JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - Aoi, Koi, Daidai-iro no Hi

Author Topic: Post your PC's specs here! + Discussion about hardware  (Read 105176 times)

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Post your PC's specs here! + Discussion about hardware
« Reply #240 on: July 11, 2007, 05:21:10 PM »
Like I said that is all done by the small 1GHz Celeron machine using only 30W! The whole 24/7 part of that (so including the file server) is using 140W/hour.

30W is still very small compared to Athlon64, but that's only comparing the CPU. You then need to add in the motherboard and optical and hard drives. frblckstr1's results (~140W/hr) is just about average for PIII computers. But it's still better than 200+W.
Sorry but you are not reading correctly, it a *TOTAL* of 140W for *2* machines, this is what the UPS says:

There is also a 8 ports 3Com network hub connected to that UPS.

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2007, 06:07:54 PM »
But is that the total effective load? The meter seems to show only the load on the battery, but it doesn't indicate if part of the total load is being split to the AC.

If you were to disconnect the AC, does the load still show 140W?

The spec for the intel PIII CPU series (minus the low-voltage mobile parts) is a power consumption of 20-30W.

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #242 on: July 11, 2007, 06:47:21 PM »
But is that the total effective load? The meter seems to show only the load on the battery, but it doesn't indicate if part of the total load is being split to the AC.

If you were to disconnect the AC, does the load still show 140W?
Yes, Load on battery == load on 'AC' (this is a 'Backup UPS' which means it isn't running directly from the batteries but 'in parallel' and switches from AC to battery when needed, makes for a cheaper construction e.g. about half the price of a 'smart' UPS which is always running from battery, but that would not change 'the load'.
And I verified by connecting a power meter between the wall socket and the UPS, which when charged doesn't take much extra (< 1W trickle charge)

The spec for the intel PIII CPU series (minus the low-voltage mobile parts) is a power consumption of 20-30W.
I'm guesssing those are maximum TDP's.
I am talking Celerons that are normally running <20% load:
Machine #1: 1GHz Celeron, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD (doing maybe 10 torrents at the same time)
Machine #2: 2.2GHz Celeron, 1GB RAM, 2*250GB + 2*80GB HDD (downloading 1 thread from the newsserver at 2Mbps/s

(had to download the FrequencyID utility from Intel)
The 1GHz is identified as FC-PGA version, CPU Type=0, Famliy=6, Model=8, stepping=A, revision=1, 128KB L2 cache, 16KB L1 data cache, 16KB L1 instruction cache.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2007, 07:00:20 PM by frblckstr1 »

Offline thatguy

• キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!
  • Member+
« Reply #243 on: July 11, 2007, 09:17:02 PM »
I won't question the numbers you read from your equipment, but you'll forgive me if I'm still skeptical of that amount of power consumption.

I still find 30W overall consumption for a PIII-class system to be quite remarkable, because there are dozens of reports that show average power consumption of a PIII system to be around 120-140W. Those tests do include a CRT monitor, but such monitors consume on average 60W, which puts the box itself at around 60-80W consumption--which is still far off from 30W. That said, maybe the numbers are different for the Celeron family.

I'm basing my estimates off of "system 2" from [this test] as well as half a dozen other tests that you can find through google, which more or less show a load of 60-70W on a PIII ~1ghz system under typical usage.

Then again there certainly are additional factors that could add up, such as having a micro-ATX board instead of standard ATX, attached peripherals and add-on cards, etc. But for the sake of nox_xie who seems to be commissioning a vanilla PIII to moderate usage, I'd still take the conservative side and say to expect notably higher power consumption than 30W (but still considerably lower than 209W).

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2007, 05:13:42 AM »
I was very (and pleasantly) surprised when I tested this the first time.
And this is a mini ATX with VGA onboard, LAN onboard and a laptop CD-ROM in a 1 unit pizza box style case we are talking about, its power supply is also rated at a maximum of 100W.
The system is a AC-644 barebone system from ROLLY.

Just the other day when we at the office replaced some systems I tested there 'idle' power consumtion and it turned out the 'old' Dells (1.8GHz P4's 1GB RAM 40-80GB drives) that are replaced where running at 50W idle, the new system run at 80W idle (2.13GHz Core2Duo 4GB RAM 2*160GB drives) some Shuttle Cube's (P4 3GHz 1GB RAM 80GB drive) we tested where running at 90W idle.

