JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AKB48 - Yume no Kawa

Author Topic: (Artist) BoA  (Read 161998 times)

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• Right now it's... KKANGPAE SHIDAE!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Does Don Jess have to slap a bitch?
Re: (Artist) BoA
« Reply #300 on: March 19, 2009, 12:56:21 AM »
OH shit! Gotta remember that!~

I love how they constantly remind us that SM treats her like the Queen as LSM said :)
>>BoA interview<<

btj BOA Interview with BOYTOY Jesse
-O_sLaVe
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:24:40 AM by Owaranai_sLaVe »
>>LIFE ~is just another story~2008/12/26<<
Please Spread The Love; Pervy Thinkers Association

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #301 on: March 19, 2009, 03:31:24 PM »
Awww she's so pretty and lovable. :wub:

But wtf was going on with the video editor? All those random filters was making me go crazy. :tama-mad:
[/url]

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #302 on: March 19, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »
If you ask me, 'Eat You Up' is a case of a PV making the song that lil bit better. That girl can really dance :o It would seem that I can't XD

Never taken an interest in BoA until now, but I'm liking what I'm hearing so far with that and 'I Did It For Love'. I think she could make a decent shot at cracking America provided she gets the promotion.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #303 on: March 20, 2009, 02:51:14 AM »
AH! I knew I should have checked the mail yesterday and earlier today...
I totally got it (and another long awaited package). Ah, today is so good. I love receiving packages. Makes me feel important (college mail gets boring after a while... and annoying). But BoA totally brightened up my day~ I'm totally distracted from my papers I'm writing for Midterm week.. but who cares! "I'm Obsessed~"

Quote from: boajjang
Big in Japan just isn’t big enough for at least two Asian singers in 2009. Hikaru Utada (pictured) and Boa, two of Tokyo’s top-selling artists, are releasing English language CDs this month in an attempt to win over American pop and R&B fans.

For decades, Japanese music managers and American record labels have tried to crack the lucrative stateside market with top-selling artists, including Seiko Matsuda in the 1980s and Toshi Kubota in the 1990s. Each time, the endeavor invariably fails; last year, Universal didn’t even bother releasing an English-language record from one if its rising R&B stars, Ai, despite the fact that the singer was born in L.A., is fluent in English and can belt like Beyoncé.

While Boa and Utada are certainly not the first artists to dream of “making it” in the West, Utada’s “This Is the One” and Boa’s “The First Album” represent a potential watershed moment for Asian pop stars in America: Both offerings arguably surpass previous crossover attempts from the land of the rising sun.

Los Angeles-based record producer Joey Carbone, who has worked in Japan with singers such as Yuki Koyanagi and Crystal Kay, stated in an e-mail that "both records are good...Boa is a great dancer and a good singer. Utada is a very good singer and a great songwriter."

Kun Gao, CEO of San Francisco-based anime-centric website Crunchyroll.com, agrees that both are a cut above the usual Japanese exports.

“Both Boa and Utada are very popular, not only with world-wide audiences but also have extremely loyal and rapidly growing U.S. fans,” he said.

But the performers have their work cut out for them. “When Japanese and Korean singers have tried to have a hit in the U.S.," Carbone said, "they have changed their look and sound to try to appeal to the U.S. market, and it hasn't come across as real."

Boa and Utata are stars in Japan and beyond -- Boa is actually Korean and maintains a good-sized fan base in her native country, although her career is more prosperous in Tokyo, where she currently lives. Utada has sold more than 50 million records in Japan, and it looks as if “This Is the One” is yet another hit; she currently has the second top-selling download in Japan, according to iTunes, for her the first single, "Come Back to Me," off her all-English disc, which debuts here digitally March 24 (and physically May 12).

But winning over hearts in the Heartland won’t be easy for Utada; mainstream U.S. pop fans who listen to Top 40 radio stations such as KIIS-FM (102.7) are typically reluctant to embrace foreign stars they aren't used to seeing on Perezhilton.com or in the pages of Us Weekly, with notable English and Canadian exceptions.

