JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Losalios - Snake Eyes

Author Topic: Cameras Photography and Photographers  (Read 25596 times)

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
Cameras Photography and Photographers
« on: June 06, 2010, 06:19:02 PM »
I love taking pictures, and I love shiny fun gadgets... who else are hobby photographers? xD

I guess I'll introduce my cameras. I've got five, all analogue (so where do these digital pictures come from? It's a mystery :O ... XD)

Instant Fun:
Cheki Instanx Mini 25

Sample picture:

It's like a mini-polaroid camera! :D Great fun, only downside is that I can't get film for it here in Norway :cry:

Plastic Fantastic:
Lomography Fisheye

Sample picture:

Okay, so I kind of hate the whole Lomographic Society bullshit, but they do make some pretty fun cameras <,<;; Absolutely love the crazy fisheye effects that the Fisheye produce. I seriously had no idea my pictures would come out as circles xD Great fun. Uses regular 35mm film.

Lomography Diana F+

Sample picture:

Another Lomography camera, but omg look at it  :wub: The huge flash can be taken off and used by itself or on other cameras  :thumbup it also came with little pieces of coloured foil to stick in front of the flash bulb to create colour splash flashes  :heart: Uses 120mm film.

Blackbird, Fly

Sample picture:

Incredibly adorable twin lens reflex toy camera :heart: An internal frame gives you the option of three different picture formats before loading the film. Complete square, rectangle, or a format that makes use of the entire width of the film, so even the film spokes get exposed. I haven't tried that yet, but I definitely want to. It looks awesome. Uses regular 35mm film.

Old school
Drug

Sample picture:

I bought this on eBay. Drug ('Friend' in Russian), is a 35mm rangefinder camera. Only 23,702 copies were ever made, it was in production from 1960 to 1962. Former Soviet Union Rangefinders.... Mmmmmm  :heart: XD As you can see in the sample picture, mine has a very interesting light leak going on, but I like it. It doesn't ruin the pictures, it just gives them all a special little signature.

Offline +u+u

• Member+
Re: Cameras Photography and Photographers
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 07:01:58 PM »
^ I think I never saw those kinda cameras before  :O I like ur pics, Twissie~ I catually went through some of them on ur Flickr too  :P

I like taking pics too and edit them ^^ I even went to school where photography was one of the main studies. But I gotta admit I was a lazy student or my brain just couldn't memorize all the stuff  :sweatdrop: I got used to take pics with Canon EOS 300 and 450 and 5D... We also learned to use film cameras and develop the pics ourselves... and I hated it >.>;;; I used to fail my film camera pics  :doh:
I just recently bought my own camera:

It wasn't too expensive and not too big to take along :nervous

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 05:52:57 AM »
I consider myself an amateur photographer - I have some pictures on my deviantart page.

I currently have this camera -

I would like to get a DSLR camera in the future and make this a bigger hobby.

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
^
That's such a cute camera! Love lime green~~~  :D

I've never taken any classes or anything  :nervous I'm afraid the stuff wouldn't stick with me either, haha. My boyfriend (who's more into photography than me, really) tries to teach me things (about ISO and... uhm things :? ), but once I'm out there snapping pictures I really don't want to have to mess around with settings and think about numbers and light xD I like to just snap away, develop the film and see what came out of it. I like the suspense of it, I guess. Sometimes you're really happy with what you get, and sometimes everything looks blah. But that's fine with me xD;

.... I guess it would be nice to be more aware of the techy bits, but I need more time and patience to get that down. I guess that's why I like basic analogue toy cameras. Not that many settings to fiddle with, really. The Blackbird, Fly only has two "settings". One for cloudy weather, and one for sunny/bright. You can also decide your own shutter time, by holding down the shutter for longer, but yeah... That's all I need to experiment :twothumbs

Plus, if I knew what I was doing, would things like this happen?

