machine-translation).

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 08:28:07 PM »
is there a site that can translate english to japanese in romaji, or vice versa? that would be cool.
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 08:34:38 PM »
^ yes there is.  hang on let me get the link.

http://www.j-talk.com/nihongo/  paste the text in the box and click kanji to romaji
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline Takumi 86

• Feel the Music!
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2007, 05:01:30 PM »
Holy Moly
Thanks to Dronak for the link, very usefull man.
And to everyone in here who also share their link
I know Japanese language a bit but never really can't speak them fluently

This may come in handy guys. Believe me
and to Kei thanks for making this thread
Now i can start to learn japanese. Ofc when i had done finishing my assignment and other thing to do

Offline num2son

• Member+
  • Nice to be Important but more Important to be Nice
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 04:34:25 AM »
Thanks

Designed by Miichan

Offline JH6

Re: Basic Japanese (hiragana, katakana, etc)
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
Minna_no_nihongo_CD1 rar files where password protected. I do not know if I did something wrong or that I missed something. But could someone give me the password or explain what I did wrong.

Lets support our very special miracle girl: Kusumi Koharu Fanlist
http://www.pcweetjes.nl/

Offline slowness

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 12:11:55 PM »
http://www.learn-japanese.info/hiragana.html - great list with romanji

http://www.genkienglish.net/genkijapan/katakana.htm - with rollover sound

http://genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/self.html - basic flash cards

i used these 3 sites well just the first and last mostly but if you need to learn the sounds of it the 2nd one provides a good enough approach lol and getting a book would further help but i dont know if anyone is willing to spend that money unless really wanting to learn japanese.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 10:35:44 AM by BarrieV »

Offline xerony

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »
A simple piece of software to learn all hiragana / katakana
]http://www.twitter.com/?d=A841WBTY]

http://www.manythings.org/japanese/
a site with many things to learn Japanese  :)
Japanese Language Proficiency Test Vocabulary Lists and lots of other things

Offline Sexykago

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »
Quote from: hide321
The quicker you learn Japanese, the quicker you'll be to possible personal contact with Hello Project members.  Just sayin'...

BAHAHAHAHAHA!

Keep dreamin', buddy! XD
Hey now, we all gotta have our dreams. ;)
If I'm not mistaken I heard Amoz got to meet h!p members one time. Don't they let people meet h!p members at the fanclub events?

I need to learn Japanese so I can actually communicate with my homestay family when I return.
I already know katakana and hiragana. Learned that years ago. But I still dunno kanji. Only probably 300 or so that I've learned. I gotta long way to go. :I
So I guess I'll be taking advantage of this thread then. Thanks for all the info, hopefully I'll get some more kanji down with you guys help. :]

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 01:03:04 AM »
Sorry, this probably is not the thread for this, but there's no "help with japanese to english translation" thread....

this has been bugging me,  what does "Tada, kimi wo aishiteru" mean? 
This is the japanese title to the movie, Heavenly Forest, great movie btw. 
I don't think that means what it means in english and...
to my limited japanese, i believe it to be:
Still, i love you
or
Even so, i love you.

would this be correct? 

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 06:00:55 AM »
well tada doesn't really have a direct english translated word but both would work and mean pretty much the same thing.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 06:12:46 AM »
Does this help??
ただ【唯】
merely; simply; only; 《形式》 solely

句例
ただ…しさえすればよい only have [need] to do; need only do; all one has to do is (to) do; have only to do
ただの 〈わずか〉 mere; 《形式》 sole
ただ1人で (all) alone; by oneself
ただ1度 just [only, 《形式》 but] once
ただの1日でも even for a day
ただ…と思ったものですから Only I thought…
ただ…だけは別 except for…

文例
それには誤りがただの1つもない. There is not a single mistake in it.
彼が来ない日はただの1日もなかった. Never a day passed without his coming to see me.
彼女はただ泣くばかりだった. She did nothing but cry.
君は僕のただ1人の友人だ. You are the only friend (that) I have.
ただお聞きしてみただけです. I just wanted to know.
シャッターを開閉するためにはただこのボタンを押しさえすればよい. You have only to push these buttons to open or close the shutter.
君の話はみなもっともだ. ただ, ストの提案だけはねえ(賛成しかねる). Everything you say is reasonable except for your proposal for the walkout.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 10:52:09 PM »
^what are those?  and i'm sorry, but i can't read japanese/chinese characters, only romanji.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 10:19:28 PM »
it's different meanings and usages of "tada"

Offline monkey80

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2008, 12:15:40 PM »
here is my resource.

[SIZE="4"]WARNING IT MAY LEADS TO ADULT LANGUAGES.
Special thank to Mastress Alita, visit her forum at http://blgames.proboards25.com/index.cgi

the message below here are written by Mastress Alita except for the latest updates which is added by me.

I realized that I don't have these sites in my Links, but thought they would be interesting to share.

The first is "Anime Game Test Hooker". You can read about this tool in-depth on this thread of my board. This program lets you extract Japanese text from a game as you play it. You can set the program to automatically copy text to the clipboard, and then with Atlas Japanese Translation Software you can have it automatically translate text from the clipboard, getting instant translations for each dialogue screen. By all means not perfect, but still an extremely highly recommended tool to learn a bit more about the stories in games.

There is another Japanese text extractor, "Oh! Text Hooker", which can be found here. However, I recommend "Anime Games Text Hooker" because it is much more compatible with a wider range of games than "Oh! Text Hooker".

