JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Te` - Daitan wa Muchi to Hiretsu...

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 993693 times)

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #1440 on: September 04, 2011, 12:03:27 AM »
Fucking Cole Phelps. Why did you have to go and do that? It's not even worth it.

Seriously.

I completed LA Noire there now and was left feeling somewhat let down by the ending *SPOILERS*

Rather more specifically, I was let down in the buildup to the ending. I didn't mind having to play as Kelso at first, I thought it was an interesting twist that fits the purpose of the story, but I didn't like how the emphasis was on him the whole way through to the end, so much so that it pushes Phelps as a secondary character in his own game. The actual ending didn't bother me as much as it did for others. I didn't mind that Phelps died or that Roy Earle got away with it all. It's film noir, it was never going to be a happy ending. I just wish Phelp's death wasn't so lame though. I could see them aiming for something similar to RDR, but the contrast between the two in how they pulled it off is striking.

Still, I don't mean to knock it so hard, because it's so easy to get wrapped up in the story at that point that you just want to keep playing to see it all through to the end. I think it's a really impressive game with a great and absorbing story. The acting was really well done, for Cole in particular, and it just made the game better for it.

I am glad I was collecting the newspapers. The scenes were all so so, but Newspaper #12 actually turns out to be the best scene in the entire game. It's a wonder they even put such a cool scene hidden away like that. Spoilers for the below vid if you've not reached towards the end of the game.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #1441 on: September 05, 2011, 05:47:28 AM »
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #1442 on: September 05, 2011, 07:26:25 AM »
I was seriously thought Penumbra didn't look as scary as Amnesia but then this guy showed up.

Seriously freaked me out. ._.

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #1443 on: September 05, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
3 reasons making me never play Dragon Quest X (from least to most):
1. It's on Wii/Wii U
2. It's an online RPG
3. It's paid service

At least there's still hope from Ni no Kuni. (And there's Disgaea 4 if I can't wait.) :)

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #1444 on: September 05, 2011, 06:58:48 PM »
The only problem is Ni no Kumi costs a crazy amount of money D: lol

DQX I dunno, lol. Squeenix needs to fix FF14 before they release another MMO, even if it'll be super popular in Japan, like Monster Hunter levels of popular, since it's online, who knows.

I wish it was offline :(

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1445 on: September 05, 2011, 08:33:17 PM »
But I've read that it can be played from start to finish offline. And it's not a MMO either, well, not in the truest meaning. More like get a few of your friends into your gameworld to tag along with you. Ton of info here:

-Announced for Wii and Wii U, as well as a possible additional feature of downloading your character onto the 3DS for Streetpass features, the game will be the same on both platforms, but with better graphics on the Wii U. Users from both platforms can play together. (It seems they originally wanted a 3DS version too, but that proved impossible.)

-The concept is based on around 3 ideas:

1. New Impressions
2. The Joy of Playing For a Long, Long Time
3. The Reliability of Being Able to Play with Ease and Relief

-Can be played from start to finish 100% solo and just because it's online doesn't mean there isn't a full script with NPCs and such, so you can take from start to finish to the ending by yourself.

-It takes place in a world called Alstotea split into five continents, each with a different race, Dwarf, Elf, Ogre, Wedi and Pukuripo.

-Invite your friends or register your character to be called into other people's games and level up, other players can watch your fights and cheer or boo and appear as transparent characters. You can also for help for characters to come and save you if you die or pre-write support messages for your friends.

-Battle system is turn-based (if you don't go online, you can hire characters from Luida's Tavern) with the usual commands of fight, special, spell, item and tactics.

-You can build, furnish and create your own house, and then invite your friends over. There is crafting, they showed a seamstress/tailor job with things skills like finish up and sew. It uses the job change system with the skill points of VIII just like IX, but will have new jobs and quests and events added over time.

-They showed two different movies, and some of the usual Dragon Quest elements were in there, shopping for weapons, opening treasure chests, checking dressers for herbs, NPCs like a cat warrior and some kid with glasses, a flying bird and a train, travelling through a DQVIII-like overworld and the turn-based battles.

-Release is in 2012 and beta starts soon, check the official page for more details on that. www.dqx.jp

Info and Video here

The only gripe I can think of at this moment in time is that it just sounds like a bigger scale DQIX with as much emphasis on personality free party members to recruit. Definately need some real chracters like Yangus back in there, I don't especially care to create my own soulless party members, no matter how much I can make them look like Trunks or Son Goku.

Other than that, seems pretty much like a DQ game which sounds a bit of alright to me. Would be pretty cool for a bunch of us to team up and take on some high level quests together don't you think?

