JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Sennichikou

Author Topic: General Japanese Movie Thread  (Read 62529 times)

Offline khairilh

Re: General Japanese Movie Thread
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:23 PM »
Watched Premonition... it's been a while since I saw a Japanese horror movie, but I think this one gave me several traumas 

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
Recently was able to watch  ストロベリーナイト / Sutoroberi Naito (Strawberry Night) with English subtitles.

Stars Yuko Takeuchi as Police Homicide Detective Reiko Himekawa, who is investigating a murder appears to
be gang related, but she is unable to accept that theory, and so digs in (with her team) to find out if
there are other reasons.....

I have to say that I have never seen the series, so I think there are charcter situtations that fans of the TV series
would understand that I did not. But still an intersting crime film that stands on its own. Also stars Hidetoshi Nishijima
as Kazuo Kikuta, who is #2 on the Himekawa team, and Takao Osawa, as highly placed gang leader Isao Makita, who gets involved with the investigation and with Himekawa. Supported by a large cast of veteran actors, led by Tomokazu Miura, and all of them add to the drama.

Director was Yuichi Sato, and the film is based on  the novel by Tetsuya Honda. Release date was 26 January, 2013.

Offline muppet

• Rin’s Motto: "Suki koso mono no jouzu nare" (好きこそ物の上手なれ; What one likes, one will do well)
  • Member+
« Reply #122 on: August 03, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »
Just saw Yokomichi Yonosuke with English subtitles (the English title is "A Story of Yonosuke", and the film was released in Japan on February 23 of this year)

The film takes place in the 80's, and also several years later when many of the cast are fondly remembering an interesting lad that they met back in University days. That young man is Yonosuke Yokomichi, played very ably by actor Kengo Kora. Yuriko Yoshitaka is wonderful in the role of a girl from a very wealthy family, who first meets Yonosuke on an arranged double date.

Of course, Yuriko has her own thread here at JPH!P, as does co-star Aki Asakura, who plays another freshman at the university, along with actor Sosuke Ikimatsu. Lots of good supporting actors in the film, including Go Ayano and Ayumi Ito.

Director is Shuichi Okita, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Shiro Maeda. The film was adapted from the novel by Shuichi Yoshida.

Some critics complained about the 160 minute length of the film, but I felt the film moved along very well, with the dual need to establish the characters and the time period.

I would recommend the film as a very well crafted character driven film, with some very funny moments and some very touching moments. The film, just like the title character, will leave the viewer with some really nice memories.

:cow:

Offline zeru0104

« Reply #123 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
Recently was able to watch  ストロベリーナイト / Sutoroberi Naito (Strawberry Night) with English subtitles.

can you share the subtitle?

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #124 on: August 04, 2013, 04:02:39 PM »
Zeru0104 san,

Unfortunately I am unable to share the subtitles- I saw the film on a flight.

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2013, 02:18:55 AM »
 Just  saw  だいじょうぶ3組  (Daijoubu 3Kumi / English title "Nobody's Perfect)
with Hirotada Ototake, based on his autobiographical novel.

Brilliantly directed by Ryuichi Hiroki, also stars Taichi Kokubun (a member of Tokio), Kimiko Yo, Nana Eikura (a very small role), and a cast of kids led by wonderful performances by Mone Kamishiraishi and Anna Ishii.

The novel and film are based on the real life experiences of Ototake (who was born without arms or legs) as a school teacher of a fifth grade class. Filmed in Shiga Prefecture, using a vacated school, and the surroundings, there is not much spectacular scenery, yet the cinematography was excellent (in fact, at times it was stunning- see the school sports festival as an example)

The story is not just about the courage of a man dealing with an extreme handicap, but delves into concepts such as otherness, shame , and ultimately love and acceptance .

