JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sistar - How Dare You

Author Topic: Friday's Children are Full of Woe (a continuing story)  (Read 40283 times)

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Friday's Children are Full of Woe
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »
Man... the way the story is written, it's as if you want us to want Keita killed. Not that I mind, because I mean who the hell leaves the door open and openly gropes someone... yeah. Anyway, I'm looking forward to that 10+ chapters of fluff!

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 06:27:07 PM »
I'm thoroughly disappointed!!!
Where is the Keita POV?

and HA! HA! at your selfcontrol - good for us, good for us

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 10:30:32 PM »
I didn't think anyone would want to read Keita's pov.  Here's some food for thought:

My life is so great right now.  I'm making out with my girlfriend on her bed.  And she's good!  Luckiest guy on Earth.  That's me.

Then something strange happens.  Reality sets in again.

Her best friend walks in on us. 

"Hey, Aya-chan!  The front door was unlocked, so I-"

At first I don't realise 'cause I'm so into Aya.  Nothing else can distract me from her, but then I feel her pushing me off, and something at the back of my mind tells me that the door is open and that we should stop what we're going right now.  We both roll up.  I fix my hair out of habit.

"Oh, don't let me interrupt," her friend says, and she backs out of the door.

Fujimoto Miki.  That girl will be the end of this relationship.  I just know it.  I tried to like her at first.  She's Aya's best friend, so of course I want to be on her good side.

But the more I've started to hang around, the more she treats me like some disease.  She avoids hanging out when I'm around, and I feel all this hostility coming from her.  I've taken to being just barely civil around her.  I kind of treat her like a kid so that maybe she'll realise how silly she's being and back off.

There are two reasons why I think she could be acting like that around me.

One is that she likes me and is somehow angry that I've chosen Aya over her.

The other is that she's really protective of Aya and is jealous of me 'cause now they spend less time together.

I doubt it's the first option.

I feel Aya get off the bed, and I look up at her.  Her look says "I'm sorry," but I don't really feel it's honest.  She leaves the bedroom, and I'm left there alone.  I can't hear what they're talking about, but she's gone long enough to make me feel awkward just sitting there.

The truth is, I don't think Aya likes me very much.  It really kind of sucks because I liked her a lot.

I try to do things that I think she'll be interested in, but I'm not very creative.  I can't think quickly, and I don't have enough experience with girls.  People might think I'm this huge player just 'cause I'm famous, but I've only had one serious girlfriend before Aya.  We were childhood friends, so it just worked out better.  I was way more comfortable around her, and when I suggested boring things to do, she didn't mind because it's not like I needed to take her on a trip to the Savannah in order to impress her.  I'm not really sure why we broke up.  We just drifted away.  I found this new career, and she went off to another school.  Sometimes things fall apart senselessly.

But with Aya, I try to be normal because I think that's what she needs in life.  She's always got her hands full with being an idol, and believe me, I understand how stressful it can be.  I take her on dates to go see movies and go to dinner.  It's hard to be in public places alone with her because of the attention we get from the magazines.  Just a few weeks ago, we had a bit of a scandal.

But the more normal I try to be, the more I sense that she's bored.  She doesn't tell me, but I'm not that dim.  I can tell when a girl is bored.  I'm just not very good at conveying my own feelings to her.  I don't know how to apologise properly for it, or I don't know how to tell her that I think it's a good thing to be a little boring sometimes when our lives are so hectic.

I guess we don't see eye-to-eye on that.

And then there are the things she talks about... Miki and work.  It's always about one of those two.  I don't mind hearing about these things, but when it's all she ever talks about, it irks me.  I get it, they're best friends and they do everything together, but sometimes I feel like I know Miki better than I know my own girlfriend.  How messed up is that?

I know I'm losing her.  I'm positive that Miki must be applying some sort of pressure for her to break up with me.  I know that one day she's going to call me and end it, so nowadays, every time my phone rings, my heart sinks because I think it's that final e-mail.  That final call.  The one telling me that I'm a nice guy, but...

But would I really be that heartbroken?  Of course I really like her, but if we don't click, we don't click.  She can be fun to hang out with, and she really is such a good kisser, but I'm not a shallow guy.  I need a little more than that to keep me in something big like this.  If that's all I'm going to get from her, then Miki can have her back.  I don't want to be "the boyfriend."  The guy that sometimes shows up to help fix light bulbs and screen doors.  I want to be a part of her life, and since that's not going to happen, I may as well get out of it while I still have some pride.

In the middle of contemplating all of this, Aya comes back to the room.  The first thing I notice is that she's alone.  I suspect she's invited Miki to stay over, so I wonder what's going on.

"Where'd she go?" I ask.

"Miki-chan went home.  She'll come over another day," Aya replies with a sigh.

She sounds half annoyed at me, half annoyed at Miki.  I'm not quite sure what I've done to inspire anger, but girls are weird.  All of them.  Sometimes they get all big over something that isn't worth anything.

"Oh," I mumble, looking down at my hands.  Girls also have this natural ability to make me feel guilty even when I've done absolutely nothing wrong.  "Sorry."

Sorry for being in the way.  Sorry that you don't like me.  Sorry that Miki doesn't like me.

"It's okay," she says. 

Purely perfunctory forgiveness.  She doesn't mean it.  I can tell that much.  Just from the tone of her voice.

Man, this sucks.  Why can't my own girlfriend be into me??  Why is she so into her best friend??  I mean, if Miki was a guy, I would be raging with jealousy.  I'd be after them all the time to make sure nothing happened between them.  But Miki's not a guy, and so I can't be jealous.

And yet... I really really am.  I'm insanely jealous.

My anger turns into a hopeless whisper in my mind that tells me that the good guys always finish last.  I bitterly wonder if other girls are allowed in the race, too, because it feels like Miki's winning the gold medal while I haven't even got my running shoes on.

