JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nine Muses - Action

Author Topic: Beside Trackers, What other P2P programs do use to source for Japanese files?  (Read 18465 times)

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Beside using BT, What other P2P programs do use to source for Japanese files like Anime, TV shows, Movies, DVDs etc?

Discuss your problems encountered when using these P2P programs!

Offline Miwa ♥

• 510's Fangirl
  • Member+
  • Exotic ~♥~ Disco!
I'm using winmx and soulseek to find the japanese stuff sometimes. But, winmx's queue thing is very annoying. But the dl speed is good for me. Soulseek = easy to find files. But the dl speed is really slow T_T;;.
Maki Goto + Risa Niigaki + Aya Matsuura are the LOVE

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
WinNy and SoulSeek. WinNY for anything Japanese, and slsk for music and occasionally videos.

I tried Share because it was supposed to be better than WinNY, but I can't even start a download. :lol:

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
I use WinNy too but i was quite unhappy with the result, Always can't get the the file i want, Guessed it was something to do with cluster words, any advice?

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
What's with the weird caps for ny and share in the list?  They refer to themselves as "Share" and "Winny", no random/all caps.

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
Quote from: bolivar
I use WinNy too but i was quite unhappy with the result, Always can't get the the file i want, Guessed it was something to do with cluster words, any advice?

Good H!P cluster words:
モーニング娘
松浦亜弥
飯田圭織安倍なつみ矢口真里石川梨華吉澤ひとみ辻希美加護亜依高橋愛紺野あさ美小川麻琴新垣里沙藤本美貴亀井絵里道重さゆみ田中れいな

Be sure they're you're first non-specific downloads and hit the "make cluster" button so it sets them to 4096/0 for the min/max file sizes to prevent downloading off them.  Also with ny, use autodownloads, otherwise you'll get much crappier results.

Quote from: Ayabie
I tried Share because it was supposed to be better than WinNy, but I can't even start a download. :lol:

Probably just didn't have all it's directories configured right, that seems to be one of the most common setup errors.  It also doesn't have anything like ny's port 0 mode, so you have to have a good incoming port.

Offline Ayabie

• 西瓜太郎
  • ecchi
  • Member+
I'm pretty sure it's referred to as WinNY, as well. Share is indeed all lowercase, though.

Quote from: soveryshiny
Probably just didn't have all it's directories configured right, that seems to be one of the most common setup errors.  It also doesn't have anything like ny's port 0 mode, so you have to have a good incoming port.

That sucks. Took me a while to pick a good port to stay connected to the nodes. I guess I'll have to do some more experimenting.

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
I'm pretty sure it's referred to as WinNY, as well. Share is indeed all lowercase, though.

It is sometimes just because of how it was developed in reaction to and named because of WinMX.  But the program itself never uses that capitalization, at least in any version I can remember having used or have currently installed.  Either way, it's listed in the poll as WinNy not WinNY so...
http://winny.info/2ch/ has all the logs saved from when it was being created, http://winny.info/2ch/main/1017590243.html is the first one where they're discussing the name.

That sucks. Took me a while to pick a good port to stay connected to the nodes. I guess I'll have to do some more experimenting.

It only matters if you're firewalled and have no control over it (like a lot of college dorm residents are.)  Otherwise it just needs one open port to work, same as ny and BT each need one.

Offline Amplifier

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
I like share and eMule. share for the spiffy shit, and eMule for things that won't be found on trackers/share.

Winny never connects when I try it, and the epic queues+shitty speed on slsk drive me insane. :sweatdrop:

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+

For me I found adding a cluster word makes no difference.
When you find something you want, don't try downloading it right away as it rarely ever starts first time, add it to your download list as quick as you can.  Always add the file to your download list.  When you added it, always open the list and check it's there as it doesn't always add if you lose connection with the person.  If it didn't add, rightclick the filename and copy it and add it manually in the form
filename.avi,,0,0,,0
each entry on a seperate line.  If you added it manually the entry doesn't always get removed after the files finished downloading, so it's a good idea to check the list after a file downloaded and remove the entry manually, or else it'll try downloading it again later.

The only other p2p I use is limewire.  I've used emule once but it was very slow.

Kazaa and Winmx died didn't they?  I found they were getting less and less results so after the last reinstall I never bothered re-adding them as they were useless to me.

Did they revive Morpheus?  I used it a few years ago but it stopped working and there were a number of new experimental versions which were crap and never worked, then everyone forgot about it and moved on to better things.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:55:31 PM by ~Dan~ »
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
Beside Trackers, What other P2P programs do use to source for Japanese files?
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 05:11:37 PM »
Thank You, my search results improved slightly. I have a question in Share. I m able to connect in Share but when i try to add them to download, it juz wont start, Is there a root folder for the downloads.(I opened my log & it always show 06/10/16 23:05:35 ERROR: Cache manager error System Error.  Code: 3.
The system cannot find the path specified
)
 Cos i found so many results but can't download a thing. :doh:Any advice?

