JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: G.NA - Top Girl

Author Topic: The General Movie Thread (news, reviews, random thoughts etc.)  (Read 227315 times)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
Re: The General Movie Thread (news, reviews, random thoughts etc.)
« Reply #1340 on: March 01, 2010, 10:36:17 PM »
shutter island is not good.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Leitch on Ebert
« Reply #1341 on: March 02, 2010, 02:32:32 AM »
Will Leitch writes on his life experiences with Roger Ebert, a really heartfelt piece.

I got Ebert's autograph at a "Citizen Kane" screening in college, long ago.  I keep it in a safe place...

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1342 on: March 06, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »
Gran Turino  - 9/10

Worth it just to watch Clint Eastwood knock some sense into punks. It's a great story, I really cared for the characters and there's a turning point near the end of the movie where I genuinely felt revulsion and regret for what happened. Not for ones who are sensitive to racism though, but then it's not really racist because every race gets slandered at some point XD

Let The Right One In - 9/10

Whil leaving out characters and narratives that were present in the book, it's still a fantastic story without it. It's like Twilight except, you know, not shit.

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1343 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49:21 PM »
^Gran Torino is really impressive  :thumbup

I recently watched:
- Avatar: great visuals, mediocre plot, but worth the watch for sure.
- The Last King of Scotland: great acting by Whitaker, but stories like this always leave me kinda depressed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 10:35:38 AM by BarrieV »

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #1344 on: March 10, 2010, 09:12:53 PM »
here's my top 10 for 2009, alphabetical order.

Coraline
The Cove
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
The Messenger
Moon
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" By Sapphire
A Serious Man

*Avatar's plot is meh and predictable, but its technological achievements give it a spot

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #1345 on: March 11, 2010, 05:15:57 PM »
Just watched 'the hangover.' It started out as 'dude, where's my car' but for an older audience. The beginning was kinda 'meh' but the last half or so was funny stuff  :thumbup

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1346 on: March 14, 2010, 11:20:19 AM »
Inglourious Basterds - 10/10

"Oh that's a bingo!" :lol:

Love it. Christoph Waltz absolutely deserved the Oscar. I think it's the best I've seen Brad Pitt too. Violence, Nazi killing and, because it's Tarantino, some great dialogue. Gotta love the ending :rockon:

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1347 on: March 21, 2010, 04:49:51 AM »
Pirates Of The Caribbean 4 Happening In 2010

YEAH BABY! :fap

There will be a hook-up between Penelope Cruz and Johnny Depp in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides". Executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer was the one who teased that there will be "a little romance" between her character and Captain Jack Sparrow when talking to MTV News at ShoWest in Las Vegas.

During the chat, the 64-year-old also disclosed what character Cruz will be portraying in the film. "She plays the daughter of Blackbeard. She's the daughter of the bad guy," he explained, before adding, "She brings a lot of humorto it. And the fact that she's so feisty." "Deadwood" actor Ian McShane will be playing Blackbeard, whom the producer described as "the nastiest pirate ever".

Bruckheimer, on the occasion, also confirmed that original cast member Geoffrey Rush will indeed return to reprise his role as Barbossa. The man behind "National Treasure" series added that there are more roles to be cast as he confessed they are "looking for some new kids to be in it, we're testing right now."

"Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" will pick up where it ended in 2007's "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" and follow Jack Sparrow in his quest to find the Fountain of Youth. Jerry Bruckheimer, however, promised, "We're going to take a whole new direction." The movie is expected to start shooting in June for a May 20, 2011 release in the U.S.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1348 on: March 23, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »
I can't wait to see Kick-Ass! Professional reviews are showering it with praise, great action, laugh out loud hilarious, witty script. Some are calling it the best superhero movie ever made :lol:

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Hot Tub Time Machine
« Reply #1349 on: March 28, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »
We went to "Hot Tub" on Saturday night.

Nice try but... just not my kind of movie.  Ten-fifty doesn't go very far these days.  I KNOW it's just me and I'm OK with that.

Just not my kind of entertainment.  TWAS like the TV commercial I saw over a dozen times.  I didn't feel pissed (after seeing EVOLUTION) or betrayed (after GODZILLA) or even dumbfounded (YOUNG EINSTEIN).  Wasn't for me, not tonight.  Maybe good, dumb fun if you're flipping cable channels but not on my set.

