JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Order of Chaos - Storms on Horizon

Author Topic: What Needed to be Done  (Read 48486 times)

Offline iacus

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: What Needed to be Done
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2007, 08:41:36 AM »
Aya being possesive over Miki even after death and her trying to supress her emotions through (potentially dangerous) action is endearing, understandable, (and more importantly) fun to read.

This is the most wacked out theory I can come up with: Tsunku had Miki killed to keep her from "interfering" with his planned HP reunion. (Thats right, his hewlett packard reunion)

Seriously though, there's not really enough evidence for me to make a guess at this point.(right?) If I was forced to make one though, it would be that her company was involved in some shady dealings (perhaps a front for the yakuza?) Miki was somehow pulled into this, and then Very Bad Things Happened. And if this is true, than Aya is putting herself in a lot of danger by trusting Tsuyoshi. Looking foward to the rest of the story, and seeing how far off I am.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 09:13:28 AM by iacus »

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
Oh man... the last chapter I remembered reading was the one at the morgue... and then it's like bam! 3 more chapters

This reminds me of a detective mystery type story... except it's so depressing! T_T

You're gonna make the end happy... right?  :(

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline black velvet

• Smut!Slut
  • Member+
  • yoonyul <3
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2007, 11:11:21 AM »
Wow . . . :o

The journal entry gave me giggles [until the end.] So, anyway, it's not anyone from work, unless they wanted to make "personal business" with her elsewhere . . . I'm wondering what in the hell Miki got herself involved in! [cough]If someone solves this, do we get those 10 chapters of fluff?[/cough]

Keep the crack coming! :D

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #63 on: April 02, 2007, 11:50:02 AM »
Now I can't get the image of detective Aya in a brown trenchcoat and hat and a grim looking expression on her face out of my head XD

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2007, 12:20:12 PM »
Oh, that lightens the moment a lot. :D  Just wait till Shibata gets back.  They'll be like Sherlock and Watson, running around Tokyo with their trenchcoats and pipes. 
[cough]If someone solves this, do we get those 10 chapters of fluff?[/cough]
Ok, you're all on.  Hahaha!

Chapter 12

RIIING! RIIING! RIIING!

I groan at the sound that threatens to rip me away from the safe haven of darkness that my mind has created.  Still half gone, I turn my head away from the sound.

RIIING! RIIING! RIIING!

"Can you hit it?" I mumble aloud.

I don't want to move.  The alarm clock is on the other side of the bed.

RIIING! RIIING! RIIING!

"Get... get it.  Turn it... off," I mutter.

What's taking her so long??

RIIING! RIIING! RII-

Silence.

Ahhh, I think.

I smile warmly as I snuggle back into the covers. 

Got it.

I lie there for twenty seconds before I jerk awake completely.

Wait a minute.  I didn't just turn off the alarm clock.  That means... it was... And it was all a.... a dream!

I shoot up from my bed excitedly, relieved, ecstatic!  What a horrible nightma-

I look beside me, but there's nobody there.  I look around wildly.

Nobody.

I jump out of my bed and run to the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the entrance...

Nobody.

It wasn't a nightmare.

No, it is a nightmare.  I'm living it now.

I'm all alone. 

I walk back to my bedroom blankly.  I sit on my bed and stare at the wall.

When the ringing starts again, I scream in fright.

"AAAEEIIIIII!!"

I turn around and look at the alarm clock, but that's not what's making the sound.  It's my phone.

I grit my teeth in anger at the false hope that has just overwhelmed my mind and made me feel like it could have all been a dream.  I feel so stupid.

I glance at the time.  It's half past twelve in the morning.  Who could be calling at this hour?

I pick up the phone.

"Hello?"

My voice is surprisingly strong.  It must have been that warm-up scream.

"Aya-chan, it's Shibata."

I let out a partial sigh of relief.

"Hi."

"I'm at the airport in Barcelona now.  My flight leaves in half an hour.  I'll be there in about fourteen hours."

