JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Koi no Uta

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 304913 times)

Offline nighell

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1540 on: April 27, 2012, 05:59:49 PM »
Interesting question
  I prefer to read in the most uncomfortable conditions. This allows maximum plunge into a book and forget about reality. And of course I can read while eating, read when waiting for someone or something, sometimes reading on the job. Reading fanfics - is a traditional ritual of the night.  8)
  The writer, though in my case this is not the correct definition. I like to write in the evening or at night. This time, when the muse finally wakes up.
Depending on what I want to write, I choose silence or music. I try to find music for every situation, a scene or episode. This is especially help when writing a new reality or character. And I love to go several circles around the room. *walking in circles*
Sorry for my bad English

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #1541 on: April 27, 2012, 06:15:14 PM »
I prefer to read anywhere I have time. XD I can't read with people standing behind me, though... I really hate when anyone reads over my shoulders, so when I read or write anywhere but my room, I either need to have  no one behind me or my back to the wall. When I write at home I usually wear headphones and blast music to block out any distractions.... Like my roommate's kids jumping off the walls or listening to the tv loudly....

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1542 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
for writing its usually in my room at night. i can write durring the day but for some reason night time helps me more...plus as long as my mom's not calling me every 5 seconds and i'm motivated i can get alot done ^^; i also litsen to music too and that helps me alot.

i usually find myself reading at home on my laptop in my room since i dont go out much to begin with^^; but if i cant wait i can read on my phone. i read one of rndy's recent pervs on the bus home from school and i had to force myself not to smile so much. noone was near me to read off my phone but still, i coulkdnt stop grinning lol
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline arisa03

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1543 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:50 AM »
*replies ; A ;*

For reading; I usually do after I put them on iPod (or browse using it) cause I really like reading while lying down. It's the best kind of relaxation for me. (Since I'm insomniac it sometimes helps me sleep too... unless the story is too intense, no sleeping for me until I finish it (if I know it's finished) xD). I also read while walking or while in the bus etc. xD

For writing; pretty much everywhere that I have a writing tool for. If I have an idea, write, even if it's pen and tissue paper, okay. LOL.
Like I’m the most calm... Like, it must definitely be because, Like when we enter, I’ll be hurrying. But Because Junjun is older, I can calm down? I don’t really know, Like I just absolutely want her there beside me. Whenever we go abroad, if Junjun is absolutely not beside me, I absolutely won’t go. Something like that. -- Tanaka Reina about Junjun.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1544 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
Random trollolol comment~

I think I write because I'm bored! Therefore I should always be left to be bored, and then you get more updates! *scribbles*  :mon study:

なんでやねん。  :mon uggh:

:mon hobo:

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1545 on: May 21, 2012, 11:08:40 PM »
Sorry to double-post not but I won't be updating for the next week since I will be on vacation.

I was planning on updating before I left, but a certain someone grac distracted me and thus no new chapter was born day before last. Ah well. XD

Although if all goes well, I'll probably be able to scribble some ideas while eating dimsum and chilling in Hongkong. :D

This has been an Essy news flash. :D

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline kawaii beam

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Taka+Gaki=EPIC X3
« Reply #1546 on: May 21, 2012, 11:22:09 PM »
have a safe trip essy^^

i think that last week was a rare moment where i chucked out somany oneshots in such a short time...and 2 of them were done in a day... lol
please visit kawaii-chan's avie's and siggies!

Offline kjpop

• DAT ASS!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1547 on: May 22, 2012, 12:45:45 AM »
A week vacation = happy times = me finally catching up!!! WOOP WOOP

hopefully inspiration manages to sneak up on you ;D

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1548 on: May 22, 2012, 10:27:46 AM »
I SAID 'don't let me keep you' like a million times, Essy-pinku. *You* were the one fangirling Guychan 'til the wee hours. Granted, I did keep saying 'do it do ittt'

Kiwi and Kiji nyankos: Hope you get inspired moar.  :P

"I'm still blaming Sayu for my lolicon tendencies now." ~Essy

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1549 on: May 22, 2012, 09:04:02 PM »
^ I have to double-post to point this out: I find it appalling that you checked the forum on your holiday.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1550 on: May 23, 2012, 04:26:55 AM »
*giggles* Guilty as charged~

Speaking of which I met Kuji yesterday and we had yakiniku and lots of fangirl talk. There might also have been crackish ideas bounced about. Just sayin. XD

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1551 on: May 23, 2012, 05:36:23 AM »
Yes, but was there Essy-pinku? And videoevidence?

Well, glad to see you and Kuji enjoying yourselves- I'm sure between the two of you, plenty of crack would ensue. We nervously await your return.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1552 on: May 23, 2012, 11:11:41 AM »
No there was no Essy-pinku. There will never be a second time unless I'm drunk or something. XD

Though I did sing many idol songs. Not as much Momusu as I would have liked, but hey. Lol.

And no worries the crack really isn't that bad. Really. Honest word. :P

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1553 on: June 01, 2012, 04:57:46 AM »
Ok new topic~

Just out of curiosity, what "genre" do you guys like reading/writing about best? Or just find yourself reading/writing? XD

For readers: What type of stories do you look for (aside from pairing :P), and what other types of stories are you interested in seeing?

For writers: Pairing first, story first, or both? :D Priority-wise I mean. What sort of stories do you think you're better at, and what else you might like to try?

