JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Sky

Author Topic: Tech-related problems  (Read 484478 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Tech-related problems
« Reply #1060 on: July 05, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »
Hm, grabbing at some old memory, I would check if the harddrives are running in PIO or DMA mode, if I remember correctly the default is PIO for W2000 and this comsumes a lot of CPU while doing disk I/O.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1061 on: July 05, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »
I can't afford to actually buy XP, especially if I'm not sure if it will work. I could use a crack for it but I'm not sure about doing that for an OS.

@frblckstr1 - How would I check whether my drives are running in PIO or DMA and how would I change it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 11:18:33 PM by marktobias »

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #1062 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:43 AM »
well you can install a cracked one and see if that works. If it does, to upgrade from win2000 to windows XP home edition is only around 100USD

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #1063 on: July 06, 2007, 12:59:59 AM »
Pirated versions of XP are very much functional now (and have been for several years). You can easily find XP Professional Corporate edition, which is just regular XP Pro, but without the activation requirement (WGA).

The only thing that WGA provides is that it allows you to download updates from Microsoft--which are pretty important for XP. But [AutoPatcher] does the exact same thing, only faster, more efficient, and free of any activation requirement. Plus with Autopatcher, you only have to reboot once to install -all- updates.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:00:42 AM by thatguy »

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #1064 on: July 06, 2007, 02:01:03 AM »
The only thing that WGA provides is that it allows you to download updates from Microsoft--which are pretty important for XP. But [AutoPatcher] does the exact same thing, only faster, more efficient, and free of any activation requirement. Plus with Autopatcher, you only have to reboot once to install -all- updates.
You don't need to download updates from the microsoft site* because the automatic updates work and you don't need WGA for those.  Just remember to set it to not download and install the updates automatically, set it to "Notify me but don't download", then when there's updates available you can choose which ones you want, so you look through the list and choose not to install WGA.  It tries to install it once a month.

*One time I read about a way of downloading updates from the microsoft site without WGA, and after some hassle I got into the site and there was nothing I needed, so yeah, the automatic updates are all you need.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1065 on: July 06, 2007, 02:22:50 AM »
Would I be able to just borrow XP off a friend and update it using your methods? It wasn't me that installed it last time so I wouldn't even know how to go about cracking it. I usually just use guess work and online guides for that sort of thing :)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1066 on: July 06, 2007, 05:17:34 AM »
Would I be able to just borrow XP off a friend and update it using your methods? It wasn't me that installed it last time so I wouldn't even know how to go about cracking it. I usually just use guess work and online guides for that sort of thing :)
To give some legal advice: just try Vista, you can install and try it out for 30 days and if everythings works buy a license.

For W2000: don't have a machine handy but check the properties of the harddisk controller, in one of the tabs there isa PIO mode dropdown/DMA.
If the DMA is dsiabled you need different drivers.

Offline marktobias

• TOISU!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1067 on: July 10, 2007, 02:39:55 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I've installed a copy of XP just to see how it behaves. The copy I have is Service Pack 2 so obviously I can't activate it but I can update using Auto Updates. There hasn't actually been errors so far which is already an improvement.

If nothing goes wrong in 30 days then I'll buy it because I'll have a job by then. What actually happens after 30 days anyway?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1068 on: July 10, 2007, 05:36:07 AM »
If nothing goes wrong in 30 days then I'll buy it because I'll have a job by then. What actually happens after 30 days anyway?
For Vista: about the only thing you can do then is connect to the internet to activate it (if I remember correctly you have about an hour before it shuts down otherwise?)

Offline arie

• Old Fapper
  • Member+
« Reply #1069 on: July 10, 2007, 09:34:19 AM »
@arie: as far as I know, winamp isn't configured to do this on its own. but there are a number of plugins you can search for that should get the job done.

I'm now using zingamp [plugin for winamp] easy to use and in Dutch :banana:

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #1070 on: July 10, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »
The penalty for non-activation on XP WGA is that you're locked out from your desktop. Any attempt to login will redirect you to the activation wizard, which you either have to do online or on the phone. The exact number of days varies whether or not you have a legal serial number.

I'm not sure what you mean about activation with regard to SP2. WGA (the activation component for XP) comes on all versions of XP (besides Corporate), not only XP-original or XP-SP1. If you want you could always apply a patch that gets rid of WGA, and you'll never have to worry about activating XP.

Offline nonbon

« Reply #1071 on: July 10, 2007, 02:42:38 PM »
Hi! Can anyone tell me which MP4/h264 converter to download? Which is the easy to use software?
Are there any freeware of MP4 converter?

Thank you!

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #1072 on: July 10, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »
^ Check this post (which is just back one page)

It would help to know more specifically what you're converting. To or from h/x264? Etc. SUPER (in the link) will do just about all types of conversions, so that's your best bet.

Offline nonbon

« Reply #1073 on: July 10, 2007, 03:50:16 PM »
Thank you! thatguy!
Thats the thing i need! :otomerika: :inlove:

Offline nonbon

« Reply #1074 on: July 16, 2007, 07:05:27 AM »
Hi guys !

SUPER work wonders!
DOes anyone know of any software that is able to cut mp3 sounds for handphone ringtones to the desired part  or mix serval songs together?

Thank you

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #1075 on: July 16, 2007, 07:36:22 AM »
^ Give Audacity a try, it seems to be what you're looking for: [Link]

Offline nonbon

« Reply #1076 on: July 16, 2007, 02:52:32 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Shinora

• konkonism: the path to enlightenment
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1077 on: July 16, 2007, 10:22:52 PM »
just recently whenever i click on a download link with firefox, it would not give me the option to open it with a certain program (ie.  torrent file with utorrent).  it only gives me the options to 1. Flashgot and 2. Save as file.  I was wondering if anyone knows how to solve this problem cuz its a hassle having to save the torrent file then open it from my desktop.  thanks.
[
For us Konno fans, logic and evidence can't explain why we love her, or why every day is Konno Day. - Slack

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #1078 on: July 17, 2007, 01:13:16 AM »
Sometimes an extension (like FlashGot) will override default preferences. Give this a shot:

1. Go to Tools > Options. Choose "Content" tab, and at the bottom click on "Manage" under File TYpes.
2. Search for "torrent" (no quotes)
3. You should be able to "Change Action" so that it opens with the default application.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1079 on: July 17, 2007, 01:23:13 AM »
^^ That was happening to me as well a couple of days ago after I had some extensions do automatic updates.. There was yet another update, and now it's back to normal..

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Sky