JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Gamble Funk

Author Topic: [discuss] You still watch cartoons?  (Read 45466 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[discuss] You still watch cartoons?
« on: March 15, 2005, 02:23:36 AM »
Who doesn't love cartoons? What's your all time favorites? What do you watch now? Etc.

Lotsa rehashed shit nowadays like "The New Scooby Doo" ... but everyone's got their old time favorites and new ones too.

Me. I still watch classics like Flintstones and Looney Toons. I catch the occasional Spongebob - when I still haven't finished catching up with all the episodes of Family Guy, Futurama, and The Simpsons first. It's on at the same time.

Offline Gimme Dem Junks

• 66% SEXY. 33% HAWT. 1% EVIL!!!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 02:43:44 AM »
I'll watch cartoons if they're on.  Some of the adult swim stuff is good for a laugh once in a while.  But I don't watch it habitually.  

I prefer the Disney Afternoon classics.  Darkwing Duck, DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, stuff like that.  And Jem.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 05:16:50 AM »
I DLed a torrent of all the oldschool Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles episodes back from suprnova last year.  It was 10 freakin' gigs.  Well worth the 4 days it took.

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:37:45 AM »
I like family guy.

We don't get much cartoons around here. But I kinda like the powerpuff girls too~

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 11:12:37 AM »
Everyone loves cartoons.

When I was liitle, like 3-4 years old, I watched those classic Disney's cartoons a lot, ya know those b/w ones (I find them really creepy now). And I watched Dr. Slump & Arale all the time. That's why I'm so fucked up now coz that cartoon was just wack.

Then when  got a bit older; He-Man, Duck Tales, The Smurfs, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, The Flintstones, Super Friends, Carebears, Thundercats (HO!!!), etc.

Now I only watch Dexter's Lab. I never watched Sponge Bob. And I prefer Futurama to The Simpsons.

Offline vicmu

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 09:00:28 PM »
it seems i watch more cartoons in university than i did as a kid...

EVERYONE watches the simpsons, reruns of futurama, family guy, southpark (occasionally), and if you're asian, you watch anime too.

lots of anime.

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:12:24 PM »
Justice League. Its all about Justice League for me and sometimes Teen Titans.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 11:04:14 PM »
Classic TRANSFORMERS!!! Some friends of mine say I'm lame for it, but they are, after all, more than meets the eye.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline delerium

• Ass & Titties
  • Member+
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 01:40:57 AM »
I'm probably showing my age with this one... but does anyone remember Centurians?  

Favorite old-school cartoons:
- Voltron (Lions version only, of course.)
- Robotech / Macross ('nough said!)
- Transformers (The movie was awesome too.)
- G.I. Joe (favorite episode... when Cobra formed the punk band to corrupt the youth, and the Joes countered by forming a hair-metal band.  Also the "viiindow viiiiper" one. )
- M.A.S.K. (Motorcycle that turns into a helicopter? Sign me up.)
- Centurians (+gagiillian points if you had the action figures too)
- Thundercats (If you say you didn't think Cheetara was hot... you're lying.)
- Smurfs (Gargamel was the shit!)

New school faves:
- Simpsons
- Family Guy
- The Venture Brothers
- Sealab 2021
- Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- The Critic (had it's moments)

That's about all I can remember at the moment... shit... I wrote more than I thought.  :roll:

Offline SaMi

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 05:35:22 AM »
I hadn't watched any cartoons for a couple of years, and then I started watching Cartoon Network again about a year ago.

I currently really dig:
Home Movies (probably my fave)
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Sealab 2021
Futurama
Family Guy
Robot Chicken
Hi Hi Puffy Amiyumi (I'm sure I'm not the target audience, but it's nice to hear their music)
Teen Titans
Justice League
O'Grady

And the ones I could live without:
Oblongs
Super Milk Chan (though it is funny when you watch it with company)
Tom Goes to the Mayor (somehow it's almost funny because it isn't funny)
Harvey Birdman

Offline Levin

• Tae Yeon<3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 07:31:23 AM »
The Simpsons, of course.  Futurama when it was still on.  I don't stay up late enough on Fridays to see it on TBS, sadly.  Too tired on Fridays.  I used to watch Yu Yu Hakusho when I had free cable.  Family Guy = dumber Simpsons, but it's alright.

"Our own Asian reporter, Tricia Takanawa..." always kills me and that stuffed-nose voice of her's is amusing.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 10:21:24 AM »
Quote from: tama-chan
Thundercats (HO!!!)