"Why so long?" I ask groggily, rubbing my eyes. 

"Layover in Germany," she replies, sounding annoyed.  "Anyway, listen.  Stay put.  I'll go to your place as soon as I've dropped my things off.  It might take a while, so I hope you don't mind that I come in the evening."

I make a sound of acknowledgement.

"Hurry, Shiba-chan."

"I know."

I hang up and lie back down, curling up into a small ball, holding the covers tightly.  I review the past twenty-four hours in my head.  They seem so unbelievable.

Murder.  There's been a murder in my life.  How can that be possible?  I don't lead a normal life, what with being a household name and easily recognisable to three quarters of the country's population, but nothing I've done - or that Miki's done - merits this kind of punishment.

I clench my fists and suddenly I'm nothing but angry.  I fantasise about wrapping my hands around the murderer's neck and squeezing tightly until he - or she - can't breathe.  Until he falls lifelessly to the ground with a thud.

Within minutes, I break down crying again.  How can I want to kill someone so badly?  It's not right.  I shouldn't think like that.

But I can't help it.  It hurts too much.

I fall asleep again, violent dreams leading me through to the next morning.

I'm awoken again by the telephone.  This time it doesn't trick me.  I check the time before answering.

Nine o'clock.  It can't be Shibata.  She's probably in mid-flight.  It's probably Sugiura.

"Yes?"

"Matsuura-san!" hisses Tsuyoshi's terrified voice.

"Tsuyoshi-kun.  What's wrong?" I ask, knowing all too well what must be happening.

"The police.  They got here early this morning.  They're going through everything in Fujimoto-san's office.  They're asking everyone questions.  What should I do??"

If I don't calm the boy down, he's going to go into hysterics, and that will benefit neither one of us.

"Tsuyoshi, listen to me," I say sharply.  "Breathe.  Three times slowly."

I hear him follow my command obediently.  His breathing slows down considerably, and he no longer sounds like a rabid dog.

"Remember, the police can't know what we've talked about.  Where are you now?" I ask calmly.  I don't feel one bit calm.

"In the washroom.  I'm alone."

"Good," I say, even though it's really not at all good.  "If they ask how you found out about Miki, tell them the truth.  But say I called only to tell you about her.  Nothing else."

"What do I say if they ask about the other phone call?" he asks nervously.  I can hear him just barely managing to keep his cool.

"Just say I was calling to check up on you.  Not a word about the journal.  It's not a secret that we chat from time to time, right?" I reassure him.

He mumbles something about everyone teasing him about that.  At this impossibly whacky time, I crack a smile.  I find it almost cute.

"What did you do with the key to Miki's desk?" I ask abruptly, remembering that he didn't mention putting it away.

There's a silence.

Uh oh... What has he done?

"It's at home," he whispers.

I'm not sure whether to feel relieved or angry.  Probably more relieved.  Whatever is an obstacle to the police is all good to me.

"Okay.  Not a word to anyone about it either.  As far as we're concerned, we don't know what Miki keeps in the bottom drawer of her desk."

"Wh-what about my fingerprints?  What if they search?" he stutters.

That would be bad.

"Do you ever go into her office?  Clean up her desk?" I ask hopefully.

"Sometimes I organise the top of her desk when she's not in.  She gets really messy."

"Good!" I exclaim, thanking the Fujimoto ancestors for passing on that messy gene to Miki.  "Then that's it.  You clean up her desk sometimes.  If they ask why your prints are on the bottom drawer, just say you were looking for my number because you needed to talk.  Tell them you couldn't open it in the end."

He says he understands.

I quiz him to get our stories straight, and then he says he has to go back to his desk.  I wish him luck.

When I hang up the phone, I put my head in my hands and stare at the floor.

How can my life be like this?  The other day I was lounging around, enjoying my free time and wonderful breakfasts.  Now I feel like a fugitive.

