JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: MAX - Magic

Author Topic: The Super Mario Thread  (Read 30039 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
The Super Mario Thread
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:41:24 AM »

Mario (マリオ?) is a fictional character in his eponymous video game series, created by video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto. Serving as Nintendo's mascot and the main protagonist of the series, Mario has appeared in over 200 video games since his creation. Though originally only appearing in platform games, starting with Donkey Kong, Mario currently appears in many video game genres, such as racing, puzzle, role-playing, fighting and sports games, and others. Mario is depicted as a short, pudgy, Italian-American plumber who lives in the Mushroom Kingdom. He repeatedly stops the plans of Bowser to kidnap Princess Peach and subjugate the Mushroom Kingdom.

He also has other enemies and rivals, including Donkey Kong and Wario. Since 1995, Mario has been voiced by Charles Martinet. As Nintendo's mascot, Mario is one of the most famous characters in video game history, and his image is commonly associated with video games. Mario games, as a whole, have sold more than 201 million units, making the Mario series the best-selling video game series of all time. Outside platform games, he has appeared in video games of other genres, including the Mario Kart racing series, sports games, such as the Mario Tennis and Mario Golf series, and role-playing games. Outside the original games, television shows, film and comics, he spawned a line of licensed merchandise.

The most legendary video game character of all time totally deserves a thread! So what's your favorite Mario game?

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
Re: The Super Mario Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:50:11 AM »
Super Mario 3 and Mario 64.

Nothing will ever beat those. Ever. (...IMO, of course).

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 08:01:03 AM »
I agree, I love SM3.  I think Super Mario World (SNES) is this shit, too.  I remember playing that on Christmas day on the new SNES.

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »
werd up. SM3, M64 are epic. but.... MARIO RPG MOTHAFUCKAS!!! one of my favorite games OF ALL TIME

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 08:08:06 PM »

The New Super Mario Bros and Mario & Luigi - Partners In Time on DS are fucking sweet.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:14:02 PM »
My Top 3 Mario Games:
1. Super Mario World
2. The New Super Mario Bros
3. Super Mario Bros. 3

For some reason I never got into 3D Mario games :doh:

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »

The New Super Mario Bros and Mario & Luigi - Partners In Time on DS are fucking sweet.

My god, is that official?

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 10:13:14 PM »

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 10:21:32 PM »

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »
^ This is awesome :lol:
I laughed very hard! He was swearing without an end! XDDD

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline meowchi

• still listening to Viyuden
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »
i havent seen that in years, thanks masa! they had that up at ebaums for a while, time to stuff it in my iphone.

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 04:18:31 AM »
LMAO!  I can never get tired of that clip.  HILARIOUS.

"FUCK YOU BLOOPER"

Offline SomethingWild

• ほっといてよ~ うざいんだよ
  • Member+
  • 君の泣き顔は見たくないよ!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 11:23:03 AM »
Super Mario = my youth

Love these games! I never got a SNES so I think I missed out on some great Mario games.

Mario 1 was just amazing at the time. Mario 2 gets a lot of crap because it's a completely different game (remake of doki doki panic).. at leats, the one they released in Europe. "Lost levels" is supposed to be the ACTUAL Mario 2. Anyway, I even enjoyed the Mario 2 that we got. Mario 3 is probably THE best platform game of all time. The music, the gameplay, the outfits.. perfect.

I absolutely hated M64, but I think that's because of the N64. I hate that controller, can't work with it all. After that I sorta gave up on Nintendo and never played any of the newer mario games  :oops:. Actually, I tried Galaxy.. didn't really enjoy it as well, maybe if I spend more time with it.  So yeah, the first 3 are the best for me.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 10:24:42 AM »
who's been playing new Super mario bros. the sales are through the roof!!

fuck yeah, edit your own worlds!

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 05:31:26 PM »
I just beat New Super Mario Brothers Wii Review yesterday, and it's so much fun! Worth every second of it.

I just wrote a review of it, more like a small "what I think of it" I'll share here.

It’s been so long after I completed a Mario game. I played a little of Mario Galaxy, almost completed New Super Mario on the DS among others but since Super Mario World I haven’t had this much fun with a platform.

Long story short, this game is a blast to play. The story of the game is the same as always, Princess Peach gets kidnapped and you go off to rescue her. But no one plays a Mario game for the story, but for the gameplay, and I have to say, it does not disappoint.

Unlike Mario Galaxy, which is also amazing, this one is challenging and specially in the worlds at near the end of the game ask for your attention every second.

Without giving anything away I’d just like to say that the bosses are very creative, as I honestly thought that it would be hard to impress me with creativity in a platformer but specially the last boss, I thought the set up to be incredible, he’s not hard but fun nonetheless.

The thing that makes this game apart from other Mario games is the multiplayer. It’s hard not to compare it with Little Big Planet, as in both you can play with up to four people on the same screen, the sad thing is that in New Super Mario Brothers Wii or NSMBW for short there’s no online, especially when your friends are not helping at all and make you die more often than you’d want to but of course, if you don’t take it too seriously you’ll be laughing a lot too.

Bottom line, this game is for everyone. No wonder this game is selling millions, it can please hardcore and casual players alike. Even if you don’t have a Wii, you can have so much fun with it in a friend’s house.
http://finalfrenzy.hostse.com/?p=89

Something I didn't write is that it could have been a little longer but if you collect all the special coins from that world you unlock a stage in the star world, reminds me of the bonus coins in Donkey Kong 2 and 3, which is good because gives you incentive to go back to play more of the game!

Offline Aioros

• 「 ebiru powered+ 」
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • A CAT IS FINE TOO...
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2010, 03:45:20 AM »

WAR AKARI!!! Infernal Ninjutsu, Hidden Lore...Freedom of Opposites Technique!!! Rest in peace Kyle,Jab,Mom,Tita, ChrNo...

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2010, 04:11:20 AM »
Poor Yoshi! ;_; I feel with him...
Anyway, great pic! XDDD

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline mini*wheat

• @Shell_Maree
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Mini<3sRina
    • shell_maree
    • shell_maree
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 06:07:37 AM »
I'm replaying Super Mario World? I totally do that stuff to poor Yoshi all the time (on accident, obviously).

One time I went to get on him? Punted him off of a tree. :(

:::Twitter
::Rest in Peace, Jabs. You'll be forever missed. <3::

Offline dunderkarlsson

• ecchi
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2010, 02:07:19 PM »
I agree with everyone saying Super Mario World, that was an awesome game.

While on the topic of Super Mario, what exactly are the benefits of doing Galaxy twice? I was pretty frustrated after I went all the way with Luigi and there was no cool superstage, only that lame fireworks parade.

Offline Slack

• Professor of Konkonology
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • Slackius
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 04:31:55 PM »
"Benefits"?  Not sure I remember correctly, but wasn't there some alternate ending?

If nothing else, the sense of accomplishment that you beat the game in its entirety would be the reward.  It's old-school like that, when playing the game was its own reward.
( ・e・) :heart: marimari  ● 川o・-・) :heart: Jabronisaur :heart: (・o_・`川 ● ノノl∂_∂'ル :heart: ChrNo ● Never Forget.

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: MAX - Magic