Released on March 23, 2013, it would be well worth a watch!
 :twothumbs

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aLjmSy5KCxo&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DaLjmSy5KCxo
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:26:40 AM by muppet »

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2013, 05:27:09 PM »
舟を編む (Fune o Amu) with the English title "The Great Passage", released on 13 April, 2013 - was a fine film that I recently viewed.
The film had English subtitles, which was pretty necessary for all but very fluent speakers of Japanese. The film is about a team putting together a new Japanese dictionary, so there are lots of words and expressions that are in the dialogue that make fluency or sub titles necessary to fully enjoy the film.

The film stars Ryuhei Matsuda and Aoi Miyazaki , and as usual, a very fine supporting cast, including Joe Odagiri, who was brilliant in his role.
Going to keep an eye on young Hana Kuroki, who had a small part in the film...and I think we will see more of her in the future.

Putting together a dictionary for publication is an unusual plot for a film, but the wonderful direction by Yuya Ishii resulted in a very watchable and enjoyable film (which was based on the book by Shion Miura).

If you get a chance to see this film, it is well worth a watch!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwCc-1o1lc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0kwCc-1o1lc

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »

"Sensei to Mayoi Neko" aka Teacher and the Stray Cat is a film that will be coming out on October 10th. The movie had it's first screening yesterday at Wald 9 in Shinjuku, pics of some unidentified :twisted: person at the screening plus below them is the film's trailer.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2016, 09:12:57 AM »
More Hentai Kamen :nervous

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2016, 05:56:03 PM »
Recently watched "13 Assassins" (2010)
with Koji Yakusho, Takayuki Yamada, and Goro Inaki.

Really cool Samurai film, with the small band versus an
army 20 times their size.

Worth a watch for sure!

The Trailer

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 06:02:57 PM by muppet »

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2016, 02:39:29 PM »
FMA trailer

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2016, 11:48:28 PM »
Recently watched "13 Assassins" (2010)

Roger Ebert's review had the greatest film content description: "considerable samurai mayhem."

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #133 on: December 17, 2016, 07:31:43 AM »

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2017, 01:31:35 AM »
Double posted

「家族はつらいよ2」

What a Wonderful Family! 2

I enjoyed the first one, and this one was even better!

Satoshi Tsumabuki and Yu Aoi were part of the
strong ensemble cast

あの一家が帰ってきた!映画『家族はつらいよ2』予告編

Offline muppet

• Member+
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
Just saw 「花戦さ」(Hana Ikusa, "Flower Battle")
English title is Flower and Sword. Director is Tetsuo Shinohara,
with screenplay by Yoshiko Morishita.
Based on the novel by Tadashi Onitsuka.
Released: 2017年6月3日

A film worth watching, the initial impression is that
one is watching a period film with a quirky Buddhist monk
who practices ikebana (flower arranging) whilst meeting up
with some of Japan's most important historical figures,

Of course the film is all that, but a lot more, and really merits watching.

Incredibly strong cast, headed by Mansai Nomura, and also starring
Ennosuke Ichikawa, Koichi Sato, Kiichi Nakai, Kuranosuke Sasaki, Katsumi
Takahashi, and Masato Wada.

But wait! There's more! JPH!P favorite, Aoi Morikawa, plays a key role in the film,
and she absolutely shines in her role as a girl brought back to the monastery
after being found near death by Senko Ikenobo, the monk played by Nomura san.

The film heads into very dramatic territory, and the concept of the divine nature
of forgiveness, transcending all religions, is beautifully told.

Special shout out to Aoi san and Nomura san, for their fine performances.

6月3日公開 映画「花戦さ」公開直前特別映像(ダイジェスト)!!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:59:05 PM by muppet »

Offline Snowy696

• Member+
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »
I am unsure if this is the right place to ask this but here I go

I am interested in watching movies featuring gravure idols. I have already seen The Virgin Psychics.

Obviously I do not have this desire because I want to watch a decent plot. Any suggestion is welcome (as long as it features at least one gravure idol)

Cheers!

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Sennichikou