JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Taeyeon - I (feat. Verbal Jint)

Author Topic: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread  (Read 306107 times)

Offline resop2

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Fanfics Review / General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1520 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:41 PM »
Now that Ai-chan has graduated and Gaki-san soldiers on,  I am left with a couple of fundamental questions:

How do shippers of couples in generational groups deal with their OTP being split by graduation?

* Denial ("oh, they'll still always be together")?
* Anger ("Tsunku, what the heck, man?")?
* Acceptance ("Both of them will probably start hanging out with other people, but I will still support them")?
* Sour Grapes ("It was probably all a work.  They were just playing things up for the camera"?

And, what have been the most shocking graduation splits for shippers?

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #1521 on: October 07, 2011, 09:55:40 PM »
The most shocking split for me was W(I know it wasn't through graduation, but whatever), then finding out that they weren't all that close, that really made me take a step back and realize, "Hey, maybe a lot of the pairings are just what we want to see, rather than what is." I mean, yeah, I know that some of the girls really are good friends, but on the other hand, a lot of the closeness is just for show.

I know that doesn't seem to be answering the question you asked, but it was important to me, my first realization that they're human and this is a job for them.

Nowadays, how do I deal with a graduation splitting a pairing? I continue to write, that's how.

For me, the real world and the fanfic world are totally separate. In the real world, there are far too many variables to say for certain if pairings actually exist. In the fanfic world, Takagaki will always be together and sexy. Or maybe Tanagaki, Gakishige, Takaiida. Yeah, it's nice to find pictures of my favorite pairing IRL and fawn over them, but at the end of the day, those question and variables are still there.

Also, Takagaki forever! :sweatdrop:

Offline Rayle

• Member+
« Reply #1522 on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »
AU is king!  :lol:

Uh, but yeah, I can relate. Rokkies is my OT3, but I can't really "see it" anymore because I know that Reina's not actually close to anyone in MM beyond being workmates. All of the Rokkies MCs for their last tour together just kept rubbing it in my face, what with KameShige having all these personal stories about each other and Reina being left with MM anecdotes.  :cry: And of course, pretty much all of Charmikitty.  :cry: XD

And that is why AU is king. It gives us the chance to play with dynamics and scenarios that we don't get irl.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1523 on: October 08, 2011, 07:50:47 AM »
^I agree, AU is king!

This is why I rarely if ever write fic set in the "RL" continuity. I rather throw them into alternate universes and see what happens. XD My ReinAi still lives on in my fic-verses. But then again I'm not particularly set on any one pairing since I'm only a huge fan of Ai, so anything goes really, as long as she remains the central figure in my stories. Haha. XD

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1524 on: October 13, 2011, 08:06:27 AM »
i secretly believe that fanfic is going to be the literature from which future generations will try and glean all sorts of deep meanings from.

so i will put it down for posterity here: hamlet is just an emo dick. and we write fluff pieces just for the satisfaction of seeing our preferred ships kiss.

"I'm still blaming Sayu for my lolicon tendencies now." ~Essy

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #1525 on: November 09, 2011, 08:28:16 AM »
Uh, hey girls & boys :mon hi:

I think this is the right place to post this:
I'm trying to pick up from where I left off with my first ever fanfic, but it's been 1.5 years since I wrote the last chapter and I just don't feel like I'm getting the tone right in the chapter I'm writing now. Even though it wouldn't really matter too much (considering the existing story), I'm a bit stubborn and am trying to keep this along the original timeline as intended.

My general question: any suggestions for how to continue with a smooth transition into this new chapter?

Many thanks :)

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #1526 on: November 09, 2011, 06:31:06 PM »
Man, it's hard to continue a story after so long. If I ever lose my place in a story, I go back and reread it.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1527 on: November 09, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
Tell me about it. Even if I do go back to a story, I tend to change the way it's been written. Lmao.

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #1528 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:39 PM »
Re-reading the fic is the best thing to do, unless you have a lot of detailed notes to help remind you on how you wanted to write the fic in the first place, but even though there are plenty of notes, how it's written might change. I don't see that as so much of a problem for me. I think the fic will still be enjoyable.

Offline Deft-Monkey

• Banana Picker
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Just like my basement's anti-escape mechanism
« Reply #1529 on: November 10, 2011, 09:12:40 AM »
Yeah, the more I think about it, my plan for this chapter one and a half years ago would've forced me to change the tone anyway. Seeing as its only 2 chapters long as of my last update, I've been able to re-read the fic quite a few times haha. Cheers for the responses and your promptness!

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #1530 on: December 06, 2011, 12:58:54 PM »
Hi~ long time no see. :D So the other night I couldn't sleep so I ended up rereading my "Milestone..." fic till 7 in the morning, and I'm like "did I really write that?" :lol: So long ago. I esp. laughed at this part

Quote from: Last chapter
[Aya] "But I know there will be a day when I'll have to let you go."

"Why do you say that?" Miki wondered.

"Because, you're going to leave me and marry a fine man and have all his children." Aya busted out laughing.

"Ehh? No way!" Miki shoved her. "That's not funny."
I wrote this back in 2006, and now what has happened? Magic!  :shocked: LoL XD I mean, I guess it would've been inevitable to any of them. :P But I thought it was funny.