It's silly, that's what.  Silly.

I get up and get ready to go do something other than sitting and moping.  When I'm in the middle of action, I don't dwell on things.  I live in that moment.  It's when I have time to sit and think that it hurts the most.  Everything comes back to me.

Got to keep moving.

Once in the shower, I remind myself that I have to arrange for the transfer of Mi... the body to Hokkaido.  I wonder if I'll be allowed to see her again.  I question whether I want to.

I do.

But I don't.

Should I feel bad about that?  I want to see her because it's her, but I don't want to remember her like that.

But I have to.  One more time.  One last time.  That other time was too sudden.

I finish getting ready and place a call to Sugiura.  He's not in - probably because he's heading the investigation at U-Con - so I'm forwarded to his third in command, one of the men who was present at the first interview that I wish to banish from my memory.  His name is Cho.

I discuss the issue with him.  There's some sort of question as to whether her body should be released before a proper autopsy, and it makes me sick.  I know her mother doesn't want her touched.  She just wants Miki back on home soil.

I fight for it, but Cho asks for the Fujimoto family's contact information.  I give it hesitantly.  I have made a promise to take care of everything, yet here it is going out of my control.  Cho promises to get in touch with me after he's spoken to the family.  He probably thinks he can bully them into thinking his way.  Little does he know that the Fujimoto parents are every bit as stubborn as their youngest child is.  Was.  That's my source of satisfaction.

I start to kill time by cleaning up my apartment.

What a big mistake.  I keep running into things that belong to Miki.  Her clothes, her books, the miscellaneous junk that somehow accumulates in my bedroom, her hair products...

What am I supposed to do with all this stuff?  Keep it?  Throw it away?  Lock it away in a box and never look at it again?

What about her toothbrush?  Her hairbrush?  How can I throw those away?  What if she needs them?  What if... somehow... she needs them?  I can't get rid of them.

I leave everything as it is.  I sit on my bed with a few of her things in front of me - the pyjamas she wore just the other night, a sweatshirt, and a pair of jeans.

Have I inherited these things?  Are they mine?  I've always been free to use them, but now it's different.  Only I will ever use them.

I fold each item of clothing carefully and put them where I found them.  The jeans go back into the drawer, the pyjamas and sweatshirt under the pillow.

Die, you bastard, I think.

I will stalk the person responsible to the ends of the earth and beat him senseless.  I will beat him until he doesn't know who he is or which way is up.

Because that's how I feel now.

Raving mad, I stand up and stalk out of my bedroom.  I grab my things and leave my apartment, slamming my door angrily.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 08:09:56 AM by OTN1 »

Offline Amarghetta

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • The likeness of a human
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2007, 02:58:30 PM »
I've always figured Aya would make a good liar, but she's exceeding my expectations with the way she comes up with solutions to the possible questions police might drop on Tsuyoshi... There seems to be a fair share of darkness in her, and I guess we're about to get acquainted with it.

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »
make it a dream...a really awful dream......
my miki doesnt deserv to die!
kill aya instead!

aya  died, then she can't hav miki until miki dies...so she's fantasying tha miki was murdered!

but...well...sad miki isnt good too... Just let them completly happy for once! >:(

Offline edhead999

• MAJI DE!?!?!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #67 on: April 02, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »
I hope the ending involves Ayaya going sukeban-mode on the murderer... with a yo-yo XD

Nacchi... kawaii XD

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2007, 07:04:08 PM »
The darker side of Aya...definitely showing up full force here...I'm glad?

...if only it were under different circumstances sigh.

Can't wait till Shibata comes back. I get the feeling that's when things get really interesting. Not that it isn't interesting now, just that it gets even better. XD

Well, write more! :P

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2007, 10:28:36 PM »
I just hope it's kind of believable.  Well, it's all very unbelievable, but from the way I've built it up since the beginning (possibly since the beginning of the series, not just this part), I hope that it doesn't seem strange that Aya would be taking this path.  It's neat, though.  Imagining what her flirtation with the dark side would be like.
Estrea, I think you're right.  Things are going to get good once Shiba-chan gets back.  Hahaha.

