JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Xia Yi Ci Lian Ai - Falling in Love Next Time

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 342366 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #1780 on: December 11, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Positive "PED" tests give every Amerikkkan sports fans the chance what they've been wanting to do for their entire lives: participate in a witch hunt. Or a lynching.

Enough of this shit already....

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1781 on: December 20, 2011, 07:51:30 AM »
Darvish sweepstakes go to the Rangers, the AL West is the division on fire
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1782 on: December 20, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
Hope he can hack Texas summers.  I guess the pressure is on him to sign but let's wait and see how it plays out.

I'd rather have Darvish than C.J. Wilson.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1783 on: December 31, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »

Offline stax

• Lucy Liu-ser
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1784 on: December 31, 2011, 01:15:44 AM »
Hope he can hack Texas summers.  I guess the pressure is on him to sign but let's wait and see how it plays out.

I'd rather have Darvish than C.J. Wilson.

You'd rather have a completely untested against American bats and schedule pitcher over a guy with stellar seasons the past two years?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1785 on: December 31, 2011, 01:53:36 AM »
You'd rather have a completely untested against American bats and schedule pitcher over a guy with stellar seasons the past two years?

C.J. Wilson is stellar?

Offline stax

• Lucy Liu-ser
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1786 on: December 31, 2011, 04:49:26 AM »
200 innings a season, a 140 ERA+, a 1.2 WHIP, and a low home run rate despite playing in a hitter's park? Yes, he has been.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Iwakuma to the M's
« Reply #1787 on: January 06, 2012, 03:38:56 AM »
Re: Iwakuma Hisashi signing with the M's for only $1.5 million plus incentives...

Interesting tweet by Christina Kahrl of BP/ESPN: Real story on Iwakuma's bargain pricing a yr. after his 1st posting: leverage is what teams wield, not players. Darvish, Dice-K exceptions.

And this from Dave Cameron: Players who got more guaranteed $ for 2012 than Iwakuma: Yuniesky Betancourt, Fernando Rodney, Nate McLouth.

Yikes!

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1788 on: January 09, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »
HOF day and only one makes it: Barry Larkin.

Saw an interesting tweet about the BBWAA electing only 16 players in the last ten years.  Meanwhile, the NFL HOF has over FIFTY!

And so it goes...

Offline stax

• Lucy Liu-ser
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1789 on: January 09, 2012, 11:09:18 PM »
Stax-ballot:

Barry Larkin
Jeff Bagwell
Rafael Palmeiro
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell

And I go back and forth on Larry Walker and Fred McGriff

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
HOF Monday Madness
« Reply #1790 on: January 10, 2012, 01:55:10 AM »
Stax-ballot:

Barry Larkin
Jeff Bagwell
Rafael Palmeiro
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell

That looks about right.  I haven't filled out any virtual ballots...  My Twitter feed is BLOWN up, particularly directed at one BBWAA dope who submitted a BLANK ballot.  I mean, if you don't like baseball then make room for someone who DOES.

More and more sabermetric types are opposing Palmeiro's candidacy on pure merit, which is amazing.

Offline stax

• Lucy Liu-ser
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: HOF Monday Madness
« Reply #1791 on: January 10, 2012, 04:27:18 AM »
Stax-ballot:

Barry Larkin
Jeff Bagwell
Rafael Palmeiro
Edgar Martinez
Mark McGwire
Tim Raines
Alan Trammell

That looks about right.  I haven't filled out any virtual ballots...  My Twitter feed is BLOWN up, particularly directed at one BBWAA dope who submitted a BLANK ballot.  I mean, if you don't like baseball then make room for someone who DOES.

More and more sabermetric types are opposing Palmeiro's candidacy on pure merit, which is amazing.

Raffy is more borderline than a 3000/500 guy should be, but he's in.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1792 on: January 11, 2012, 01:21:49 AM »
Rob Neyer previews the 2013 Hall ballot: http://mlb.sbnation.com/2012/1/10/2697745/hall-of-fame-2013-craig-biggio

Man, we thought "stats vs scouts" was a messy war. Just wait until the ballots are tallied this time next year. I just know I'm going to be utterly SICKENED by the sheer anger to come. And then the Hall of Fame will be become like so much talk radio: an concept with the capacity to insult more than honor.

Be very afraid.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #1793 on: January 11, 2012, 08:21:14 AM »
Congrats To Barry Larkin, class fuckin act. I thought at least Bagwell would get in - he helped make the Astros relevant again.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Hall of muck
« Reply #1794 on: January 11, 2012, 08:29:11 AM »
I thought at least Bagwell would get in - he helped make the Astros relevant again.

Dark times are definitely ahead with the Moral Baseball Writers of AmeriKKKa politicizing the process.

Per Joe Sheehan in Tuesday's Newsletter:

That's what the Hall of Fame voting has become: the validation of the wrong-headed ideas of two decades ago by a group of people that has nothing left in the bag but those ideas -- and the vote. That works for the electorate, and it may even work for the Hall's administration -- like baseball itself, the Hall is too great to be ruined by even the worst management, but likes to test the theory -- but it's turning the Hall into just another battleground in the fight between the old ways of understanding baseball and the new ones. That fight is degrading the honor of getting into the Hall of Fame. If you think the recent duels have been ugly, wait until next year, when the writers, who were shocked, shocked to learn that illegal and potentially dangerous drugs were being used by professional baseball players to help them play baseball better -- 30 or so years after the publication of Ball Four --  get the opportunity to wax poetic about the evils of one very specific, recent and ill-understood form of (gasp!) cheating.

Can't say I'll be looking forward to it... In other news, don't pitchers and catchers report in 40 days or so?

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1795 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
Listen to Joe Sheehan and Rany Jazayerli go at it on the BBWAA and the bad moon rising to come: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-baseball-show-rany-joe/id423737550

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze

Offline stax

• Lucy Liu-ser
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1797 on: January 14, 2012, 06:32:50 AM »
Excellent trade, esp paired with the Yankees signing Kuroda. They shore up their awful rotation with a young arm they control for a while, giving up only a piece of diminishing value who they had no position for.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #1798 on: January 19, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »
Rangers signed Yu Darvish

Offline stax

• Lucy Liu-ser
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1799 on: January 19, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
Rangers signed Yu Darvish

For $60 million for 6 years. Which when combined with the 51.7 to negotiate works out to the Rangers paying an average of $18.6 million a year for him. Four starting pitchers in MLB history have signed contracts earning an average annual value larger than that

CC Sabathia (twice, original and renegotiated extension)
Cliff Lee
Roy Halladay
Johan Santana

He's good, but that's a TON of money to pour into an unproven talent (see: Daisuke).

JPHiP Radio (18/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Elva Hsiao - Xia Yi Ci Lian Ai - Falling in Love Next Time