JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Umasi Kamono

Author Topic: Offical MLB Thread!  (Read 337935 times)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
"comedy gold"
« Reply #1580 on: December 13, 2010, 12:42:03 AM »
Poor Rob Neyer.  What can you say about the Royals anymore?

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
FERNANDOMANIA
« Reply #1581 on: December 13, 2010, 10:04:38 AM »
Watched the ESPN 30 for 30 on Fernando Valenzuela - really moving stuff. Had no idea the Mexican background that Dodger Stadium stood on, and he revitalized a nation WOW!

I remember him pitching here when he was with the Angels farm team...

Valenzuela Update
August 11, 1991

FERNANDO VALENZUELA, pitching for the host Class AAA Edmonton Trappers on a sweltering Friday night, started poorly but finished with a flourish. He lost, 10-3, after giving up five runs on eight hits - five for extra bases - to Calgary. Valenzuela, released by the Los Angeles Dodgers this spring, is hoping to get called up by the California Angels by Aug. 19. Valenzuela: ''They hit me pretty hard in the first inning. I'm happy the way I finished the last four innings. Everything was working good.

source: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1991-08-11/sports/9108110036_1_fernando-valenzuela-class-aaa-yankees

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Re: Offical MLB Thread!
« Reply #1582 on: December 14, 2010, 12:23:05 AM »
The A's are about to sign Gojira Matsui.  I thought he had a blah year for the Angels but wasn't all THAT bad: 274/.361/.459, 21 HR, 84 RBI.  The Oakland stadium will deflate those numbers but he should do good in The Bay.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
C-Lee to Philly
« Reply #1583 on: December 14, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
I was in a doctor's waiting room last night, anxiously leeching a faint wifi signal and refreshing my Twitter feed on the ancient iPod Touch handed down to me, long ago.  Twas the only thing between me and a louder-than-usual radio PA volume, with the tunes of 1970s and 1980s "oldies" swirling about, i.e. the original "Funkytown" (meh) and "After The Love Has Gone" (actually a good tune that's held up well).

Old Touch = old battery = I didn't have much time before the doctor called me in.  And about half an hour later, Twitter blew up with the news of Cliff Lee's decision to return to Philly.  Holy SHMOKES, Indy!

It's why baseball's postseason is unparalleled: you can get pumped about a sport at a time when there aren't even any friggin' games!

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1584 on: December 14, 2010, 10:08:34 PM »
^^ True about Baseball's off season, Lee going to the Phils was a bit of a shocker, could have had $60M more with the Yanks, not that he'll have a problem living off of $100M. :roll: Phils gotta be big favorites now, that rotation: Halladay, Lee, Oswalt, Hamels...wow! :thumbsup

Offline kuro808

• Konkon + HKT + JPH!P= <3 and Happiness
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • Natsu Oshi DESU!
    • Kurosawa87
« Reply #1585 on: December 15, 2010, 04:55:19 AM »
^ Everybody is believing the rotation, although the problems came around hitting in the postseason and the times in the regular season, I think with a healthy Rollins and a qualified replacement for Werth, they can make a big run, but with that the Red Sox took two of the biggest prizes in FA so let's see where we go from there
Random Thought:

tumblr

R.I.P. Jab!  Dad/friend

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
C. Lee: the backlash
« Reply #1586 on: December 15, 2010, 04:55:45 PM »
Two remarkable reactions to the Cliff Lee "decision." 

1) C. Lee = LeBron James.  Whaaa??  The Philly rotationis now the Cavalcade of Stars?  Apparently King James also turned down the biggest money contract offer.  So they're both pond scum.  Beautiful.

2) C. Lee can't handle New York.  Just as well he retreats to Philly -- we had a near miss there with Burnett/Vazquez Part II.  I mean, "mainstream media" columnists were writing this one, as predictable as Jefty Frenchy signing with the KC Royals.  Amazing that people can freely psychoanalyze individuals based on the lyrics of a song first heard in a Martin Scorsese movie.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Bob Feller: 1918-2010
« Reply #1587 on: December 16, 2010, 07:43:50 AM »
Another baseball legend now belongs to the ages: Bob Feller passes on.

Feller was one of those old-timers that was always around, since I became a baseball fan decades ago.  A WWII vet who lost prime years to the service, he still won 266 games and set strikeout records that would stand for decades.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
An old Cliff Lee sighting
« Reply #1588 on: December 16, 2010, 05:19:48 PM »
Amid the explosion of online chatter about Cliff Lee's surprising decision to return to Philly, I recalled a story I read in 2008. 