So what do I do?  Break up with her before she can call me up and do it?  Wait until she does it?  Why is she even going out with me still?  I'm being used for some purpose beyond installing new light bulbs, and I'm not sure what it is.  Is it a power struggle?  Is she scared of something?

Whatever.  She can do what she wants.  It's not going to last much longer.

"Want to watch TV?" I ask.

Maybe I can bore her so much that she'll break up with me right now so that I can go home and mope over what an absolute failure this relationship is.

There's a lull in the air, and I can just hear her thoughts.  'You oaf.  You want to watch TV?'  Or whatever.

"Sure, Keita.  Sure."

She says it in such a condescending way, but I don't let on that I've noticed.

We move to the living room and sit down on the couch.  We're not even sitting together.  It's like we're occupying two totally different worlds.  Our legs aren't even touching. 

I pretend to become engrossed in the baseball game, but I can't help noticing that she leaves partway through.  I can hear her typing things on her phone.

Probably sending Miki mail.

'Save me from this horrible baseball-watching monster!'

Or some such insulting thing.

My favourite player hits a homerun.  Lucky guy.

I'll never be the heroic brave knight that rescues the princess.  That's not what Aya wants.  I'm just the ogre.  Someone else is her knight.  Hell, it could be Miki.  For all I care, they can go off and live happily ever after together.  I'll go and find myself someone else.

It was fun while it lasted, Aya, but now it's just a matter of time.

Offline black velvet

• Smut!Slut
  • Member+
  • yoonyul <3
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »
I do have that urge, but I promise that if I write that 10 chapters of fluff I've almost promised (once I finish What Needed to be Done), any angst that appears in it will be resolved.
Hmmm. This only sounds half as nice, you know? Then again, we have to uncover the mystery! (That was part of the deal. :P) Anywho, we do know that Aya and Keita eventually break up, so . . . yeah.

I'm glad you continued this. I recently ran across a picture of Tachibana and actually drooled over him, but now . . . I'm with everyone else on wanting to kill him. Well, I was after reading Miki and Aya's POVs, but after reading his, I think he seriously needs help with women or maybe he just chose the right person for the wrong reasons. Or the right person chose him for the wrong reasons. Poor guy. D:

Actually, poor, poor Miki. She's so affectionate, and when she was calling herself a "lapdog", I couldn't help but laugh over its truthfulness. Also, you pinned down her jealous streak just right. :o I remember her mentioning on DokiMiki that she mostly got upset with Aya over jealousy. xD

Cute. :heart:

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 02:20:27 AM »
Lol at least Keita knows that his continued presence isn't all that appreciated.

Oh, and his assessment of Miki was funny as heck. Reminds me of the Futarigoto where Miki says to Aya that if Aya got married, she would pick a lot of meaningless fights with her husband. Seems like that's exactly how Miki has been treating Keita the boyfriend. XD

And Keita needs to find someone who appreciates him more lol. XD

More please! ^^

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »
Tossing Keita's POV in there was an interesting twist. I mean, it's definitely easy to get caught up in the Keita-bashing ('cuz it's so much fun, for one thing ;D), but in doing so it's easy to forget that he's a person too, with his own feelings and perspectives on the situation. 

The way he's written here, he's like your typical guy. Although he knows how he feels, he doesn't necessarily have the knowledge/ability to communicate to others how he feels. Also, like a typical guy, he thinks that girls overreact to some things that, from a guy's perspective, shouldn't be a big thing.  Out of the three of them, he also seems to be the one who's the most "realistic" in that he realizes that he probably can't compete with Miki and that because of this, Aya likely won't feel for him what he feels for her.

Almost feel sorry for the guy. It's like dead man walkin'.

Even though you wrote this insight into Keita's POV, it's still not gonna stop you from writing more Keita-bashing stuff, right? >:D

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2007, 05:32:10 AM »
That Keita PoV is making me really iffy on the Keita-bashing.... mainly because if I were in a relationship with a Idol/Celebrity I'd probably do/act similar... x.x. I mean gogo Ayaya-Mikitty but poor Keita :(

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Friday's Children are Full of Woe (a continuing story)
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2007, 10:22:34 AM »
you really did it!

I start to feel sympathetic for the guy, I didn't expect these kinds of thoghts from a electronic dictionary without batteries - reminded me of myself. guess that means I'm one as well  :D

Offline Mikan

• The Corruptor Extrodinaire
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2007, 10:43:36 AM »
Wow. you even made ME feel pity for the gy *shakes head*.

But I had to laugh at the girls are weird comments he was putting out. Made me wonder if he was gonna say something like
"Ah, maybe I should just go back to men..."

I knew you couldnt let it rest....another chapter or you think this has done its dash?

Read the complete Doki Doki!!

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2007, 12:53:42 PM »
I've still got a bit more in me for this one!

I'm really glad you guys are sympathising with Keita more.  Yes, he's human, and yes, he's got his own opinion about what's going on.  Poor guy.  He knows he's being jerked around, yet he's trying to be nice.

Losing Grip

Aya called Keita up one evening out of the blue.

"Can you come over now?" she asked.

"Um, now?" Keita asked, surprised.  It was past nine o'clock and he had to wake up at five the next morning.

"Please?" Aya asked desperately.

Something in her voice told him he should go over right away, so he told her to hang on for half an hour and he'd be over as soon as possible.

Keita arrived at Aya's door at nine fifty and he rang the doorbell.  He didn't have to wait long.  The door was thrown open, and before he could say anything, he was pulled into the apartment by a pair of hands.

He found himself pushed up against a wall, being kissed with such vigour that he was shocked that calm Aya could be doing this.  He eagerly participated, however, and soon, Aya was pushing him through the living room and into her bedroom.

He smiled under her kisses and let her push him onto her bed, holding her tightly to him as she eased herself onto him.

"Is this the big emergency?" he asked playfully.

"Mmhmm," she replied.

"You really need to have more emergencies more often," Keita grinned against her lips.

"Shhh," she said, running a hand along his face.  "No talking."

