JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sloth Love Chunks - Indipiina Alternative Box

Author Topic: Official NHL Thread  (Read 548543 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: Official NHL Thread
« Reply #1740 on: July 04, 2011, 09:49:45 AM »
^ CRAZY FREE AGENCY LOLZ. Brad Richards OVERRATED!! Jagr still 39 holy shit. Like the Pens fans still remember him.

Everything the Oilers wanted, they got SHIT. even got rid of that sack of shit Kurtis Foster for giant fucker Andy Sutton! I nearly wet myself when Ben Eager or Hordichuk said he'd go and knock heads off.

I bet they trade Cogliano, he's just too stupid with the puck. Bring up fucks from the farm and grow em.

I been fantasizing in NHL 09 :fap

Jets at least got themselves...NO ONE? oh well this gear is fly:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1741 on: July 06, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »
SMYTTIE BACK IN TOWN!!!

Time to go to Lux Steakhouse on the regular :fap

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1742 on: July 11, 2011, 07:47:44 AM »
Found this in this past Saturday's Winnipeg Free Press, thanks to H!Pstah Tom_Green:

And you think weather affects your ups 'n' downs
By: Gordon Sinclair Jr.
Posted: 07/9/2011 1:00 AM

IT COULD HAVE BEEN THE MOOSE...

It's been a couple of weeks since Mark Chipman announced that the Team To Be Named Later finally had one. And as pleased as I was that it was the Winnipeg Jets, after so much speculation, I was curious about what other names were seriously considered. So I called Scott Brown, the team's director of communications and asked.

Turns out there were three others:
The Moose, the Polar Bears and the Falcons. That wasn't surprising.

What was surprising is how two of them were eliminated. There were intellectual-property hurdles with both the Falcons and the Polar Bears.

That left the Jets and the Moose.

And the longer the decision took, the more apparent it became that the decision-maker, True North chairman Mark Chipman, was hearing a vocal majority. Among those were the people wearing Jets sweaters at Portage and Main when the NHL's return was officially announced, particularly the young fans who were kids when the team left 15 years ago.

I told Brown that they reminded me of the demonstrators who took to the streets during the Arab Spring.

Not because they were making a political statement, of course, or that they even were consciously trying to tell Chipman what they wanted.

Still, when they wore the Jets logo over their hearts, those fans let True North know what name they wanted.

That and the marketing research True North did. And bless his own heart, Mark Chipman listened.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/and-you-think-weather-affects-your-ups-n-downs-125259674.html

I still find it hard to believe that they were actually, seriously considering "The Polar Bears" for the team name. :wth

Anyway, thanks for listening Mr. Chipman.  :twothumbs
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:45:17 AM by JFC »

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1743 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
don't think Kenndal McArdle would be as bad ass with Polar Bears on the front of his jersey! great move! Jets gonna have dat Eastern Conference grit at its finest. esp when Charlie Huddy is training the blue line!

went to Sherwood Park yest. for the Oilers Prospects Camp July 9 2011. RNH lighting em up!

I saw Kelly Buchberger and was like all BUCKY!! and he waved at me rofl. Got there late cuz it was raining hardcore and Craig Simpson was behind me XD not all prima donna sitting in the "reserved seating" - all proud of his boy Dillon. RNH is #72 here:

not sure about the others lol. One dude got hit in the face blocking a shot on 3 on 3! SIGN HIM TO THE ROSTER NOW!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1744 on: July 14, 2011, 07:42:50 PM »
So obviously, one of the biggest questions here in Peg Sheety about the return of the Jets is "What's the logo gonna look like?"

Well, 'netizens throughout the world have also been asking that question, so much so that someone has actually started up a "Jets logo contest."  Amongst the designs that have been submitted are:

*CLICK FOR FULL SIZE*

MANY, MANY MORE/ALL SUBMISSIONS HERE - https://www.hiretheworld.com/designtourney/project/Winnipeg-Jets-Logo/entries/539/all/1/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1745 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:20 AM »
Fuck em all! Dean's wins hands down. Reps da Forks too. :pimp:

Cogliano gets traded!! Looks like Oilers will never deal with the Kings again :lol: but hey, Ducks signed a bunch of Oil garbage like JJD

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1746 on: July 16, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »
HERE'S YOUR WINNER!! :jphip:

can you imagine Big Buff rocking these?

