JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kamomekamome - Shin Kami no Gokago

Author Topic: Civilization 5 + G&K JPHiP World War!!  (Read 9374 times)

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
Civilization 5 + G&K JPHiP World War!!
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »
Some people have the game already, some just purchased it on Steam during sales...

anyhow, you can tell from the subject that it's now time for the first ever JPHiP World War!

If you want in just leave a comment and we'll get this thing set up ASAP.

Keep in mind that unless we all have the Korea DLC no one can actually play as Korea (if you wanted to rep kpopland). On the off chance we all do have the DLC.. I shamelessly take this opportunity to pick Korea. BOOM.

sig not by Stryfe... but I don't have the heart to remove the shout-out

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
  • "Homie, you're the Lupe Fiasco of JPH!P" - Masa
    • thatonezombie
Re: Civilization 5 + G&K JPHiP World War!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »
I think we should do this sometime in Mid to Late December, when people are off work and/or out of school.

I vote for TOZ as the most gangsta~  :otomerika:
[01:35] <shirenu> if it ain't zomb, it ain't bomb
Visit TOZ's House of Hits http://forum.jphip.com/index.php?topic=23639.0

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 05:15:58 AM »
I'm in, once I learn how to play this thing. I haven't really played Civs that much since the first one. :lol:

Got Gods & Kings and all the DLC as well.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 05:17:02 AM »
I think we should do this sometime in Mid to Late December, when people are off work and/or out of school.

If that's good for you then yea whatever works. It's gonna be a bit of a logistical nightmare getting multiple people in multiple time zones getting on the same page to play what may be a VERY long game.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:28 AM »
I'm in, once I learn how to play this thing. I haven't really played Civs that much since the first one. :lol:

Got Gods & Kings and all the DLC as well.

I'm always around for tips and whatnot. Just holler at me on IRC.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 05:29:49 AM »
TBH, I never played online because it could end up being a long game.

So perhaps if it's a world war, there should be a turn where everyone starts fighting. Turn 250 or something.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »
TBH, I never played online because it could end up being a long game.

So perhaps if it's a world war, there should be a turn where everyone starts fighting. Turn 250 or something.

The game can be saved and returned to at a later time so the length shouldn't really be a problem as long as we can all find time to continue it from time to time.

I haven't put much thought into it, but since you mentioned it I was thinking:

-Domination victory only (maybe diplomacy also)
-Earth Map
-no barbarians
-2x participants as city-states with no AI controlled Civs

If you want some sort of mandatory starting peace for X amount of turns that could be an idea, but 250 turns seems a bit excessive. If Cultural victory was enabled I could win in that time without having to left a finger and that would be anti-climactic for everyone I'd suspect.

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:03:08 AM »
Put me down as interested!  I bought the game on release date but never played multiplayer with this version so it should be fun!  My job may kinda muck things up if we want to schedule a regular session or something, but if we can work things out I'm down!  Also, I call Japan.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 02:44:44 AM »
I got the GOTY edition of Civ 5, plus Gods and Kings during this Steam autumn sale. No Korea DLC for me (I think). I just threw out 250 arbitrarily, but maybe 50 turns with a truce before we start stopping each out?

Offline Flyp

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • 12th gen supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
If there's only going to be a few of us, maybe a comp stomp with us all allied against some hard CPU civs?  Just a thought.  Also, what kind of game pacing?  Quick? Marathon? Regular?

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 09:59:57 PM »
TOZ: 50 turns sounds like a good idea. gives good time to get situated and deal with barb camps. I like it.

Flyp: If there's 4 of us, which is what it seems, add in 8 city-states and that makes for a great mid-size map game to me, imo. I could comp stomp on my own time, no offense. 90% of my Civ 5 time has been spent making the AI look stupid. I wanted to organize this game so we could stomp each other. I mean, if you wanted to have some chieftain levels Civs in there to mix things up along with city-states that'd be cool, but I won't make any promises that I'm not coming after non-AIs first lol. To answer your question, Quick.

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:13 AM »
Round 1 of Asian Pop World War was a success!! Here are some pics:

Close-up of the capital. Headquarters of all kpop activities.                                         

Oh lookie... Korea has adopted Judaism. For the WIN.

Look at those dirty Japs.. ugh.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:23:19 AM »
FUCK.

Next game I need to get in.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:25:16 AM »

I'm playing China in the Asian Pop World War so I naturally went with C-Pop.

Yes. The only C-Pop I know... Crayon Pop. :P

Earlyish situation. Gummi still missing.

Everyone in place. My high maintenance UG idols taking over the world, or this continent, at least.

Also started a religion called Crayon Anarchy! Which sounded like an apt name. :P

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2012, 06:14:09 PM »
First Civ 5 JPH!P World War is over and in the end, C-pop reigns supreme with a scientific victory. Viva la Crayonlucion!

Wish I had taken more screencaps, but it got so hectic at times I forgot, anyways, MY view on how things progressed:

--

The game started with me (China) on one big continent, Korea (forthisgift) and Japan (Flyp) on another. So I already had a bit of an advantage of having a continent of my own. I proceeded to settle a total of six cities, concentrating on improving that empire. Since we had no barbarians in this game and I had a hunch things would be peaceful for a good while, I put zero effort in researching and producing anything military-related. China has the Paper Maker, a unique building which replaces the library that instead of losing gold for maintenance, actually produces it. So I whipped those out and proceeded to build a flourishing empire with plenty of luxuries and a couple of city-state allies. I didn't even research seafaring properly so I was really stuck to my continent and the few small islands neighbouring it.