I also saw ChrNo's (RIP) dissections of every chapter I posted, along with her cute Pokemon-esque images. Breaks my heart.  I'm glad she liked it.

Sigh, I really want to get back to finishing my fics, I hate leaving things unfinished. I think I have two fics pushed several pages back in the thread, one of them I'm stuck on because I need a filler chapter to make a transition to the important chapters. Usually filler chapters are supposed to be easy to write, right? But I'm sure having trouble coming with one. Since they're not really important, I should just BS through it and get right to the main part, huh? :lol:

Offline gracula

• Blame Sayu for
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1531 on: December 06, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
^ I loved that fic. Thank you for writing it.

Don't write anything too prophetic. Don't suppose you'd care to write an Ishiyoshi?

"I'm still blaming Sayu for my lolicon tendencies now." ~Essy

Offline Beecubed

• Charmy Follower 4 Life. <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • I am of IshiYoshi faith.
« Reply #1532 on: December 06, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »
Actually, DO Me DO Me, I haven't read Milestone, but I have I read April no Aho... that was actually one of the first fics I read on a whim a long time ago when I first started out (and was reluctant to read anything besides IshiYoshi  :nervous ), and it made me kinda fall for MikiEri. I was rooting for them the whole way.

It's been so long since you last updated, but I'll always be waiting for that one. Even if you just write fillers - better than nothing, I say.  :heart:

Offline DO Me DO Me

• °Erien Godmother
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • K-M-E-I Kamei! K-A-M-E Kyamei!
« Reply #1533 on: December 06, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
^ I loved that fic. Thank you for writing it.

Don't write anything too prophetic. Don't suppose you'd care to write an Ishiyoshi?
You're welcome :D But I think that's part of my writing though, not so much as writing prophetic stuff but taking a real incident and writing the events that lead up to it. Ishiyoshi? Hmm, I don't know, most of my stuff have been about my biases: rokkies and GAM. If I ever get through my other fics I'll try branching out to other members.
Actually, DO Me DO Me, I haven't read Milestone, but I have I read April no Aho... that was actually one of the first fics I read on a whim a long time ago when I first started out (and was reluctant to read anything besides IshiYoshi  :nervous ), and it made me kinda fall for MikiEri. I was rooting for them the whole way.

It's been so long since you last updated, but I'll always be waiting for that one. Even if you just write fillers - better than nothing, I say.  :heart:
Thanks! "Better than nothing." I always say that too. ;)  I definitely want to finish that one, there's so much Kamemoto craziness it needs to be written!

Offline glorificus

« Reply #1534 on: December 30, 2011, 07:38:56 AM »
Hey guys! I know I’m non-existent in the forum, but I used to lurk a lot over the fanfic section a few years ago.

Anyway, I really want to re-read this story that had Miki and Miyabi having this sort of competition where they had to make their target fall in love with them or kiss them, something like that. I remember that Maki Goto and Airi were sisters and Risako was bullied.

I tried to find it several times because it was goooood, but I never had any luck.
Could anyone help me out with this? Please! I’d be really grateful!

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1535 on: December 31, 2011, 02:35:08 AM »
^ I think I recall that story. It was written by Loser-chan (I think), but she took all her stories off the forum already? Can't be sure though, but I'll try to help look...it might not have been her. XD Just...I have to go to work now. ^^; Good luck!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

Offline writerjunkie

• Junior Moderator
  • Member+
  • KameShige= <3 ^_^
« Reply #1536 on: January 01, 2012, 01:30:30 AM »
I thought it was something Yuu-chan wrote. She does sort of make some crack fics. XD If it is Loser's fic though then yes, it's gone. All the fics were deleted. T____T
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:06:24 AM by writerjunkie »

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #1537 on: January 01, 2012, 06:34:28 PM »
I remember that story too.  Man, it's been a while. 

I miss Loser's fics. There was a time when one of her fics was already she deleted, but the thread still existed. I only read the story through ppl's reply quotes. XD
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline glorificus

« Reply #1538 on: January 02, 2012, 04:37:14 AM »
Awwww man, too bad they were deleted! =(

Thanks for answering you guys! =)

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #1539 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:28 PM »
It's been a while, so I guess it's about time for another question corner!

To all writers: what kind of environment do you find most conducive for writing? What conditions?

To readers: Where and when do you find yourself reading more? XD

As a writer, I tend to like writing at night. In dark, unlit rooms. Preferably with tiny barred windows where I can't see the sky. Sounds like I'd be happy in a jail I also write well with the right kind of music playing. Basically, in order to write, I have to shut out the world. Hence a dark room, music to block out external influences and just dive into my own world.

As a reader, I read pretty much every time I have spare time. Which is when I'm not sleeping, showering, or working. I can read while eating, read while I'm pooping, read while I'm on the bus/train, read while I'm walking (and almost get run down by anything from motorcycles to effing big tour buses). I'm a bit of a strange case, so yeah. I really like to read, and usually I'll be reading real books haha. If I'm speaking specifically about fanfics, I usually do that at home, in front of my laptop, when I have nothing better to do. XD

So I leave the floor open to everyone. :D Quite curious to hear the answers!

Currently writing:

On Hold:

I'm also on AO3!

JPHiP Radio (26/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Taeyeon - I (feat. Verbal Jint)