JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hyde - The Cape of Storms

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 483606 times)

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #900 on: April 10, 2007, 12:22:35 AM »
I use GetASFStream, just downloaded from that URL fine.  ~55min long, ~9mb file.  It's seekable, so seems to be complete.  Took about 2.5 minutes, had to resume it after a connection hiccup in the middle but seems fine.

http://cowscorpion.com/dl/GetASFStream.html grab the program there.

Offline Kamui

• Charmy Army Commander
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #901 on: April 10, 2007, 01:06:27 AM »
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out with a problem I'm having with my laptop. I just got a Sandisk and a couple of Jump(or flash) drives but whenever I plug them into my USB ports the laptop doesn't recognize them, it asks me for the hardware disk or whatever though they don't come with CDs anyway.

My friend suggested doing a Windows Update but that didnt fix it. The odd thing is that the USB ports recognize my Burner, External Harddrive and a separate Jump drive. Can anyone please tell me whats wrong or how to fix it?

If it helps, I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop thats about a year and 3 months old.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #902 on: April 10, 2007, 05:04:15 AM »
^ 'hardware disk'?? Driver disk I think you mean.
Some machines do not recognize sizes above 1GB, try them on another machine to verify they actually work.

Offline Kamui

• Charmy Army Commander
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #903 on: April 10, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
Well I get the Found New Hardware Wizard message, which asks for an installation CD, but I shouldn't be getting that. It should just automatically recognize the MP3 Player. Its just been so frustrating trying to figure out what to do.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #904 on: April 10, 2007, 04:24:06 PM »
^If it asks it can't find it, so it needs a driver disk, simple as that.
MP3 players are not 'standard', USB sticks are but not players.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #905 on: April 11, 2007, 05:49:25 AM »
anyone work with a 7447 BCD to 7 segment display driver? (I'm looking at you mal >_>)

I can't seem to get this thing to work...

someone tell me how to wire this thing up! -___-
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 05:51:07 AM by StreakInTheSky »

Offline gocha

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #906 on: April 11, 2007, 08:39:04 PM »
I use GetASFStream, just downloaded from that URL fine.  ~55min long, ~9mb file.  It's seekable, so seems to be complete.  Took about 2.5 minutes, had to resume it after a connection hiccup in the middle but seems fine.

http://cowscorpion.com/dl/GetASFStream.html grab the program there.

How do you resume?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. Wow, this program is great. Thanks alot
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:45:53 PM by gocha »

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #907 on: April 14, 2007, 07:37:29 AM »
Is there any way to find out if someone is leeching off my WiFi?

My internet seems to be running slower than normal...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #908 on: April 14, 2007, 04:28:15 PM »
Is there any way to find out if someone is leeching off my WiFi?

My internet seems to be running slower than normal...
Most routers have a admin page where you can see who is connected (the MAC address) if there is not one of yours (or multiple while you have only one machine) sombody else is on.
You should protect your WiFi with a password anyway.

Offline cool_kickin_dude

• Member+
« Reply #909 on: April 14, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »
here's a question..I'm sending a letter to miki's radio show and i like to know what's the best translate program to use? i tried babelfish and when i write miki's name it translates to miki instead of it being in Japanese. any suggestions?

Offline Mikitty-saikou

• °C-ute into °S-exy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #910 on: April 15, 2007, 02:37:17 AM »
@_@

Before I begin, I'm using a Dell Inspiron 6000 ~ It's a year and a few months old.

Lately, there have been these lines that have been appearing on the right side of my lcd - They're blue / pink / sometimes even red.. Two or three of them usually pop up when they do show.  But if I tilt my screen a bit back and forth, they go away.  But if I go to close the laptop and then reopen it, the lines comes back. :/

I opened up the top portion of my laptop to see if any of the connectors were loose or if somehow the wires were getting cut by something, but found nothing wrong.  (it's easy to open up these new dell laptops; they're just snap and lock covers and two screws that hold the keyboard down.).

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem.. I'll probably have to replace the lcd huh?   But since I don't want to spend money on getting a new lcd at the moment.. is there a way to check or fix this? @_@  It's such a bother to look at if I'm viewing videos fullscreen or doing graphic work. :/

Thanks guys for any help!

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #911 on: April 15, 2007, 03:06:42 AM »
anyone work with a 7447 BCD to 7 segment display driver? (I'm looking at you mal >_>)

I can't seem to get this thing to work...

someone tell me how to wire this thing up! -___-

Lol, ask me on IRC man. I assume you're talking about this. Just connect up the ground and power, and connect the a-g outputs to your 7-seg (if you don't know, look up a datasheet, it usually has labels for it). As it says there, use a common anode 7-seg. Then, connect up ABCD inputs to a BCD counter (which I guess you'll be using, if not, just connect it up to some toggle switches). You can use the active low tests to check whether shit works.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #912 on: April 15, 2007, 06:35:57 AM »
Lately, there have been these lines that have been appearing on the right side of my lcd - They're blue / pink / sometimes even red.. Two or three of them usually pop up when they do show.  But if I tilt my screen a bit back and forth, they go away.  But if I go to close the laptop and then reopen it, the lines comes back. :/
Sure sounds like loose contacts for the LCD driver but in the screen itself (e.g. the side connectors that drive the vertical/horizontal lines) not so much in the video adapter to LCD connection.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #913 on: April 15, 2007, 11:59:02 AM »
Lol, ask me on IRC man. I assume you're talking about this. Just connect up the ground and power, and connect the a-g outputs to your 7-seg (if you don't know, look up a datasheet, it usually has labels for it). As it says there, use a common anode 7-seg. Then, connect up ABCD inputs to a BCD counter (which I guess you'll be using, if not, just connect it up to some toggle switches). You can use the active low tests to check whether shit works.

