JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hyde - The Cape of Storms

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 304922 times)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread ("NEW!")
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2009, 06:35:17 PM »
You play neopets? XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »
:shock:

well... who hasn't?

Offline Chika-chan

• Obsessively obsessed about stuff
  • Member+
  • UNDERPANTS!
« Reply #602 on: March 19, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
Maybe some guy down in the Antarctic.

Avatar and sig by the fabulously dorky, yet quirky DJ Maimai

"I used to have nightmares that they would put "He played Ted" on my tombstone."-Keanu Reeves

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #603 on: March 20, 2009, 06:12:44 AM »
Nothing more than just a bit of insanity. I should survive. I always do. >.>

It just gets a bit harder after each time.

Hang in there Estrea baby! Just pop on your JPH!P shirt(s) and feeeeel the warmth and lab.

Postwhoring helps too. I see what you did ;) Or play some JPH!P Arcade.

Just wanted peeps to know that...

I'm not dead, just exhausted.

If anyone cares to know ;P

Glad to see you alive too Loser87 :P I really really gotta dust off the MSN and holler at you and Yuuyami. :sweatdrop:

Writer's block!!!! :angry: I've been trying so hard to write but it sounds so forced so I end up deleting it all anyway. So I've been dabbling with a het(!) fic that will probably not be seen by anyone else. :D B/C it's extremely personal and I'm just using it to get the creatives juices flowing again.

I KNOW WATCHA MEAN KREAM. I been trying to write this JPH!P Newsletter for y'all to read, but I'm stuck. Dontcha always love daigong anecdotes. But gotta soldier on! NEVER GIVE UP. That is what Legends are made of.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #604 on: March 20, 2009, 09:12:31 PM »
^Thanks dai. ^_^

So, random thought but, how do other writers out there come up with inspiration for their stories? Any trick to it? I'm sure the readers are curious about it too. :P

To start the ball rolling, I'll share my own experience. :D Personally, my ideas come out of talks with other people, usually my close friends. Blame or thank Hammy and Stefy for some of the weird stuff that comes out of my head. Lol. Real life experience with stuff helps, but mostly my ideas come out of the "what if..." question.

Examples.

AA = What if the girls were pirates? And ninjas?
Gegenschein = What if they were vampires?
Nocturne = What if Ai was evil. I blame poets for this one. She wanted evil!Ai. XD

Yeah. My story ideas all stem from a "what if" concept. Which is why you get radically different worlds from what you're used to seeing them in. Because my "what if"s tend to be pretty out there. XD

Anyway, how do some of you guys come up with ideas? Other than the "I want to write ____ pairing!" instinct, of course. XD I think every H!P fanfic writer has that instinct somewhere... >_>

Hehe. Time for bed!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline maverickpanda

• Yaguchi&Yossi: awesome begets awesome
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #605 on: March 21, 2009, 01:03:16 PM »
Thats a pretty interesting topic of discussion you got there estrea. hmmmm.  When I look back at how I got inspiration for some of my stories, it seems rather random and silly, and most often a result of two things happening at the same time. 

For example, one day during work I was watching the Idiot Test extra footage with my Itunes playing low in the background.  It came to a part where Rika said "Rain makes me blue," but at the same time, the song Rainy Day Man came on and the idea just came to me. 

Thats it for me, how did it happen for the rest of you guys?

:pandaaa:

(Image of absolute awesome provided by Gloopip Graphix)

Friends are those who walk in when the rest of the world walks out.

Offline Chika-chan

• Obsessively obsessed about stuff
  • Member+
  • UNDERPANTS!
« Reply #606 on: March 21, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
For Monstrous, I was volunteering in a ( HUGE) haunted house, and seeing everyone walk around looking freaky popped the idea into my head.

Yeah, what about everyone else?

