JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Crystal Kay - Flowers

Author Topic: Assassins Creed  (Read 64889 times)

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
Re: Assassins Creed
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2012, 01:48:35 AM »
I guess I'll have to cheat then, I'm such a gamerscore whore

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #161 on: September 29, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »

So excited.

Offline adventwriter

• Forever a Linlin wota.
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #162 on: October 02, 2012, 05:35:22 PM »
I am through the roof in anticipation about ACIII - pre-ordered that shit (and I never pre-order).

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2012, 07:53:40 PM »
I know that Season Pass is going to be like thirty bucks. Does anybody know how many single player missions might come with it?

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #164 on: October 04, 2012, 08:53:02 PM »
^ Some more details here

You know, Ubisoft have got some balls taking that approach to the story. A 3 part 'What if' story sounds more interesting than anything they've done previously.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #165 on: October 07, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!

The good news is that 'Santa' is going to get me AC3, cause my dad just told me :lol: Bad news? Means I have to wait til Christmas Day for it :banghead:

Offline RionZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2012, 03:44:52 AM »
^I'm also really excited for the PSVita game as well!  I don't remember hearing if AC3 has multiplayer like the two games did.  I had fun with their multiplayer modes, surprisingly.

Courtesy of the best, Miichan!

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2012, 05:02:39 AM »
^^ I love the imagery of the last scene; where the three different life stages of Connor's flashes before our eyes.
I'm hoping there's a black Friday sale for this game. Still can't believe I got the then new Revelations for $32 last year. Stood in the cold for an hour too.  :lol:
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
^I'm also really excited for the PSVita game as well!  I don't remember hearing if AC3 has multiplayer like the two games did.  I had fun with their multiplayer modes, surprisingly.

Definately was surprising. It's something that could have turned out really badly, but it's just not the case. Tons of fun to play and a welcome change from all the FPS. AC3 has multiplayer too I'm glad to say.

Offline RionZ

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #169 on: October 09, 2012, 05:08:30 AM »
^awesome! I like the lobby loading screen with all the characters.  One thing I'm worried about the multiplayer is that the characters you choose seem bland as opposed to the dynamic renaissance era in AC:brotherhood and revelations.  Everyone had their own distinct look and you could customize them.  And domination gameplay type is my least favorite haha

Courtesy of the best, Miichan!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #170 on: October 28, 2012, 03:41:53 PM »
Some footage, supposedly from the retail version, got out and it's causing quite a bit of an uproar around those watching as it reveals some fairly obvious glitches and bugs (doesn't help that the player isn't that great at combat either)

The argument is that a game that took 3 years in development with a team of hundreds working on it is still being released with bugs. But it doesn't appear to be gamebreaking, in fact it seems nothing a day one patch won't fix.

Some hunting gameplay as well.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #171 on: October 30, 2012, 07:57:08 AM »
So it's out this week then! My advice is to go on a complete blackout from looking up anything about it online as there will be spoilers galore. Apparently the launch trailer has plenty of them, but you won't realise they are spoilers until you play the game. Fuck that. For me I'll only read a few reviews, and listen to impressions on the Giant Bombcast. My dad told me that 'Santa' will be getting AC3 for me, I even ordered it for him...to give to me as a present :lol: So I have to wait until Christmas Day to play it and avoid any spoilers at the same time  :panic: :bleed eyes:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #172 on: January 12, 2013, 04:30:57 PM »
On a different subject, I kind of want to go off a little on something that has kind of irritated me a little. It's when narrative goes against gameplay, specifically in cases of origin stories and when gameplay goes against what the narrative has setup. I realised this when playing Assassin's Creed 3, when Connor goes out to find the Assassin mentor so he can be trained in the art of assassination. To me it implies that Connor is there to learn and in time he will be skilled in combat and all that jazz. Except, when you're actually playing the game, the story dictates that you have to fight these guards before the mentor will accept you, and Connor doesn't need any training at all. You are just as experienced if you know the combat mechanics that you can dispatch the guards with all the ease of a master assassin anyway.

It's even worse in AC2. At least there is some justification in that Connor at that age is also an experienced huntsman, with the stamina and physique of someone living in the wilderness. In the beginnning of AC2, Ezio is a playboy who never fought in his life. Now before he even dons the robes you're saying that he can kill guards in sword combat? Same with Jason in Far Cry 3, a spoilt rich kid is now experienced in all kinds of handling firearms and killing guards with ease from the very beginning. This new Devil May Cry is meant to tell Dante's origin story, about the man before his demon skills have fully formed, but you know, still looks like an all powerful unstoppable demon killing machine to me.

See to me, I think there is more worth in playing as someone who isn't all powerful from the get go. In those scenarios I described with AC, I'd rather that the character just get beaten up or wounded, with no chance to defend yourself. Make that be a harsh lesson he learns and be part of his character development. Have the game then progress and so you learn how to block, to counter etc and take fulfillment in seeing your character start as someone who can barely swing a sword, into someone who can kill guards with alarming efficiency. Same with a FPS, I wouldn't mind it if, while playing as someone who the narrative dictates has never used a gun in their life, to make it so the aim wasn't perfect from the beginning. That the hands shake and then gradually get more steady as you progress.