Offline OTN1

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »
Chapter 13

Lunchtime comes and goes as I wander through the streets.  For four hours I walk around with no point and too many bad thoughts, torn between being sad and being angry.

The minute after I get home, Cho calls me and informs me that I can go down to the morgue and make whatever arrangements I want because he has spoken with Miki's mother.  He has the audacity to sound annoyed.  I almost tear into him, but I let it go.  Let the imbeciles remain imbeciles.

Caring about nothing, I make my way back to that horrid, cold place to take care of the paperwork.  I'm just barely polite to the people working there.  I don't know what I'm doing, so I have to let them tell me what to do.  I turn into a nervous wreck because it's all so complicated.  There's no need for it to be.  I just want to send her to her hometown.  Why can't it be like buying a train ticket?

I get out of there feeling frustrated, as if I've accomplished nothing.  I didn't even get to see her.

I go home in a daze after calling Miki's mother to apologise and inform her that everything has been taken care of.  She thanks me and tells me she'll call me later with details about the funeral.  She chokes up when she says that word.

Funeral.

I simply block it out.  If I can't hear it, it doesn't exist, right?

It's three o'clock by the time I get home.  Shibata should be landing soon.  Fifteen minutes later, my phone rings.  I've received mail.

In line at customs.  Will call as soon as I'm home.

I send her back an e-mail.

Welcome back.

It seems full of sarcasm and bitterness.  As if I'm saying "welcome home, Shiba-chan, to our lovely country, my hell on Earth, my nightmare."

I sit and re-read Miki's journal over and over again until the phone rings again at four-thirty.

It's Tsuyoshi.  I don't have to ask him a thing because he launches right into it after I pick up.

"Everything went fine.  They didn't ask about the second phone call even though I'm sure they pulled the record and saw your number.  They didn't ask about the 'prints either.  They only asked if I usually went into Fujimoto-san's office.  I said I sometimes went in to clean up her desk."

I sigh.  That's good news.

"So I think we're safe," he concludes.  He sounds thrilled.  Excited.

"This isn't a game," I snap at him out of the blue.  "If you think this is fun, I refuse to have anything to do with you."

I regret speaking to him so harshly, but he has to know that this is serious.  This is about a life that has been taken.  A life that was important to me, and one that I will never forget.

"I-I'm sorry..." he apologises weakly,  "I didn't mean that."

I rein my anger in.  I'm channelling it at the wrong person.

"Sorry.  I'm tired."

I don't think I sound that sorry, but Tsuyoshi cuts in and apologises some more and says I shouldn't be the one to feel bad.  We end our conversation on an awkward note and I go back to my thoughts.

I sit and contemplate what to do.  Where to go from here.  Once this is all over - once the killer is caught - what am I supposed to do?  I have no job, and any desire to find one has left me completely.  I have a gaping hole in my heart that can't be filled in by anything.  Not my family, not a million friends like Shiba-chan, not a drug.  I'm lost.

It's my fault, though.  It's entirely my fault for living in such a happy and carefree way.  Before all of this, I had never thought that anything bad could happen to me or the ones I loved.  I had always taken my safety for granted, and I had never stopped to think about what I would do if I were faced with some sort of danger or tragedy.  I let myself get close to Miki and I somehow let her make me like her.  I gave in to her charms and without even being sure why, I couldn't let go.

And now I sit here, broken-hearted because I bothered to care.  Half a person because I gave away part of myself.  Maybe it would have all been better if I had never met her.  Then I wouldn't feel like I was paralysed and being pecked at bit by bit by a hungry raven.

That's selfish.  You know what you are?  Selfish and idiotic,  I tell myself. 

