JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Back Horn - Seimeisen

Author Topic: Download and Test the Windows 7 Release Candidate - FREE!!  (Read 5432 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Download and Test the Windows 7 Release Candidate Free

:shakeit:

If you haven't already heard, Microsoft has made the Windows 7 Release Candidate available to the public. It's expected that this will be the last major public test for the just-about finalized operating system. You don't be able to use this version forever, but it will work normally until March 1, 2010. For anyone who wants to fuck with their PC, or wants to give Windows 7 a shake down, GET BUSY!

GO HERE:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/

Post horror stories and/or oohs and ahhs here!

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Download and Test the Windows 7 Release Candidate - FREE!!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »
Been running it for a few days on two machines now (yes I got the MSDN version), installed without a hitch on both;
 - ASUS Eee Top: PC 15.4" touchscreen, 2GB memory and 160GB HDD.
 - HP dv9600 labtop: 17" main screen, 24" secondary screen via HDMI, 4GB memory, 160GB HDD

Still need to retry: ASUS R2H UMPC: 7" touchscreen, 1.2GB memory, 40G  HDD and fingerprint reader.

Judging by the ASUS it looks like the network speed has improved with about 10% compared to 7077: now getting 21.5MB/s instead of 19MB/s.
The HP's network speed is still maxing out the labtops HDD (31MB/s) so no improvement possible.
DVD video decoding seems a bit slow while using MCE, but using MPC-HC there is no problem to go full screen on my 24" 1920x1200 secondary screen.

To be continued.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 05:06:19 AM »
I've been running the beta for months with no real complaints. It's OK, but it hasn't really super-wowed me either. When the trial is over, I'll probably just go back to XP.

Offline Rick-e

• **Gaki Lover**
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 07:19:08 AM »
I installed it last saturday on my home PC, and loving it so far! the thing that wowed me was that everything works from the time it finished installing. I didn't even have to install the sound driver from my motherboard, though later I still installed the latest nvidia driver.

If all is well after this first week, then it's bye bye vista for my laptop XD

Gaki-san 大好き!

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 01:53:10 AM »
Installed the Japanese version for the hell of it. I like it for the most part, but I can't figure out how to get all the text to be the nicer cleartype font. Some text still use the old Japanese fonts used on Windows XP and it's ugly as hell. Lots of what I do on a computer is in Japanese so it would be annoying.

The new taskbar is pretty nice, it's like Mac OSX's dock but better. :P

I hate how dated Windows XP is, so 7 is something I'm looking forward to upgrading to. Would like it if home users or at least pro users can add the Multi-language interface that they have for the enterprise version... Damn MS and their need to make a million versions to cash on all the licensing...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:52:06 PM »
Installed the Japanese version for the hell of it. I like it for the most part, but I can't figure out how to get all the text to be the nicer cleartype font. Some text still use the old Japanese fonts used on Windows XP and it's ugly as hell. Lots of what I do on a computer is in Japanese so it would be annoying.
Are you talking parts of the OS or things on websites?
On websites they might be using pictures instead of character strings, its a bit difficult to 'cleartype' pictures :)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
Parts of the OS...

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 06:53:55 PM »
^ Send in feedback reports.

If I remember correctly there is a Windows 3.xx style dialog box somewhere in Vista still... but can't remember where.

Offline hiyokokun

• _.-= ERI ♥ AI =-._
  • Member+
  • i don't trust u
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »
So far so good. Many software still compatible with it.
I like the taskbar, it's easy to use and shows you what recent files you've been open recently.

The navigation pane is also helpful in my case. I have two documents folder, mine and my brother.
and when i click on documents, it shows those two places.

and also it's not hungry for RAM at my friends netbook.
The most best thing for me is my bluetooth device is now not asking for driver
it becomes plug and play \(^_^\)  (/^_^)/

Offline rebornsoul

• Member+
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:45 PM »
anyone using the retail windows 7 already? is it good?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 07:11:11 PM »
^ Yup, and yup

'XP on  steriods' :)

Offline BX_LeMans

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 11:41:33 PM »
Still waiting for my parts :(

But friends of mine say, ists very good and much faster than vista oder XP.

Only thing I heard from different people. Never use the update function, format with partition manager or the XP-cd and install on a clean hdd or its not running very long without errors.
I'm not the signature, I'm just cleaning here.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 06:35:34 PM »
Only thing I heard from different people. Never use the update function, format with partition manager or the XP-cd and install on a clean hdd or its not running very long without errors.
Yeah, upgrading requires checking and copying lots of data, clean install is always better then that (although you WILL have to re-setup your own programs but it will clean 'the crap')

Offline BX_LeMans

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
The problem also with a new install, since Windows Vista there is no real formatting, only fast format, and that leaves driver-fragments on the harddisk. Installing another system over that(vista over xp oder 7 over xp/vista) makes a compromitted system, that runs for some time and makes then one blue screen after the other. Sometimes this happens after a few weeks or a few minutes :D But it happens nearly always. Same with update.

And one more thing, i had the problem myself, don't use the format function in vista or 7 with a new harddisk. That damn windows makes only a virtual data-system. In this way you will lose all your data on the new disk after reinstalling windows on the maindisk. :thumbdown:
I'm not the signature, I'm just cleaning here.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »
The problem also with a new install, since Windows Vista there is no real formatting, only fast format, and that leaves driver-fragments on the harddisk. Installing another system over that(vista over xp oder 7 over xp/vista) makes a compromitted system, that runs for some time and makes then one blue screen after the other. Sometimes this happens after a few weeks or a few minutes :D But it happens nearly always. Same with update.

And one more thing, i had the problem myself, don't use the format function in vista or 7 with a new harddisk. That damn windows makes only a virtual data-system. In this way you will lose all your data on the new disk after reinstalling windows on the maindisk. :thumbdown:

I suggest buying a better type of disk then, never had that problem.
No current OS write-verifies the HD on setup, users are to impatiendt to wait for that (500GB at say 50MB/s takes a while) and its not really needed as the low-level hardware will intercept that anyway.

Deleting the partition of the main drive then let the OS allocate its default will result in a clean enough drive.

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Back Horn - Seimeisen