JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dream - Solve

Author Topic: General Japanese Rock Thread  (Read 248567 times)

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
Re: General Japanese Rock Thread
« Reply #700 on: August 05, 2009, 11:40:23 PM »
yeah not a hueg fan, but they were cool. saw them earlier this year live and they put on a fuckawesome show, for sure.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #701 on: August 06, 2009, 03:30:32 AM »
Guess I'm the only one devastated about it... lol

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #702 on: August 06, 2009, 06:05:08 AM »
SO like... SPARTA LOCALS is gonna kick it for good by September...

Oh what the fuck.

I listen to quite a bit of their music. Total surprise to me. This sucks, though I'm glad I got to see them live. They were awesome.

Offline Achuudent

« Reply #703 on: August 09, 2009, 12:16:28 AM »
Kokeshi Doll - Sessho Tainai [2007.04.18]

01 Junjo
02 Sessho Tainai
03 Aoi Mama
04 %
05 Zasso Ni Shosu
06 Shako Jack Knife
07 Ameni Momonga
08 Error
09 Chuu
10 Amanojaku

DL!

Offline runtboy

« Reply #704 on: August 30, 2009, 06:02:10 PM »
upped this for someone else, might as well post it here..
its an old dvd with mukai, and the rest of zazen boys... doing stuff. with 6 performances from the Yaon live.
has lots of talking... but its not subbed or anything...

part1 http://www.twitter.com/?d=OJ3151Y9
part2 http://www.twitter.com/?d=WESX3HQA

mkv format, use 7zip to extract
 ;)

thank you very much for Zazen Boys :]

Offline Jet Engine King Lasers

• Master of sandwich.
  • Member+
« Reply #705 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:40 AM »
Hella late on this one, but I'd hero worship anyone who uploads the album Shikakui Vision by Sloth Love Chunks. I'm a huge Number Girl fan, and I enjoy the bands that spawned after their demise. Heard good things about this one, but I've never actually heard any songs.

Might as well ask for these while I'm at it:

Live at Yaon - Zazen Boys
Omoide in my Head 3 - Number Girl (I've been asking for that for years...)

Oh mighty uploaders, grant me these three wishes!  :bow:
It's like playing a comedic character specifically designed for myself.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #706 on: September 07, 2009, 08:43:48 AM »
Shikakui Vision by Sloth Love Chunks.

http://www.twitter.com/?d=NMEIVQ8L

I'm a huge Number Girl fan,
:wub: finally my kind of people!
huge number girl / mukai fan here as well (probably one of the biggest around here.. lol) and welcome to the forums btw. ;)

Live at Yaon - Zazen Boys
http://www.twitter.com/?d=UZ0OLO3Y

Omoide in my Head 3 - Number Girl (I've been asking for that for years...)
good luck with that, nobody is patient enough to upload 3 DVD's worth of content.... if you're really in the need for it, do what i did, bought it online.

i can provide you with sawayaka no ensou dvdrip though, or links to the self-titled (eizoshou) dvd (which is basically a compressed OIMH3), also, recently there's the live@factory in jpopsuki

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

• Master of sandwich.
  • Member+
« Reply #707 on: September 07, 2009, 11:21:12 AM »
 :inlove: Damn, thanks bro. I'm going to guess that you're Ronin from the Distortional Addict forums. I should make an account there too. I lurk too much.

Anyways, thanks again. You're right about Omoide in my Head 3, I should finally just man up and buy it. I'll take those links to the self-titled DVD though.  :nervous

I want to use one of those Mukai chibis from the DA forums...

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #708 on: September 10, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »
Would anybody happen to have the Sloth Love Chunks single?  I'd like to hear the b-side.

While there are a host of things about té's sound one could scoff at, it is the blunt tastelessness that pervades their sound that is most off-putting. An insistent fusion of instrumental modern rock, Tortoise and Satriani, Japan's té could hardly be described as "high brow" or "art music," save for the mammoth pretentiousness of their ridiculous song titles. Although each of these niche influences can stake a fair claim to artistic integrity, it is apparent from the get-go that té is none too concerned with being daring or difficult; té's predominant interest is in rocking.

This relentless pursuit, however, produces only fleeting moments of success. In certain modes, té incorporates math-rock clichés, be they stuttering, chunky riffs or slightly odd time signatures. In other guises, té is Tortoise-lite, albeit distinguished by a definite amateurishness in their token jazz phrasing. It is as if té encountered Tortoise by way of Explosions in the Sky by way of And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, absorbing the jazz-bo feel of those Chicago luminaries as mere affectation. Indeed, although the surface feel of té is something of a mixture of the aforementioned bands' sounds with Don Cabellero's ambitions, the execution feels hardly livelier than a teenager sitting down his father for a feeble run through the Guitar Grimoire.

té has too much experience to be caught in these games. Surely at this point the band should be showing a greater mastery of concept and execution, as well as a restlessness to form a distinct identity. Sadly, as time passes, early buzz can devolve into an ugly sense of fruitlessness. Here, as with a child that never learns Spanish beyond counting, or a basketball player obsessed with only dunking, té took instrumental competence and clung to it, but to ever diminishing returns. Nothing on these tracks indicates an evolved awareness of composition. Each track clings helplessly to a statement of theme, a slight variation, and subsequent repetitions ad naseum of both. There is no understanding of the drums' role here, as the snare drum is pounded incessantly, and placed too high in the mix. Indeed, it is telling how crucial the band feels it is for their rhythm section, all time keeping on snare and manic baselines, to be explicit. For music attempting to rock, that is fine; for music attempting more, it betrays a lack of confidence.