However, Utada sees herself as more American than Japanese.

“I grew up in New York,” she said from Island Records’ Manhattan office earlier this week. “In Japan, I’m seen as a bit of a foreigner, but in America, I get comments like ‘Your English is so good.’ So in both places I’m a bit of an outsider, but I think that comes out in my music, and everyone feels like an outsider on some level. If people can connect with me there, that would be great.”

Although Utada’s been down this road before with another English language release aimed at U.S. listeners (2004’s “Exodus,” which sold fewer than 60,000 copies, according to Soundscan), this time the bilingual multi-instrumentalist seems to have found her true voice with a more focused effort.

Tracks such as “Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence (FYI)” overflow with confidence, hooks and hip-hop-inspired beats. The first single off the 10-song set, the piano-driven, vaguely Alicia Keys-esque “Come Back to Me,” only hints at the riches buried throughout the offering, which Tricky and the sought-after production duo Stargate produced. “Apple and Cinnamon” sounds like a cross between Kate Bush and a Prince outtake from “Around the World in a Day." And “Dirty Desire” might sound good in a club played between Lady Gaga and an old Vanity 6 tune. Almost the entire record is highly listenable, with risky but rewarding twists.

But, alas, Utada has a weak spot, and it might be her lyrics. Take, for example, “Dirty Desire.” While Utada claims the verses are tongue-in-cheek, it’s not clear that lyrics such as “And in my fantasies/I love you long time/Doing my nine to five/I'm thinking six and nine/I gotta make you mine” are ironic.

“My lyrics have a distinct feel and I don’t take myself too seriously,” she said. And what about her evoking perhaps the most odious sexual stereotype of Asian women, the “love you long time” phrase that crept into the urban vernacular after 2 Live Crew sampled a memorable scene from Stanley Kubrick’s “Full Metal Jacket”?

“I’m not easily offended, because I find humor in everything,” she said. “It’s not that different from a rapper saying, ‘Love you long time.’ I just happen to be an Asian girl. I can’t be afraid of what people think when I write.”

Utada has little to fear from her female fans, who may actually appreciate the racy content and the more thoughtful lyrics sprinkled throughout “This Is the One.” She's also won over at least one important male fan in the U.S., a potential advocate who could prove crucial to her success at radio.

“I was pleasantly surprised with Utada,” KBKS-FM music director Eric Tyler said from Seattle on Wednesday after hosting her in-studio. " 'Come Back to Me' makes me raise an eyebrow."

In contrast to Utada’s radio blitz spearheaded by Island Records (apparently, L.A. Reid is a fan and wants to break Utada urgently this year), Boa is taking her music directly to the streets and clubs of America. The South Korea-born singer, who released her debut English disc Tuesday, is hitting Los Angeles and Las Vegas hard in support of “First.”

“In America, Asian society is really big," the heavily accented singer said earlier this month at her L.A. showcase. "They have supported me a lot.” The trilingual singer may not have the backing of a major U.S. label, but she may end up the bigger star in the long run, thanks to infectious dance floor stompers such as “Eat You Up” that should make Britney Spears jealous. The tune was, in fact, cooked up in Copenhagen by Danish songwriters Remee and Thomas Troelsen and fine-tuned at Bloodshy & Avant's studio in Stockholm, where Spears’ vocals have flowed through monitors many a time.

But Boa will need more than Britney-style beats and Asian American fans if she hopes to ever break outside of Asia. At her showcase, a representative from Snoop Dogg’s team was talking with Boa’s representatives, apparently interested in a collaboration (nothing has been confirmed yet, both camps say). Boa will certainly need a high-profile collaboration to make a splash in the States, despite a stellar record full of potential hit songs, including a duet with Sean Garrett, "I Did It for Love".

But even with Garrett, Snoop Dogg, Justin Timberlake or some other champion on her side, Boa may go only so far. “I believe that Boa has a better chance of selling in the U.S. [long term], but I do not think she will ultimately be very successful," Carbone said. "The field of female solo artists doing that exact same type of track is so saturated, there's no room for someone like Boa, a virtual unknown in the U.S. It's just too difficult for her to distinguish herself against everyone else that do similar tracks.”