Avatar and sig by the fabulously dorky, yet quirky DJ Maimai

"I used to have nightmares that they would put "He played Ted" on my tombstone."-Keanu Reeves

Offline rokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #607 on: March 21, 2009, 03:10:15 PM »
So aside from the annoyance it's causing me personally that the Berryz concerts tomorrow have been canceled (will have to go to Osaka for it now... :cry:), with respect to the Berryz fanfic world, does anyone think it suspicious that Miyabi and Risako both have come down with the flu? :lol: Awful coincidence... perhaps the result of them being a little too close? ;)

As for the inspiration thing, it generally isn't something sudden for me. Usually I just arrive at an idea from other stories and things I've read/seen. For example, inspiration for Circle/Sword came generally from Harry Potter and Japanese mythology in general (since I was reading about it at the time). Inspiration for Odyssey came basically just from wanting to do something Reina-centric to make up for killing her in my previous fic lol. I also wanted to make Ai evil (similar to Essy's motivation, eh? ;) :heart:), and decided to do that by way of Yakuza cause well, I thought writing about something concerning the Yakuza would be cool. :P

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #608 on: March 21, 2009, 04:00:33 PM »
Just one word...

SLEEP!

That's mainly how ideas pop into my head. My unconscious mind would cook up various cool scenes and I'll piece them in order + finalise the characters when I wake up. But then... I dream loads but I'm lazy to write? Heeez.

Oh another form of inspiration is well what the girls actually do or say in RL. Like in Yorosen, or what Sayu said in her radio show, etc. I just use those events and amplify the situation a bit.

Loser87

« Reply #609 on: March 21, 2009, 04:59:13 PM »
Lol, my ideas usually happen on days when I have nothing to do but daydream..
On occasions my ideas pop in when I'm listening to music.

it's a little hard to continue though especially when you've figured the story might be a lot longer than you'd like it to be
And trying to find ways to keep it going and stay fresh or whatnot is troubling.

Aha so my apologies for those that are (probably not) still waiting for the newest updates on Little Death and Normal.

I'm an ass but I've had 2 new story ideas pop into my head haha
But I shouldn't start them until i finish the other two harhar -w-

Anyway, i think this has been the longest post i've posted in a very long time lulz.
w/e time for me to drag off to work..

hm...@ Rokun: miya and rii being sick with the flu did spark my mind with something like...oh well isn't that a little suspicious
LULZ.

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
« Reply #610 on: March 21, 2009, 05:34:08 PM »
I get inspired the Shakespearean way xDDD

I tend to base my stories off of other stories I've seen or heard. Other times, I base it off of mythology~!

But when I find some inspiration I really like, I often wonder how H!P will handle the situation and I'd write it according to that. For Love in the Ice, Eri goes to the recording studio, thinking it was that day when it was actually the next day. That event was inspired by me accidentally going to school when there wasn't any. Embarassed, I drove back home with an "Idiot you, idiot you, idiot yuu... What?" xDDDD So I wondered if MM's ever had something like that happen to them, so I automatically threw Eri in there just 'cause she's likely to do that too, roffle.

Thus,I base everything I write on real life experiences or stories I've heard/read from other sources~! But I mostly do that based on my curiosity of how the girls would handle it~!

So my inspiration stems from my 'what if the girls were in that?' senses. Woo o-o;

And holy crap! two mods and an admin on one page! xDDDD

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #611 on: March 21, 2009, 06:33:37 PM »
Aha so my apologies for those that are (probably not) still waiting for the newest updates on Little Death and Normal.

Awwwww mann... but... but...  I'M WAITING (patiently of course)

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #612 on: March 21, 2009, 07:14:13 PM »
Nice Topic Essy :)

Most of the ideas for my fics either a) spawn out of nowhere b) based on an inside joke c) inspired by things that I am/was currently into.

- my first fic here in the non-perv was just from sheer boredom. It was a rainy Saturday and I was sitting in front of the computer and started typing until I thought it was worthy to be called a fic and post it here. It was really supposed to be a one-shot but I was encouraged by some of the readers to continue. It's on a hiatus now and I don't think I'll be working on it soon. I made a lot of friends here because of that fic and some of them told me to update it just two weeks ago.

- the next set of fics were inspired by toku, It was that time when I first had broadband access at home and was downloading like crazy. Miki is kickass. If she became a Kamen Rider she will be more kicksass.

- the ideas of the fics from my one-shot thread were mostly from Haromoni (without the '@') and dinner.

- the Maimi fic was inspired by the clip of her scoring in that futsal shootout with another team. (Nice legs kick. I wonder if someone got hit by that...)

- the Maiha fic...I was always intrigued by her graduation from Berryz and thought that there's some conspiracy behind it...and I wanted to write about the 7 deadly sins.

