JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 4minute - Volume Up

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 342422 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Rant of the Day
« Reply #1440 on: April 14, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
Random thought: "Bud" Selig tries to clampdown his image with MLB "business partners" in a prid pro quo fashion.  Like Disney enterprises, you say bad things and the mob comes down on you, hard.  He's a bad man disguised as a buffoonish accounting clerk.

p.s. a statue of Selig will be unveiled some time in the near future at Miller Park in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:17:43 PM by Saburo »

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Five more years...
« Reply #1441 on: April 15, 2010, 12:03:00 AM »
A friend of mine is a long-suffering Cubs fan (yes, Hawaii has MLB fans depsite news to the contrary) since the 80s when they kicked away a trip to the World Series in 1984 to the Padres.  Not sure if I ever addressed the horror of 2003 to him; he's now married with twins and probably has more on his plate than the National League Central division.

But I found this piece on Big League Stew about the albatross that is Alfonso Soriano and I thought of my friend once more.  FIVE (5) more years of stuck shit in the outfield.  Five more years of a financial burden for a team that has enough constipation and front-office ineptness.  Five more years of a Stonehenge that's just inert and dead and won't see a .350 OBP until the Republican Party nominates Oprah for President of the USA.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:17:32 PM by Saburo »

Offline Ping

• Hiatus King
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Reina <3 4Eva!
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #1442 on: April 15, 2010, 09:51:55 AM »
^ It's for reasons like that I'm happy the Steinbrenners own the Yankees and Brian Cashman is GM XD

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
"That's my mound!"
« Reply #1443 on: April 23, 2010, 09:15:23 PM »
Anyone catch A-Rod's latest adventure yesterday vs. Oakland?  You had the karate chop on Bronson Aroyo, the "HA!" at the Toronto infielder (forget his name) and now...  crossing the sacred pitchers mound?!  Like they say, you CAN'T make this stuff up!

ESPN had no video of the alleged diss but this blog does.  And an interesting perspective from a Yankee voice saying A-Rod should have shut the 'eff up, which right or wrong is an unrealistic proposition.

Still I LOVE this story and love Braden's quotes, all of which are hall-of-fame quality.

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1444 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »
^that was interesting, i never know of this rule, but its an interesting rule in any case :nervous
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1445 on: April 23, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #1446 on: April 24, 2010, 07:39:29 AM »
I'm no A-rod fan by any stretch but I hate baseball's "unwritten rule" bull crap even more (never even heard of this don't cross the pitchers mound during a dead ball thing).

Plus Braden seems like a psychopath. :lol: Surprised he even made it to the big leagues when he lets something so trivial set him off.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Subway for everybody!
« Reply #1447 on: April 27, 2010, 01:20:05 AM »
Ryan Howard: five-year extension, $125 million.  Even a coworker of mine who is a very casual baseball observer said it's nuts.

I guess happy days are here again since the owners have the big buck$!  Also Albert Pujols, who seriously deserves $30 million per season, starting.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1448 on: May 05, 2010, 03:06:23 AM »
don't tase me bro!!

stupid Phillies fan XD

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Ernie Harwell, Detroit Tigers broadcaster, dies at 92
« Reply #1449 on: May 05, 2010, 04:15:01 AM »
Ernie Harwell died today.  Baseball is the lesser for it.

This story about a surprise appearance at a charity event, months after Harwell's condition was revealed, is one incident that will stay with me forever.  A life filled with greatness and generosity.  RIP, Ernie.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1450 on: May 05, 2010, 04:20:54 AM »
don't tase me bro!!
I see the pros and cons.  On balance, I'd think they'd have the good sense to have cause before using brute force.  I don't think MLB has a Monica Seles problem (tennis tourneys have their own issues regarding quacks running on the court during play).

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #1451 on: May 05, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
That's entertainment!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1452 on: May 05, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Read that Milton Bradley bolted in the middle of a game yesterday after getting benched.

Got to the The Last Chance, no?

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #1453 on: May 06, 2010, 07:17:38 AM »
Aw man Ernie :cry:

I always thought he and Pat Summerall had the most epic voices in sports.

They should just start a policy of immediately tasing everyone that runs on the field and banning them from all pro sporting events for life.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1454 on: May 06, 2010, 06:26:20 PM »
OT: I'm amazed at the lack of security in major tennis tournaments -- they've learned nothing since Monica Seles got stabbed on the court.

These loons...  well I think we're a long way before a taser shot becomes the norm, thankfully.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1455 on: May 08, 2010, 11:17:25 PM »
Ernie Harwell, one of the all time greats along with Chick Hearn and Bob Cole, and a few local guys here. ESPN's Jon Miller doesn't even come close, even tho he is my current fave.

whoa, it just started pouring in Boston which means C.C. Sabathia doesn't get the win! ARRGH My Fantasy Team is getting pounded lol

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1456 on: May 12, 2010, 02:20:26 AM »
Smiled at the pro-Yankee voices tweeting after Dallas Braden's perfect game.  Oooh, how they wanted that gem broken up (e.g. bunt single in the 9th).  But in the hours (much less days) following, it has got to be one of the great stories of this baseball season, A-Rod mound gossip or not.

Braden's back story, his grandmother, and even A-Rod's response fit like a glove.  Just a great BASEBALL story.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1457 on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:17 PM »
Trey Hillman canned right after Zach Greinke's glorious first win of the season (i.e. Royals bullpen unable to choke up three-run lead).  Jeez...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Down goes Frazier!!
« Reply #1458 on: May 16, 2010, 10:16:16 PM »
Mariano Rivera gave up a GRAND SLAM to Jason Kubel?!!  That sounds like Mike Tyson getting ass-whooped by Buster Douglas...

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Joe Sheehan Newsletter
« Reply #1459 on: May 19, 2010, 10:12:47 PM »
http://joesheehanbaseball.blogspot.com/

Joe Sheehan, late of Baseball Prospectus, has started a newsletter.  I can't think of another baseball writer in all the intarwebs that I'd actually pay real buck$ to read and so it is.  If you're serious about MLB I'd recommend you do the same.

p.s. well, I'd pay to read Joe Posnanski.  And Jonah Keri.

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: 4minute - Volume Up