JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Brown Eyed Girls - A Midsummer Night`s Dream

Author Topic: Speeding Cars  (Read 3188 times)

Offline hanh

• ecchi
Speeding Cars
« on: October 29, 2006, 10:51:35 AM »
Hi all, this is one of a few fics I'm working on (slowly) right now.  It's an AU set in So-Cal (because I miss it) and it's supposed to be a kind of modern Snow White with a certain twist.  The title is from an Imogen Heap song of the same name... if you look over the lyrics of the song, you might get a feel for the overall theme of the story.

I think it's a little more melodramatic than it needs to be, but I wanted to maintain a darker/angsty atmosphere because IMO, Snow White is not as happy yaywoo a story as Disney would like us to believe.

So without further ado, here is the first part. (The second probably will not be up until Thursday or so because I'm busy with pharm school apps.)

~

Speeding Cars

Once upon a time on a midsummer day, when the waves of the Pacific rolled in gently to shore and the hot sun shooed the clouds from the sky, a young housewife sat on the porch of her family’s beach house, enjoying a rare breeze.  With one hand on her swollen belly and the other resting on the arm of her chair, she mused to herself that a girl born in this heat would probably have an equally hot temper and fiery personality.  She hoped that a dip in the ocean would be enough to cool her down, and so she headed inside to change into her bathing suit.

As she stood, she felt a sharp, unusual prick in her abdomen, and panic raced through her.  She desperately called out to her husband, who, sensing the urgency, came hurtling down the stairs.  Within minutes, they were on their way to the hospital.  Soon after that, their little girl was born by caesarean, and when the child was born, screaming as if the hounds of hell were at her heels, her mother smiled and died shortly after.

17 years later

The bed was still warm.  Minutes ago, a girl had rested against its headboard, staring aimlessly into space until a maid knocked at her bedroom door to announce the arrival of a guest in the driveway.  The haze had slowly cleared from the girl’s eyes as she squinted in annoyance, brow furrowing in an attempt to ignore the disturbance and return to her previous state of nothingness, but the knocking became more urgent, each rap piercing through her like gunfire, and she resigned herself to her fate.

The girl now stood in the foyer, awaiting the entrance of the visitor.  She knew this caller was no unexpected guest, but someone who would soon be a new occupant of the spacious Newport Beach mansion she called home.

She willed herself to maintain a cool composure, though fires of reflexive loathing coursed underneath it.  She was sure that the blistering hate showed in her eyes, that her eyes would melt from the heat and run down her face, darker than any tears could ever be.

But she had promised.  When her father told her he was remarrying, she had promised that she would try to like her new mother.  She had renewed this promise every year or so, each time he brought a new wife home.  The meaning of the promise had begun to crumble a long time ago.

She had truly tried to love the first one, anxious to know a mother’s affection, but the woman was more interested in the liquor cabinet than her stepdaughter.  The second was warmer, even taking her to the mall or the movies on occasion, but her halfhearted kindness was offset by the young men she was fond of entertaining in her husband’s absence.  After a subsequent string of new mothers to try to like, the girl had given up the pretense of keeping her promise to her father.

This one would be no different than all the rest, she was sure of it.  More trash dumped onto the pile of shit that was her life.  She fleetingly wondered how long this one would last, but quickly dismissed the thought, reminding herself harshly that she didn’t care.  After all, the Earth does not stop to think about the gophers digging holes into its back, nor does the sun pay any mind to the random meteors that sacrifice themselves on its surface.  She must remember that such creatures as this new woman should be beneath her notice.

Immersed in her thoughts, she almost didn’t notice the front door opening to reveal two young women, both about the same age as herself.  She grimaced in disgust.  She knew her father’s taste was really something lately, but she never expected that he would take to robbing the cradle.

The girls approached her uncertainly, stopping a few feet away.  They reminded her of the little rabbits that infested her school, and she wondered if they would also run away if she made a sudden movement.  One of them shuffled her feet uncomfortably, fixing her gaze on a nondescript tile for several minutes before the other scowled and elbowed her sharply.  Reluctantly, the former looked up and cleared her throat.

In heavily accented English, she began, “Ah, nice to meet you.  Ano, my English… no very good.  Japanese ok?”

The bitter girl stared at the newcomer.  The bitch didn’t even speak English.  Way to go, Dad.  What a winner.  But she grudgingly admitted that she was pretty, at least.  She nodded and replied as flatly as possible, “Un. Hanashimasu yo.”

Relieved, the other girl switched to Japanese.  “I’m Fuji-… well, no, I guess not anymore...  Um, I’m Goto Miki.  Pleased to meet you.”  She bowed deeply.  “This is my older sister, Mira.  You must be Maki…-chan?”  She tested out the suffix questioningly.

“Maki-san is fine.”

Miki smiled uneasily.  “Well, Maki-san…considering our ages, it would be pretty silly for you to have to call me ‘mom’, and I would never think to replace her, but I hope-”

Maki cut her off brusquely, annoyed at her attitude.  “Look, you don’t have pretend you aren’t here just because you want my father’s money, ok?  This is how things are gonna be.  You don’t fuck around in my business and I won’t fuck around in yours.  I don’t want anything to do with you.  Do whatever the hell you want, but stay away from me.  I don’t want to see you and I don’t want to talk to you.  We are not friends and we never will be.  Got it?”  Without waiting for a reply, she turned away and stormed up the stairs to her room, slamming her door.

