JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nakagawa Shoko - Strawberry melody

Author Topic: Professional Go  (Read 3071 times)

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Professional Go
« on: January 11, 2006, 01:19:01 PM »
Now when we have a fishing thread, why not a professional go thread too. If I remember correctly, there was some go (weiqi in chinese, baduk in korean) players at IRC.

This year's first title match Kisei starts next sunday. And of all places, in Berlin, Germany! I guess this is the first time they play title matches in Europe, although I'm not sure. At least they don't do it too often.

Hane Naoki Kisei is facing a challenger, Yamashita Keigo.  I suppose the game is once again mirrored in IGS go server.

Who are you cheering for?
coot is ctz

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Professional Go
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 11:36:17 PM »
Whoa, this thread has been so popular!

Yamashita Keigo won the first game in Berlin today. And I was wrong, the game wasn't in  IGS, but in Cyberoro instead.
coot is ctz

Offline Thimas X

• I eat Jailbaits for breakfast
  • Member+
Professional Go
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 04:04:50 AM »
Where can i watch this?

Offline TheQuickening

• Watching from afar
  • Member+
Professional Go
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 05:14:42 AM »
Go is the game with the black and white pieces that look like flattened marbles, right?  Wasn't it the game that was Soun and Genma played in Ranma 1/2?

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...Barrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-be-cuuuuuuuuuuuuue

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Professional Go
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 08:17:33 AM »
It's televised?  :lol:

First Poker, what's next? Washed up Japanese celebrities playing for "Charity" :D

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Professional Go
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »
Go is the game with the black and white pieces that look like flattened marbles, right? Wasn't it the game that was Soun and Genma played in Ranma 1/2?

I haven't seen or read so much Ranma, but yes it's the same game I guess.

Where can i watch this?

You have to register to Cyberoro or Pandanet Internet Go server. Usually the title games are mirrored on the Pandanet server, but this time it was on the Cyberoro. I don't know if it's the new practice or just this time only.

The next game for Kisei title is on February 1, 2006.

I guess they don't televise go games anywhere, I don't know about Japan, China or Korea though. The problem is that (title)games last for hours and it's pretty much same as watching a chess game. For people who don't know anything about the game, it's difficult to understand what's really happening on a board.

For playing and learning go, Wikipedia's entry about Go has some good links at the bottom of the page.
coot is ctz

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Professional Go
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »

The challenger won the title holder last night fourth time in a row and took the title 4-0. Yamashita Keigo is the new Kisei.
coot is ctz

JPHiP Radio (16/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nakagawa Shoko - Strawberry melody