Offline ohbahsan

• Member+
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 06:10:05 PM »
Thank You, my search results improved slightly. I have a question in Share. I m able to connect in Share but when i try to add them to download, it juz wont start, Is there a root folder for the downloads.(I opened my log & it always show 06/10/16 23:05:35 ERROR: Cache manager error System Error.  Code: 3.
The system cannot find the path specified
)
 Cos i found so many results but can't download a thing. :doh:Any advice?
you need to specify a download, upload, and cache folder.

Offline bolivar

• HiP家族の大臣
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 06:33:13 PM »
Quote from: ohbahsan
you need to specify a download, upload, and cache folder.

Ohbahsan, can u list me your SHARE root folder directory & general settings. Should i create the folder manually or create through SHARE? cos i am unable to create one.

Thanks a bunch :)

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 07:31:53 PM »
I just get stuff off trackers. none of those other programs work for me :/ I loved WinMX

Wow...if you find something good, please share with us on the JPH!P Tracker first :)

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »
Ohbahsan, can u list me your SHARE root folder directory & general settings. Should i create the folder manually or create through SHARE? cos i am unable to create one.

My folder.ini looks like this:
[CacheFolder0]
Path=C:\download\cache\
Quota=0

[DownFolder]
Path=J:\download\
Quota=0

[PrimaryCacheFolder]
Path=C:\download\cache\

Make sure all of those folder's exist.  Also note, if you have a non-existant folder set to be uploaded, it causes problems with adding items to your queue, but stuff already in there will continue to download.  Caused me problems when I changed some of my shared folders and forgot to remove them.

Also, I can't stress this enough: with ny and share, you should rarely if ever bother with searching.  Use autodownloads and triggers, respectively.  With share especially, since you can set it to add everything to your DB instead of just downloading it.  Set a trigger on the keyword of you choice to fill up your DB with hits, browse and add stuff to your download at your leisure.

Or if there's something you just want all of, set it to download it all.  I've found that to be highly effective when grabbing older episodes of longer running TV shows.

Oh, and if your comfortable with your Japanese and with regexes, there are some plugins for triggering via them - http://wiki.nextp2p.info/index.php?RegExpTrigger

If you're using Share, I also recommend setting up 密告.  Cache browser that lets you see everything in your cache, delete stuff, and convert partial files with the option to fill missing blocks with 0s and still convert the rest.  Highly useful when you have three seperate partial zip files of an album with 1-2 missing blocks each in different spots.

For winny, WinnyUtil is a must.  Has a lot of features, but again the main one you're going to want is the cache browser.

As another note for winny: if you're using any version from 2b7.1 or older and haven't patched it, then you're just asking to get infected.  There are known remote exploits and viruses that use them.  b7.28 of Winnyp seems to be the most popular, and gives you the option to connect to either the older clients, newer ones, or both, depending on your ini setting.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 09:39:08 PM »
My second to BT is eMule.
I don't usually search for Japanese stuff unless I might think of something I might want, provided that I can find it, although the Edonkey network has always been pretty good for finding rare items.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline ~Dan~

• Happyyyy~~~
  • Member+
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 10:25:06 PM »
Quote from: soveryshiny
As another note for winny: if you're using any version from 2b7.1 or older and haven't patched it, then you're just asking to get infected.  There are known remote exploits and viruses that use them.  b7.28 of Winnyp seems to be the most popular, and gives you the option to connect to either the older clients, newer ones, or both, depending on your ini setting.

Mine's 2b6.6.  How do I know if it's patched / how do I patch it? (And don't just tell me to download a newer version cos this one has all the menu's in English which I quite like!)
Sig gone. Tinypic is no more.

Offline soveryshiny

• Member+
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 11:28:53 PM »
Quote from: ~Dan~
Mine's 2b6.6.  How do I know if it's patched

If you haven't patched it yourself then it's not.  Especially if you're using that old version of 6.6 that someone patched into English.
Quote from: ~Dan~
how do I patch it? (And don't just tell me to download a newer version cos this one has all the menu's in English which I quite like!)

Err, every patch I'm aware of is for 2b7.1.  So if you don't want to upgrade then "hope I never get infected" is the main option...  SafeNy is the only other one that I'm aware of which may work since it doesn't patch ny.  Instead it works by wrapping itself around ny so all traffic between ny and winsock is passed though it and gets sanitized.  Readme says it's only been tested with 2b7.1 though so I don't know if it can load 2b6.6 right or not.  Worth a try if you're set on keeping an old version.  http://www.nynode.info/tools.html#bof

Vulnerability alert is here http://jvn.jp/jp/JVN%2374294680/index.html  There it just says 2b7.1 and older, one of the links seems to say 2b5.7-2b7.1 so 6.6 most likely is vulnerable.

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 11:52:27 PM »
once i found out about bit torrent, i stopped using anything else

Offline Masabi

• ミ★
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • metallica orz
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2006, 12:05:02 AM »
^ Same.. bittorrent has everything I need.
The artist formerly known as Gray.

JPHiP Radio (22/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Nine Muses - Action