JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - Computer City

Author Topic: Official Sumo Thread  (Read 48463 times)

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
Re: Official Sumo Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2007, 11:35:04 AM »
And today he lost to Taikai. :o

I didn't watch the bout but some said his right arm seemed to be the problem. Anyway, 2 yokuzunas next basho!!! I'm realy excited! :D

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2007, 09:03:19 AM »
Holy crap, he lost again today. :o

I wonder about the condition of his right arm. I remember on the first day, the English announcer said something about it but he said there was no taping. Then he lost and I read some comments about how his right arm was useless. Today it was all taped up and it looked so limp at times.

I'm sure he's gonna bounce back and we'll get some kinda rivalry between him and Hakuho. Should be fun. ;D

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »

Asashoryu lost on the final day to soon-to-be yokozuna Hakuho by uwatedashinage.  Seems like everybody's been throwing down the Mongolian Menace by the same technique: Kaio, Kotooshu, etc.

This is out of character for Asa.  I can see him getting knocked off balance every so often but not thrown down from a standing yotsu grip.  Something was clearly wrong with him the last week of the basho and he will likely go all out to make Hakuho's debut at the top a losing one.

In the yusho interview dohyo-side, Hakuho said he'd probably adopt the Shiranui style of dohyo-iri as per heya tradition (a yokozuna from the fifties named Yoshibayama hailed from Miyagino Beya).  I'm not sure this is the right thing to do; he should carve out his own style.  Also there's a jinx with rikishi who adopt the Shiranui style -- they all flop or don't have long careers as yokozuna.  We'll see what happens with this.

Omedetou Hakuho-zeki!!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 09:57:28 AM by Saburo »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2007, 11:37:10 AM »
My friend uploaded the final match of the Natsu Basho to YouTube:

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2007, 01:01:04 PM »
Thanks for the vid, Saburo.

With Asa's condition, I didn't expect much at all from this bout. But it was a great match. He put up a good fight, didn't give it to Hakuho easily. Got me all pumped up. He's gonna be back next basho and give Hakuho more competition.

I only started watching sumo in the Asa-dominated era, so I'm excited that I'll finally get to see 2 yokozunas! ;D

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 01:32:39 AM »

The Natsu Basho champ and his new bride, holding a basket of bread.

Offline ugdream

• Member+
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 05:42:35 PM »
I prefer Hakuhou to Asashouryuu............ O0

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »
New basho has started! I totally forgot though, so I only caught a few bouts. :P

Hakuho won his first bout as the yokozuna against Tokitenku. It wasn't that easy for him.

And I took my eyes off of the tv for like a minute and Asashoryu lost. WTH?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2007, 09:36:18 AM »
Pressure!!!  Dang I couldn't hookup with the streaming thang tonight.

From what I was told, Asa's loss wasn't due to injury.  Hope Hakuho doesn't fall apart due to nerves -- I'm sure it's a factor.

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »
Hakuho just got his 3rd loss and is now out of the yusho race.

Kotomitsuki has a big chance of winning this since it's a yokozuna vs. yokozuna bout tomorrow.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
Down to the last day...  Asashoryu and Kotomitsuki deadlocked at 13-1.  Both lose, both win and there's a playoff.

I just read that Kotomitsuki is 30 years and 3 months old.  This will make him the oldest rikishi to become a shin ozeki since the annual six basho system was instituted in 1958.

Damn, I had no idea he was THAT old.  Of course this was someone whose Makunouchi debut was in the Akebono-Takanohana era...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2007, 09:47:29 PM »
Day 14 snapshots.

Asashoryu thumping the n00b, Homasho

Kotomitsuki throwing down Tochinonada:

Today: Koto vs. Kisenosato.  Koto is 6-2 lifetime vs. Kise.  I don't anticipate a letdown from Koto but stranger things happen all the time.

Asashoryu (9 wins lifetime) vs. Hakuho (5).  Haku won in May via dashinage but Asa looks healthy, confident, pissed off...  whatever.  If Haku wants to be the spoiler he'll have to muster up all his energy to keep from getting a major smackdown.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2007, 07:08:41 AM »
I'm gonna postwhore right now since I'm watching senshuraku live.

Toyohibiki forces out Hakurozan and gets 11 wins in his makunouchi debut, very impressive.  Kanto-sho for the top-division rookie.

Tosanoumi-Kitazakura.  Tosa is 7-7 and has been in the top division almost as long as Kaio.  Long activitiy in the ring, Tosa finally forces out Kita by yorikiri.

Tokitsuumi comes in at 7-7 vs. Houchiyama.  A belt struggle in the center but Tokitsuumi forced him out and gets the winning record after an 0-3 start.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2007, 07:14:13 AM »
I read that the Nagoya Basho had 8 mai'in onrei this basho, which hasn't been done in several years.

Kasugao-Tamakasuga.  The latter is another longtime veteran.  Basically anyone who battled the Waka-Taka kyodai is a longtime veteran.  Both are 7-7, the ultimate heaven-hell match.  Tama came out hard thrusting and pushed out Kasugao pretty quickly vs. his younger opponent by oshidashi.  At Mae. #15 he needed the kachikoshi.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2007, 07:19:57 AM »
Otsukasa-Kokkai.  Both have losing records.  You get these matches on senshuraku: two guys with nothing to lose cause they both don't give a shit.  Neither is getting demoted to juryo at least.  Kokkai comes out hard and thrusts down Otsukasa, leaving both with 6-9 records.  Oshitaoshi.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2007, 07:24:43 AM »
Hey, Kaiho did NOT get a sansho!  He hasn't been in makunouchi in a couple years, makes an amazing return and doesn't get anything for his winning tournament, doing sumo on a busted ankle.  Sucks, and with 10 wins he SHOULD have gotten a share of the Kantosho.

Well fuck the press club...  He's up against another veteran, Tochinonada.  Kahio gets a right uwate, tries a leg sweep.  Tochi, strong with the left shitate, swings him around in the center and out via yorikiri.  Both finish 10-5.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2007, 07:29:01 AM »
Satoyama-Ryuo.  One 2-12, the other 4-10.  Yikes.  Satoyama came out very aggressively, forcing Ryuo to the edge with a morozashi.  Ryuo thrust down with his left and Satoyama was too anxious at the edge, falling down before Ryuo stepped out.  One guy prolly goin down to Juryo...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2007, 07:32:32 AM »
Kakuryu-Kakizoe.  Kaki comes out fast and goes forward.  But as is often the case is all upper body and extends too far, getting thrown down by Kakuryu by kotenage.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »
Yoshikaze-Futeno.  Hidariyotsu...  Yoshi tries to move forward, sotogake attempt.  But once Futeno gets the migi-uwate...  out goes Yoshikaze.  Futeno finishes 5-10, another losing record.  Does Futeno still have his blog?  Was soooo funny to read the entry after he first upset Asashoryu.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2007, 07:40:43 AM »
Last match of the zenhansen, Tamanoshima-Toyonoshima.  Two guys 6-8.  How do these guys handle themselves at the senshuraku parties?  Toyo has a morozashi, Tama gets the arm-bar, "kime" grip but Toyo twists him around and out, kimedashi.  Playing out the string, these matches.  And thus endeth the first half.

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Perfume - Computer City