His grin widened even more and he happily played along.

But then when her hands started fumbling with his belt and the zipper to his pants, he grabbed her hands and pushed her away.

"Aya, what's going on?" he asked, sitting up.

"What?" she asked breathlessly, pushing him back down and continuing her attack. 

He took her wrists and pushed her off of him again.

"Slow down," he said.

Aya started at him, jaw dropped.

"Slow down?  Are you even a man?"

Keita frowned angrily.

"No, it's not that I don't want to, but... is there something wrong?  Are you okay?"

"Why?  A girl can't do this to her own boyfriend?  God, I thought you'd be happy," she replied angrily.

"I wouldn't mind, but with the fact that you've been so distant lately, I'm wondering if you've got some other reason for suddenly wanting to get into my pants."

"You- you- I- Arg!"

Aya got up angrily and stalked out of the bedroom.  Quickly doing his zipper and belt back up, Keita followed her.

"Aya, I just-"

She held up a hand.

"No.  Just get out."

"I-"

"Get out," her icy voice repeated.

Without another word, Keita left and Aya sat down against a wall and started to cry.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 10:14:57 PM by OTN1 »

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 12:54:29 PM »

I've just gotten out of the bath when my phone rings.  I pick it up and am very surprised to hear Aya on the line.

"Can you come over now?" she asks.

"Um, now?" I ask.

It's a quarter past nine.  I have to wake up at five to get ready quickly and then leave for filming.  It takes me half an hour to drive to Aya's place from mine, so that means an hour of travelling time, plus whatever sort of thing I have to do at her place. I won't get to bed until quite late.  The one day I decide to take an early night...

"Please?" Aya asks.

She sounds desperate. 

Uh oh, I think.  I hope everything's all right.

Maybe she was followed home or harassed by a stranger.  Or maybe she's got bad news.  Did someone die?

Even though we've been distant ever since her friend walked in on us two weekends ago, I still feel the intense need to help her.  I want to make everything okay between us.  I still really like her. I've been thinking of ways to be more outgoing without changing who I am, and I think there's a lot that I can do.

But first, I've got to go over there and make sure she's okay.  I tell her to wait for half an hour and that I'll be there soon.

I push the speed limit so that I can get there as soon as possible, all the while thinking about what I can do to make Aya happy with me.  Her nineteenth birthday is coming up at the end of June.  I should start planning something nice for her.  Maybe something big to show her that I care.  But not just big.  It has to be fun and meaningful.  It's mid-April now, so I've got a little more time to think about it.

What can I get her? 

A day at the spa? 

No, it has to be something we can do together. 

A musical? 

No, not exciting enough.

I know.  How about a trip?  We can take off for a weekend and go somewhere tropical.  Maybe Okinawa.  Or even better, Guam.

Yeah, that's it.  That's what I'll do.  I'll take her to Guam.  Then we can sit and relax on the beach and forget about all our worries and start anew.

I apply a little pressure to the accelerator and speed up.

I arrive at her apartment at nine-fifty.  I park quickly and jog up the front steps, hopping into the elevator and riding up. 

I really do hope Aya's okay and she's just overreacting about something.

Maybe there's a spider she needs me to kill.  I laugh.  She's done that before.  Called me over to kill a spider.  Of course by the time I got to her place, the spider had long since crawled off into a corner, but she wouldn't let me leave until we scoured her entire apartment.  We never did find it.

Or maybe her kitchen sink has sprung a leak.  That's always possible.  I'm no plumber, but she might not be strong enough to turn valves or do whatever you need to do when your spring a leak.  I don't know.  I've never actually been through one.

But this is pathetic.  Here I am driving to my girlfriend's house, and the only thing I can do is wonder what sort of menial task she's going to assign me.  Is it just me thinking silly things?  Or is it because that's how she treats me - like the handyman that sometimes she goes on dates with and makes out with in private?

I feel something in me deflate until I get to the door and ring the doorbell.

I almost yell when hands grab me and yank me into the apartment. 

It's a set up! I think.  Kidnappers have forced Aya to call me so that they can get the both of us and kill us!

But this kidnapper's hands are soft and small.  This kidnapper's lips are also very very nice.

This kidnapper is my girlfriend.

I'm shocked out of my mind as Aya rams me into a wall and attacks my lips passionately, her hands rubbing my neck and then down my shoulders and arms.  I wake up and kiss back as she reaches behind me and slams the door shut, locking it hastily and quickly letting her hands return to my body.

This girl is on fire!  I can't believe it.  Just when I think things are simmering down between us, she pulls something like this.

This is awesome!

If I end up planning that trip to Guam and every morning begins like this, I think I'll explode.  In lots of ways.

She starts to push me towards her bedroom.  I know the direction well.  We stumble together, stepping all over each other's feet but never once breaking apart.

I smile when we reach our goal and she pushes me down onto the bed.  I bring her down with me, and she climbs on top of me.  This is no girl I'm dating.  This is a woman.  One hundred per cent sultry woman.  Damn, I'm lucky.

"Is this the big emergency?" I ask playfully, breaking away from her lips and smoothing her hair back.  It's getting into my mouth.

"Mmhmm," she replies in a delectably lazy way that just turns me on even more than I already am.

She bends down and finds my lips with hers again.

"You really need to have more emergencies more often," I mumble with a grin.

"Shhh," she says, running her deliciously smooth hand across my face in a loving way. "No talking."

No problem.  I'll shut up.  As long as she keeps doing what she's doing, I can lose an hour or three of sleep.

We continue along our sexy path, but I start to have doubts.

Why?  Why is she doing this all of a sudden?  She's been cold and distant lately, and suddenly she calls me up because she feels... what?  Horny all of a sudden?  She wants company?

Or is there something bigger going on here?

Maybe she's trying to make herself feel better about something.  Maybe she had a fight.

A fight. 

There's only one person in the world who can upset her enough to go nuts like this.

