JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Olivia - Under Your Waves

Author Topic: R.I.P. James Avery (aka "Uncle Phil" from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air)  (Read 5156 times)

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
Aw man. :(

James Avery, star of 'The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air,' dies at 68
By Lisa Respers France, CNN
updated 3:35 PM EST, Wed January 1, 2014

(CNN) -- Actor James Avery, who played the beloved Uncle Phil on the hit 1990s sitcom "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," died Tuesday, his publicist confirmed. He was 68.

The cause of death was complications from open-heart surgery, said his manager, Toni Benson.

His "Fresh Prince" co-star Alfonso Ribeiro tweeted news of Avery's passing.
I'm deeply saddened to say that James Avery has passed away," Riberio tweeted. "He was a second father to me. I will miss him greatly.
A classically trained actor and poet, Avery grew up in Atlantic City, New Jersey, where he was raised by a single mother. He served in the Navy during the Vietnam War and first appeared onscreen as a dancer in an uncredited role in the 1980 film "The Blues Brothers."

According to IMDb, after he served in the military, Avery moved to San Diego, California, where he began writing TV scripts and poetry for PBS. Before joining the military, he once said, he had dreams of being like Richard Wright and living in Paris. But life took a different turn.

"I knew I loved the arts," Avery said in an interview for the show "Unscripted." "I knew I wanted to be a writer, but the theater was something I had been involved in before."

Avery appeared in multiple TV shows and movies, including "CSI," "That '70s Show," "The Closer" and several appearances as a judge on "L.A. Law."

Indeed, with his deep, mellifluous voice, he frequently played judges, professors and doctors -- Uncle Phil began as a lawyer and eventually became a judge -- and was much in demand as a voice actor. His voice roles included Shredder in the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" series and James "Rhodey" Rhodes in the 1990s animated series version of "Iron Man."

He most recently appeared in Zach Braff's new film, "Wish I Was Here," which will premiere at the Sundance Film Festival later this month.

But his most famous role was as Phillip Banks, the stern but loving uncle to Will Smith's character on "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air." The show, co-executive produced by Quincy Jones and created by Andy Borowitz and Susan Borowitz, cast Smith -- then best known as a rapper -- as a Philadelphia teenager who is sent to live with his wealthy Los Angeles relatives. As Banks, a former civil-rights activist and Harvard Law-trained attorney, Avery provided a role model for Smith's sometimes wild character.

Avery, too, leveled with youthful audiences, noting in "Unscripted" that he left home at 18 because "I had too good a time."

In a 2007 interview with the New York Film Academy, he was forthright about his abilities.

"You can either be a movie star or an actor. I'm an actor," he said. "(But) I've done pretty good."

He is survived by his wife of 26 years, Barbara Avery, his mother, Florence Avery of Atlantic City, and a stepson, Kevin Waters.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/01/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/james-avery-obit/

Rest in Peace Mr. Avery. Rest in Peace "Uncle Phil".
:prayers: :prayers: :prayers:

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
Re: R.I.P. James Avery (aka "Uncle Phil" from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:51:36 AM »
Uncle Phil R.I.P.
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline shadodt

• Raffle
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
i grew up watching The fresh prince ):
RIP Uncle phil
born in the wrong continent

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 07:10:21 PM »
 :cry:

You will be missed Mr. Avery.  :prayers:

Offline Chadjones2013

• ecchi
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »
RIP Uncle Phil.  He was also the voice of Shredder on the Ninja Turtles cartoon.

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Olivia - Under Your Waves