JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Bad Communication E. Style

Author Topic: Battle Star Galactica  (Read 52698 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Battle Star Galactica fan?
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2007, 03:20:49 PM »
Yeah Season 3 had it's fillers too, like Helo investigating the corrupt doctor, although I did prefer it to Season 2's fillers. One aspect I didn't like with the fillers was it started off with a scene and then drags you back through with '48 hrs earlier' and then builds up to that point. As I remember, it happened with a couple of episodes, and I was beginning to wonder if every episode was going to take this structure. Glad to see the producers didn't go with it. Even with filler episodes though, BSG still produces some of the best television I've ever seen.

Offline flamingmoe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »
What I hated about the filler eps was they kept taking present day problems and putting them in outer space with no creative writing at all. They just gave us the abortion issue on a spaceship. A class struggle on a spaceship. A labor strike on a spaceship. There was no science fiction angle to it. Although the Saddam Hussein trial on a spaceship turned out alright.

And the writers don't take into account what's already happened in the past when they write these fillers. Like why would there be a whole population of people who mines "coal" by hand when they got technology to travel space? Weren't the cylons created to do crap like that? And would class differences be such a big issue after everyone spent a year of hell on New Caprica? Barely surviving under cylon rule should've leveled the playing field. If they really wanted to do a class struggle story, it would've made more sense to have the poor people who escaped with Adama take control of the positions of power within the fleet, and then have a big class dispute when the former rich people returned from New Caprica expecting to assume their old positions. As is, these eps would've worked better in seasons one or two. And what happened to the Hera the miracle baby angle? She's got blood that can cure terminal cancer in a couple a days, but she can't handle a simple infection.  :?

Ugh, hopefully in the last season, they'll stay with the cylon-human war stories and cut the fillers. The original series got lame too (or lamer) when they moved away from the cylons and started fighting nazis in space and other stupid shit.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2007, 06:29:45 AM »
Via mm-bbs: nice write-up of a BSG event (and some season 4 info)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32918

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 10:43:32 PM »
Argh the wait is killing me! Luckily there was an on-set visit for reporters and at the end, there was a panel of members of the cast and crew, to answer questions, both story related and BS questions in general. The panellists include:

- Aaron Douglas ("'Chief' Galen Tyrol")
- Michael Hogan ("Saul Tigh")
- Jamie Bamber ("Lee 'Apollo' Adama") I keep forgetting he's from England!! :lol:
- Grace Park ("Sharon 'Athena' Agathon")
- Tahmoh Penikett ("Karl 'Helo' Agathon").
- Harvey Frand (BSG's Line Producer)
- Mark Stern, (SCI FI Channel's Executive Vice President of Programming)
- Bonnie Hammer (SCI FI Channel's President)

Pretty interesting discussion, you get to hear what the cast think of the show, it's influence on media, talking about fans, both celebrity and non-celebrity (Tahmoh's run in with the 300 pound fan was funny, but Aaron's encounter with a big name celebrity of the show was the best :lol:), their favourite moments etc. Just makes me want Season 4 all the more!

Click for panel videos

Credit for picture and videos goes to IGN

Oh and there's no spoilers, sorta. In the 3rd video, Aaron briefly mentions the relationship of the final 5 in relation to the other Cylon models, but it's something we already know, and can't really draw any conclusions from.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 10:47:48 PM by Tuffty »

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 11:19:29 PM »
Season 4 will be BSG's last. Moore has decided that he would rather end the series properly rather than have it cut short in the middle of the storyline, in case plans for a 5th season fall short.

And as far as "filler" episodes go... I think they're quite good. There are of course inconsistencies but you have to keep in mind that Moore never envisioned the new BSG to be a science fiction series (the way Star Trek et co. are)--rather it's supposed to be more of a drama. Coal miners come from the fact that different colonies had different heritages (Caprica for aristocrats, Pygon for labor, etc). Moreover, after the initial cylon rebellion, 50 years had passed, so it's logical that humans have had to support that industry after the cylons left. Class differences on New Caprica are logical from the feudal-like leadership of Baltar, and exacerbated by the terrible conditions on the planet (not to mention the turmoil that everyone had gone through in the previous months fleeing from the cylons). Remember that they spend a year on New Caprica before the cylons arrived, so it was first a working class struggle against an egotistical leader, and then a life-or-death struggle underneath a puppet leader.

As for the topical episodes based on current-day issues; No one in the real world expects there to be easy solutions to our problems, but someone has to start from some place. And BSG simply takes their own view on how those issues might play out in the context of life-or-death. And in that regard I think the episodes are (mostly) very well done, because they allow you to see how the issues play out from episode-to-episode, as well as how the issues relate to the bigger questions: what does it mean to be human (and not cylon)? are we a species worth saving? and if pitted against our fate, what is most important to save? and so on.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2007, 06:29:18 AM »
We need more smiling Grace Park (Sharon) scenes! :w00t:

(framegrabs from the videos Tuffty linked to)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 04:14:53 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2007, 11:59:07 AM »
^ Hell yes!! Shame Tricia Helfer wasn't there too :drool: and it's Grace Park rather than Linda

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2007, 04:15:58 PM »
and it's Grace Park rather than Linda
Oops freudian slip from another SF series ;D

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2007, 01:42:35 AM »
:w00t: BSG returns in November.

Just saw a commercial for it on SciFi.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2007, 05:15:41 AM »
^ Hell yes!! Shame Tricia Helfer wasn't there too :drool: and it's Grace Park rather than Linda
Hmmm...Grace Park vs Linda Park...:dunno:

Can't I take both? ;D

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 06:47:24 PM »
New trailer for Season 4

[spoiler]Starbuck's last line sent shivers down my spine[/spoiler]

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
BSG: Razor next month, can't wait.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 05:27:24 AM »
... screener is up in the newgroups ...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2007, 05:50:41 AM »
Razor 'By Your Command':

Its feels like an extende episode (its 1.5 hours)

It does have some nice visuals from a shipyard in the flashbacks:

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2007, 05:53:41 AM »
I read the name of this thread as "Babble Star".  I think it's time for me to go to bed.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 04:50:01 AM »
BSG: Razor starts next Saturday 24th.
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline BradVickers

• Caffeine Bomb
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 05:00:07 AM »
Razor wasn't bad. I went into it expecting a lot, probably too much. It's going to be interesting to see how the final season plays out after some of the things that are revealed near the end of the movie. I just really hope BSG can reclaim some of the glory that it had in the mini and first season.

Baba Booey

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 12:20:05 PM »
Seeing as it's not posted yet, due to the writers strike, Season 4 production has cancelled indefinately. So we may have a scenario that Sci-Fi channel wanted all along (supposedly), where half the episodes of the season are shown next year, and the remaining half in 2009. And that's in America. God knows how long it would take for Sky to show it (Season 3 didn't air until 6 months after America or something like that). Motherfuckers. I'm contemplating buying a Season boxset to tide me over.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2007, 10:56:05 PM »
I just hope that we're gonna see a proper ending for the series. Nothing is more annoying than a unfinished story.

Ron Moore and others behind the new BSG should do the same as JMS did for Babylon5, shooting the last episode beforehand, so we're going to see the ending even the show will be cancelled.
coot is ctz

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2007, 05:35:09 AM »
^ Nothing is cancelled, they have a 4th (is last) season to close things off.
The current problem is: the writer strike in the U.S.

And the last season of Babylon5 was actually somewhat bad because of that episode they already shot, because they had to replace a lot of actors its a bit hap-snap in the last season (currently re-watching it on DVD) because they already finished a lot at the end of season 4.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: B`z - Bad Communication E. Style