I groan in my mind, and suddenly, things don't look so good.  I bet they had some sort of argument, and this is Aya's sick, twisted way of "getting revenge."  She calls me up to get a little action while knowing perfectly well that Miki's got nobody.  Well, I'm sure she doesn't have nobody, but I mean she's single.

I'm lost in thought, which is why I don't stop it sooner.  "It" being Aya unbuckling my belt, unbuttoning my pants, and undoing the zipper.

No, I think.  Not like this.  Not when you don't mean it.

I have feelings, too.

I grab her hands and push her away from me.

"Aya, what's going on?" I ask, sitting up.

She looks at me, puzzled.

"What?" she asks in a breathless voice. 

She pushes me down by the shoulders, and her hands grab at the waist of my pants again, getting ready to pull them down.

I take her wrists again and push her.

"Slow down," I tell her.

This is all sorts of wrong.  She cannot possibly want to be doing this with me.  Not when she's ignored me for two weeks.  Not when I know she's not into me.

And yet she looks at me with her jaw dropped.

"Slow down?  Are you even a man?"

That's it.  That's crossing the line.  This has nothing to do with being a man or not.  This has to do with dignity.  I'm saving hers and my own.  I refuse to be used as some object in a game - a power struggle - between two friends that can't even figure out their own relationship.

And I know Miki's involved.  There's no other logical reason.

I frown at her.

"No, it's not that I don't want to, but... is there something wrong?  Are you okay?" I ask her.

I want her to talk to me.  Even if she breaks up with me right now, if I hear the truth, I'll be satisfied.  I want her to tell me what Miki's done to upset her.  I want her to admit that what she's doing now is not out of love or anything kind-hearted, but out of revenge or something spiteful.

"Why?  A girl can't do this to her own boyfriend?  God, I thought you'd be happy," she snaps at me angrily.

She's lying to me.  Lying so obviously that it hurts.  My heart aches.

She might lie to me, but I won't lie to her.  I'm going to speak my mind.

"I wouldn't mind, but with the fact that you've been so distant lately, I'm wondering if you've got some other reason for suddenly wanting to get into my pants."

I'm hinting at her to tell me.  To let me know why she's doing this.  I don't deserve to be lied to.  I've done nothing wrong.  I've been nothing but nice to her, and I've tried to tolerate Miki.  I haven't thought a single nasty thing about her, I've never spoken ill of her to my friends, I've never bragged that I'm sleeping with one of the most popular idols (because really, I'm not. Sleeping with her, that is.  Not yet anyway), and I've never forced myself on her or pressured her into doing something she hasn't wanted to do.  I've been a model boyfriend, and, okay, maybe a little boring, but I've meant everything I've said to her.

And here she is wanting to rip my pants off just to prove something.  Maybe prove something to herself or to her friend or... I don't know.  I don't understand how she thinks.

"You- you- I- Arg!" she stutters angrily.

Then she gets up and stalks out of the bedroom.

What in the world is going on!?

I quickly do up my pants and chase her.  I need to calm her down and then talk with her.  I don't want us to fight like this, because I have no idea what we're fighting about.

"Aya, I just-" I start, but she holds up a hand.

"No.  Just get out."

She's kicking me out?  What have I done?  Refused to sleep with her because I know she'll regret it if she does?  Since when is this a bad thing?  Since when does a girl hate her boyfriend for thinking of her mental sanity the morning after?

"I-"

"Get out," her icy voice repeats.

I grow angry.  I don't deserve this at all.  She's being unreasonable, but there's no way to let her know that.  Girls are scary.  Besides sharp nails, this one's got a way with words and gestures that can give a man chills.

I don't try and talk to her anymore.  At least she's stopped trying to take off my pants.  I mean, not that I would have minded if she'd succeeded... But no.  I'm a good guy.

I don't even look at her.  I just step into my shoes and leave, making sure the door swings shut quietly.

I shove my hands into my pockets and walk to the elevator dejectedly.

Some might think I'm the stupidest man on earth.  I was about to get the hottest action of my life.  Or probably.  If Aya's better than my ex-girlfriend.  She certainly was acting like she knew what she was doing.

But that sensitive side of me - the side that I know girls like - tells me that I have done the right thing.  I've saved my pride.  I've prevented her from regretting something big.  Hell, I've probably even made her best friend want to crack open a bottle of champagne 'cause I didn't touch Aya. 

This is so messed up.

Doing the right thing has never felt so shitty.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:06:05 PM by OTN1 »

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 12:55:17 PM »

It's been a great day.  I've spent it all with Miki.  We went shopping, bought tonnes of clothes, and then had dinner at a fancy Vietnamese place.  We've come back to my apartment to relax, and we're at the end of a drama that we both follow regularly.  It started a few months ago and is one of those really irresistibly bad dramas.  One of the ones that nobody dares admit they watch, but come evening time, they’re glued to their screens.

As the end of the episode draws near, the main character, a twenty-three year old woman who aspires to be the manager of the corporate strategy department at the computer software company she works at, has just been told by her childhood friend a burning secret - that he's been in love with her ever since he can remember.  The music swells up beautifully, and the childhood friend wraps his arms around the heroine, bringing her in for a dramatic and passionate kiss.

"Oh, please!  He's not even cute!" Miki calls out, ruining the moment.

I hit her on the arm hard so that she shuts up, but she keeps going.

"If I was her, I'd go for the hottie that works on the second floor."

"Miki, you're ruining it," I hiss.

She crosses her arms and looks at me with a bitchy look that makes me forget about the TV show and start laughing.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I giggle.

"Because you're not listening to what I'm saying.  This childhood friends of hers is sketchy," she begins her analysis just as the closing credits roll.

"What's so sketchy?" I ask, turning to her and mimicking the position she's in.

"He's been gone for four years," Miki says, sticking her nose up in the air.

"He was at university," I groan.

"Hah, we don't know that!" Miki cries, pointing a finger in the air triumphantly.  I giggle because she gets way too into these kinds of things.  "Second of all, he's ugly."