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #1747 on: July 17, 2011, 08:35:55 AM »

BELIEVE DA HYPE! :rock:

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1748 on: July 20, 2011, 07:53:58 AM »
^ that goalie just got waived :lol:

GO SAKIC

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1749 on: July 22, 2011, 10:44:23 PM »
Thanks to johnbobman for the headsup on this! The official announcement is apparently going to be be at 4:00PM CST! :w00t:

Rumored leak of the new logo -> http://t.co/ezkInIh

EDIT: Here it is! A slightly more military-themed variation than what the old logo was. No images yet of what the actual jerseys will look like, but for first impressions, I definitely like the "wings" patch in the upper-right (which will likely be used as a shoulder patch on the jersey). I like, but hope that they don't put too much of the grey/silver in the overall jersey colour scheme. It's better used just as an accent colour, IMO.

ANNOUNCEMENT ON NHL.COM - http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569911
LOGO UNVEILING VIDEO ON NHL.COM - http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=121178
BRAND IDENTITY/LOGO GALLERY ON NHL.COM - http://jets.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=23491&navid=DL

Winnipeg Jets unveil Air Force-inspired logo
Tim Campbell
Posted: 07/22/2011 3:07 PM CST

WINNIPEG - Traditional and clean as it is, there’s no more need for the NHL’s shield logo to signify anything regarding the Winnipeg Jets.

The city’s new NHL team unveiled its new logo this afternoon, a similarly traditional insignia of a silver fighter jet viewed from the sky-to-ground angle over top a red maple leaf.

The images are surrounded by a blue and thin-silver circle. The team said the main logo has been inspired by the Royal Canadian Air Force.

"True North Sports & Entertainment felt it was important for the new Winnipeg Jets to develop a strong new identity," Mark Chipman, chairman and governor of True North said in a statement today. "We felt it was important to authenticate the name Jets and we believe the new logo does that through its connection to our country’s remarkable Air Force heritage, including the rich history and relationship that our city and province have enjoyed with the Canadian Forces."

This new Jets logo is a distinct departure from all the former Winnipeg Jets logos of the WHA and earlier NHL eras.

The team also unveiled two secondary logos on its website this afternoon, a Winnipeg Jets banner over top of a meshing of captain’s wings and crossed hockey sticks. A red maple leaf separates the banners of "Winnipeg" and "Jets."

The other logo is simply a small "Winnipeg" above a stylized "Jets" in script, also sporting that traditional red maple leaf.

The team, the former Atlanta Thrashers which were sold to True North on May 31, has been using the NHL shield on its web site and in numerous other promotional materials. It even used the NHL logo and sweaters at the entry draft in June.

The team’s in-game look, including jerseys, will not be revealed for a few more weeks.

With their logo announcement, the Jets said that gear such as hats, t-shirts and other items are available immediately at the team’s new "Jets Gear" story (formerly the Moose Off The Rack store) at the MTS Centre.

The store is open until 10 p.m. tonight and will be open on the weekend between 10-6 on Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

New Jets forward Eric Fehr will be at the store signing autographs Saturday from noon to 1 p.m.

tim.campbell@freepress.mb.ca
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Winnipeg-Jets-unveiling-logo-126029894.html

Now I just have to find some time to get my ass down to the Jets' store to try and score some shwag.  8)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:50:29 PM by JFC »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1750 on: July 24, 2011, 05:50:38 AM »
damn, that's official? At least it wasn't a cartoon jet XD Guess they wanted to make it different from the original but shit son. Wonder how they jerseys look like.

I say we make shirts of the Tom_Green/daigong collabo logo for the next JPH!P World Tour :jphip:

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1751 on: July 25, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »
Even though we have seen him wear some pretty "unique" outfits himself, when Grapes gives you a thumbs up, you know you must be doing something right.  8)

Cherry loves new Jets logo -
Coach's Corner icon would proudly don new gear

BY ROSS ROMANIUK , WINNIPEG SUN
FIRST POSTED: SUNDAY, JULY 24, 2011 6:33:12 CDT PM | UPDATED: SUNDAY, JULY 24, 2011 8:03:21 CDT PM

One of Canada’s most well-known hockey fans and military boosters says the new Winnipeg Jets logo is a beauty.