For myself, as a reader, I read just about anything. :lol: My priority is plot, characterization and good writing. I automatically press back if the first sentence is riddled with spelling and grammatical errors and improper capitalization. Sorry lol. While I do not normally read fanfic that stars pairings I don't usually read, if I trust the writer's skill enough, I'll read anything from them, even if it's the most hated pairing I can possibly imagine. :lol:

As a writer myself, same priorities? Though I must say I went from a more character-focused style to a more plot-focused style over the years. It shifts, generally, depending on what story I'm writing. :lol: Gegenschein is necessarily plot-driven, whereas something like MSF is naturally character-driven. Epic stories vs slice of life I guess. XD I want to try writing a fairytale kind of story at least once. Already did it as a one shot before, but I wonder...

Pretty much tried most of the more common genres myself. Swashbuckling adventure (AA), angst!fic (NR), fluff (one shots, DL), slice of life (MSF), epic saga types (Gegenschein). I even had an anime style story in my sandbox once. Hmm. Definitely want to try a fairytale, and maybe horror someday? What else am I missing? :lol: Diversification is fun, and I like to think there's nothing I cannot do hehe. Am open to challenges as always, but answering them might take a while with all the stories I have on my plate. Lol.

So the floor's open to you guys~

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #1554 on: June 01, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
First thing I look for as a reader is plot, then grammar/spelling, then characters, then pairing. I usually read anything, so long as it's compelling or captivating. I love stories that immerse a reader into a new world or emotions, so my above all favorite genres are sci fi and fantasy types. Also, sad stories, when I'm in the mood...

As a writer, I find it easiest to write romance stuff, especially since I'm such a romantic/perv at heart. After that, I love action filled stories. I usually start with a certain scene then write my stories from there. More rarely, I start with a world and fill it with characters. Romance happens in most of my stories, too, and I have my favorite and least favorite pairings... I will probably never write a pure Gakikame or an Aisayu, but, someday, I might write up a Renai, if I can make Risa happy in there somewhere.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1555 on: June 01, 2012, 06:54:51 AM »
As a reader, I seem to go for anything that makes sense, has a good plot, and beyond that I can probably let most things past.  Genre-wise, sci-fi is pretty much out of the picture, fantasy is okay, if I am willing to run with it.  Although romance and action are pretty much the two I end up reading most.  I really wish for more unconventional pairings or kids fics.  Also, something outside the box of the mold, haven't seen a lot of those :nervous  Recently, I have avoided reading certain ones because the story is not interesting anymore or the fanfare has gotten enough support that I read others that bring a different view rather than the ones who have been set in their ways.

As a writer, I like realistic events or dark stories.  I guess most of the stories have it and probably don't make a lot of sense or just too much stuff people dislike reading.  I hate to use the same pairings as my main characters but occasionally they return.  In addition, I have the habit to make challenges that I don't even succeed in but just to make somethings work.  It also comes down to the point where I look at what types of fics are out there now being updated and resist doing those.  Even going against the grain has its pleasures :lol:

I guess I outed myself in doing some stuff but I think thanks to one writer/reader I have less frustration in writing and I am sorry to that person for not reading enough :lol:
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline badsaints

• in love with Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1556 on: June 02, 2012, 05:59:49 AM »
Hmm... It's been a long time since I checked this forum 8)

Good question Essy. Think I'm gonna give my views as a reader/lurker lol.

For me, I'll read anything as long as the story is good, even if the pairings are not in my top list *coughgakikame/kameshigecough*. Provided the plot is good & I can actually feel the characters in the story. I'm not very particular on the English, a little grammar mistakes are okay, since I understand some of us are not well-versed in the language. Having said that, there are certain pet peeves that will make me close the tab, no matter how good the story is. I really can't stand writers who do not understand the basic idea of writing, ie. paragraphing, proper capitalization, spelling (some are acceptable but not when I mentally correct the mistakes more than understanding the plot). Oh and another thing, if you are writing the H!P fic, at least have the decency to spell the girls' names correctly  :lol:

I'm glad that the H!P writers here stick to Japanese setting and/or the girls' characters as Japanese girls. I found stories where Japanese idols acting & talking as if my fav kpop idols would, very confusing & a little weird :shocked I can't imagine them going 'Oppa' & 'Unnie' with each other. Trust me, there are stories like that.

Having said above, it's great to see so many new fics in the forum. Time to catch up! :cow:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1557 on: June 19, 2012, 02:39:28 PM »
Hurr I really want to write but I keep getting harassed at home so it's hard to sit down and get anything done. I don't want to talk to these people, and I want to be left alone to do my own thing. :/ why is it always so hard??

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline arisa03

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1558 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:10 AM »
^ I hope you can get your silence and peace in mind soon ; A ; If it's like that at home, it is very hard indeed =/

As an answer to your question,
the first thing I look for is the pairing. (Mean person here har har har), because I'm the type of person who enjoys reading something that I enjoy shipping? But, I do check every story and read them. But of course if it's enjoyment, definitely the one with the pairing of my choice yes? Then I look at the story, then the grammar. We all have our own ideas/stories, so I believe everything is unique (unless they are evidently plagiarized in any way). Then grammar, I'm sure if we gently help the writer's we can help them improve (through comments) and then they would write more and more and improve as time goes. Ibelieveeverythingcanimprovesuchahypocrite.

Anyway I think I stopped making sense so I'll just leave it at that. OTL
Like I’m the most calm... Like, it must definitely be because, Like when we enter, I’ll be hurrying. But Because Junjun is older, I can calm down? I don’t really know, Like I just absolutely want her there beside me. Whenever we go abroad, if Junjun is absolutely not beside me, I absolutely won’t go. Something like that. -- Tanaka Reina about Junjun.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1559 on: July 10, 2012, 06:41:02 AM »
It just occurred to me that this being the 50th single release for Momusu we should have some kind of event thingy here in the fanfic forum. Maybe a thread where we take a single title and write a one shot? Or even better, please reference all the singles from #1 to #50 in a story. Lmao. What do you guys think?

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Koi no Uta