:lol:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:02:20 AM »
Film developing time! Anyone else develop film at home? I live in a one-room apartment so I can't mess around with too many chemicals, but we (my boyfriend and I) do develop b&w film ourselves. It's a lot of fun, and makes the whole photography thing into a project filled with love and dedication :heart: XD

Camera: Blackbird, Fly
Film: Neopan 400 (the 120 version of this film just got discontinued  :bleed eyes: )
Developer: Kodak Xtol (Fine grain and high sharpness) 1+1 for almost 10 minutes

Have some action shots of the process XD

First up, mixing the chemicals

Then into the bathroom darkroom to extract the film from its canister and get it into the light tight tank

Mmmm chemicals and tank and... me mopping up stuff from the floor, because things can get messy  :bleed eyes:

Goofing off during the 9 minutes and 45 seconds the film developed (turning the tank over three times every minute)

Turning the tank over, dumping the developer, cleanse, fix, cleanse~~~ XD

DONE! *hangs negatives to dry*

Looking good so far! :O I went with Blackbird, Fly's special picture format that makes use of the whole width of the film, sprockets and all :heart: Will scan and post my favourites later!  :yossi:

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:07:02 AM »
HOT (room temperture) CHEMICAL ACTION!!

looking forward to your photowalk pics!!!  :D

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:10 AM »
I only took around 3 classes of photography at high school. But I did get a try at film developing, and printing B&W photos.
After moving to live in another country, I wanted to take pics for local scenery, family and classmate memories. So I bought a Sony DSC-P1. It was fantastic. Kinda the grandaddy for all the 100's of Sony cybershot cameras that would follow.

After graduating, I bought a Canon 300D to learn more than pointing-and-clicking. Also been joining local photo clubs events every month or so, for the past few years. Photoing amateur models and scenery like city-nightlights and fireworks.
I also got a Polaroid One600 Classic (that thing really started burning money). It was just so fun! :lol: When Polaroid stopped making the film :cry:, I switched to a Fujifilm Instax Mini7. I still like polaroid pics more though.

My last purchase was a Canon 40D last year, and a 70-200mm F4.0 IS L lens. I honestly haven't taken photos much with it at all.
I blame it on the guy who stuck a camera into mobile phones. :roll:

But after photoing so much, I still like my earliest pics the most.
Maybe cos my mindset was just to simply make great memories. And not overthinking everything like golden rules and shadows on a persons nose. :lol:
Like this. I took it 10 years ago with the P1, on a 1-day cruise with my family. And it's still one of my favourites.

Offline Meania

• shooting for the stars~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »

These are two of my final exam peices for AS level Photography ;  w ;
I have a third but it's a portrait of someone who I don't think would want their photo put up online  :sweatdrop:

I'm currently starting a new project for A2 Photography... we HAVE to make a film/slideshow apparently which I'm a little dissapointed about as the route I was planning to go down doesn't really work with film... or popular music lol ; n ;

- Formspring - Twitter -
~ RIP ChrNo

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 02:02:14 PM »
^
Nice! How is your project going, Meania?

But after photoing so much, I still like my earliest pics the most.
Maybe cos my mindset was just to simply make great memories. And not overthinking everything like golden rules and shadows on a persons nose. :lol:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean! I've never taken photography classes, but I had classes on composition and colour theory when I was in upper secondary school (art school, lol), and I try to keep as much of that stuff out of my mind as possible when I shoot, I don't want my pictures to get too "technical". Though sometimes it does help, like this picture;

I stood there for a while getting the angles right for capturing this exact composition. I think it came out great.

Oh and hey, I just found out that Lady GaGa was photographed by Nobuyoshi Araki, one of my favourite photographers, for Vogue Hommes Japan (Sept. 2009) *_*!

You can see all the pictures in a slideshow here (NSFW)

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 05:07:58 PM »
I got to borrow and try out the lovely Olympus E-P1 the other day! :O It's such a pretty camera :inlove:
I only had it on auto (auto focus as well) :nervous , but here are some sample pictures from my little photowalk. So pretty~!

and obligatory self-portrait :lol:

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 10:16:00 AM »
Woah, I don't usually care much about fashion shoots, but this series of pictures for Harper's magazine back in 1963... so awesome @_@!

Bubble Series by Melvin Sokolsky

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »
Thought I'd show you my darkroom set-up for when I make prints! :D

Working on making prints from the JPHiP Helsinki Adventures right now, but the negatives are difficult to work with, and the bulb in the enlarger randomly went out.... T_T; Working on fixing that now, but here! Yes... my magical darkroom 8D

Tadaaaaa! xD;;;

The enlarger is a Durst M605 Color

Test prints, trying to figure out how to work with/around the horrible overexposed mess that are my negatives from this trip :nervous well at least I get something which is good... even though the pictures won't be as good as I'd like them to be. xD;; I'll do my best~!