The second is JWPce, a free Japanese Word Processor, which can be found here. This program is the God of Kanji for me. Usually I will extract a Japanese script using Oh! Text Hooker, and then put it into this program and save it, or run it while I'm using Anime Game Text Hooker, copy Japanese sentences into it, and use it's powerful kanji look-up to help me understand lines that get botched up pretty bad from Atlas.

You can highlight a kanji and hit F6 to have it look up what the kanji is, or right-click any Japanese character and do "Get Info" to find out what it is (a "ka", a "te", ect.) Using this combined with AGTH+Atlas, I find it is a very handy tool. It is also great for simply saving Japanese text or doing Japanese word processing. Often Japanese text you are trying to use in another program that gets turned into jibberish will work if you copy it to JWPce first, and then copy it again and paste to that other program, as well.

And then there are online resources for Japanese. Here are some handy Japanese <--> English webpages that I use:

Excite Japanese <-->English Translator - Translates full websites or just blocks of input text from Japanese to English or English to Japanese. The Japanese translation software "Atlas" uses the same translation programming as Excite.

Google's Translator - A new web translator from Google. It currently has Japanese <--> English Beta, and works pretty well.

Alta Vista's Babelfish Translator - Online translator for tons of languages, including Japanese <--> English.

POPjisyo.com - A pop-up dictionary for Japanese, Chinese, and Korean. You enter a URL and it will highlight kanji on the page, and then when you mouse over one it will pop-up a dictionary entry. Very helpful with kanji.

Jeffrey's Japanese <--> English Dictionary Server - My favorite quick look-up online Japanese <--> English dictionary. Enter a Japanese word in romaji and it looks up the meaning.

Spencer's Japanese <--> English Online Dictionary
- An online dictionary that will show results written in Japanese as well as the English meanings. Helpful with kana and kanji.

The Kanji Site - A dictionary that looks up words written in Japanese kana or kanji.

Basics of Japanese - Shows the hiragana and katakana charts, and some kanji.

JLS Japanese Class Web Site - Just a simple page with a hiragana and katakana chart.

Japanese Language @ About.com - A good site for actually learning some Japanese through online lessons and information regarding Japanese culture and the like.

Japanese Language Grammar Notes - Some Japanese grammar information, such as particles and verb conjugation.

Web Japanese - A site with information on learning Japanese. Has kanji worksheets, a photo dictionary, reading practice, and games for practicing kana.

Japanese Slang and Other Powerful Expressions - Great site of slang words and phrases.

Bad Japanese Words - A site with the meanings of Japanese expletives. Face it, it is stuff like this that typically doesn't make it into a dictionary, and you still need to know what they mean.

Japanese Sex Slang - Very helpful if you commonly play adult Japanese games. *coughs*

Japanese Sound Effects and What they Mean
- Awesome site for looking up sound effects.

Kansai-Ben Grammar and Kansai-Ben Word List
- In the southern part of Japan in the kansai region (such as Osaka), the people use a different Japanese dialect. This is a great page for Kansai-ben grammar and words in Kansai-ben, since they use many different words than traditional Japanese. It will show the word in Kansai-ben, the word in normal Japanese, and the meaning. This is a great resource, since online translators usually can't handle Kansai-ben well at all.

latest updates (more site for learning japanese).
http://www.ocn.ne.jp/translation/
This online translator is so good that you will never use babelfish ever again.

http://www.animelab.com
animelab's japanese tools is quite good.

http://www.jp41.com/kanji/ 
Enter English meaning or Japanese romaji spelling (e.g. water / mizu / sui).

http://nihongo.j-talk.com/parser/
Convert Kanji(漢字) and Websites to Romaji or Hiragana (with translation, too).
A resource for studying Japanese and kanji, & improving vocabulary.
With most nihongo, the translator has an accuracy rate of about 99.5%.[/SIZE]

now anyone can give me a complete hiragana, katakana or shift jis table in hex code.
Yuko ogura and saaya irie collector. working to post my saaya irie pic sets. a lot of it. XP. coming soon.

Offline reyfer

• Member+
  • Sayumin's personal assistant
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2008, 01:26:37 PM »
Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Japanese Dictionary Server (Monash University Site)

A Japanese guide to Japanese grammar
This site explains Japanese grammar in a systematic step-by-step process and is released under the Creative Commons License. It was created as a resource for those who want to learn Japanese grammar in a rational, intuitive way that makes sense in Japanese. The explanations are focused on how to make sense of the grammar not from English but from a Japanese point of view.

JGram: The Japanese Grammar Database
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 01:30:53 PM by reyfer »

Offline monkey80

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2008, 06:19:47 PM »
oooppps forget to update the list above. here is the latest.

the translation below by ocn
[Chie] yes!  I had the telephone call and had come yesterday. The word which I'd like to meet today with that

see ocn translation is better but you need to arrange or change some words to make it sound english but you must be good at english.

Well here is two more resource that I found.

http://rapidshare.com/files/84167589/learn-japanese.rar
(well it teaches hiragana and some stuff that is good if you want to visit japan).

http://rapidshare.com/files/84169946/Your_name_in_kanji.rar
it show kana and kanji for some names. now practice and write your own name.
Yuko ogura and saaya irie collector. working to post my saaya irie pic sets. a lot of it. XP. coming soon.

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Aeronauts - 5 days