I frown.

"Okay, yeah, but that's not very nice to say," I tell her with a disapproving look.

"But Aya-chan, in these dramas, it's never the ugly guy that gets the girl.  I mean, just look at him."

I frown again.  Something in me tells me to stand up and fight for the guy even though I agree with her.  I feel this need inside me.  I sense an opportunity.

"So you wouldn't date a guy if he wasn't good looking?" I ask.

Miki stops and evaluates my question.  She can tell we've left the realm of fiction and we're now having a real life discussion.

"Well," she says hesitantly.  "I wouldn't want him to be hideous..."

"Well, what if he was a gorgeous man until he got his face burned off in an accident.  Would you still love him?"

"Of course," she says without any hesitation.

"You don't sound so sure," I say, although I'm bluffing.  She sounded pretty sure.

"Well, I don't really think about it.  I've never met a burn victim before."

Nice try...

"So you wouldn't date someone who was different?  Like, too different?  Out of the norm?  Someone others wouldn't approve of?"

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but something inside me is screaming at me to stop it now.

"I've dated my fair share of guys that nobody - especially my parents - approved of," Miki says with a wicked grin.

Oh, I know that.  But what I mean is... What do I mean?

"What would you do for love?  Or what would stop you from loving?" I finally ask.

There it is.  The kicker.

My god, I can't believe we're talking about this.  This is way too weird. 

Weird because I feel something inside me.  It's a box that I want to open, but I'm much too scared to.

"I, uh..." Miki's voice cracks.

I want to know exactly what she's thinking.  I need to know.  I'm freaking out here, and I don't even know why.

"Love is love," she finally says.  "Who am I to decide what to do and not to do?  I'll just do whatever it takes 'cause I can't control myself."

Not what I was expecting.  I know that she has a good heart - a superb, stupendous, wonderful, loving heart - but it's surprised me that she's answered my question seriously.  I thought she'd play it up and talk about leaping over tall buildings and swimming to the bottom of an ocean to do battle with a killer squid.  Instead, she's left it open-ended and, in a way, sweet.  She'll do anything, no matter how big or small.  For that person she loves.

Who is that person she loves?

No, don't ask.  Don't ask.  Don't ask.  Repeat my mantra.  Don't ask.  Don't a-

"Anyone in particular in mind?" I ask.

I've asked.  I'm dumb.

She looks at me, and for a second, I see a distant look in her eye.  It's as if she's figured out the meaning of life and is about to let me in on the secret.  Her expression quickly reverts to one of amusement, and a twinkle in her eye overshadows anything secretive in them that I saw before.

"Plenty of people," she quips.  "My parents, my friends, and the ranchers that raise the tasty cows I eat when I go for yakiniku."

She rubs her tummy and licks her lips as a finishing touch.

She knows that's not the kind of love I'm talking about.  I'm talking about romantic love.  The kind where you want to touch the person you're with all the time.  The kind where a kiss is like a breath of pure air.

"So what about you?" she asks.  "What would you do for Tachibana?"

Keita?  Nothing.  Or not much.  He's stupid.  If he disappeared, I'm sure not many people would miss him.

"I don't know," I mumble, shrugging.

"Oh, so now you're evading my questions?  And you get mad at me when I do that?" Miki gasps dramatically. 

I push her shoulder.

"It's not that.  I'm just not sure.  He's not really, um..." I trail off.

What I want to say is that I don't like him and I want to break up with him right now.

But for some reason, I have a feeling if I say that with Miki here beside me, just the two of us in my apartment, things might get weird.

No.  Why would they get weird?  If anything, she'd party.  I know she doesn't like him.

But still.  It would be weird.  And I might not be able to control what happens next.

No.

I must not think about it.  There's nothing to think about.

"He's not really your type?" Miki asks.

Is that hope in her voice?

"No," I say quickly.  "He is.  He is."

She stares at me.  I think I'm scaring her with my firmness.  I smile.

"I'm just not sure yet what I'd do for him.  We're still getting to know each other."

"Getting to know each other?  I think you're beyond that stage at this point.  How many months has it been?"

She starts to count, but I grab her hand quickly and make her stop.

"No, I mean... you can't know everything about a person in such a short time.  Even after two or three years, you still don't know everything..."

I trail off and hastily let go of her hand.

This has to end now.

Miki starts to say something, but I look at my watch and cut her off.

"Hey, you know what?  Actually, I asked Keita to come over this evening.  He'll be here in about half an hour," I say quickly, pretending not to hear her start up with something.

She stops, looks at me like she doesn't know who I am, and stands up.

"Great.  I'll see you later, then. I'll let you two have your alone time," she says.

She sounds barely human.  More like a robot.

Suddenly I feel very crappy.

I walk her to the door and stand there awkwardly as she puts her shoes on.

"Mail me when you get home safely," I say with a wave.

"Right, because you'll come to my rescue if I've been kidnapped and can't mail," she says sarcastically.

She means it in jest, but something in her tone tells me she doesn't believe I'd go and help her if she was in trouble.

She leaves with a "good night" and I close the door, slumping down in my couch.

Would I go and help her if she was in trouble?

Of course.  No doubt about it.

What would I not do for her is the better question.  There's very little I wouldn't do for that girl.  She's my best friend in the world.  Sometimes I think-

No.  I don't think.

I fumble for my phone desperately, trying to distract myself.

Keita.  Call Keita.  Get him over here now.

I find his number and hit dial.

Pick up pick up pick up, I chant in my head.

He finally answers.

"Can you come over now?" I ask quickly.

"Um, now?" he asks stupidly.

No, "now" as in "three years from this Tuesday." Arrrg.   Of course now, I think angrily.

"Please?" I ask him, unable to keep the desperation out of my voice.

I want him to stop asking questions and to get here as soon as possible.  I win, because he says he'll be here shortly.

I hang up quickly and start to jog around my room, trying to keep my mind off what has just happened.  I try to forget my conversation with Miki. 