One of my fave sites, Baseball Analysts, is written by Rich Lederer.  One summer he and his son were on a baseball tour of America.  In a New York subway, they eyed Cliff Lee next to them in the crowded car -- on the way to Yankee Stadium to start the game for Cleveland.

Just a moment in time.  Still I remember that season when Lee became a STAR for the Indians and thought it uber cool that he was riding the subway with the rest of America instead of a limo or even a yellow cab.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Bob Feller: 1918-2010
« Reply #1589 on: December 16, 2010, 08:42:14 PM »
Another baseball legend now belongs to the ages: Bob Feller passes on.

Feller was one of those old-timers that was always around, since I became a baseball fan decades ago.  A WWII vet who lost prime years to the service, he still won 266 games and set strikeout records that would stand for decades.
Yes, shame about that, he was 92 though, my he saw a lot of history then. Seems as though he's one of the forgotten stars too, if not for WWII he might have gone down as one of the greatest ever, though in most baseball minds he is anyhow. :thumbsup

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Claw and Antler
« Reply #1590 on: December 22, 2010, 07:26:00 AM »
Got me this awesome shirt repping the Texas Rangers Claw and Antler from the homeboy THUNDERDUCK :thumbup

Gonna think of Thimas and his Michael Young mancrush everytime I wear it.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Hall of Fame voting time
« Reply #1591 on: December 22, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »
Another reason why baseball's offseason is better than all else: Hall of Fame voting.  Yep it's that time of year when the troops line up against one another: us versus them, progressive versus mainstream.

The BBWAA (newspaper-affiliated employees and a few select internet-based ones) is primarily mainstream and will probably fight like dogs to keep their right to elect HOF ballplayers an exclusive one.  Naturally I run against the mainstream and eat up stuff like this: Craig Calcaterra (one of the BEST voices out there) jabbing at Dan Shaughnessy's column on his HOF ballot.

I've been reading Bill James for over 20-something years and there's still this pervasive mindset in the "mainstream media" about players like Jack Morris.  Not that it's a wholly dominant one (the 75-percent super majority setting the standard for all things HOF); still there's a lot more people in this organization like Murray Chass and not nearly enough like Peter Abraham or Joe Sheehan.

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1592 on: December 22, 2010, 08:19:09 PM »
^^ I've been reading Bill James for a long tome too, he does make prtetty good arguements both for against certain things, among them players getting into the HOF. This year there is no sure shoo in, quite a few good players but just because you were a solid player for a long time does that make you a HOF? :smhid Wouldn't doubt if Alomar and Blyleven get in, Alomar probably deserves it though not so much as Bert does, not that you wouldn't want him pitching on your team but is her really an all time great? :sweatdrop: Bagwell is also there for the first time, his stats say he deserve to get in though a lot of the voters wonder about any foreign substances which might have helped those stats out. :O

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1593 on: December 22, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »
News flash: the dude who killed Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart (plus three others) sentenced to "51 years to life."

Glad that shit is over.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
« Reply #1594 on: December 22, 2010, 10:11:49 PM »
Hey the Boston Globe has its own HOF ballot online: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/2010_halloffame_survey/

Let's all vote!

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1595 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
^^ Okay, voted, should we say who our secret selections are, :? voted for 3.

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
My ballot
« Reply #1596 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:57 PM »
I voted for the maximum (10) in the spirit of The Season.  Also because why the hell should I ponder extensively over a phony ballot -- it doesn't friggin' count!

Alomar
Bagwell
Blyleven
Larkin
E. Martinez
McGwire
D. Murphy
Palmeiro
Raines
Trammell

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1597 on: December 22, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »
Alomar, Larkin, Raines were my choices. :)

Offline Saburo

• 愛の戦士
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Karaoke is my life
    • Tanikaze
    • Tanikaze
Pinto's choices
« Reply #1598 on: December 23, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »
David Pinto of Baseball Musings also voted.

Never thought of Larry Walker as a serious candidate.  Hmm...

Offline Yoshino

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #1599 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
^^ He did put up some incredible numbers but they were for the Rockies, :doh: outside of that stadium he was still a quality player but didn't have HOF numbers.

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Go! Go! 7188 - Umasi Kamono