JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - heart

Author Topic: JPHiP DECADE LIST: Entertainment  (Read 8376 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
JPHiP DECADE LIST: Entertainment
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:29:31 AM »
WHAT THE FUCK! where does the time go? It's the end of the decade, let's look back at 2000-2009 in...

For example:

Song
Album
Musical Act (Singer, Group)
Live Act / Concert
Television Series/Appearance/Moment
Commercial
Scandal

As with the spirit of The Rankings Threads, suggest your own Top Decade list. There's no limit to this.

SO GET YOUR DECADE LIST ON!!

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: JPHiP DECADE LIST: Entertainment
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »
I was going to make an actors of the decade list, but it turns out that I still don't watch enough movies and can't possibly make a long list when I've only seen like one movie from one great actor etc.

But there are 4 that I will mention, lol:

1. Tony Leung Chiu Wai (The Red Cliffs, Lust Caution, 2046, Infernal Affairs, Hero, Chinese Odyssey 2002...)
2. Leonardo DiCaprio (even if I haven't seen many of his recent movies, he's been in many works that interest me and I will watch them one day, lol. I think he's become a name that's a promise of quality)
3. Viggo Mortensen (LOTR, Hidalgo [it only has 6.6 ranking on imdb, but I really liked it lol], A History of Violence, Eastern Promises, and I can't wait to see The Road)

And then Daniel Day-Lewis, but he creeps me out and that's why I'll just mention him and not rank him. lol I know that everyone loves his talent, but I don't think one has to be a method actor to be a great actor. There are others who are just as great without being assholes to other crew members. sry but it's true
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »
My best TV shows of the decade, with explanations! (For the record, there are still some shows I haven't finished watching that I think would make this list otherwise, like Six Feet Under.)

1. The Wire (2002-2008)
When I first started watching the show I probably thought it was kinda boring and slowpaced and I had trouble understanding the slang in it. But I'm sooo glad I stuck with it because once I realized how brilliant it is, I couldn't think of anything better. The Wire is just so realistic, shows many different sides of a society, and all of the many characters are strangely connected to each other even if many of them never meet. The casting is great; instead of going for famous actors they chose people, some off the street, who fit the roles perfectly. I've still got some episodes of the last season to watch, but I know they will be great just like the ones before.

2. Oz (1997-2003)
Ok ok some people say that Oz's finer moments were in the 90s, but I don't care, I liked this series as a whole. Oz is about a male prison where shit happens. I don't know why it's so entertaining to watch violent sick fucks play with each other, but it is. In Oz anybody can die at any time. I guess Oz showed a lot of things that I'd never seen on tv before (...) and in general was something completely unique. I was thoroughly entertained hohoho

3. Lost (2004-present)
Lost somehow has changed the way that I view television. There were shows earlier that made me not want to miss an episode, but not because it was essential to see them. Lost was the first show for me where you absolutely couldn't miss an episode or you would have no idea what was going on, or at least wouldn't have as much fun not knowing all the details. (Obviously I started watching The Wire later than Lost, lol) It's a show that keeps raising questions, and once in a while answers some of them. It had some low points, mostly in S2 and S3 (which is when most of those who stopped watching gave up), but once the creators got an end date for the show the writing obviously picked up, and S4 and S5 were great. Only final season is left now. The show isn't perfect, but I think if there had been no reason to do filler episodes between S1 and S4, it would be near perfect.

4. Buffy The Vampireslayer (1997- 2003)
Again a show where arguably the best moments were in the 90s, but whatever. I want to give props to Buffy because it's probably the first show that I've watched every episode of and because it's funny, smart, and has girlpower. lol The show had some of the funniest episodes of tv that I've seen, some of the saddest, and some of the most creative/random XD It's definitely influenced me a lot and I really want to watch it all again one day.

5. Dexter (2006-present)
Maybe I shouldn't put Dexter here because 1) I've only seen two seasons of it so far and 2) it's quite new. But the thing about Dexter is that, at least in my experience, it doesn't have any bad episodes. It's pure quality. The premise of the show (an emotionally cold but still strangely loveable serial killer working for the cops) just got me instantly, and even after the main character has changed (now actually cares about the ones he's with), the same interest and fascination with him and his story is still there. It's just a strange but totally awesome omg show.

6. Bad Girls (UK 1999-2006)
Bad Girls is one of the shows that got obviously worse as time went by, but the moments that were good were very very good. This was a series about a women's prison in UK with realistic characters and fucked up storylines - kind of like Oz but with less butt rape. Dayum, I remember I used to be so excited at the beginning of each episode. I loved this show sooo much. It was also bizarre how one moment you could hate one character, then love her the next. I hear that HBO & Alan Ball have been planning on making a US version, and from those makers I would gladly accept it. But there seem to be no recent news, oh well :/

7. Big Brother UK (2000-present)
REALITY SHOW OMG. Well, because at its best Big Brother UK could be absolutely wonderful. The first and the best season of it that I've seen was the third one. The housemates were so real, entertaining and likeable. BBUK's strength has also been the creativity (&budget) of the staff in planning tasks that result in hilarious moments. Too bad in more recent years the casting hasn't been as good, or the show has been otherwise lacking... But at its prime, BBUK was very entertaining and gave us memorable characters (in a good way as well as bad).

8. Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)
OK this show lasted for only one season, but it was SO GOOD. Omg. Had both hilarious and heart-breaking moments. WATCH IT

9. Survivor (2000-present)
OH LAWD ANOTHER REALITY SHOW. Well, Survivor was like the father of all reality shows. I haven't watched the most recent seasons too much because I don't like the favourites that the show has recently had (like Russell? Ew, couldn't stand that for more than 2 eps). But at it's best, Survivor creates real suspense when you're not sure whose game plan is going to work out, provides funny moments and entertaining characters (who are real people omg), etc. Even if the show has been on for so long it still has surprising moments that make me go OMFGNOWAY, and that's something.