I like Keita.  He's my boyfriend and I'm lucky to have him.  He has a car, and I admit that he can cook pretty well.

Why am I being so shallow?  He has a car?  Since when do I care about a car?  If he was a jerk, would I still like him because he had a car?  I hope not.

I'm now hopping around the room, replacing every thought of Miki with anything I can think of.  Glaciers, rabbits, curry, ice cream cones, tissue boxes, anything not Miki.

About half an hour later, the doorbell rings.  I know what I want.

I rush over and open it, grabbing the boy I see out there and pulling him in.  I don't think.  I just act.  I start to kiss him, and I push him up to the wall.  He warms up to me after his initial wave of extra dumbness.  He might be brain-dead, but he's an amazing kisser when he's not slobbering all over me.  He's not too bad with his hands, too.

He doesn't question me.  He goes with the flow.  That's the thing with guys.  When you need sex, they are there.  They are ready if you are.  Oh, are they ever ready.

I lock my door and then drag him to my room.  I'm now almost completely distracted from my problem.  But I can't get Miki's voice out of my head.

"Love is love."

It certainly is.

"Who am I to decide what to do and not to do?"

I push Keita onto my bed and follow him down, not letting my lips and hands leave him.

"I'll just do whatever it takes 'cause I can't control myself."

I feel him smile.

"Is this the big emergency?" he asks playfully.

"Mmhmm," I reply.

I want him to stop talking.  If he doesn't talk, I can pretend it's not him.

"You really need to have more emergencies more often," he smiles some more as I try to kiss him, and I put my hand on his face.

"Shhh.  No talking."

He seems happy enough with that.  Dumb dogs are easy to please.

I focus completely on the now.  Maybe I should get him to talk to remind me that it's him, because this him - Keita - that I'm on top of.  Nobody else.  Keita.

I need to do more.  I need to go further.  If I can lose myself in a moment of bliss, I can put to rest any doubts in my mind.  I can prove to myself, prove to other people, that I'm not questioning myself here.  That I'm not going crazy.

I tug at his jeans.  I get his belt undone and then I undo the button and the zipper, and like I said before, when you're ready, they're ready.  He's ready to go.  But suddenly he grabs my hands and pushes me away.

Maybe he wants to switch positions.  Maybe he wants me on my back.  That's fine.  I'll do whatever he wants.

"Aya, what's going on?" he asks, sitting up.

What??

"What?" I ask breathlessly.

Maybe he fell asleep and is just waking up now in confusion.  No matter.  I'm sure he'll like what I have planned.  I push him back down.

And he pushes me back up again.

"Slow down," he says.

What the hell is this?  Slow down?! 

Since when does a guy utter those words?

"Slow down?  Are you even a man?" I ask scathingly.

This guy really pisses me off.

Apparently I piss him off, too, because he looks at me angrily.

"No, it's not that I don't want to, but... is there something wrong?  Are you okay?"

There is nothing wrong! I yell in my mind.  Absolutely nothing!  Now take off your pants and let's get busy.

"Why?  A girl can't do this to her own boyfriend?  God, I thought you'd be happy," I snap at him.

He's got have lost a few brain cells.  Maybe from when I pushed him against the wall.

No.  There is no other reason.  Definitely not.  I'm just feeling a need for a little loving.  Is that too much to ask?  I just want to hang out, have sex, you know.  The usual thing you do with your boyfriend.

"You- you- I- Arg!" I scream at him.

I can't even phrase my thoughts correctly.  Flustered, I leave my bedroom in a huff and go and sit down on my couch, arms crossed, breathing heavily with anger.

He comes out of the bedroom soon after, his pants all done up.  So much for my spontaneous fun plan.

"Aya, I just-" he starts, but I hold up a hand.

I don't want to see him right now.

"No.  Just get out."

"I-"

Shut up.

"Get out," I repeat in a voice that brooks no further argument.

He's so whipped.  He stops talking and leaves.  The minute my door closes, I begin to cry.

When did my life get so messed up?  Why would I do something like this?  Am I that depressed over the thought of losing a boyfriend?  I don't even like him that much.  The only reason he's still with me is that if I let him go, I'll be single and I'll be prey to other thoughts and to other people, and I'm too scared to change my life right now.  Too scared.

I check my phone.  Miki hasn't mailed.  She should have been home by now.  I have a feeling she won't mail me tonight.

A day that started so well has ended disastrously because instead of having at least one person with me, now I've lost them both.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 01:13:17 PM by OTN1 »

Offline len.chan

• Po pooo
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • coming back to life
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »
just one thing for now...
MIKI POV! MIKI POV! XDD

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
Hahaha, it's finished, len.chan, but it's not proofread.  I need to go to sleep now.  You'll be able to read it later!

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 05:30:29 PM »
i love u!!!!

thank you  for keep it goin!!!

waiting for MIki POV!!! \o/

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 05:34:53 PM »
Now I'm really feeling sorry for Keita... I mean, in my opinion he did the right thing. And Aya was pretty harsh to him... I dunno, this chapter was just too cruel =\

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »
yeah, I'm totally on keita's side now, too! Poor guy. Why was Aya dating him in the first place?
I can't believe you made me think the words "Aya" and "bitch" in the same sentence... and look, now I even typed them!!!

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 07:49:55 PM »
Totally agree that Keita did the right thing in this case. He may be dull, but he's a gentleman.  He wants it to be special if he and Aya ever take that step, the way it was happening here, it just wasn't right. He would have just been taking advantage of Aya's confused state of mind, which seems to be one of the big factors in this fic. All three people (Miki, Aya, and Keita) know what they want...usually. The problem is, they either can't find ways to tell the others that or they just can't bring themselves to admit the truth.   