The two remaining young women looked at each other in bewilderment.  Mira eventually spoke.  “Well, she seems nice, eh?”

~

Tell me what you thought! I'm still working on my writing style, so any advice would be welcome.

Offline goosefish

• ecchi
  • Member+
Speeding Cars
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 12:07:59 PM »
Hello~!! :P

Wow. Speeding Cars definately catches my attention, so well done!

I like how you wrote Maki to be bitter (well she would be from all those stepmothers) but also told us that she DID once try to get along with them. I'm interested to see where this will go after this.

So Miki is the new stepmother and Mira is her daughter, right?

As for it being melodramatic, I don't think it's a problem considering the overall feel. Good work and looking forward to the next one. :D

Offline Yuuyami

• Hardhat? ( ¯ロ¯ );;
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Prance. Do it. Now. N.O.W.
Speeding Cars
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 01:12:30 PM »
This is definitely very interesting. Miki as the new step mother and Maki as snow white, eh?

The song gets my interests too, so I'm looking forward to your writing.

Offline Seagull

• Ryo's lover <333
  • Member+
  • Soshified Shapley, E.L.F, Ryotard <3
Speeding Cars
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 02:06:12 PM »
Ohh, I think this is going to be a good fan fic :D

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Speeding Cars
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 06:55:32 PM »
I love how you have an image in every paragraph, and I was not expecting Maki!

Offline hanh

• ecchi
Speeding Cars
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments! :heart:

goosefish: I think a lot of your writing, so I'm really glad you like it.  Mira is Miki's older sister.  I was originally going to make her Miki's maidservant, but I changed it because it'll work a little better later on in the story.

Yuuyami: When the idea for this story popped up in my mind, I couldn't picture anyone else as Snow White, and when I decided on the role the stepmother will play in this story, it just had to be Miki, for reasons that will come up later.  Please stay tuned!

shunjunsweden: Thanks, and I sure hope so!

rndmnwierd: I felt that including a lot of imagery was important to convey the high tension in the house and the intensity of Maki's personality and experiences, as well as maintain a storybook/surreal feel in some parts.  Is it working? XD

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Speeding Cars
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 10:10:03 PM »
Quote from: hanh;224212

rndmnwierd: I felt that including a lot of imagery was important to convey the high tension in the house and the intensity of Maki's personality and experiences, as well as maintain a storybook/surreal feel in some parts.  Is it working? XD

Oh, very much so my friend, very much so!
And of course, I beg for more.

Offline ferrar1

• エロリン ~ 大っスキ ~
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Speeding Cars
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 04:17:01 AM »
hmm.. lately alot of writers here have begun on the next level of storylines for fanfics which i thought was amazing.

Your fanfic is also highly detailed like Do me do me's fanfic, and i really like such fanfics. At every part of the story i can really imagine the situation in my head and it really helps to paint a better picture of the story.

Regarding the storyline, i would have to read on further but im starting to really like the plot. Why Miki hmm, I cant wait for the next few chapters!!

PS: what song is this?

The title is from an Imogen Heap song of the same name... if you look over the lyrics of the song, you might get a feel for the overall theme of the story.

4th Pic of Eri courtesy of t-motion's gallery ~ Sangokushi Taisen anyone ? http://sangokutaisen.blogspot.com/ ~ Lame attempt at a personal blog ~

Offline sweeety

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Speeding Cars
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »
Hey does this story continue cause its really interesting!
I wanna know what happens. I thought Miki would be the daughter but then I got confsed and then realised that was Maki. Kool. But I dont like Miki marrying her dad, I prefer it if she was the younger sister, that way they could fall in luv <3 <3 <3! Anyway I hope you continue this fic or tell me if the rest is posted anywhere else coz I really like it. If not could you please at least tell me how it ends? Dying out here! Thanx, good work, hope it continues.....
I have a porcupine called zazoom, he leaves his scent on peoples' graves.

Offline sweeety

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 11:30:47 AM »
I feel sory for Maki, having been betrayed and hurt so many times and by so many different people that she refuses to open up her heart to anyone. She wont even pretend to like poor Miki who seems quite innocent frankly, and she wont even consider being friends with her (let alone her lover <3 <3 <3 -huge HPluvstoryshipper). She has shelled her heart protectively and it's gonna be hell for Miki to try to get in. I just hope someone manages to taim that wild beast before it is too late.....
I have a porcupine called zazoom, he leaves his scent on peoples' graves.

Offline Sancho

• 8LayerIceCreamVendor
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 06:47:51 AM »
It's been quite a while since the last time I read a fic. The title caught my attention. I thought it would do something about cars but I'm wrong . XD XD. But still, the story is interesting. a step daughter and a step mother in the same age. An issue that is not much used when writing a story (in my opinion of course  :D ). Please work this one out.  :D

JPHiP Radio (28/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Brown Eyed Girls - A Midsummer Night`s Dream