JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Jacky Cheung - Ai Shi Yong Heng

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 484034 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #960 on: April 28, 2007, 05:56:09 AM »
That used to happen to me.  I had "Real Alternative" which is some sort of addon to mpc to play realmedia files.  I got rid of Real Alternative and it stopped doing it.
I think is more that Media Player (classic) sets its 'remembered' volume.

Offline ziggurat

• sweetsplash heartbeat
  • Member+
« Reply #961 on: April 28, 2007, 03:54:02 PM »
I need some help too.. If anyone can shed some light to my problem..

I've two hdd, a 40GB ide seagate and 160GB sata seagate. Recently, the second hdd (160GB sata) will randomly die if it receive a high load and delayed write error message will pop up.. When it occurred, the cpu activity light will blinking rapidly, and error messages will pop up. Some other error message are:

Warning:ftdisk "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur."

Error:PlugPlayManager "The device 'ST3160827AS' (IDE\DiskST3160827AS_____________________________3.42____\5&138d40d1&0&0.0.0) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal."

Error:ntfs "{Delayed Write Failed} Windows was unable to save all the data for the file . The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Error:disk "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
"

After a reboot, the hdd will function like normal. Last time, this problem occurred when i use a mp3 tagging software that scan for mp3s when I click a partition or folder from the software..

I just hope this isn't a sign that my hdd is dying..  Just for a note, my integrated network adapter and a pci slot have malfunction after a lightning strike.. So, I expect that some part of my mainboard also maybe broken.. But for now, all thing still works perfectly..

Thanks you for your time.

Jab <3 marimari <3 ChrNo~ your spirit shall live forever.. T_T || zgy@last.fm

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #962 on: April 28, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
I just hope this isn't a sign that my hdd is dying..  Just for a note, my integrated network adapter and a pci slot have malfunction after a lightning strike.. So, I expect that some part of my mainboard also maybe broken.. But for now, all thing still works perfectly..
I think a little more then just network and pci slot got fried from the lighting strike, backup your data as soon as possible!
It might be only the motherboard that is defective, but I would prepare for replacing the whole machine.
Heavy activity will bring possible future problems more to the surface (e.g. your tagging of mp3's)

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #963 on: April 28, 2007, 04:48:38 PM »
Could be a Windows glitch. With XP, SATA drives occassionally show up as removable drives.

Try switching your SATA cable to a different port on the motherboard. If your motherboard came with software, you should try reinstalling it.

It does sound like a mainboard issue.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 04:48:57 PM by Asmodai »

Offline ziggurat

• sweetsplash heartbeat
  • Member+
« Reply #964 on: April 28, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
I think a little more then just network and pci slot got fried from the lighting strike, backup your data as soon as possible!
It might be only the motherboard that is defective, but I would prepare for replacing the whole machine.
Heavy activity will bring possible future problems more to the surface (e.g. your tagging of mp3's)

Urghh, if that is the case, I'll do what you suggest.. T_T

Could be a Windows glitch. With XP, SATA drives occassionally show up as removable drives.

Try switching your SATA cable to a different port on the motherboard. If your motherboard came with software, you should try reinstalling it.

It does sound like a mainboard issue.

Actually it doesn't show up as removeable drive. It just the error showing that said about the plug and play thing..

Thanks for this quick reply, frblckstr1 and Asmodai. I'll be preparing something for now.

Jab <3 marimari <3 ChrNo~ your spirit shall live forever.. T_T || zgy@last.fm

Offline gokuson86

« Reply #965 on: April 29, 2007, 07:39:32 AM »
does your computer freeze when the internet stops working or just manually power off?

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #966 on: April 30, 2007, 12:12:24 AM »
you know when u enlarge a picture and u get those pixels right, how do you smooth out the picture (taking away the pixels) and make it high quality using photoshop?

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #967 on: April 30, 2007, 08:15:51 AM »
I've been having a problem with my iPod lately. One day, my whole library disappeared. As I plugged it into the computer, it said that there was 30 gigs of "orange" aka "other" x.x yeah. I've tried restoring it and resynchronizing my library completely, but around 66-70%, it'll give me a delayed write failed and the whole iPod needs to be restored again... I can up about 20 gigs safely, but after that, it just goes to hell.

Is there something I could do, or is my iPod done for?

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #968 on: April 30, 2007, 10:23:15 AM »
^ I think you get the idea why there are so many iPods sold

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #969 on: April 30, 2007, 05:26:11 PM »
hope you still have warranty lol

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #970 on: April 30, 2007, 08:45:03 PM »
Assuming nothing is irreplaceable, try reformatting it.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #971 on: April 30, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
you know when u enlarge a picture and u get those pixels right, how do you smooth out the picture (taking away the pixels) and make it high quality using photoshop?

There's no way to improve the image resolution beyond the original source. You can try using the image sharpening functions included in Photoshop, but they may not work that well.

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #972 on: May 01, 2007, 01:16:21 PM »
there are many different techniques for enlarging photos, and none of them are very easy.
- you may want to begin with a simple resize technique, where you increase the size of your photo 10% for as many times until it's the size you like.
- sometimes you need to work with some brushes to help blur out some areas, like skin and tonal gradiants.
- if your original image was noisy (aka "grainy", by color or by luminocity), those differences will be heightened with the image resize. there are some good commercial products that can help reduce this, especially with photos that involve soft gradiants (like skin of a face, etc).
- if you need to enlarge a photo that has hair... there's no good technique for that.

the techniques go on and on, you can search google for them. every photo that is unique will have a unique way for upsampling, so you just have to spend time and try and see what you can get.

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
« Reply #973 on: May 01, 2007, 01:34:02 PM »
wow.. u sure help a lot tg.. u got knowledge man.. i envy u man.. u sure read a lot..

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #974 on: May 01, 2007, 03:33:42 PM »
When I resize an image (I use Paint Shop Pro) there's a dropdown menu with different resize methods, "smart size", "bicubic", "bilinear", "pixel resize", "weighted average".  Some resize better than others, some look more blocky than others.  If a resized image looks bad I try all the options and see which looks best.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 03:34:29 PM by ~Dan~ »
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #975 on: May 01, 2007, 09:47:26 PM »
wow.. u sure help a lot tg.. u got knowledge man.. i envy u man.. u sure read a lot..

lol tg is the go to guy for all your nerdy needs

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #976 on: May 03, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »
ITT, how to securely delete files. Is there any program that can do that? Like, zero everything i've deleted? Actually there probably is, but I don't know what it is. I'm not talking about DBAN, where everything is deleted, but a per file basis?

I don't make sense.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #977 on: May 03, 2007, 04:54:14 PM »
ITT, how to securely delete files. Is there any program that can do that? Like, zero everything i've deleted? Actually there probably is, but I don't know what it is. I'm not talking about DBAN, where everything is deleted, but a per file basis?

I don't make sense.
Yes you do :)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/Security/SDelete.mspx

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #978 on: May 04, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
there's also shredder:
http://www.handybits.com/shredder.htm

and if you need per-file encryption:
http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/

and if you need per-volume encryption:
http://www.truecrypt.org/

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #979 on: May 13, 2007, 04:56:10 AM »
hiya everyone, for some reason everything on firefox was wiped clean. my addons, bookmarks, etc... i was hoping if anyone knows how to get it back, cuz i had quite a lot of loaders on saved on my favourites and i no longer have access to any of it -___-
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Jacky Cheung - Ai Shi Yong Heng