I'm swimming in my pain like a spoiled child.  The ultimate injustice has been committed.  It's not time to think about myself.  It's time to think about her.  This crime against her must be uncovered, her killer brought to justice.  All her memories should serve as reminders of just how damned lucky I am to have met her at all.  I shouldn't be sitting here saying, "oh, boo hoo, me.  Look at my pain."  This is about something bigger.

But even though I tell myself that, I still can't stop hurting and feeling sorry for myself.

Time passes slowly as I struggle with this problem.  I pick up one of Miki's books and flip through it, looking at the bright pictures and the bold captions.  It's a travel guidebook for East Asia.  On the shelf there are seven or eight more books, all guidebooks for different regions of the world.

So much for taking another overseas trip together.  I sigh and imagine what it would have been like.

At six-thirty, my phone rings.  I check my mail and bolt out of the room.

Shiba-chan's back.

I throw on a jacket, gather whatever I need to show her, and leave my apartment, mailing her back as I rush out the door.

~
PIIIIN PONNNN

I stand outside Shibata’s apartment, unable to be still.

Five seconds later, the door opens.

"Come in," Shibata says when she sees me.

I manage a thankful nod and step inside.  Beyond her, I can her suitcase on the floor.  It's open and half empty already.  She's in the middle of unpacking.

"Have a seat," she says once I've taken off my shoes.

I sit on her couch, clutching my bag in my hands.

"Want something to drink?"

I shake my head once.

Shibata stands there watching me.  I find myself unable to speak.  If I talk to her about it in person, it's going to be real and final.  If I keep my silence, I can pretend Miki's still alive and it's all just a bad dream.

"Want to tell me what you've been up to?"

I move shakily and pull the journal out of my bag, holding it up to her.  She walks over and takes it from me.  She opens it up to the first page with writing on it and then looks right back at me.

"What is this?"

"That's Miki's journal.  It proves that whoever killed her... Uh, she knew him."

Shibata looks at me, uncomprehending.

"Aya-chan, I know you don't want to talk about it, but I need to know what you've been up to the past two days.  What have you found out?"

Slowly, I start to explain exactly what has been going on, leaving out no detail.  I talk about lying to Sugiura because of his unspoken accusation, Tsuyoshi helping me out, calling Miki's mother, seeing the body, and the investigation at U-Con.  I turn into a blubbering mess at some point, and Shibata comes to sit down beside me, putting an arm around my shoulders as I cry into her shoulder.  The tears pour out of me and her shirt becomes damp.

"...so all I have to go on in this journal.  And- and that café that we go to together."

I lift my head up to look at her.  She's deep in thought, a frown of concentration on her face.  I can see what she's thinking.  For the first time in my life, I think, I can read her like a book.  I can see it all in her eyes - her shock, her sadness, her anger, her defensiveness...

"I'm sorry I wasn't here when it happened," she says.

Those words trigger a landslide in me and I start to bawl.

"I can't do this," I cry, leaning back against the couch and covering my face.  I find it hard to breathe, gasping in air only to expel it as wild sobs.

"Yes, you can.  I'm going to help you.  We'll find out- find out something.  Don't lose hope."

But I can tell from her voice that she's unsure.  'What can we do?' it asks silently.  'What can we figure out that the police can't?'

The hum of the refrigerator mixed with my crying is the only sound we hear for some time.

Offline Estrea

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ひゃっっほーい♪( ´θ`)ノ
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2007, 03:17:12 PM »
I have no words, except that I shall wait patiently for the next chapter.

永遠に咲き続ける花なんていない、すべてはいずれ枯れて朽ち果てしまう。

Currently writing:
- Lilium-related things. God save my soul.

On Hold:
- Everything Else. Too many to list.

I'm also on AO3!
http://archiveofourown.org/users/Estrea

Offline Kei-Br

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kissing You Oh~ My Love
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »
shiba-chan is back!
things will get better right?
still..i feel like crying thinking of dead miki  =(

waiting for the next chapter! =D

Offline glcorps2002

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • Rina Akiyama: Booty Beauty
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2007, 04:26:05 PM »
I hope that they don't get seriously injured while investigating.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2007, 07:17:02 PM »
Yay Shiba-chan! Now we got two sleuthing babes!