Regardless, count on Boa and Utada to keep trying well into the next decade. The U.S. just might be big enough to find room for both in its collective pop-music heart.

-- Charlie Amter

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog...-boaset-si.html

-O_sLaVe

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #304 on: March 23, 2009, 05:04:02 AM »
I got mine  :w00t: I'm pretty impressed. I gotta fess up. When I posted "Eien" to keep this thread bumping, that was when I really noticed BoA XD Not when KT was showing me about his 2 posters. Or news of her english album. Loved that little funky dance on the boardwalk for Eien.

You know. I thought that hand with the giant ring was not her hand but a hair clip thing  XD

Great album overall. "I did it for Love" is still my favorite joint. Can't go wrong with wall-to-wall dance tracks. It's either the vocoder or her english sounded odd. Really digging the "Did Ya" "Dress Off" "Hypnotic Dance floor" & "Scream" I"M OBSESSED CANTCHA TELL YOU IM IN LOVE LOVE! REPORT TO THE DANCE FLOOR. I so know I'd dance to that, like running motion. haha  :muffin:

BACK THE FUCK UP!!

I heard from ten that peeps was at the Universal City Walk. How'd that go? Fen? Reports YO!

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »
Report? Umm.. it'll be a short report. :lol:

Got to City Walk around 4:30ish. Found the mini stage where she would perform and waited for the really, really short concert to start. Since I'm short I had difficulty seeing what was going on stage, because BoA is pretty short too. XD But anyways, she sang two songs, "Eat You Up" and "I Did It For Love." There was a short mini talk with her Engrish. XD But her English was much better than any other famous Japanese artist English.  :theking After that she walked off stage and came back out after changing for the autograph session. Only people who got a green wristband got to meet her. Anyways, I didn't take any pics, but my friend did. He had a professional camera with him. XD So I'll post pics when he sends it to me. I've only got a few so far.

Concert:

Autograph:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2009, 05:50:57 AM »
WOW. I love her Iverson Corn Rows :heart:

GJ FEN!! How was  the crowds?

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #307 on: March 24, 2009, 01:24:04 AM »
[FANCAM] BoA - I Did It For Love @ [Universal City Walk] Hollywood, CA. 03/21/09
BoA signing autographs at Universal City Walk [21.03.09]

PT.1
BoA - Sidewalks Web interview part 1 [19.03.09]
"I already do that" LOL
"Yeah, I am (intense)" :heart:. BoA's intense.

BoA - Fan sign at forever 21 in pasadena, ca [2009.03.22]

I'm loving that madd BoA support on this page. Seriously <3 It makes me happy that people love BoA!
And Fen, I'm so jearous!

-O_sLaVe

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #308 on: March 24, 2009, 02:42:53 AM »
Someone compare BoA's "Did Ya" to Haley Bennett's "Buddha's Delight"  :O

Offline Fenrir

• RPG baka
  • Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #309 on: March 24, 2009, 04:44:11 AM »
WOW. I love her Iverson Corn Rows :heart:

GJ FEN!! How was  the crowds?

Hmm... It was alright. Not big, but it wasn't small either. My friend took a picture of the crowd.

O_Slave: Aww... I'm sure she'll come your way soon enough! But I'm more jealous of that little girl in the picture. XD Should've mugged somebody for the green wristband. :lol:

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #310 on: March 24, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »
She better make her Yuropeen debut soon. BOA!! WE LOVE YOU TOO, DAMMIT! lol.

My BEST&USA double double arrived today. I'm a bit disappointed that it's only the two double CD/DVD's and no extra extras with it. I was kinda hoping/expecting for an extra booklet with some nice yum yum or something. I'm happy tho. :inlove:

Gotta fucking love the '09 calendar in the bg too.

Oh yeah. I haven't seen any .flacs of US CD yet, only BEST. I'll probably put the .flacs for it here. And might re-rip BEST at 192ish VBR with decent normalization since the one I got is in 320 CBR and has crazy output levels.