Colourful NHL television commentator Don Cherry is giving an enthusiastic thumbs-up to the reborn Jets military-themed emblem, which he says looks great while showing respect to those who risk their lives, and die, for Canada.

“It’s terrific, and it will look great on the sweaters,” Cherry told the Winnipeg Sun from his Toronto-area home, adding that the logo will likely make Jets jerseys and other merchandise a strong seller across the country.

“I would wear it, for sure, because it looks good. It’s got some style about it, I’ll tell you that. It’s a hell of a lot better than an awful lot (of the logos) in the National Hockey League that I wouldn’t wear, for sure. I’d be proud to wear that, and proud to have that on a cap. I’ll tell you that. And the players will be, too. How could you do better than to honour the people who lay their lives down for us?”

The Coach’s Corner icon from CBC’s Hockey Night in Canada lauded Jets owners True North Sports and Entertainment for taking the graphic brand in what he said is the right direction.

“It’s better than a cartoon or something like that. It’s great in showing respect to the troops. I couldn’t think of anything better. Plus, it’s a jet — it fits right in,” Cherry said of the “primary” logo.

“And the one with those two little wings would be great on the helmets, on each side.”

The logo is based on the Royal Canadian Air Force roundel through an agreement reached with the military, which involves a total $1-million contribution from True North to a few Canadian Forces personnel funds over 10 years.

Maj.-Gen. Alain Parent, commanding officer of the Winnipeg-based 1 Canadian Air Division and NORAD Canadian Region, suggested that the air force’s strong ties to the city extend to its major sports teams.

“We see this as a win-win for both organizations — the air force and the Winnipeg Jets,” Parent said, also noting the link in the name of the CFL’s Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Jets player Eric Fehr echoed Cherry’s appreciation for the brand.

“I really like it. I think it’s different. It’s not what I was picturing, but it looks great. It’s a good tribute to the military, and to Canada,” Fehr said.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/24/cherry-loves-new-jets-logo

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1752 on: July 29, 2011, 12:28:14 AM »
Yeah, we all know it was bound to happen sooner or later. :lol:

PHOTO: FIRST EVER TATTOO OF NEW WINNIPEG JETS LOGO
Written By Ken

Taken from David Engbaek’s Twitter account. David is a tattoo artist at Tattoos on Tache (296 Tache Ave). If you’re interested in a similar tattoo you can contact him here.

This is believed to be the first ever tattoo of the new Winnipeg Jets logo. I’m sure there will be more to come! Go Jets Go!
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://accesswinnipeg.com/2011/07/photo-first-ever-tattoo-of-new-winnipeg-jets-logo/

EDIT:
And today it was unveiled that the Jets' new AHL affiliate will be known as the Timmies Double-Doubles IceCaps.

IceCaps picked as St. John's AHL team name
CBC News Posted: Jul 29, 2011 8:36 AM CT Last Updated: Jul 29, 2011 9:42 AM CT

The St. John's IceCaps has been confirmed as the name of the American Hockey League's newest franchise.

The announcement was made at Mile One Centre in St. John's, where the IceCaps — the farm team of the relaunched Winnipeg Jets — will play its home games.

The name has been one of the worst-kept secrets in St. John's, as word leaked last month that former Newfoundland and Labrador premier Danny Williams had picked it in his effort to return professional hockey to his home city.

Williams, who had registered the company St. John's Ice Caps Inc. in June, said the new name and logo "captures the history and culture of Newfoundland and Labrador."

The logo features stylized versions of Labrador and Newfoundland forming the left and right sides, respectively, of an iceberg.

The name is also an echo of the old St. John's Caps, a team that played in the provincial men's senior hockey league.

The team is owned by Winnipeg-based True North Sports and Entertainment, which also owns the Jets. The AHL franchise had formerly played as the Manitoba Moose.