If Keita had "let it happen", sure it may have felt good at that time. But afterwards, it would have just started eating at them all inside. He would have felt shame over allowing himself to give in to doing something that he knew wasn't right, Aya would have come to realize the whole scope of what she had done, and Miki...she would have just been devastated, in all likelihood.  It just wasn't worth going through that turmoil just to get laid, and Keita knew that.  In this instance, I gotta give the boy props. He deserves to know where he stands with Aya...assuming Aya can ever figure that out and admit it herself.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 11:02:21 PM »
I can't believe you made me think the words "Aya" and "bitch" in the same sentence... and look, now I even typed them!!!
This... is the highest compliment.  Hahaha!  Thank you, I guess. :D

Aya's kind of turning out to be the "villain" of this story.  I didn't mean for that to happen.  Remember, she's also very confused and doesn't know what she wants.  Well, deep down inside she does, but she's terrified to admit it.

In short, everyone in this story loses!  Hahaha.  But yes, I think Keita comes out as the one who realises how it's going to end, and perhaps the one we feel sorry for most because he's been dragged into something so crazy.  It's one of those "wrong place, wrong time" things.

Anyway, here's Miki:

I've stopped bothering to comfort myself.  After recent incidents, I'm pretty sure why I feel what I feel, so I stop telling myself that I'm just going through a phase or that I'm just a bit crazy.  That's what I've been doing for months now.

At the moment, it's a matter of keeping it all nice and covered up.  A big, big secret that nobody can know.  Not even my best friend.  Especially not my best friend.

I'm sitting beside her watching a stupid television drama that we adore.  We're at her place.

I'm filled with all sorts of crazy thoughts.  There's so much I want to say to her, but it'll have to wait.  A couple of million years ought to do the trick.  By then, nothing will surprise the girl, and then I can tell her that I really like her, more than a friend, more than anybody I've ever liked before.  We're talking love, here.

I focus on the drama.  The main character just got kissed by her childhood friend who's been gone for four years, and I spazz out.

"Oh please!" I yell out.  "He's not even cute!"

I wouldn't touch that guy with a ten foot pole.  The lawyer on the second floor, though.  Yes, I would touch him.  Very much.

Aya hits me as if to remind me that she's here, and I feel guilty for lusting over TV characters.  Then I remind myself that she doesn't even know what I feel, so she doesn't care if I want to drool over someone who is not her.

"If I was her, I'd go for the hottie that works on the second floor," I say.

"Miki, you're ruining it," she hisses at me.

It's cute how she gets so into these dramas.  I cross my arms and give her a challenging look, which she just starts to laugh over.  How insulting!  Here I am trying to be all intimidating, and all she can do is giggle.  But it's cute, so she's forgiven.

"Why are you looking at me?" she asks between giggles.

"Because you're not listening to what I'm saying," I insist.  "This childhood friend of hers is sketchy."

He really is.

"What's so sketchy?" Aya asks me, crossing her arms and trying to look intimidating just like me.

"He's been gone for four years," I point out to her.

She should have been able to figure that one out.

"He was at university," she shoots back at me.

"Hah, we don't know that!" I cry out, and she laughs as I try to make a point.  "Second of all, he's ugly."

She frowns at me, and I wonder what I've said wrong.  It's the truth, and she knows it.

"Okay, yeah," she agrees, "but that's not very nice to say."

She looks at me disapprovingly, and suddenly all my resolve crumbles.  She's right, so now I have to explain myself.

"But Aya-chan, in these dramas, it's never the ugly guy that gets the girl.  I mean, just look at him."

He really is not good looking, and you can tell that he's only going to be in a couple of episodes before he's booted out so that the heroine can pursue the other love interest at work.

Despite my good reasoning (I can recite the formula for TV dramas like poetry, so I’m very good at predicting what will happen in your typical drama), she still keeps frowning at me, and she looks like she's dying to say something,

"So you wouldn't date a guy if he wasn't good looking?" she asks.

Wow.  That came right out of left field.  I think about the question carefully.  Sure I'm attracted to people who are actually good looking, but he doesn't have to be movie star material to keep me interested.  But the question is really obsolete right now because I'm in love with someone who's really very hot.

"Well," I say.  "I wouldn't want him to be hideous..."

"Well, what if he was a gorgeous man until he got his face burned off in an accident?  Would you still love him?" she asks me.

"Of course," I say immediately.

I just imagine that it happened to the person I love... Nope, nothing could make me stop feeling the way I do.

"You don't sound so sure," she says.

What is she talking about?  Of course I'm sure.  I just don't think about these things.

"Well, I don't really think about it," I tell her.  "I've never met a burn victim before."

Hah.  I hope she gets a kick out of that answer.

"So you wouldn't date someone who was different?  Like, too different?  Out of the norm?  Someone others wouldn't approve of?"

Why is she asking me all of this?  She can't possibly want to know, right?  And what do I say?  I really haven't thought about it because I've always fallen in love with someone without meaning to.  It sucks, but it's true.  That's what love is.  That's how love happens.  Or at least I think so.

"I've dated my fair share of guys that nobody - especially my parents – approved of," I remind her, smiling as I remember the good old days.

Since when did I get so mellow?  I used to go after bad boys.  Ones that would skip school and smoke out in the open.  Now I'm pining after a well-bred, by-the-rules, angelic girl.  No.  Princess.

What the hell, me?  What the hell?

"What would you do for love?  Or what would stop you from loving?" she asks me, and I gulp.

"I, uh..." my voice cracks as I try to find a way to phrase my answer.

What would I do?  Anything.  What would stop me from loving?  Nothing short of death.

I look at Aya and she has this intense look in her eyes.  She wants to know my answer right now.  She needs to know it for some purpose I don't understand.

I take a deep breath.

"Love is love.  Who am I to decide what to do and not to do?" I ask her.  "I'll just do whatever it takes 'cause I can't control myself."

I keep looking at her as I say this.  Maybe I'm playing with fire because I want it to seem like I'm talking with her in mind.  I want her to catch me and ask me if I'm in love with her.  Then that way I don't have to say it voluntarily, which I think is much more difficult.

