JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bean Bag - Aikoaiko

Author Topic: The Turntable-izm Thread  (Read 12111 times)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Turntable-izm Thread
« on: March 12, 2006, 07:26:29 AM »
The Turntable-izm Thread

Who likes pure scratching, turntable-izm? My homie did some scratching on those in some club on Whyte. And he turned me on to some of the Asian legends:

DJ Qbert. aka Richard Quitevis. uses turntable as instrument. Wave Twisters is a must watch. WOW.
links:
http://www.thedjlist.com/djs/QBERT/
http://www.djqbert.com/

DJ Neil Armstrong. One of the leaders in the new generation. Hails from NYC.

Offline ctz

• secret archeologist
  • ecchi
  • Member+
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 09:26:05 AM »
I tried scratching a while ago, it's more difficult than it seems.
coot is ctz

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 11:39:44 AM »
one of my friends is a dj, I heard he's like one of the best at beat juggling(making your own beat with two records) in the area. He's does dj battles and stuff too. and of course parties :P

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 03:03:14 PM »
DJ Q-Bert vs. D-Styles - Hot Sauce in the Dickhole

:w00t:

Offline MochaNutz

• ecchi
  • Member+
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:29:06 PM »
I wanted to be a DJ before, but my hopes for it faded quickly when I found out prices for equipment and keeping up with records =P  I think I woulda done well in it though.

There was this one time at a Rave I went to, (it was the fad in highschool back in the day =P) Q-Bert had a set for about an hour.  People were just standing in awe listening to him.  It was sick

Hmm, DJs I know.  DJ A-Trak is Kanye's DJ now.  There's 5th Platoon with Rolly Rho, I-Emerge, Neil Armstrong and whoever else is in it, Turntable Monks from Toronto i think, thats about all I know.

Neil Armstrong has some nice Mixtapes which I have (i have bittersweet, original, 2 original, non-stop, and an R&B one thats nice), but seeing him live one time, he sucks =P  Maybe it was just a bad day, or maybe he really is just a bedroom DJ.  We went to a club where he was playing at, and we were all excited to see him, since his mixtapes were cool.  But dang, his timing was off, he'd kill the crowd with bad selection of songs, and sometimes he just didn't mix the songs together.  We were disappointed.
word.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:42:27 AM »
Some think he's just a DJ. Just the guy Uncle Phil throws out of the Banks household - but DJ Jazzy Jeff (coming to E-Town February 23rd) is one of the industry's BEST, here he is in Shanghai:

[yt]FU4aSojKIKI[/yt]

here's a whole collection of legends, DJ Qbert (coming to town tmr!! first time in 5 years MAN!) DJ Flare, etc. from STUDIOJAMTV.com

[yt]yAOrkrvfqew[/yt]

Offline shadowstar

• Tuffty's #1 fangirl
  • Global Moderator
  • Member++
  • Idols Inc.
    • positivegenki
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 06:59:29 AM »
I wanted to take 'lessons' on this, since they were offering it in my old school, but it was too far so I didn't go.

But I'm hoping to buy just a simple turntable and practice at home, I know a few people who DJ at clubs too, so they could probably help me out XD Then I can probably get a part-time thing DJ'ing at the clubs I go to when I'm good enough.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 07:22:30 AM »
My friend just gave me his mixtape, I still haven't listened to it... Maybe I should.

Offline madambaster

The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 10:44:50 AM »
I just started learning how to DJ, but I've been listening to turntablism for a while now. I only have one turntable (Stanton STR8-100), so I usually just use the beats from Qbert's Skratching video to scratch over or a CD player. I hope to compete in DMC someday. :lol:

If you haven't seen the documentary Scratch, you should see it. That and the follow up, Scratch: All the Way Live which is a concert of Jazzy Jay, Z-Trip, the X-Ecutioners, and Mix Master Mike.

That Jazzy Jeff video was pretty cool. My favorite routine that I've heard is probably DJ Kentaro's winning set from the 2002 DMC Championships.

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 08:47:31 PM »
I saw scratch a few years ago. Haven't seen the follow-up though. Sounds awesome.

Offline chera

• ecchi
  • Member+
The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »
Turntables rock.  I remember listening to virgin vynil classical music LPs (never re-released onto CD) on turntables in my old university's music library.  Pure heaven.

DJ'ing is fun, and beat mixing (while maintaining a good vibe) is a very creative challenge.

But most scratching is over-rated.  Too many people who don't know what they're doing, and sound like shit in the process.