- the current one I am working on is based on a suggestion. I never work on it in the office so I can brainstorm and then type everything on my mind when I get home. So far, so good. Slow updates though.

I think I only told two people about this...I had a fic conceptualized because of all the stress at work that I wanted to escape from. It was an alternate universe where you can see the following:

- Aa! is a permanent unit and all their singles were named '__' Kiss (First Kiss, Second Kiss, Third Kiss...) and they release singles every month
- no one graduates from MM
- C-ute debuted before Berryz
- Milky Way is composed of Yui and Yui alone (and her 2 companions)
- Buono sings enka
- Koharu is a member of Berryz
- Miki is Kirarin

It would have been fun to write it but it looked pretty hard to develop so I scrapped it. :P

===

About Miya and Risako being the only ones sick:

Miya was eating some ice cream on a cone or a popsicle and Risako asked her if she could taste it

or

They were sharing the hotel room and prolly sharing the same bed (and/or some other stuff) as well. :roll:

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #613 on: March 21, 2009, 11:39:16 PM »
- Milky Way is composed of Yui and Yui alone (and her 2 companions)
Took me a sec to figure this out. XD

- Buono sings enka
That'd be different.
:hip blink:

- Miki is Kirarin
WTF?
:mon wtf:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #614 on: March 22, 2009, 01:32:32 AM »
hmmm... thinking about it now... both my fics spawned from the same idea... a car flipping over XD

it was a surreal experience when our vehicle flipped over... like i wanted to recreate it coz it happened so fast and i didn't know what was going on... i wanted to think about what to feel... coz i... didn't feel what i thought i was supposed to feel...

... like the scene just played over and over in my head... case scenarios and the shizznit... and the whole fic was supposed to be written just to arrive at that scene... but the flipping over car scene did not and will not happen in Runaway... XD ...

so i started my second fic...

unforetunately, after starting the shizznit, i realized there can't be a car flipping over either XD

wookay, time for a third fic, and this time, a car WILL flip over!!!
 JK JK JK

good topic to talk about, really...

it's like... 'WOAH!' you know?

i'm such a bad writer, i take my ONLY thought process for my fics for granted... XD

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #615 on: March 22, 2009, 01:50:58 AM »
^
You were in a car that flipped over, tru? :shocked:

Hmmm, hard question. :D
I guess a lot of my stories just come from random stuff popping into my head. XD Hate to be so vague but really, that's where most of them start. But there are the ones like "Bath Time" that come from other sources, in that case lemon-scented soap. A few come from pictures of the girls, which is the source of a one-shot I'm working on now. Music is also a BIG trigger of ideas. My whole "Better Days" thing started with the song "Better Days ~sweet love side~" by Katou Miliyah and the first chapter of "Kisetsu" was inspired by "Summer Song" by YUI. Hmm, I guess I also like to write about RL things that have happened to the girls. For example, "Things Fall Apart" is about Yossy's reaction to the death of her little brother and "In Loving Memory" is about the death of Iida Kaori's baby boy.
And pervs...I actually don't know where the inspiration for those comes from. :P

Offline Hotaru

• stan dreamcatcher
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SNH48
    • deukkae
« Reply #616 on: March 22, 2009, 03:34:56 AM »
Very interesting topic....

The fanfic I'm currently working on was on a rainy day. XD

But most of my inspirations comes from reading a story, or mostly just from sleeping.

:D

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #617 on: March 24, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »
Haha. Wow, interesting ways of getting inspiration everyone! Glad I started the topic. Lol. In truth, I guess anything can inspire a person, it's just a matter of finding meaning in whatever that you see or experience in some way. It helps to be observant...or just having an overactive imagination. Hehe. Storytelling is built into all of us!

Alright, since I have a little time on my hands, let's start another discussion. :D Just because I can~

What relaxes you and puts you in a writing mood? If you have a block, how do you try to get over it? I'm sorry if the stuff I keep raising are mostly aimed at the writers lol. So uh, for the readers, how do you prioritize what to read first when you have the time, and what do you absolutely need to have, or would prefer to have when reading fics? Other than a computer and an internet connection, of course. :P

Alright, starting from myself as usual. :D

As a writer, I usually need the right music in the background, depending on the mood of the chapter I'm about to write. It wouldn't do very well to have a happy song when I'm writing an emotional scene. Which was why I ended up making my own track when I couldn't find the inspiration from what I had on hand. Lol. It's not like I can't write without music, but I prefer to have something matching in the background to help inspire me.