I get the argument as well that you don't want to play as a weak character from the beginning and ultimately these contradictions don't detract much from my overall enjoyment of a game. It's just something that I rarely see developers do right when telling someone's origin story and in making a character's progression become somewhat believable.

I do want to mention that I actually got a better experience by navigating the frontier. So much so that I felt it was a more effective way of Connor's training than what the main narrative served up.  After the Boston massacre you're given an option to fast travel, either directly back to the homestead and continue with the next mission, or back to the frontier. I chose the latter. I thought it would be cool to not only explore some of it, because I hadn't done much before then, but also built this story in my own head, that as part of Connor's training he is asked to make his way back to the homestead by travelling across the frontier on his own. It takes a while too, like maybe 20-30 mins of travel on foot to reach the homestead. But honestly, doing that gave me some greater experiences than following the main storyline progression.

Like I found a synchronisation point that was this massive tree. And I had difficulty climbing up it, I would get so far and then mess up and slide back down the tree or just fall like a stone to the snowy ground below. I eventually made it and found it really satisfying that Connor would take multiple attempts to climb it, thinking that it would increase his knowledge, his physique and test his determination. I learned of the dangers of the frontier while running across the trees as I saw a guard run for his life from a wolf before getting mauled by it. I would hunt for food in the harsh winter setting, get to learn more about how those mechanics work. I saw a camp of redcoats and avoided them by running along the trees above. I saw a smaller group of guards protect a treasure chest in a barn and through planning and entering through the roof, I was able to dispatch them quickly, not shedding much blood.

All of those things were pretty satisfying to me as part of the character development. It wasn't necessary and it just added more game time for me than anything, but I thought it was cool that those things happened to me and I consider it as part of my experience of getting to know Assassin's Creed 3 better and serve as some kind of development for Connor.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #173 on: January 12, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »
^I know about those big ass trees that you have no real idea how to climb to synch at the top of.  I do remember dying lots of time from those falls, since I couldn't find a pile to dive into.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2013, 02:20:55 AM »
Traded that bad boy in for $27

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2013, 12:11:24 AM »
In terms of epic battles that make you feel like a badass, I think I've just had the most satisfying AC combat situation yet. For shits and giggles I picked on a group of redcoats in Boston. I took out one from behind and then two rushed me at once and I did that animation that takes out two at once, like a badass. Killed one guard and then, this is where it gets good, a guard attacked in which I blocked him and threw him so that he hit a wall and stumbled back to fall behind me. At the same time, a guard jumped me and I countered and killed him. With the guard still on the floor behind me, I picked up one of the enemies muskets and slowly turned behind me to point the musket down at the guard and fired at him using the musket as he was getting up. When the gunshot died down, I just dropped the musket to the ground and simply walked away. How badass was that?

I'm liking the game a lot so far, though I don't think Connor has really grabbed me just yet. Still feels like the game is giving me the tutorial at about 16hrs in, but I'm now at a point where I can freely fuck about in the world with all the hunting missions and stuff so it's all good. The convoy system could do with being a little less cumbersome to use, don't really see much point in using it for money when I've collected so much through selling animal pelts and finding treasure chests in the world already. The naval missions are the highlight so far, they practically deserve to be in a game of it's own.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2013, 09:13:34 PM »
Assassins Creed 4 has been announced and guess what? Pirates!!

It'll star Edward Kenway, father of Haytham Kenway, grandfather of Connor. Here's hoping he'll have a better personality than Connor who is sadly proving to be quite forgettable and I haven't beaten the game yet.

The naval missions are easily the highlight of AC3 so it's no wonder they're making a game around it. With pirates no less. Though does it have to be an AC game? At this point I would have been happy to see it as it's own IP. I also wonder, again without completing the game, what a prequel has to bring to the overall story.

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2013, 03:36:51 AM »
I don't know why I have mixed feelings about this. Since I wasn't exactly satisfied with III, I would think a new title would get me interested again, but that isn't the case. I'll have to wait and see. If I do get this, it will definitely be during holiday 2013, when I can get it for half price.

I prefer the Naval battles over Revelation's Tower defenses, but I found the naval battles to be a bit frustrating. I feel a little nervous that those naval missions are going be a big part of the game.

It'll star Edward Kenway, father of Haytham Kenway, grandfather of Connor. Here's hoping he'll have a better personality than Connor who is sadly proving to be quite forgettable and I haven't beaten the game yet.
Yes please. I'm already liking his outfit. He's got that Ezio vibe.

I just can't let Ezio go. :(
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2013, 09:16:18 PM »
A leaked trailer for AC4 has emerged online

Even Ezio wasn't so brash as to kill someone and then steal his girl. That's cold :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #179 on: March 04, 2013, 10:27:57 PM »
Eurogamers preview here. Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Just disappointed that the marketing tagline isn't "Yo ho ho, a pirates life for Wii (U, PC, 360 & PS3)"

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Crystal Kay - Flowers