JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Around the World `Reprise`

Author Topic: The Bioshock Thread  (Read 20663 times)

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
Re: The Bioshock Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2013, 07:22:04 AM »
^ It's great to give your experiences! But don't let reviews get to ya, they are just one persons personal experience good or bad and of course that varies from person to person.

Sounds like that issue might be the thing where the order of the time/date of the last few auto saves gets screwed up? I think there was a procedure to fix it, maybe disconnecting then re-connecting to Live, not sure though (it happened to me in Fable 2 and it was annoying). It saves right after boss fights and encounters but it may have reverted to the previous one because of a certain series of events. From what I have heard the checkpoints can be far apart in a few parts from, never really noticed it myself but I also played a good chunk of the game all at once. I suppose it could be a minor annoyance but I can also see why they did auto saves because manual saves would make even 1999 mode super easy. :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2013, 08:41:23 PM »
So I beat the game and yes, no doubt about it, it ends brilliantly. It's revelatory, shocking and thought provoking, I thought it was great. People talk about crying during it but I never felt that way, it was more like "Oh! Oh shit! Wowww!". I guess I just wasn't into the characters so much that I didn't really feel anything towards them, more that the conclusion to the story was done really well. I guess it's a testament to the story that I'm still reading up about it to find other people's theories or debating the game, or even just pointing out the nods and hidden references dug into the game that you will only see on a repeat playthrough that seem so obvious now.

My favourite was Booker literally having a book on Quantum Physics being hit on his head. I do like the fact that the concerns before the game was released was on how similar Infinite might be to Bioshock 1 and then realise that it was intentional all along and not just a rehash. That they found a way to address that the Bioshock games will always have these themes like Zelda (a hero in green, Princess Zelda, the Triforce etc) and have that be part of the story was really nicely done.

I have some issues with the story, e.g. the sudden change from DeWitt to racist, religious fanatic Comstock after a baptism and issues with the game as a whole which I've already talked about that made it far from perfect. But it is still a good game and surely one of the best this year.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:59:20 PM by Tuffty »

Offline RikoLiFan

• Member+
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2013, 10:40:52 AM »
People talk about crying during it but I never felt that way, it was more like "Oh! Oh shit! Wowww!". I guess I just wasn't into the characters so much that I didn't really feel anything towards them,
Guess you're not one of those who'll need this then :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2013, 08:46:33 PM »
Oh wow! I just heard the craziest Easter Egg ever. It might be a crazy coincidence but you know what, it sounds like it's not and I'm willing to believe it.

So you know how Songbird gets taken to Rapture and dies there? If you go and play Bioshock 1, there's a point in the game where you meet a guy playing the piano and it seems like you can hear Songbird's death cry in the background. All could be a coincidence you might say, until you look closer and see the pianist is playing a song whilst wearing a bird mask. Fucking crazy.

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2013, 01:34:48 AM »
e.g. the sudden change from DeWitt to racist, religious fanatic Comstock after a baptism

With the Multiverse theory there is a different dimension for every moment that passes. There could be an infinite amount of variations, from a Booker that punts babies and shoots everyone he sees to a Booker that kisses everyone and starts a foundation to help the needy to anything in between. There were something like 120 variations of the Booker that tried to save Elizabeth before the player Booker was the first to be successful. Plus Booker was a pretty terrible person all around even before the Baptism. Murdering, racist all in the name of denying his own heritage.

Also I think it was Fink that was responsible for a lot of the racism you see in Columbia.

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »
Oh look, a Bioshock thread, buried on page 2. Just cross-posting from the post-whoring...

--

Finished Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea episode 2 last night and it was a really cool and appropriate ending to Infinite. Without spoiling anything, it was a vast improvement on episode 1, it was longer and had some completely different gameplay mechanics. It also provided some new answers and closure to both Infinite and the original Bioshock.

Sadly it was Irrational's swansong as well... With SS2, Bioshock and Infinite, they've made three of my all-time favorite games, probably more than anyone else on that list should I make a ranking.

Oh well, who knows what the future holds. Though my near future holds some Bioshock 1 and 2 replay sessions, I think. :P

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bennie K - Around the World `Reprise`