JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Denise Ho - Bing Sam (Ice Heart)

Author Topic: [CHI] Stephen Chow  (Read 91234 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
[CHI] Stephen Chow
« on: August 10, 2005, 07:06:24 AM »
Any fans of the KING OF COMEDY, Stephen Chow?

Kung Fu Hustle now on DVD: peep Amazon

Filmography:

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/chow_stephen.htm

Man. I've seen all his movies, from his TV shit to now. Dude is an underrated dramatic actor too.

San Miguel CMs - the finest brew in the world :P

one of my favorites...."TRICKY BRAINS"

There are a TONS of Stephen Chow movies I could recommend, comparing them to his recent CGI stuff, they seem real cheesy but that makes them EVEN FUNNIER.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:14:06 AM by Masa »

Offline Ruroshin

• Member+
Stephen Chow - KING OF COMEDY
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 09:42:17 AM »
I thought you were going to talk about his movie King of Comedy (which really should be named King of Actor or something)

I bought the DVD of Kung Fu Hustle at the beginning of the year.  Its just now being released in my country in the cinemas this week.  I might go watch it again just to see SC glory on the big screen.  :)

Offline Kobasew

• Member+
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 06:23:57 PM »
I'm a big fan of his.  Every chance I get, I will make a joke referring to memorable lines from his movies.  Heh, yeah, I'm a dork.  You don't know how many times I recited the lines of "Jeung Bao" from Shaolin Soccer.

As of right now, my favourite movie of his is Hail The Judge.  It may change if any of his future work exceeds the comedy level of that film.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 08:05:07 PM »
I've only seen Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer, and Fight Back to School. I've been meaning to check out a lot more of his stuff. It kinda sucks though because there used to be a shop that sold a shit load of chinese movies a half an hour from my home, but they suddenly closed down a little while ago.

Offline Vapour

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 03:34:50 PM »
Just watched All's Well Ends Well, pretty mad stuff there heh.  And Maggie Cheung goodness  :D

But I didn't find Kung Fu Hustle very funny.  He's done way better stuff in the past.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 09:15:58 PM »
^ I'm kinda iffy on him doing the Special Effects kung fu stuff. His classics was when he was doing like 7 movies a year. So many cheap gags...where to start. Like how about the one with Andy Lau where he cons him to be his long lost brother!??! That was the shit. I gotta seriously dig out soundbites and video clips... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: Ruroshin
I thought you were going to talk about his movie King of Comedy (which really should be named King of Actor or something)

nawww...he's dubbed  that himself :D

You're Korean right?

Offline Ruroshin

• Member+
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 08:57:44 AM »
Quote from: daigong

Quote from: Ruroshin

nawww...he's dubbed  that himself :D

You're Korean right?

Nope.

Went saw Kung Fu Hustle last friday on the big screen (this makes it the 5th time I've seen it  :P )

Offline Vapour

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 09:01:34 PM »
^ I'm kinda iffy on him doing the Special Effects kung fu stuff. His classics was when he was doing like 7 movies a year. So many cheap gags...where to start. Like how about the one with Andy Lau where he cons him to be his long lost brother!??! That was the shit. I gotta seriously dig out soundbites and video clips... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Heh, I've got that film as well.  Wait, it called was called something proper crazy? *quick search* Tricky Brains!

Can't remember much, but dodgy singing, some more singing at McDonalds and his fight at the end heh.
I'll watch it tommorow definately

I've found Andy Lau is the shit as well.  But thats probally for another thread  :)

Offline suki*

• Shweet Bitch
  • Member+
  • mikitty~!! ^o^
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 04:56:47 PM »
I loved watching his stuff! He's spoofed nearly everything possible! My mom would give me dirty looks whenever I did coz she thinks that he's mad, but I still watched. :P I've not watch 'Kung Fu Hustle' yet though. It's off-screens now so if I want to I'll have to get the video...

Offline IcePrincess

• suitechicstyle
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 05:57:30 AM »
Oh, I love Stephen Chow <3

When I went back overseas, they had this channel where they played his movies for like the whole day  :lol:

Offline Zero_

• Member+
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 06:41:10 AM »
Stephen Chow is indeed a funny man. Shaolin Soccer is definetly one of the funniest movies I've ever seen, and Kung Fu hustle, was eh.

Offline Eijiro

• Relax, it's just sex
  • Member+
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2005, 06:59:41 AM »
Stephen Chow is great. I love everything I've seen from him, including Kung Fu Hustle.. which some people I know didn't really like that much. :(

Offline super*shelly

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 08:16:46 PM »
Stephen Chow is great!!!! Yay for being Cantonese XD... I can say something is cool!!! Lol.

One thing I am sad about ... that movie I think it is King of Comedy, we lost it. T______T My brother took it to college somewhere and it's gone forever! I wanted to watch it for some time~ lol. *tear*
strawberryjam blog!project // projecthello // TNLyriX // MM-BBS

Offline IcePrincess

• suitechicstyle
  • Member+
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 12:33:31 PM »
Quote from: super*shelly
Stephen Chow is great!!!! Yay for being Cantonese XD... I can say something is cool!!! Lol.

There are a lot of cool Cantonese stuff! You should be proud of being Cantonese ^_^

(I'm not Cantonese, but I do think every country has their good and bad stuff).

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 09:35:20 AM »

Offline Mamechan

• Osaka Koi no Uta
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2005, 04:58:55 AM »
I just saw Kung Fu Hustle the other day and thought it was hilarious  :D Which of his movies do you guys recommend I get next?

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 09:40:59 AM »
Quote from: Mamechan
I just saw Kung Fu Hustle the other day and thought it was hilarious  :D Which of his movies do you guys recommend I get next?

There are a TONS of Stephen Chow movies I could recommend esp. the old ones, comparing them to his recent CGI stuff, they seem real cheesy but that makes them EVEN FUNNIER. He was making like over a dozen films A YEAR! the scripts were horrible, but it was the inside jokes u had to get...

Still. His physical humor is worth watching if you don't understand Cantonese. Like Tricky Brains keeps coming to mind. Here he plays this con artist who is hired to play a joke on Andy Lau (aka the Canto pop star and Infernal Affairs dude with no facial hair)

See him pretend he's gay with AIDS, reference his old kiddie show, break out into Canto Opera and vaudeville act....one of his best movies!!

And the fuckin best thing about Stephen Chow is that he hires all his buddies so you can see them throughout his movies. Like Man Tat, who hails from waay back in his TV days and is always like his dad and stuff.

and Lee Kin Yan, the blatant cross dresser that appears EVERYWHERE...even in those San Miguel CMs!! :lmao:

http://www.lovehkfilm.com/people/lee_kin_yan.htm

Offline Ruroshin

• Member+
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 09:33:41 AM »
Quote from: Mamechan

I recommend Shaolin Soccer next  :)

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2005, 09:24:23 AM »
Here's him promoting Kung Fu Hustle in Japan and Naoya Ogawa bum rushed the show and threatened him XD

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2005, 04:11:49 PM »
Here's him promoting Kung Fu Hustle in Japan and Naoya Ogawa bum rushed the show and threatened him XD

Is it just me or does his shirt say "I'm Chicken" ?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Denise Ho - Bing Sam (Ice Heart)