JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Koyote - Play

Author Topic: ebc's MPG/VOB to AVI encoding guide using Gordian Knot  (Read 38194 times)

Offline aimaime

• Ai T's Iced Tea
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Gakky^^
ebc's MPG/VOB to AVI encoding guide using Gordian Knot
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2006, 07:09:06 PM »
the processor is centrino 1.6GHz. ram about 1.5GB.. when i first started the estimated time was 6hrs.. then around 16% i checked again it was 14hrs..

then now, 4 hours later at 40% look at this..

omg it increased to one day!

sangatsu7 - movies, music, variety shows, japan, aichan, rants, etc..

Offline frblckstr1

• The Archive
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2006, 07:22:06 PM »
^ on a laptop make sure you have 'performance' selected as option, although also make sure your laptop CPU fan can handle the extra heat generated...

Normally I have 'balance' selected even when I am connected to the wall outlet, but for video encoding I change the setting, then with AutoGK it takes about 3-4 times the length of the video to encode it using a 1.73GHz Pentium M (which is about twice as fast I think as a centrino) for the audio and two-pass Xvid.
So a 100min video (assuming 181320/30/60) would take me about 5-6 hours.

The change in calculated encoding length might have to do with differences in complexity of the video.
Also make sure your virus scanner is not trying to scan the resulting video file...

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2006, 07:33:22 PM »
i think you're running something in the background like a screensaver or whatever that is competing with the encoding for CPU.  My laptop which also has a 1.6ghz pentium m cpu encodes a 90 min video in about 4 or 5 hours.

Offline aimaime

• Ai T's Iced Tea
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Gakky^^
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 03:08:43 PM »
it is very weird because i'm not really running anything heavy in the background. the time just keeps on increasing.

i tried changing the processing thread priority to "highest" and the time finally starts to drop. now it's at the 6 hr mark. *phew* hope it doesn't cause any trouble to the processor though..

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2006, 02:36:30 AM »
Okay, just wondering if anyone can help me with this. I was encoding a 1h 42min length dvd. Ripped it fine, I checked the vobs too. Anyways, here's what happened. I used two-pass encoding, set size to 1400MB, and set it to split it into 2 files automatically. Encoded alright. But what happened is, the audio was de-synced. But I'm not talking about normal audio desync. The audio is fine in part1 of the output avi, and the first parts of part2, but it goes about half a second off in the later part of part2. And I don't know how to correct it. I'll try again later, but anyone have any idea what's going on?

Offline aimaime

• Ai T's Iced Tea
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Gakky^^
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 06:57:57 PM »
sorry maliciel.. lets wait for what the experts have to say..

anyway i've found the guide very useful, thanks a million! i've abandoned autogk now.

however i found that after ripping, some movies have a lot of noise (especially around the edges). hard to explain but here's a screenshot example..

if you look at the girl's hair you can see that there's some pixellation thingies there.. i've made the file to be 700mb and use TomsMoComp for deinterlacing. is there a way to do some more tweaking to make the quality better, or is 700mb just too small?

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 07:05:39 PM »
Quote from: aimaime
if you look at the girl's hair you can see that there's some pixellation thingies there.. i've made the file to be 700mb and use TomsMoComp for deinterlacing. is there a way to do some more tweaking to make the quality better, or is 700mb just too small?

Not sure if it's this, but if you're doing any resizing make sure you select 'precise bilinear'.  When I've tried other choices I've seen the same sort of blockiness.

As for your problem Mal, maybe it went out of sync when it went from one vob to the next.
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 11:20:32 AM »
What res are you encoding the video at aimaime?
From the screenshot it looks a little bit too stretched.
When you do the cropping and resizing watch to see that the aspect error is as close to 0 as you can get it.

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 02:47:53 PM »
Thank you for this guide, I don't like VOBs much =_=
The artist formerly known as Gray.