As always your mileage may vary.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #1350 on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:43 AM »
Saw Fantastic Mr. Fox. Amazing if you like that whole Wes Anderson style, maybe even if you don't.

Sherlock Holmes was also pretty great. Looking forward to the inevitable sequel.

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #1351 on: April 02, 2010, 05:50:47 AM »
Saw "How To Train Your Dragon" in IMAX 3D last weekend.

It was good. :D

Gerard Butler & Craig Furguson as vikings ftw.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1352 on: April 03, 2010, 12:23:32 AM »
Kickass - 10/10

Believe the hype. Everything about it was fantastic, I was glued to the screen from start to finish. The cinema was packed too and I've never heard everyone laugh as much, even for a comedy film. Some even whooped at the end of a particularly sweet action scene. 

Funny thing is, Hit girl is creating a stir among the daytime talk shows because it's an 11 year old girl killing and swearing and stuff. But if it's a film for 15 year olds and over, then what's the problem. People seem like they still believe that comic book movies are for the kids.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 12:38:03 AM by Tuffty »

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1353 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:15 AM »
Saw Clash of the Titans 3D.

Save your money and watch the regular version, 3D didn't really enhance it. Heard they just made it 3D to bank on the 3D hype going on.

Its an entertaining movie, fast paced. I remember seeing the one back in the day before, but not much of it. 

"Ease Your Storm"
Gemma Arterton, who played Io, was pretty damn hot in the movie, hotter than the princess chick (who was still attractive too).i think its worth it to see her. She's got thick legs.
word.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1354 on: April 11, 2010, 04:11:41 PM »
Spider-Man 4 gets title - 'Spider-Man Begin Again' - Logan Lerman 'Almost 100% Locked' as Spiderman

Looks like the February rumors were accurate: according to HitFix's Drew McWeeny, Logan Lerman is Sony's choice to go a-web-slingin' in Marc Webb's teen-skewing reboot of SPIDER-MAN.

Lerman recently turned in solid work as the titular demigod in Chris Columbus' PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS: THE LIGHTNING THIEF, but this is easily his highest-profile role to date. He evidently beat out the likes of Anton Yelchin, Jesse Eisenberg, twenty-seven-year-old Patrick Fugit and Johnny Simmons (who would've been my choice out of this group).

SPIDER-MAN BEGIN AGAIN is expected to go before cameras later this year in order to hit its July 3, 2012 release date. Will audiences be cool with a full-scale reinvention of a film series they seemed to be enjoying up until three years ago? Seeing as how 99% of entertainment is disposable nowadays, I've no doubt they'll be happy to consign Sam Raimi's movies to the scrap-heap of movies they sorta-enjoyed texting through.

The lovely and talented Jamie Vanderbilt (ZODIAC) is the only credited screenwriter at the moment. We'll see how long that lasts.

Spider-Man Begin Again? What a god awful title. That can't be the final title surely? Why not go for something cliche like 'Spiderman : A New Beginning' or something? Or at least for the love of God add an 's' at the end of begin on there!!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1355 on: April 12, 2010, 05:37:17 AM »
*me sees title*

Oh for fucks sake!  :knee:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1356 on: April 14, 2010, 08:03:31 PM »
Hollywood is need of a serious beatdown, fo sho.

46 movie remakes and reboots currently in the works

Who says Hollywood has run out of ideas? We round up the latest batch of remakes and reboots currently in various states of production…

Click the link, the list is like WHOA!!!
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Cover Me...
« Reply #1357 on: April 14, 2010, 08:50:18 PM »
Hollywood is need of a serious beatdown, fo sho.

46 movie remakes and reboots currently in the works

Indeed, pathetic.  That's what happens when commerce controls the art form and not vice-versa.

Will the lemmings of society accept an increased number of 3-D movies?  I sure won't.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1358 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:41 PM »
The Thing? The Crow? Alien?? Why oh why? Lady Vengeance I can sort of understand, considering people can't tolerate a foreign film, dubbed or subtitled. But it wouldn't surprise me if Hollywood decided that the protaganist should be a highly trained assassin getting her revenge with guns, swords and explosions, which would not be like the original at all, yet will probably sell more tickets. A lot of these remakes seem to be applying to the lowest demoninator.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1359 on: April 16, 2010, 08:56:49 PM »

"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

JPHiP Radio (13/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: G.NA - Top Girl