Edit: BoA - BoA (.flac)
Edit2: BoA - BEST&USA - Japan Best In VBR with avarage bitrate at about 185-200. There you go Maria.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:37:00 PM by Sev »
[/url]

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #311 on: March 25, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »
192 please <3

SO JEAROUS! Don't worry, in time I will save up more and get that damn 2CD+2DVD
And yeah... the way they packaged that 2CD+2DVD is actually the "special" thing about it. It's AVEX's chea way of doing something special for special releases. They do it to Ayumi too.

@Fen: ...yeah, you should've mugged that lil girl >.> LOL just kidding...
-O_sLaVe

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2009, 02:16:13 AM »
^ STRAIGHT UP JACKING! Props Sev for the rips! Nice pinky.

Oh yeah Fen and others who went, how many Asians : Westerners were there?? I'm really curious. She seemed pretty nervous in the fancams!

KINDA shadowstar, the beat fo sho. :o

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #313 on: March 31, 2009, 02:33:20 AM »
HO----LY SHIT. She said Miami. Omg. I don't think I'm going to the PI this year........
http://www.allkpop.com/index.php/full_story/exclusive_interview_with_boa/

Second interview link is in the article~ LOL @ JagerBombs + Beer

If you live in Jersey and you wanna make some cash:
http://forums.boajjang.com/index.php?showtopic=114683
_____
My friend and I were talking about BoA, Britney Spears, and Christina Aguilera and since I'm a bit too lazy to sum it up, I just copied and pasted

Me (15:04:36):   i kidna feel sorry for BoA and SME
C1NDY (15:04:40):   y
Me (15:05:00):   all this time they most likely didn't debut when everyone suggested it years ago cuz they knew BS would be a competition and a comparison
Me (15:05:24):   though they never said it, any smart person who knows a lot about the music industry could have figured it out
Me (15:06:02):   and then when she disappeared because she became crazy, they started training and preparing her. cuz it's like... no one would have guessed that she can come back from all that horrible media and craziness she got herself into
C1NDY (15:06:50):   ohh
C1NDY (15:06:52):   yea
Me (15:06:55):   and then boom, out of nowhere, she brings herself back up slowly and slowly until everyone forgets about her craziness. well not forget, but they don't bring it up all the time. and now it's too late (for SME), they might as well debut BoA and not cower cuz then it'd basically prove a point for people like me. same goes for LADY GAGA
Me (15:07:32):   people said she was gonna be as big as old BS, but that was before BS started working to get her title back. does she have it back? I wouldn't say she has it as big as before, but she's definitely bringing her name back
C1NDY (15:08:19):   shes def not as big as before but this Circus album is def better and shes gainin recognition back.
C1NDY (15:08:29):   blackout sucked but this one is good
Me (15:09:04):   exactly. that's why if you notice, Christina is taking quite a break cuz BS is back. while BS was continuing being a crazy fatty, CA was freaking owning it in the music scene.
Me (15:09:39):   i won't deny that BS is damn famous, I'd be an idiot if i said she never was. do i think she deserves it? not completely. not even mostly. but she has it and she's definitely a force to be reckoned with
Me (15:19:17):   blackout, she was still a lil crazy. i don't know any of the other songs 'cept for her singles.. and i did like break the ice. gimme more was okay. hot as ice had cool lyrics, not so bad.
Me (15:19:56):   it's funny how she named her 03 album IN THE ZONE cuz she thought she was the shit, and she screwed it up.
C1NDY (15:20:03):   piece of me is just so damn catchy. i did not like gimme more
C1NDY (15:20:17):   hahahah yeah
Me (15:22:30):   i only really like circus from the new album singles
Me (15:22:43):   i dont like Womanizer or IF YOU SEEK AMY

What do you think? Am I completely wrong? I mean, now I definitely think SME don't even give a shiet about what BS could probably do to BoA. I don't think she's posing a threat to her and  I really think they're trying to be as positive and headstrong supportive with BoA as they can be. They haven't even mentioned BS yet.... Makes me wonder if they're avoiding it completely or they just don't care (like I do) about (new) BS.