Offline electric mole

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: The Turntable-izm Thread
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:20 AM »
SPIN
"about a mysterious DJ who is sent to a busy city block to mend a series of tragic events that occur in our everyday lives."

pretty cool

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 01:29:49 AM »
:lol:

Back from the dead! DJ Kentaro is my fave turntablist, hands down. Favourite vid!

Live Jam - DJ Kentaro ft. Kinoshita Shinichi

Offline sanzoku

• Member+
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:05:14 AM »
Turntables are super fun,

classic video.

my favorite vid of Kentaro.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 08:14:04 AM »
Turntables are super fun,
Welcome to JPH!P, sanzoku! :welcome

Offline sanzoku

• Member+
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 08:29:59 AM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »
nice tastes sanzoku. Here some ol Filipino classic cuts!

Offline J-Triumf

• AKA J-T the smalla balla
  • Magazine
  • Member+
  • まじで?マジデ???
    • JTriumf
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 01:09:07 PM »
My memory's a blur so this recap may be a bit disjointed. :nervous

For anyone in the San Francisco Bay Area, a jazz club in the Fillmore called Yoshi's is having an ongoing bi-weekly series of shows called Audio Alchemy, presented by producer Dan the Automator, in which various DJs are invited to do their thing. I discovered this place in the most unlikely of ways, but it turned out to be a very welcome stumble. This past weekend was headlined by Mix Master Mike of Invisibl Skratch Piklz and Beastie Boys fame, along with Shortkut as the venue's resident DJ.

When I first arrived at the place I felt kinda awkward. The restaurant section was transformed into a lounge/club environment, and since I came alone I couldn't help but feel a bit weird about it. Shortkut was handling the dance floor with very basic mixes of random hip hop and funk songs, and I still wasn't sure what to expect from this whole thing just yet. It was starting to feel like my failed attempt at seeing Ai Kago in LA...except for three key differences: 1) I didn't have to travel far, 2) the music was much better, and most importantly 3) I actually got to see the person I came to see.

After about an hour of basic stuff, Mix Master Mike came in and took over, and compared to Shortkut's warmup his mix was all over the place with constant tempo changes and stuff I wasn't quite sure he was doing due to everyone in the crowd being taller than me and blocking my view. :P I really started feeling his work when he settled into a slow, bouncy routine that eventually transitioned into Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", but he definitely had the crowd going the whole time.

Later on he ended his set and we all were instructed to go to another part of the venue, a room that looked more suited for musical performances, where the in-house jazz band was messing around with silly covers of old-school rap songs. Eventually Dan the Automator came out and reintroduced Mike who started doing another set while the band played along...I've always liked the combination of live instruments with electronic/digital sounds, so it was great seeing it play out like this. After a while the band slowly phased themselves out as Shortkut came out to do a bunch of crazy shit with Mike, and apparently DJ Apollo was backstage, so he got called out to hang with his boys for a bit. Allegedly Qbert was also in the building, with Dan trying to call out for him and Mike even stopping to contact him by phone. :lol:

The turntable setups were interesting...I haven't paid much attention to the turntablist scene so I don't know how long this has been going on, but instead of having boxes of vinyl records, these guys had their mixers hooked up to laptops while each turntable had one singular white disc. It's a pretty awesome way to have access to a big sound library without the clunkiness of having to carry a bunch of records and constantly swap them physically.

Not my videos...a bunch of other people were recording this stuff:

Watching these two veterans go at it the way they did was indeed impressive but also intimidating. I was in awe at how much control these guys had over everything that came out of the speakers, especially from my perspective as a remixer who resorts to ghetto hacked-together software-only methods to integrate a very basic turntablist influence into my beats.

The night may have started out awkward, but I'm so glad I spent the $20 and risked walking the Fillmore at night to see this go down. The experience was inspiring and is making me rethink my own approach to music making. Even now my ears are still ringing, though it might be a problem with the sound system they have there--I spent a lot of time right next to the speakers in the two LA music shows I went to earlier this year and didn't have any hearing problems afterwards. XD But I'm definitely considering coming back for future shows (Just Blaze in two weeks, Blackalicious next month), and I'll try not to be alone next time.
ねぇ、笑って?
J-Triumf @ SoundCloud - Twitter - Tumblr - CuriousCat - IT'S CRAZY!!!!!

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 08:44:37 AM »
^ FUCK. Love to be there. Mix master Mike is coming to the Grey Cup festivities here at month's end - so might check it out.

Meanwhile. THE LEGEND. THE ONE. THE ONLY DJ Qbert:

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
dj babu

dj krush

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Bean Bag - Aikoaiko