The name drew a mixed public reaction when word leaked last month, with some saying it was too similar to the frozen cappuccino drinks that the Tim Hortons chain sells.

But fans are clearly eager for hockey with the team selling 4,700 season passes in the 6,000-seat Mile One Centre by mid-July.
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/07/29/nl-stjohns-ahl-team-name-729.html

Nice logo design, but oh boy, they're going to be getting so many Tim Horton's jokes with this for a while.  :lol:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:43:28 PM by JFC »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1753 on: August 07, 2011, 08:17:53 AM »
Ahh yeah, I missed the whole military reference but the main logo looks good for the shoulder. the maple leaf and all lol well. WHATEVA LETS PLAY HOCKEY!!!

Red & White Game with RNH taking OVER! http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=4&id=121689

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1754 on: August 09, 2011, 10:19:42 PM »
Oh, gotta love dem online bootleggers/counterfeiters and the way that they try and capitalize on anything & everything as quickly as they possibly can.

Counterfeit Jets merchandise selling on the net
Updated: Sat Aug. 06 2011 19:44:25
ctvwinnipeg.ca

Jets gear is still flying off the shelf around Winnipeg. When the new logo was revealed, fans lined up around the block for t-shirts and hats.

Now, two weeks later, Zak Rubin of River City Sports says people are starting to look for bigger items.

"We've been getting requests everyday. ‘When are the jerseys out, when are the jerseys out?' said Rubin. "It's going to be a little while yet, so we're taking orders."

With demand so high, counterfeit items are popping up all over the Internet.

Websites like kijiji.ca and alibaba.com have ads for the new Jets team jersey, with people selling replicas and so-called authentics for as low as $50.

"The jerseys haven't been created, they haven't been mass-produced, they aren't available to anyone yet," said Scott Brown of True North Sports & Entertainment. "So anyone who is telling you you can buy a jersey online is telling you something that's not true."

The new jersey design is under lockdown and won't be revealed for weeks. True North says it's buyer beware when it comes to purchasing fakes. Not only could you end up with poorly made product, but local retailers said buying knock-offs is bad for local business.

"In my mind it's a pretty risky proposition to go get a fake jersey when you could go to a good local business (where) the royalties go to the team," said Rubin.

True North said even once the jersey design is revealed and available for the players, the public will still have to wait a few more weeks for the jerseys to hit stores.

-- with a report from CTV's Jillian Taylor
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110806/wpg_jets_fake_110806/20110806/?hub=WinnipegHome

Counterfeiters trying to cash in on Jets craze
CBC Sports | Posted: Aug 7, 2011 2:55 PM ET | Last Updated: Aug 7, 2011 2:55 PM ET
When the Winnipeg Jets unveiled their new logo two weeks ago, they expected to encounter copy cats.

They didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

Counterfeit jerseys have leaked onto the market nearly a month before True North Sports and Entertainment plans to unveil the new uniforms for their prized franchise.

Club officials, and retailers selling officially licensed gear, are concerned about losing sales to the counterfeiters.

"Obviously, it's going to be a popular jersey, and popular product," said Gerald Haasbeek, the independent owner of Royal Sports, to the Winnipeg Sun. "So yeah, we're worried."

CBCSports.ca found fraudulent jerseys littered around the web. One imitator is even offering to swap a pair of jerseys for a couple of Toronto Maple Leafs tickets.

The Jets official merchandise store located in the MTS Centre grossed nearly $200,000 in its first weekend of operation. It sold out almost the entire store.

Scott Brown, communications director for the Jets, says the team will be active in handling the situation and educating consumers in cooperation with the independent retailers.

"We have been very careful to warn the consumers about dealing with people on the secondary market," said Brown, to the Winnipeg Free Press. "Whether it's in tickets, merchandise, anything to do with buying something."
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2011/08/07/sp-jets.html

Ok, for the record, the REAL, OFFICIAL jerseys have not yet been revealed. Furthermore, according to official statements issued by the team, they (the real, official jerseys) are not going to be revealed until September or maybe even October. So until then, anyone who sees a site selling jerseys that looks like this, know that it's most likely fake/counterfeit (though I do have to admit, whoever designed these fakes came up with a pretty good design/colour scheme).