I think the trend of the last years was not so much on reducing energie consumption :)

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2007, 07:12:03 AM »
thanx for the hard work for searching the data and guide.. me now got a new problem.. haha.. cant find any p3 mobo.. maybe i change my plan.. going for other low end proc.. a sempron or intel celeron d.. hurmm..

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
maybe i change my plan.. going for other low end proc.. a sempron or intel celeron d.. hurmm..
No idea if you can lay a hand on an (older) laptop, but laptops have a tendency of using less power.
My HPtx1020 is using 33W when idle, and that is with the LCD turned on.

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2007, 01:05:39 PM »
nah.. i not that rich.. laptop are quite expensive here(seremban).. nearly rm800 for an old one..

now searching for mobo and proc for the bt rig.. i search info and found out that sempron(754) using low power.. now planning to buy it and still negotiate with the seller..

i also learn that i can use my a64's special "cool and quiet" features.. didn't know it before..

Offline NAzu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #248 on: July 20, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »

Got my watercooling system running today :)

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
« Reply #249 on: July 26, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »
wow.. nice cooling liquid colour.. uv react is it.. damn cun.. me also like green color.. like radio active tubing..  :P nice case and cooling setup.. so what's your current processor speed?

Offline JohnStar

• <3 all :)
  • ecchi
« Reply #250 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »
AMD x2 4200+
2GB ram.
2x 250gb, 1x 80gb, 1x 120gb (I need another one out of space)
xfx gf7800gt

Main OS is linux but I do have XP on that 80gb if I really need to use that and VMware doesn't work for what I need.

Any other linux users on the forum?
If only you could download Goto Maki. I would be a happy man.

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #251 on: August 10, 2007, 11:14:40 AM »
Question:  I've been thinking about buying a new cable modem since mine has been acting up.
 i wonder if all the cable modem is the same, is there a different type of cable modem that gives u better speed and performance?  is there a better brand?  which one is the best to buy?  i dunno much about cable modem, so before i buy, i wanna know which is the best one to get.

Offline nox_xie

• reina's bodyguard
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • tanakacchi_lover
« Reply #252 on: August 12, 2007, 01:50:04 AM »
i'm on the move into the other side.. now playing with linux ubuntu.. still long way to go.. need an extra hdd for that cause main hdd already occupied by xp and vista..

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #253 on: August 12, 2007, 06:03:16 AM »
Question:  I've been thinking about buying a new cable modem since mine has been acting up.
 i wonder if all the cable modem is the same, is there a different type of cable modem that gives u better speed and performance?  is there a better brand?  which one is the best to buy?  i dunno much about cable modem, so before i buy, i wanna know which is the best one to get.
Around here cable modems are suppllied by the cable operator, so not much choice.

Its different for ADSL(2(+)) but there is more about extra features and only sometimes about line quality.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 06:04:26 AM by frblckstr1 »

Offline Narutokun

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #254 on: August 12, 2007, 06:29:09 AM »
Iam running this system

AMD X2 3800@2,6Ghz
2GB Kingston Hyper X Ram
ATI X1900XT
and 650GB HDD

in 2 weeks iam going to buy this

Intel Q6600 4x2,4Ghz
2GB A-Data Vitesta RAM DDR2-800
Nvidia 8800GTS

Offline arie

• Old Fapper
  • Member+
« Reply #255 on: August 16, 2007, 10:04:32 AM »
Hi,

I currently have 2 HD drives in my pc.winXP
The main is in NTFS and the 2nd in fat32 [using for downloads/torrent]

I'm copy all the stuff i want to keep to my external drive [NTFS]

Is this ok? [copy from fat32 to ntfs] or do i need to change the 2nd also into NTFS?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #256 on: August 16, 2007, 10:16:50 AM »
^ No need to change (unless you want to download files >2GB)

Offline arie

• Old Fapper
  • Member+
« Reply #257 on: August 16, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »
Thanks for the info :)

Offline sh15uya

• °(è_é)°
  • Member+
« Reply #258 on: August 16, 2007, 01:14:38 PM »
you mean >4Go ?

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #259 on: August 16, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »
you mean >4Go ?
Ah, correct, I am confused with some SMB limits I think :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463/en-us

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Mass of the Fermenting Dregs - Aoi, Koi, Daidai-iro no Hi