She seems to think very hard about my question.  I wonder what she's going to say in response.  Maybe she thinks my answer is dumb.  Maybe she's going to make fun of it.

"Anyone in particular in mind?"

I swallow hard.  She had to ask.  I can't tell her.  Absolutely not.  Not yet, anyway.  Not at this moment.

I look at her and try to imagine what would happen if I did say "you."

I suppress a shudder and move my thoughts along.  Whatever I say, I have to cover up the truth.

I let myself smile.

"Plenty of people," I say.  "My parents, my friends, and the ranchers that raise the tasty cows I eat when I go for yakiniku."

I rub my tummy and lick my lips, thinking of the delicious meat that I love so much.

But you know what I would love even more?  If I could lick her lips and rub her tummy.  Now that would be interesting.

And very, very scary for her, so I won't do it.

"So what about you?" I ask, turning the tables on her.  "What would you do for Tachibana?"

I don't want to know.  I want her to tell me she hates his guts as much as I do.

"I don't know," she mumbles with a shrug.

It gives me hope.

"Oh, so now you're evading my questions?  And you get mad at me when I do that?" I tease her.

She pushes me, her hand only touching me briefly.

Oh, no.  Do stay... I invite it, but it's gone before I can regain my balance.

"It's not that.  I'm just not sure.  He's not really, um..." she trails off.

Not really smart?  Not really cool? 

"He's not really your type?" I ask, trying to mask the hope I feel.

If she tells me she's going to break up with him, I just might not be able to control myself.  This whole day has been a test of my ability to restrain myself from doing or saying anything to scare her away.  If suddenly she becomes single...

"No.  He is.  He is," Aya assures me firmly.

I stare at her to see if she's telling me the truth.  She's worried me just a bit because she's changed from wishy-washy to secure in a matter of seconds.  I don't want her to hide the truth from me, especially since I might really want to hear it.

"I'm just not sure yet what I'd do for him.  We're still getting to know each other."

What?  There is definitely something wrong if they're still there.

"Getting to know each other?  I think you're beyond that stage at this point.  How many months has it been?" I ask her.

I start to count the number of months they've been going out.  It depresses me to see finger after finger marking month after month.  Then the unexpected happens.  She grabs my hand, squeezing it shut so that I lose track of my count.

"No, I mean... you can't know everything about a person in such a short time.  Even after two or three years, you still don't know everything..." she trails off.

And for that one moment, I think she's talking about me.  About us.  About how even though we're close after a few years of friendship, we still don't know everything about each other.  I don't know what she's thinking right at this moment, and vice versa.

But maybe she does want to find out all of the things she's supposed to know about me.  I could tell her everything.  I would do it right now.  I'd whisper every single one of my secrets to her without hesitation, saving the big one for last.

She lets go of my hand, and I start to lean forward to declare animatedly to her that we should have no secrets between us, when she looks at her watch.

"Hey, you know what?  Actually, I asked Keita to come over this evening.  He'll be here in about half an hour," she says in a businesslike manner.

I feel physically ill.

Keita.  She invited Keita to come over?  And we were just having an amazing conversation about love and getting to know people.  I was about to start us on some new level of friendship where we truly had little or no secrets between us.  I was about to maybe begin to work up enough courage to tell her the things I feel because she seemed to be opening up to me by bringing up the subject in the first place.

But no.  My hopes and dreams have been shattered.

Who the hell am I kidding?

Aya's a supremely awesome, shining goddess who can do anything.

Me?  Well, I'm hot, but I'm a bit of a disappointment to people.  I'm really just ordinary.

So why would Aya want to have me as her one confidante?  As that one person who would know everything about her and be trusted to keep all her secrets?

Exactly.  She wouldn't.  Not when she has Mr. W-inds.  Tachibana Keita, the guy that all the girls from elementary to high school are in love with.  The guy that all the boys emulate and style their hair after.

She has gone and ruined a perfectly wonderful day by inviting him over at the end.  And so late.  It'll be at least half past nine when he gets here.  I shut the doors in my mind so that I stop imagining what they'll get up to so late in the evening.  Alone, unsupervised... No.  Don't think about it.

I thought we were getting somewhere.  I thought she didn't like him.  I guess I've been wrong about it.  Everything I've said today could be taken back and she probably wouldn't even notice.

"Great," I speak in a monotone, standing up without complaint.  "I'll see you later, then. I'll let you two have your alone time."

It makes me sick.  Sick sick sick.  Alone time.  Aya and Keita.

I want to push him in front of a speeding train.

Aya walks me to the door, but I barely notice her presence.  She's essentially just kicked me out.

"Mail me when you get home safely," she says with a wave.

As if she cares if I get home safely or not.  She'll be too busy with Mr. Spectacular.  I bet he won't be able to control himself and she'll come crying to me tomorrow complaining about what a pig he is and how he undressed her when she told him not to.

And then I would actually go and kill him.  I'd hunt him down and tell him never to touch her again.  I'd punch him in that pretty face of his and make him bleed.

"Right, because you'll come to my rescue if I've been kidnapped and can't mail," I reply to her concern.

I say it sarcastically.  Maybe she'll take it as a joke.  Probably.

She does.  She looks a bit amused.  I mumble good night to her and leave.

I walk down the hallway.  I really don't want to hurt her with my bitter words.  I'm too upset to be very civil, but I still try to keep my anger at a minimum.

I think about my definition of love.

Love is love.  I really can't decide what to do and what not to do.  The feelings just take me over and make me do things.  That's why I would hit Keita if he ever threatened the person I love.  That's why if there ever was an opportunity and I got desperate enough, I would let Aya know how I feel.

I can't control this feeling in me.  Nobody can.

So while I am very angry, I'm not angry at her.  I'm angry at myself.  I got myself into this situation.  I'm the one who can't get out of it.

Love hurts, and that's the simple truth.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 10:34:46 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 11:21:27 PM »
awesome! :heart:

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sistar - How Dare You