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1755 on: August 16, 2011, 03:43:02 AM »
^ dem staring at me XD

This one's for Mugen. Me trolling Johnny Boychuk of the Bruins. He born and raised in Edmonton, in town for the Indy.. I was like HEY! my coworker "Sandro went to high school with you! he's so proud lulz." and he was like "ORLY? O.A.B.?"

FUCK!! copped me a box of Upper Deck and got Taylor Hall ROOKIE! can't wait for the season to start!

Offline Mugen

• Chan Ho Nam Jr.
  • Member+
« Reply #1756 on: August 16, 2011, 06:31:22 AM »
^lol fucker texted me early in the morning.

In another sad news, former Canuck Rick Rypien passed away today. Dude has mental issues and had already took several leave of absence when he was with the Nucks. His last ever apperance in a game he got into a fight with a fan from Minnestoa. RIP. He'll always be known as the guy who take on 6"7 guys into fights and fuck em up!! ie. ZACK STORTINI

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 06:37:08 AM by Mugen »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1757 on: August 16, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
Fuck....I just heard that going to sleep. Shocker. And just signed with the Jets. And Alberta boy too. RIP Rypien.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #1758 on: August 16, 2011, 06:41:30 PM »
The rumors of him having to fight depression had been talked about since that second leave of absence he took last season. Signing with the Jets for this upcoming season was seen here as a way for him to restart his career in a place/amongst an organization and fans that know and support him. Rypien was a definite fan favorite here in Peg Sheety, many of us here considered him the quintessential "blue collar man's" hockey player. He ended up going undrafted as a Junior player, so he went around to various teams on his own trying to get a tryout. The (then) Manitoba Moose gave him one, and he made an immediate impression on the staff and other players here. Just one year later, the Canucks signed him to an NHL contract. Everyone here knew him for his fearless, aggressive style of play, especially unique for him since he was considered smaller than your average pro hockey player. The people here loved watching him play for the Moose, especially when he'd start (and win) a fight against an opposing player who was half a foot taller and probably 20-30 pounds heavier than him.

One of the many articles on Rypien in today's newspaper included a bunch of tweets made by several NHL players who played with and/or against him. Regardless of which side of the line they were, you can definitely say that NHL players on the whole are a tight-knit group.
Quote from: NHL Player Tweets
"Sad to hear about Rick Rypien. I was looking forward to playing with him in Winnipeg. Thoughts are with his family and friends." -- Winnipeg Jets’ captain Andrew Ladd.

---

"Unbelievably sad news on the passing of Rick Rypien. One of the toughest players I ever played against. Thoughts and prayers with his family." — Eric Fehr, Winnipeg Jets

---

"Damn... Rick Rypien will be missed. He was the nicest guy, hung with him a few times in VAN... tough as all hell too. Thoughts to his fam." — George Parros, Anaheim Ducks

---

"RIP Rick Rypien. He was a warrior. Hit me so hard my eyes couldn’t focus for 30 secs. Not sure if it was a left or right. #hitmewithboth" — Mike Commodore, Detroit Red Wings

---

"Awful news about the passing of Rick Rypien, Rest in Peace." — Ray Whitney, Edmonton Oilers

---

"Thoughts and prayers go out to Rick Rypien’s family. Another good soldier leaving us too soon!" — Michael Del Zotto, New York Rangers

---

"Tough news to hear about Rick Rypien... another sad day for hockey. played the game as hard as anyone.. my prayers to him and his family." — Matt Moulson, New York Islanders

---

"RIP RIck Rypien. Hockey world takes another hit. Thoughts with his family." — Logan Couture, San Jose Sharks

---

Terrible news about Rick Rypien...thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family...always sad to see a death in the hockey world #RIP" — Matt Carle, Philadelphia Flyers
FULL ARTICLE LINK - http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/Rypiens-death-hits-NHL-hard-127864498.html

R.I.P. Rypper. Hope you've found the peace you were seeking.
  :prayers:

Offline Tom Green

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1759 on: August 20, 2011, 08:08:41 AM »

JPHiP Radio (15/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sloth Love Chunks - Indipiina Alternative Box