Also, I prefer to write at night, as a rule. I have no idea why, but something about absolute silence and the serenity that night brings puts me in a writing mood. I like the dark. XD I can write in the morning if I'm incredibly inspired or something, but otherwise, I tend to do most of my writing at night. :3

As for the dreaded thing known as writer's block, I usually go back to look back at previous chapters to get reoriented with what the heck I'm doing with a story. Sometimes it will remind me of what I had been planning before, or I will spontaneously decide to change something to make it fit better. Which was sort of what happened with Gegenschein, I'll admit. I had to reread everything to refresh my own memory lol.

I also try to draft out a brief outline of what I have planned, so that I won't lose hold of it later, but it doesn't matter if the words don't come out. >_> Annoying, but true. I usually just leave it aside first and go attend to something else. Which is why Gegenschein is being updated while Nocturne isn't for the moment, I have the outline on my table but I just don't have the right words to work with. Haha.

I also find it weirdly relaxing to go back to old chapters and start correcting mistakes. o_o I have no idea why, but I have a perfectionist streak, and tracking down spelling and grammatical errors (I don't write on Microsoft Word, so I don't have spellcheck XD not that I need it all that much lol) makes me oddly happy. :D That and I usually fix poorly phrased sentences and add (or subtract) things that I think make the sentence or paragraph look clunky. That's why my own copy of the story is usually the best...since I'm too lazy to repost it again. :lol: I'm odd like that.

Okie, as a reader, I usually just click on the first story that I'm following that I see updates for. Unless there is more than one, then I'll just go in order from the top. Haha. Not very deep, I guess. XD

I usually don't need much to read. Just give me a comfy place to sit in, some time, and I'm good to go. You're looking at someone who will read anywhere. I used to bring my books and read them no matter what I was doing. Eating, going to the bathroom, walking on the street, on the bus...XD

Well that was a long post. o_O Hope to hear from the rest of you guys!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline tru_harmony

• Ships legally in most jurisdictions
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • It's Official: ~IshiYoshi is Love~
    • Dtru_harmony
    • Dtru_harmony
« Reply #618 on: March 25, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »
I love your topics Estrea-san... I dunno about the others but it sure is good to learn about what goes on when the fic forum people read/write fics...

Anyway... What puts me into a writing mood... ?

I try my best not to have too much physical contact with my girl because whenever we go out, I just CAN'T write after :lol:

But when I do think that I can write, I go up to my bed, I pull down my blinds XD, turn off all lights except this one incandescent light and I write my short update on one sheet of yellow paper using a pencil... then I just type it directly here. Before i didn't write on paper but I've gone from bad to REALLY bad XD

As for revising, I don't have my own copy of my fics. What's here is all there is to it XD. I'm afraid to revise because if I touch the copy here, the whole thing will change. And also if i was to write it in a more cohesive, coherent manner, i would have to do the whole ordeal in one sitting because once I click post, my mind is as empty as when I started... and once I get to interact with people again, I lose the whole feel of it... that's how bad I am XD

As for reading, I read the fics while I'm in my studio which makes me a really bad reader because it's dark in here and it's just all bad for my eyes... I should be alone when i read... I look really stupid when I read fics because I get affected really easily... XD

Offline stefy

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #619 on: March 25, 2009, 05:46:03 PM »
Reading fics!!

I prioritize by eh... well-ness. How well the writer writes. If it's TOOOOOOOO good *bows head at essy-san* I'll take too blardy long to read so I'll put it aside for when I'm in my 'intellectual reading time' mood :P And if it's well written yet simple enough for me to understand then I'll judge which story line I like the most and read that first.

Writing!

... Hmm... Writing mood... I have no clue? Ah, when I'm EXTREMELY bored or when I just HAVE to let ppl see (more like read) my thoughts... For my new fic, I wrote it in the car while waiting for my mom to get her hair dyed *zomg she killed her hair!* (lame) Anyways I was f-ing bored and I bought a notebook and pen (how convenient) on the same day so I scribbled away. Other then that, well essy always say I should be locked up in a totally empty white room with a notebook and a pen so I can write without getting distracted.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Hyde - The Cape of Storms