All is not lost, however. té, as with most bands, would do well to place equal importance on their jamming and the refinement of the essence of their pieces. Such pounding on the snare, such ceaseless bass noodling, only detracts from what is essential here. They obscure the strong points of te's compositions: the melodies. Sure, there is not yet a confident development of these melodies, but while the rhythm wants to go fast, the twin guitar attack, characterized by ringing overtones and picking patterns paired with driving, macro melodies, wants to go slow. In fact, was this to be only about the guitars, it would be a greatly improved record. The themes, when they get to them, are interesting, and it is easy to tell why the band fell prey to the urge to repeat them. té would be much better off nurturing these melodies, perhaps not as an ambient band, because that is not who they are, but instead through builds, patience, and by showing the confidence in being a band where everybody doesn't have to play at the same time.

Paul Banks
September 9, 2009

http://www.junkmedia.org/index.php?i=2518

What you guys think about that?  After spending quite a bit of time listening to té I think I'd have to agree on most of his main points.  Always been a frustrating band to me, sometimes really great, often really boring.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #709 on: September 10, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »
Would anybody happen to have the Sloth Love Chunks single?  I'd like to hear the b-side.

Sloth Love Chunks - Loveless Ideals (2005.12.14) (single)

01. Loveless ideals
02. ナッシュビル
03. 四角いVISION

Blah blah blah
Yapety yapety yap.   :yawn:

Well, I never thought té evolved the right way... Their later records aren't doing much for me.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:53:43 PM by Stryfe »

• Master of sandwich.
  • Member+
« Reply #710 on: September 11, 2009, 12:42:45 AM »
Sloth Love Chunks - Loveless Ideals (2005.12.14) (single)

What the hell? Can't DL. :sweatdrop: Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but is there some reason why I can't download? 'Cause I'd love to hear this B-side too.

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #711 on: September 11, 2009, 01:56:36 AM »
Thanks Stryfer, I knew you'd have it.

Jet, that section of the forum is closed until you have a certain number of posts.

• Master of sandwich.
  • Member+
« Reply #712 on: September 11, 2009, 02:17:55 AM »
Hmmm... Any idea how many posts? This seems like it's just encouraging me to spam posts.  :angry: Whatever.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #713 on: September 12, 2009, 12:32:54 AM »
:lol:

It's just 50 posts. But since you tried at least, check your messages.

Offline hibachifinal

• リトル・プリンセス
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super Fab Imouto II Turbo
« Reply #714 on: September 12, 2009, 02:20:31 AM »
the b-side is just another version of "what did we say to the recorder"... which was on the demo or somethng

@iacus - lol, to me te' is "dudes playing random shit".. they have 2-3 songs on each album which are really good, but then the rest sorta daze of into self-wankery and just, monotonic boredom. and yes, what's up with the song tities
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 02:24:56 AM by roninbuddha »

シャイニーくももかがやくよKY PP FCpixiv@hibachifinal

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #715 on: September 12, 2009, 02:29:45 AM »
You mean that What did we... was a demo version of Nashville, right? :P

Along with the original version of Shikakui Vision, but... yeah. Nashville is probably their weakest song anyway.
Now I miss them again. Dammit.  :tama-mad:

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #716 on: September 12, 2009, 02:54:41 AM »
Yeah, I didn't really like the b-sides that much.  But it did make me take out the album again.

The first half is really great, the second half slightly less so.  Forgot what a great voice the singer has.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #717 on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:34 AM »
About that te' thing.

I partly agree with the article. I think I would have agreed more with the article when their second album was released. But the more I listened to them, there's just something I like about them more than most post-rock bands. It's just instrumental rock songs with awesome melodies to me. And they seem awesome as hell live. I really like their latest album, though there were a couple fillers, and hope for more in the future. I hope hiro makes a full recovery and can get back on the road with them. I had no idea he was sick until a few days ago when I was wondering what happened to them.

BTW can someone share their first album and singles? I forgot to bring them with me, and subsequently deleted them when I formatted my hdd back home...

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #718 on: September 15, 2009, 10:16:51 AM »
^ Check your messages.

• Master of sandwich.
  • Member+
« Reply #719 on: September 16, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
Am I the only one who didn't enjoy Zazen Boys IV? People said that it was a "return to form," but I only liked Asobi, Sabaku, and Honnoji.
And I didn't like them that much.

If they keep going down that path, I don't think I can listen to them anymore.  :cry:

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Dream - Solve