You're right. There are lots of peeps (see delerium above) who watch it...except me!! I never heard of it!

Oddly enough, I don't watch any anime or that dubbed stuff. Maybe GTO. That was about it. My gramps sent me Dr. Slump stickers but that's all I know.

Who watches Inspector Gadget? Fuckin one of my favorites in the morning. Brain and Penny always saving the day and I loved how Dr. Claw's henchmen always got screwed by Gadget's bumbling.

Yeah, Old School Transformers >>>>>> All that Energon, Beast Wars shit. I loved how they always went "Can't move...too weak"

Offline tamatron

• Evil Super Villain
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Arse Gratia Arse
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 10:53:36 AM »
You're right. There are lots of peeps (see delerium above) who watch it...except me!! I never heard of it!

If you weren't an admin, I would ban you now.

And as for Japanese stuff. Manga version is always better than anime. Like GTO? They had to tone down the story for anime. Manga usually has better story, better drawing. that's why I don't watch anime all that much.

Hey, what about Captain Planet?  :lol:

We're the Planeteers. You can be one too! Saving our planet is the thing to do!...

Offline Thrillho

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 06:45:04 PM »
I'm a huge fan of animation, and I'll watch Teen Titans, Powerpuff Girls, and Aqua Teen when they're on; but there isn't anything currently running that I'm really into. Some of my favs are:
-Ren & Stimpy
-Batman: The Animated Series
-Simpsons (up to season 10)
-Robotech
-Invader Zim

I watch alot of Animie too, everything from Cowboy Bebop to His and Her Circumstances.
Everyone\'s entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong it is.

Offline kuno_thunder

• Dance, dance, dance til we run this town!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • ^ Yoonaxfoliation. ^
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 12:24:50 AM »
Quote from: tama-chan
Hey, what about Captain Planet?  :lol:

Fuck, I remember Captain Planet, that blue fag.  I totally remember thinking different things about the kids that had the cool powers that made him up - except for that little South American kid that got shafted and got a ring full of "heart." :evil:   What kind of lame ass power is that shit?  I mean, to control earth, fire, wind, or water would be pretty cool, but to get fuckin' "heart?"  What a rip.  Its like being Aquaman and trying to be a regular hero in the Superfriends.  Unless there's some shit happening underwater, he was fucking useless.

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 12:27:50 AM »

Offline johnbobman

• Member+
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »
I was raised by cartoons. The new cartoons don't compare to the old ones such as Heman, Thundercats and the original TMNT. I miss being a kid and waking up to saturday morning cartoons.

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2005, 11:43:08 PM »
Anyone remember the Smurfs?  Considering the fact that Smurfette was the only chick there, you know she had to be a major HO!

*Oh, don't stop!!! Smurf me, SMURF ME HARD!!!" *  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2005, 04:48:19 AM »

"First of all, Papa Smurf didn't create Smurfette. Gargamel did. She was sent in as Gargamel's evil spy with the intention of destroying the Smurf village, but the overwhelming goodness of the Smurf way of life transformed her. And as for the whole gang-bang scenario, it just couldn't happen. Smurfs are asexual. They don't even have reproductive organs under those little white pants. That's what's so illogical, you know, about being a Smurf. What's the point of living if you don't have a dick?"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2005, 07:08:26 AM »
Quote from: Masashi
Quote from: johnbobman
The new cartoons don't compare to the old ones such as Heman, Thundercats and the original TMNT..

I have to disagree with you on this one. IMO the new He-Man is pretty superior compared to old school He-Man which is really corny nowadays. I like it how cartoons are more mature nowadays in general (not quite as mature as the comics tho) and the storylines are more interesting too.

That's the whole point you flaming pile of shit!! The new ones are like TOO serious. Sure, they insert the typical one liners but man - LIGHTEN UP! The whole point of He-Man bouncing around in his ridiculous girly hairdo was that it was so fuckin funny. The Transformers - HELL, I just finished watching the movie - was corny as hell. The 80's Rock Anthems. Everytime they get the shit kicked out of them, they always go "Can't move...too weak" and then one time Prime goes "Well fuck, at least you can still talk" And man, who can't love the old TMNT? Like the episode when Bebop or Rocksteady were holding Mikey hostage, and Leo was communicating with them on their whereabouts, said Leo "Yeah yeah, I know where you guys are" and Rocksteady goes "He must've seen this episode already!"

It's all about camp. The cheesy humor just makes the old cartoons better.

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Super Butter Dog - Gamble Funk