At some point, Flyp came knocking with his scouts, and much later ftg. I sent my own scouts out way, way later. I noticed that Flyp's Japanese empire was spread out fine, but not particularly flourishing. FTG had built a tall (only a few cities) and apparently flourishing little K-pop empire. As is my habit, only enhanced by the Chinese, I produced a lot of gold and used it to keep my city-state allies happy. At one point I finally sent out some scouts and started buying out the city-states on the Korea-Japan continent. I don't think Flyp liked it much coz he started harassing one of the city-states near my continent and eventually took it.

After that, Flyp brought that invading J-pop force to my cities. I still had only a few military units but also a strong infrastructure and tech levels that eclipsed Flyp's. I started cranking out infantries, which were twice as strong as Flyp's riflemen. I also researched the landship just in time, so I managed to add plenty of fast, strong tanky units into the fray as well. Japan has this unique skill that their units deal full damage even if they're completely crippled and near death, but it was of little help because I had such technical superiority among my troops. In the end, I threw Flyp's force back. At this point Flyp had to bow out of the game. Now, I had a massive army built just to defend the assault, but it made sense to use it for something. So I decided to invade Japan with it.

I started taking down the now AI-controlled Japanese cities with my army and eventually ended up on the Korean-Japanese continent. I had plans to simply roll over Japan and take control of all their cities. After I had conquered a few cities, however, ftg finished the Apollo Program (which allows you to build spaceship parts for a scientific victory) and alarm bells started to ring in my head. I wasn't concentrating on winning the game yet, and I hadn't even researched Apollo Program tech myself yet. I knew I had to do something.

I negotiated a bitter peace with Japan, which included them giving me one of their cities closest to the K-pop empire. And since time was of the essence, I quickly built a squadron of bombers and battleships, as many as my oil reserves would allow, and quickly (perhaps even too quickly, as the slower forces lagged behind the tanks) threw all of my forces at the Korean capitol. This is where the real fun began.

As my tanks blitzed towards the western border of K-pop land, I knew the diversion was well-placed. You see, Korea was not prepared for a full-fledged assault from the west via land. He had a fleet of subs ready to take down any eastern naval assault but since I was already on the continent, waging war with Japan, it was easy for me to stage a land attack. I didn't expect any great success, although after I saw the Korean defense force (consisting of a few inferior war infantries) I was momentarily more confident in my chances. Well, at least until the first nuke hit my troops.

Yeah, ftg decided to decimate my troops, along with the western half of the Korean empire, with nuclear strikes. My troops, while many in number, perished quickly when battered with atomic bombs. K-pop land was now all shiny with radiation and black with burning smoke. All this served to create the diversion I was looking for, however. Since Korea was now forced to invest in the war, all my cities were cranking out science, science, science. I caught up with ftg, and soared to all the technologies I needed to build the spaceship parts. Eventually almost the whole of my Crayonese army perished on Korean soil. But they served their purpose, as I finished my spaceship and took the scientific victory.

--

I have to say this game was a lot of fun. I've only played CIV 5 for a few weeks now, but playing with friends adds an extra layer of awesome. The simultaneous turns made wars a hectic click-fest of who-strikes-first, but it still worked fine somehow. Hope to play another world war soon, maybe this time with barbarians or something different like that. I did feel like I had a big advantage with the big, peaceful continent I got all for myself.

Some stats from the end.

The size of my main empire a few turns before the scientific victory.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 09:51:10 PM by Stryfe »

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2012, 08:33:36 PM »
That's a really awesome play-by-play, Stryfe. Well said.

I went with a 5 city empire, hoping for a science victory myself seeing as it's Korea's best play for a win in Civ 5. They have inherent bonuses to science in the game as well as a the ability to turtle pretty well. It was not smooth sailing at all. No oil resources was shitty, barely any aluminium so I had to wait for recycling centers to produce enough to even defend myself AND build shuttle parts, Two front war, Lost a key ally (R.I.P. Flyp), I shot myself in the foot producing WAY too many buildings and improving too many tiles making my gold upkeep costs ridiculous... as you can see in the picture I had to have a city producing gold full time towards the end of the game.

Grats to Stryfe on the well-earned victory and thanks to Flyp for playing. The inaugural JPHiP World War was a resounding success and was lots of fun. Maybe we'll get more people to participate next go around! 

K-popLand at the height of her power.. : ( R.I.P. sweet angels.

Offline thatonezombie

• 67th Mr. Mountain
  • Member+
    • thatonezombie
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »
I lol'd at the convo you guys had in the screen:

ftg: koreans are sturdy
Stryfe: yeah, ive seen soyeon

:lol:

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 06:50:48 AM »

Hateyouguys

Like I said on IRC, shame on you, FTG, you should have destroyed all of c-pop land for that blasphemy!
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 03:27:03 PM »

Offline Forthisgift

• Kim Jong Trill
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Team Swag
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »
You know what??? Why don't you buy Civ 5, Dio, and get in on this you big baby!

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Kamomekamome - Shin Kami no Gokago