JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Natsumen - Cicada Sing The Galaxy

Author Topic: University of Calif. OKs 32 percent tuition hike  (Read 1066 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
University of Calif. OKs 32 percent tuition hike
« on: November 20, 2009, 12:48:51 AM »
LOS ANGELES - As hundreds of students demonstrated outside, University of California leaders on Thursday voted to approve a 32 percent hike in undergraduate fees, arguing the increase is crucial because of the state’s budget crisis.

Some of those UC regents were later trapped inside a UCLA building as protesters blocked the exits.

UCLA spokesman Phil Hampton said chains of demonstrators have linked arms to block the exits. One person inside the building says the regents have been held there for two hours. It is unclear how many remain inside.
Hampton said he could not confirm any injuries, although television footage shows one person was treated after being sprayed by an unknown substance.

The UC Board of Regents approved a two-phase increase that will boost the average undergraduate fee $2,500 by next fall. That would bring the average annual cost to about $10,300 — a threefold increase in a decade.

After a series of deep cuts in state aid, and with state government facing a nearly $21 billion budget gap over the next year and a half, regents said there was no option to higher fees.

Outside the meeting hall, hundreds of demonstrators chanted, beat drums and hoisted signs opposing the fee increase while UC campus police in face shields and California Highway Patrol officers with beanbag-shooting guns stood watch.

One person was arrested. She was cited for obstructing an officer and released, said Hampton.

There were 14 arrests on Wednesday.

Building taken over
Other protesters on Thursday took over an ethnic studies classroom building at the other end of campus, chaining the doors shut and forcing cancellation of classes. However, they were peaceful and were allowed to remain, Hampton said.
Many students from other campuses flocked to UCLA to join the protests, staying overnight in a campus tent city.

Laura Zavala, 20, a third-year UCLA student, said she may have to get a second job to afford the increase.

“My family can’t support me. I have to pay myself,” she said. “It’s not fair to students, when they are already pinched.”

Ayanna Moody, a second-year prelaw student, said she might have to return to community college next year.

“I worked so hard to be at one of the most prestigious universities. To have to go back, it’s very depressing,” she said.

“I think it’s outrageous,” Moody said of the fee increase. “They’ve already cut out a lot of our majors and programs. I’d rather they cut some of their (administrator) salaries.”
Demonstrations also were held at other UC campuses.

Another hike next year?
UC President Mark Yudof said Wednesday he couldn’t rule out raising student fees again if the state is unable to meet his request for an additional $913 million next year for the 10-campus system.

“I can’t make any ... promises,” he said.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
Re: University of Calif. OKs 32 percent tuition hike
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 12:52:51 AM »
Ouch. Student debt is pretty crippling all over, that's going to make it even worse.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: University of Calif. OKs 32 percent tuition hike
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 02:24:23 AM »
Wow 32% increase

we had about 100 for a five year period lol
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Natsumen - Cicada Sing The Galaxy