Offline twissie

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 02:40:28 AM »
Death of Film: Last Roll of Kodachrome Processed

Quote from: Wired
What do you know about Dwayne’s Photo Service of Parsons, Kansas? It is the place where the very last roll of the Kodachrome was processed.

Kodachrome, the slide-film that inspired songs, was discontinued by Kodak last year at 74 years of age. The color emulsion was a victim of its own weird processing requirements, which didn’t use the usual E6 chemistry designed for transparency film, and therefore wasn’t worth supporting in the age of digital.

The last roll was shot by National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry, who shot the 36 exposures in New York (actually, the last three shots were exposed in Parsons before dropping off the film at Dwayne’s). The pictures will be part of a National Geographic piece in the near future.

McCurry’s film may have been the official last roll off the production line, but Dwayne’s will still process any Kodachrome that you might have until December 10th this year. And then it will shut down, forever. People may still shoot analog, but with the death of Kodachrome comes the spiritual death of film.

More in-depth story at the Wichita Eagle

Related, here's a lovely gallery of large format Kodachrome pictures

A taste;

Mike Hunter: 1942
October 1942. "Lieutenant 'Mike' Hunter, Army test pilot assigned to Douglas Aircraft Company, Long Beach, California." 4x5 Kodachrome transparency by Alfred Palmer for the Office of War Information. View full size.

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 04:01:00 AM »
I see some familiar pictures in your hand picture...behold!!!

THANKS TWISS

:cow:

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 04:17:31 AM »
I decided to get back into this after seeing my GF1 sitting around doing nothing for a while.

I got a Canon FD 50mm to use as a portrait lens, waiting for it to ship~

Offline helldom

• ecchi
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 10:48:25 AM »
I have Nikon D80, planning to swap to a newer model soon, maybe in a year's time. I'm still waiting for the right camera

Offline fdsimon

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 07:41:06 AM »
Wow, this is cool. I thought they no longer produce this kind of camera. Thanks for broading my knowledge.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2010, 07:59:47 AM »

It's here! My Canon 50/1.4! My first ever non-kit lens, and it's a manual too. With the 4/3's crop factor it turns into a 100mm. Had some trouble getting it to work (forgot that I needed to configure some stuff to make it work without the kit lens), but then I was off! I didn't really feel like going anywhere, so here's a short tour of my house:

Potato chips crisps, fuel of men.

Showing off the intricate design of my sofa cushion covers.

Spying on old people! The side isn't vignetting or anything (although how you'd mistake it for vignetting is beyond me), it's the grille on my window.

Obligatory b&w! I didn't want to keep it in colour because the stains on the panes spoil the photo.

Rainbow blanket waterfall of DEATH!

Testing out the bokeh.

Inside, lookin' out.

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »
hey! this is a cool thread!

i do wedding photography with some friends.  It's currently my 3rd year into it. 
I've been hobbying since way long ago when i got the Canon Digital Elph SD450.  I can't believe it was a good camera back in the day... and i spent over $400 for it! 

Now, for wedding purposes, i sport the canon EOS 40D.  It was my first digital SLR, and i really like it.  I have 2 personal lenses for it, the Kit lens which is like 18-75mm F4.0 IS i think, and the cheap but awesome canon 50mm f1.4. 

My 2 other partners have the Canon 5D MarkII, which is a friggin' awesome camera.  I'd love to buy one for myself, but its like over $3000 =)

um, here's my flickr page. i haven't updated it for more than a year tho.  Its a mix of 40D and SD450 shots.  That's what i like about photography, you don't need a super awesome camera to take nice pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randezvous
word.

Offline iiwakesurprise

• He is my inspiration
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2010, 07:50:45 PM »
i use 2 camera for photography...

1.Yashica TL Electro X (1968-1974)
for me this the great camera...
i use this camera for conceptual photography..
yapz ..the result is very unpredictable....
with standar lens Yashinon DX 1,7 / 50mm and give the excellent exposure....
 :twothumbs :twothumbs

2.CANON EOS 400D with 2 Sigma Lens + 1 stock lens...18-55mm...70-30mm...and 18-250mm...+battery grip
using this camera for taking a natural object and still image....
yapz....

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Losalios - Snake Eyes