JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rip Slyme - Funkastic

Author Topic: Help me, fellow denizens of geekdom!  (Read 4101 times)

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
Help me, fellow denizens of geekdom!
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
I really need some help!

So we have a public transport system here (i know, right). And I have a card for it. It basically works like an Octopus card (for you HK people); Not too sure if it's similar looks-wise, however. It's a contactless RFID-based (assumption, but I think it makes sense) payment method, so the card is a little thicker compared to cards with strips (ie credit cards). I'd get another photo comparing the thickness, but my camera has been commandeered by my sister.

Anyway down to business. This card looks absolutely crappy (pic is attached, below). Now I'm trying to look for a way to print something and stick it on the card. My plan was to just get some photo paper and do some cutting to get it to fit on the card. But my problem is what do I use to stick it on? Some suggested a glue stick, but I'm not sure that will survive the rough usage of the card, and it'd take forever to adhere. However, I'm not sure if I can use superglue either (last time I tried that on plastic the results were disastrous). I could double sided tape, but that requires a really steady hand to not fuck up.

tl;dr: Need something to stick paper onto plastic, recommendations plox.

Akiba section have any ideas?

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: Help me, fellow denizens of geekdom!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
Glue stick (or simular) and tape that bitch over the edges.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1058/dude.jpg
[/url]

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:36:04 PM »
Avoid plastic cement since it works by melting/fusing the plastic.

I'd probably just stick to plain old white school glue to be safe.

Offline arun.yothin

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
I would think double-sided tape would be fine. It may be easier to line it up if you stand up the card and photo on one side.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 03:28:39 PM »
Glue stick (or simular) and tape that bitch over the edges.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/1058/dude.jpg

I agree

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »
Stop trying to pad your postcount, SITS.

Anyways, I got some materials (that being paper, glue, and a xacto) and went to work. Had to print a few test pieces to see if the colours were right, and at first I was puzzled why there was banding. Turns out I forgot to set it to photo printing orz.

As you can see, the cut is not perfect. And there's a little tear near the nape of her neck (:nervous).

I think I should be able to pry it off and try again, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it. Could've used glossy paper instead, but I don't have the dough to shell out for another pack of paper, so matte will do for now. You can also see the paper is actually pretty flush, there's barely any indication that it was ever stuck on. I accidentally cut a bit of the card with the xacto, but I don't think that should be a problem..

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »
Looks great man.

Now tape the edges of that bitch so it wont start to peel off in daily use. The more narrow you can make the tape the less visible it will be.
[/url]

JPHiP Radio (17/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rip Slyme - Funkastic