10. CSI (2000-present)
Actually I stopped watching CSI a long time ago, but I have to give it props because I did watch it for a long time and it also was something new in television when it started. The fact that the focus was on crime scene investigators (not cops) and bodies were shown not only from the outside, but inside as well was new... And CSI was probably the first of those crime shows that I started watching where each episode has a different crime. (Afterwards came Without A Trace and Criminal Minds)

11. Popular (1999-2001)
Lol this was just such a fun, part ridiculous teen high school show. I'm listing it for the lols.

12. Fringe (2008-present)
Ah this show is so so new but it has so much potential. The first season was ok-good, but the 2nd season has been great and I can't wait to see more. It's a nice mix of mystery (like in Lost) and a crime show where each ep is about a different case (even if all of them are connected to the same big mystery). And the main characters are very likeable :3

13. Skins (2007-present)
A fucked up British show about teens, but also one of the more realistic shows about teens. It's definitely not one of the greatest shows ever, but it's somehow quite different from any other show about teens that I've seen and deserves props for that.

OK I guess I should stop this list here D:
This makes me remember that I've lost the list I had of tv shows that I should watch, it had stuff like Six Feet Under and Veronica Mars and grrrr now I'll never remember. lol

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 07:07:43 PM »
My top series of the decade, off the top of my head:

01. The Wire
02. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
03. The Office (UK version)
04. Breaking Bad
05. Mad Men
06. Arrested Development
07. Firefly
08. Oz
09. Californication
10. Deadwood
--. Battlestar Galactica

Probably a whole bunch of shows I haven't watched that could make that list...

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »
06. Arrested Development
07. Firefly
10. Deadwood
--. Battlestar Galactica

^ Yay thx!! Those were on my list of shows to watch!! :lol:

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 12:23:56 AM »
I think most of what I remember is mostly recent stuff.

TV
- Dirty Jobs
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- Chocolate News
- 30Rock
- Reno 911
- Chappelle's Show

Movies
- No Country for Old Men
- Red Cliff
- Hot Fuzz
- Harold & Kumar go to White Castle
- Bamboozled

People
- Josh Brolin
- Chris Rock
- Dave Chappelle
- Tina Fey
- Stephen Chow
- Terry Crews

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
Best celeb interviewers with their own shows, of the decade lol
Note that I pretty much only watch stuff on Youtube cuz most of this stuff isn't aired here. So there are probably a lot of shows that I haven't even seen.

1. Craig Ferguson
He's not only hilarious himself, but he's really good at making the guests relax and babble and play along with jokes. I wish all my fav celebrities went to his show. Also pretty much every time he has someone British/Scottish as a guest the interview is just epic. My fav Craig guests: Kristen Bell, Dominic Monaghan, James McAvoy

2. Conan O'Brien
He was really my first introduction to these types of fun celeb interviews, as he was the first late night host whose show started being aired in Finland. Conan's very funny but after seeing Craig's interviews, even Conan's seem a bit awkward. Still, he's pretty good yahe ok.

3. Oprah lol.
I'm really only listing her here because when people go on Oprah, it usually means they have something special to talk about that they would only reveal on Oprah. :lol: So that's why her. Celebs seem to trust Oprah to be graceful and respectful whatever they're going to say, and that makes 'em open up like a flower in spring uh huh.

4. Chelsea Handler
I'd probably rank her higher if I'd seen more interviews with her, but I've only seen like 3 or 4. She is just fearless and rapid as heck. She's the ONLY interviewer I've seen to be able to keep up with Russell Brand, and that's really something cuz Russell babbling is like a Duracell bunny on crack (not to make fun of his drug past uh oh). She seems quite awesome :3

5. Ellen DeGeneres
A lot of people seem to love her, but I only really know her from her interviews, in which she isn't always very smooth. But she does seem likeable and a lot of cool people go to her show (and seem genuinely happy to be there), so what the heck.

As for people like Jimmy Kimmel and Letterman, thinking back none of their interviews really stands out to me, so I won't include them :D

EDIT:
Hey this is cool, found a vid of Craig interviewing Chelsea

« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 11:08:36 AM by shirenu »

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 10:35:37 AM »
western only.

Actors

1. Dave Chappelle
2. Will Smith
3. Heath Ledger
4. Jim Carrey
5. Samuel L. Jackson
6. George Clooney
7. Ewan Macgregor
8. Denzel Washington
9. Sylvester Stallone
10. Bruce Willis

Actresses

1. Uma Thurman
2. Halle Berry
3. Natalie Portman
4. Tina Fey
5. Cate Blanchett
6. Eva Mendes
7. Scarlett Johansson
8. Penelope Cruz
9. Jessica Alba
10. Keira Knightley

Movies

1. Kill Bill Vol. 1
2. Kill Bill Vol. 2
3. Dark Knight
4. wall-e
5. American Gangster
6. Inglorious Basterds
7. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
8. The Hangover
9. The Comebacks
10. Sin City

TV Series/Cartoons/Shows *

1. Chappelle's Show

2. Futurama
3. The Boondocks
4. Arrested Development
5. Venture Brothers
6. Madventures
7. 30 Rock
8. The Office
9. Aqua Teen Hunger Force
10. Shaq vs

* Yeah, I don't watch enough TV shows lol. Too much sports.

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Do As Infinity - heart