-O_sLaVe

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #314 on: March 31, 2009, 07:32:01 AM »
The first week numbers are in!

Soundscan
1 CLARKSON*KELLY ALL I EVER WANTED 90,393 254,671 -65 345,624
2 U2 NO LINE ON THE HORIZON 76,317 132,494 -42 693,310
3 TWILIGHT SOUNDTRACK 74,422 21,189 251 1,544,809
4 THE-DREAM LOVE VS. MONEY 55,513 151,242 -63 206,976
5 LADY GAGA FAME 50,071 46,506 8 506,276
6 SWIFT*TAYLOR FEARLESS 47,057 51,668 -9 2,896,355
7 NICKELBACK DARK HORSE 33,549 36,178 -7 1,710,837
8 GORILLA ZOE DON'T FEED DA ANIMALS 31,257 68 999 31,325
9 BEYONCE I AM...SASHA FIERCE 26,743 28,192 -5 2,003,901
10 FOXX*JAMIE INTUITION 24,192 26,980 -10 765,069

121 T-PAIN THR33 RINGZ 4,356 5,150 -15 518,068
122 PRIESTS PRIESTS 4,353 1,677 160 100,851
123 CHESNEY*KENNY LUCKY OLD SUN 4,317 4,900 -12 650,129
124 VARIOUS HEADING WEST-SONGS FOR THE OPE 4,313 5,517 -22 16,869
125 ARCHULETA*DAVID DAVID ARCHULETA 4,311 4,796 -10 668,901
126 CYRUS*MILEY BREAKOUT 4,308 4,135 4 1,392,380
127 BOA BOA 4,293 29 999 4,322
128 YEAH YEAH YEAHS IT'S BLITZ! 4,288 13,395 -68 17,683
129 SEETHER FINDING BEAUTY IN NEGATIVE SPA 4,241 4,375 -3 681,564
130 LAMONTAGNE*RAY GOSSIP IN THE GRAIN 4,161 6,078 -32 220,655

Offline Naomi

• Member+
« Reply #315 on: March 31, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »
^ Uh, is that good? XD

Anyone know where I can buy the album? I'm not sure if it's only in certain stores because I couldn't find it the last time I went, or is it only online or something?

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
« Reply #316 on: March 31, 2009, 08:44:19 AM »
^ Apparently that's a flop, if I'm not mistaken.

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #317 on: March 31, 2009, 04:09:22 PM »

Charts and certifications
Chart (2009) ↓ Peak
position ↓ Sales Figures ↓ Certification
(thresholds) ↓
Korean Hanteo Pop 1[18] 4,225 —
U.S. Billboard Comprehensive Albums 142[19] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Electronic Albums 5[20] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Heatseekers 3[20] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Heatseekers (Pacific) 1[21] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Heatseekers (Northeast) 10[22] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Heatseekers (Middle Atlantic) 5[23] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Heatseekers (South Atlantic) 8[24] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Independent Albums 16[20] — —
U.S. Billboard Top Internet Albums 11[25] — —
U.S. Billboard 200 127[20] — —

source: wiki
credit: http://forums.boajjang.com/index.php?showtopic=114601

-O_sLaVe

Offline Owaranai_sLaVe

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #318 on: April 12, 2009, 11:17:26 PM »
http://seoulbeats.com/2009/04/boa-the-pervert/
:(

I heard about him dry humping the 14 year old but I never got to see it. They provide a link for it, but the video doesn't work (for me at least). I also heard about him throwing a kid off the stage... Seriously, I like... like ONE song from Akon and I can't remember what it is. And his voice sorta annoys me :X

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #319 on: April 13, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »
Lol wtf. I never heard anything like this about Akon before. I don't really believe it until i see it either. (video not working)

What's more important in this article is that BoA is pimping her shit to Akon. I can totally picture Akon featuring her in future releases, and that would probably be off the hook. :yep:
[/url]

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: AKB48 - Yume no Kawa