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #1446 on: September 05, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #1447 on: September 06, 2011, 11:18:04 PM »
i went to gamestop yesterday to pay off gears 3 and preorder resistance 3 and possibly buy something else...then i looked at the line...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu it was all the way to the door and there was only one employee there so i said screw it...  :thumbdown:

edit - about to play resistance 3  :twothumbs
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:38:00 AM by john_hung »

Offline Kid_Alpha

• Jerk Kouhai
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • (」゜ロ゜)」
« Reply #1448 on: September 07, 2011, 12:02:10 AM »
So I just found out about Infamous, slow I know, I played the demo at Target and I really like it. BUT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE FOR PS3? D;

I always like games that I can't have...

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1449 on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:57 AM »
After playing the crap out of it over the past few days, I think I can safely say that Vanquish is the best shooter this generation. Seriously, show some love and play it.

Judging by the reviews, it would seem that Dead Island isn't as good as that trailer led you to believe. Shame, but it was always going to be compared and judged by that trailer which wasn't indicative of the type of game it is.

Bloodrayne Betrayal comes out this week, gonna check the demo of that for sure.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #1450 on: September 07, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »
After playing the crap out of it over the past few days, I think I can safely say that Vanquish is the best shooter this generation. Seriously, show some love and play it.

It will be dethroned. By Bioshock Infinate. ;) and I can't imagine it being better than Episode 2 I would like to play Vanquish at some point though. That will be my next sub 20 dollar deal purchase once I finish the 3 or 4 others I already have. lol

I wasn't interested in Dead Island at all, the trailer didn't resonate with me like it did others I guess. But the Giant Bomb quick look made me really interested. Didn't realize you could build up different character specs, loot stuff and target body parts like that. Plus I love any games with that kind of fuck around exploration and of course having co-op makes everything twice as fun.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #1451 on: September 07, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
so far i'm really happy with resistance 3...multiplayer is sweet  :D

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1452 on: September 08, 2011, 01:08:12 AM »
The ESRB have let it slip that a Devil May Cry HD collection is a real thing after all. With the Tokyo Game Show due next week, it seems like it would be an ideal time for Capcom to make an official announcement. DMC 3 in HD and achievements? Freaking sweet. My nephew would love it as much as I would. :D

Tried the Bloodrayne Betrayal demo and was left very intrigued by it. The combat is tough. Took me a while to get used to it, I thought it was going to be more dial a combo stuff (e.g. X-X-Y) but instead it's all dependent upon the X button for melee, using a combination of your dash, button press timing and using the analog stick to leap into aerial combat for example. And it's hard too, the enemies don't let up and can do a fair amount of damage each time you get hit. Reviews say it's doesn't get any easier as you continue either. It honestly feels more like a DMC or a Ninja Gaiden then Castlevania, although the visual style and metal soundtrack of the latter is there. They did a neat touch with the background music where it's the blaring fast symphonic metal you'd expect from a Castlevania game, but as you're on low health, the music drains out until all that's left is a quiet piano playing at the same pace. Regain health, and the remaining instruments start to kick in. Like I said, very intriguing, I may just take the plunge and go for the full thing.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1453 on: September 08, 2011, 06:49:02 AM »
^I just got the Bloodrayne demo too and I think I'm gonna get the full game. I didn't like the combat at first, but now I I'm getting used to it and I like it. Especially now since i'm getting better with the dashing I'm not getting hurt so much. It felt weird to not have a crouch, but in my third playthrough of the demo I didn't really mind.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1454 on: September 09, 2011, 12:35:46 AM »
^ I got the full version and I'm really liking it. I just tried to do a speed run of the 1st Stage, trying to get the highest score possible. Only got a C but dashing through the stage, taking out vampires and lamps as I go just looked incredible, and felt great when you get a good string going. I will say this, I can't wait to see Youtube videos of those who are really good at the game. It's gonna look awesome.

Saw the Rise of Nightmares quick look on GB and it looks like dumb fun. But certainly not worth full price, and the gimmick can wear off pretty fast I'd imagine. Like every Kinect game :lol:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1455 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:48 AM »
I just bought it earlier today too! I just made a thread to talk about it some more here: http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=30541.0

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #1456 on: September 09, 2011, 05:58:19 PM »
Saw today at the german electronic store "Saturn" a lifesize Kazuya (Tekken) figure! *____*

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1457 on: September 09, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
First trailer for Persona 4 : The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena

I'm so maining as Chie.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #1458 on: September 10, 2011, 12:49:32 AM »
Can you call in Nanako for an assist?
I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1459 on: September 10, 2011, 01:24:07 AM »
I'd love to call in the Mysterious Fox as an assist character, but I'd probably have to pay an ridiculous fee for him to give me the leaf to heal me.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Te` - Daitan wa Muchi to Hiretsu...