lol I did that shit but it didn't work so I asked for help... turns out I had a common cathode display(fucking school bought kits) and had to invert all my outputs. I also had to put the ABCD inputs backwards or the numbers counted backwards.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #914 on: April 15, 2007, 12:09:02 PM »
here's a question..I'm sending a letter to miki's radio show and i like to know what's the best translate program to use? i tried babelfish and when i write miki's name it translates to miki instead of it being in Japanese. any suggestions?
Names are very hard to change from Romaji to Kanji, because so many different combinations of Kanji can be used for pretty much every name. You're best off just to manually replacing her name yourself.

And just to note, if you've ever used a program to translate a sentence from Japanese to English, you would've noticed how it hardly makes and sense at all, well, the same thing goes for translating English to Japanese.

:edit: Oops..didn't actually answer your question. Anyways, there's not a program made that can translate accurately between these 2 languages. The best ones around (also crazy expensive) are the ATLAS series from Fujitsu. I've used the double pack version, and asked my wife how good it translates to Japanese, and she said it was still crap.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 12:17:37 PM by Guchi_Jnr »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #915 on: April 15, 2007, 12:23:25 PM »
The only way to translate from English to Japanese... Ask a friend who knows Japanese to do it for you.

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #916 on: April 16, 2007, 01:23:50 AM »

Translate one sentence at a time, and keep each sentence short and simple.  When you've translated English to Japanese, take your Japanese text and paste it back in and translate it back to English just to see if it's still recognisable - that'll give you a clue when a word with more than one meaning gets translated to the wrong meaning, then you can go back and rephrase it.
And yeah, I'd agree with Guchi_Jnr.  Manually replace the names (look the names up on wiki.theppn.org).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 01:26:13 AM by ~Dan~ »
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #917 on: April 17, 2007, 03:17:44 AM »
something seems to be wrong with my internet connection. truthfully, when downloading, my download speed seems to be limited to only 100kbps.  i remember being able to download up to 500kbps before with a different internet connection.  both times, i use Flashget download.  i change whatever i could in the settings for best optimum performance.  i don't think the flashget download software is the case though, cuz both times i have the same settings only different internet connection.  i only i currently have (the limited one) is cable internet, it's setup with a wireless router and is security-enabled.  the 500kbps wasn't security-enabled wireless router.  i don't know what type of internet it was, whether cable, DSL or otherwise since i only been freely using it.  it seems that both wireless router is 802.11g since both networks display 54MBps as it top speed. 

can anyone help me with this problem?  at first i thought that the reason is the security-enabled network?  but if i disabled it, then it would be a risk. 

btw, my current wireless router, the 100Kbps limited download rate one, is a D-link
Wireless G 54 router (product id : DI-524).  i hope this helps in any way.

I really hope someone who knows more about networks could really help me with this problem. cuz downloading at 100kbps speed isn't as satisfying as download at around 500kbps ( mostly it was downloading at 380kbps but that is still way better than 100kbps).
i only wish to utilize the internet speed to its full potential. i was also wondering since it the cable internet. if i were to upgrade my cable internet speed, would it do any better.  and also which is faster, cable or DSL when it comes to wireless router networking?
truly looking forward to ur help.  any insights and opinions is greatly appreciated. i want to learn more about this anyway.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #918 on: April 17, 2007, 05:14:32 AM »
^ Are you sure nothing is uploading 'at full speed' (like torrents) that severely limits the download speed, never upload above 70% of the maximum upload capacity.
Encryption can reduce the download, but not with this much, there is something else in play.
Maybe somebody closeby has also setup a wireless network and interferes? try a different channel.
Also try: update the firmware of the D-link.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #919 on: April 17, 2007, 01:42:27 PM »
^ Are you sure nothing is uploading 'at full speed' (like torrents) that severely limits the download speed, never upload above 70% of the maximum upload capacity.
Encryption can reduce the download, but not with this much, there is something else in play.
Maybe somebody closeby has also setup a wireless network and interferes? try a different channel.
Also try: update the firmware of the D-link.

i dunno know if the upload is at full speed, how do it limit it then, how much do i limit it to.  but could it be the problem?  when i use both network, i download it exactly the same, didn't really change anything.  i could still try to limit it then.  on flashget software that i'm using, i went to options and on BT, there something that say global max upload rate.  rite now it's no limit, same with the global max download rate, should i limit those?  on upload, maybe to 100-300?

if it's an interferance problem, i'll try a different channel then. 

how do i update the firmware on the d-link exactly?

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hyde - The Cape of Storms