Offline aimaime

• Ai T's Iced Tea
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Gakky^^
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2006, 03:23:31 PM »
Quote from: ebc
What res are you encoding the video at aimaime?
From the screenshot it looks a little bit too stretched.
When you do the cropping and resizing watch to see that the aspect error is as close to 0 as you can get it.

don't remember the exact res, but did try to make the aspect error as close to zero as possible, so usually i go -0.6 or somewhere around there.. but it does make the size become really small compared to the fullscreen size.. so maybe that's why when i watch it in fullscreen it becomes so blocky?

Quote from: ~Dan~
Not sure if it's this, but if you're doing any resizing make sure you select 'precise bilinear'.  When I've tried other choices I've seen the same sort of blockiness.

thanks for the advice. i'll try that next time i do more conversion. been kinda busy lately :doh:

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2006, 04:08:11 PM »
Usually you get those blocks when the resolution has been stretched much further than it's original ratio.
How long is the movie? You should probably do 2cd encodes for movies around 2hours. Then you can use a higher resolution and try get your Bits/(Pixel*Frame) ratio around .3 . You should be able to get the res for 16:9 movies to around 512x288 or even 640x352 which is about the highest res you will want to use for a 16:9 DVD encode. Try adjusting the cropping as well to get your aspect ratio error about right.

Offline aimaime

• Ai T's Iced Tea
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Gakky^^
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2006, 04:28:06 PM »
will do. thanks again for the help

Offline Masda_P

• NextBerryzMember
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2006, 08:01:18 AM »
Thank you very much!
i'll try to find suitable rippers for my dvd.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 12:50:38 AM »
btw...  I successfully created a playable avi file from an MPEG2 file (S-VHS to PC recording).  Thanks again for the cheat sheet, ebc!

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2006, 09:28:20 PM »
This video editing software that came with my video card, PowerDirector, can work with VOB files.  I just import and save as an uncompressed AVI file.  Open in VirtualDub, deinterlace, and compress.  ;D

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2006, 12:48:47 AM »
^um, there's a version called virtualdubmod and it will open vobs for you :D so you really don't need to open them in PowerDirector and save as avi.

Offline LaJon

• King Lurker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2006, 02:28:51 AM »
Quote from: ebc
^um, there's a version called virtualdubmod and it will open vobs for you :D so you really don't need to open them in PowerDirector and save as avi.

Hotness.  Just downloaded it.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006, 07:28:46 PM »
WOO HOO EBC!! Very nice, followed the guide to a tee and my encode came out great!!!

Any tips on making it sharper?? I didn't install the DivX 5.05 or 3.11 codec too, and had Xvid already. I have DivX 6 something.

Offline Guchi_Jnr

• Livin' Your Dream
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2006, 03:03:38 PM »
Quote from: daigong
Any tips on making it sharper?? I didn't install the DivX 5.05 or 3.11 codec too, and had Xvid already. I have DivX 6 something.
A lot of it depends on the actual DVD quality. A good DVD should have a bitrate of 8000~9000, but some DVDs are as low as 2,500 (some sabras have been that low), and is friggin' impossible to get them shape.

You can increase the encode bitrate to get a better picture, but after a certain point, you won't notice any improvement, and will just be a waste of HDD space. I find around 2000 XviD to be near DVD quality.

Also, I have my settings a bit different to ebc's guide.

For me, I thought they worked the best.

I suggest using a small 20sec clip (takes no time to encode), and just alter the setting to see which one looks the best.

20sec sabra clip  (looks tasty too)

And finally, forget DivX.. You need to really up the bitrate to get close to the same as XviD, and it still doesn't look as good.

Offline Miwa ♥

• 510's Fangirl
  • Member+
  • Exotic ~♥~ Disco!
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2006, 09:29:18 PM »
eeh~ this tutorial is really helpful. i think i'll try it. thank you so much, ne! =3.
Maki Goto + Risa Niigaki + Aya Matsuura are the LOVE

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Koyote - Play