For some reason, I just thought of a really twisted theory on what happened, and I hope to GOD that I'm wrong. Dunno if someone else has already put forth this theory, I'm too lazy to go and check.

Earlier on in the story Aya said that Tsuyoshi thought of Miki as an older sister, with Aya being the older-sister's friend he has a crush on...see where I'm going with this?

What if Tsuyoshi found out that Miki and Aya were..."more" than just best friends? That would mean that he'd have no chance with Aya because Miki would be in his way.  Often in crime/mystery dramas, the culprit ends up being someone who's totally "normal" on the outside, but just with that secret, INTENSE obssession on the inside. Question now is, does Tsuysoshi have this type of obssession for Aya?  If so, would he go so far as to eliminate Miki to "get to her"? We only have his word, after all, about the time that Miki (and later on, himself) left work on the day she died.  Stranger things have been seen/done.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline orangesocks

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2007, 08:44:00 PM »
Aya's so miserable... :( Hopefully now that Shiba's joined Aya they can make some headway into finding out the murderer(s).

Offline rndmnwierd

• Subleader of Tsunku's Army
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • What has been seen cannot be unseen.
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2007, 10:29:22 PM »
The only things I can think of to say start with 'I hope...' and 'I wish...' And also 'I bow down to your incredible mastery of words and emotions.' But that last one seems a little inappropriate to post here.

Offline black velvet

• Smut!Slut
  • Member+
  • yoonyul <3
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2007, 12:51:18 AM »
Poor Aya is such a mess, but she seems very passionate about this whole incident. The way you have written her inner conflictions (pitying herself as much as pitying Miki) are realistic. It's easy to feel weak, yet strong because of love.

Earlier on in the story Aya said that Tsuyoshi thought of Miki as an older sister, with Aya being the older-sister's friend he has a crush on...see where I'm going with this?

What if Tsuyoshi found out that Miki and Aya were..."more" than just best friends? That would mean that he'd have no chance with Aya because Miki would be in his way.  Often in crime/mystery dramas, the culprit ends up being someone who's totally "normal" on the outside, but just with that secret, INTENSE obssession on the inside. Question now is, does Tsuysoshi have this type of obssession for Aya?  If so, would he go so far as to eliminate Miki to "get to her"? We only have his word, after all, about the time that Miki (and later on, himself) left work on the day she died.  Stranger things have been seen/done.
I have to agree that this makes perfect sense. Tsuyoshi is a very fishy character, and I began to wonder about him as well, but now that you bring up the obsession thing, it raises my suspicion even higher.

Offline joyce

« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2007, 01:26:17 AM »
I'm new here and I really love your story!  So much detailed emotions... . .. . it's very sad still to know that miki's gone...but I'm looking forward to the rest of your story.  glad that shiba-chan is back!  I can feel the new dynamics coming~

Offline TydusArandor

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2007, 02:53:09 AM »
Ten chapters of fluff!? A lot of people will be trying to figure this out  :D It makes my head dizzy just thinking about it x_x.

I think JFC's theory sounds plausible. But what would Tsuyoshi have told Miki that completely freaked her out?  ??? If I remember right, Miki's journal mentioned it was a "they", but of course Tsuyoshi could have associates. I can't really think of a reason why Tsuyoshi would threaten to kill someone he likes either (assuming the "her" in Miki's journal was Aya). His obsession is to THAT level!? (the "IF I CAN'T HAVE YOU, NO ONE CAN!" level  :D)

Blah, even more questions @_@

Anyways, yay for Shiba-chan coming back finally, that's one more brain to figure out the murderer!

JPHiP Radio (24/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: The Order of Chaos - Storms on Horizon