JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shimatani Hitomi - Falco

Author Topic: [Discuss] Kung Fu Flicks  (Read 51045 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: [Discuss] Kung Fu Flicks
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2009, 04:34:34 PM »
Youtube channels that have full length old school kungfu flicks:
- Drelbcom
- AmPopFilms

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
Producer Eli Roth on RZA's 'Iron Fist'

Eli Roth, the horror filmmaker and co-star in Quentin Tarantino's INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, recently gave Sci Fi Wire an update on development of his collaboration with hip-hop maestro RZA to produce the kung fu movie, THE MAN WITH THE IRON FIST. Although RZA is currently on a music tour, the two are presently working on the script. "I'm just sitting down with him, but Quentin has been mentoring RZA for years, and he's ready to do it, and he's directed music videos," said Roth. "He knows kung-fu movies the way Quentin knows kung fu and like the way I know horror movies; he's seen everything." Without being specific, Roth hinted that RZA is using iconic figures from the martial arts world while creating something unique that draws on his knowledge of film and music.

"He's got this whole movie figured out," Roth said. "But it's his own universe, his own world. It's got hip-hop mixed in with kung fu; it's got a multiracial cast; he's got people lined up and all of these martial-arts stars and choreographers he's already talked to about it. It's really going to be spectacular." Roth mentions that no time table has been set to move the production beyond its early planning stage yet and that the focus is only on getting the script right at the moment.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/producer-eli-roth-on-rzas-iron-fist-9106

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
Michael Jackson at Shaw Brothers

http://www.shaw-brothers-reloaded.com/html/michael_jackson_at_shaw_brothe.html

In 1987 Michael Jackson went to Hong Kong to spend some holiday time and he took the chance to visit the old Shaw Brothers studio to participate in a short promo stint for TVB. He posed in classical Shaw costumes and Long Yi made a photograph as well as a short video movie, in which Jackson presented kung fu techniques and worked with a sword as well.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #105 on: July 23, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
Golden Harvest is back! … sort of

Golden Harvest, the once mighty Hong Kong film studio that produced dozens of classic martial arts and action films from Bruce Lee's FIST OF FURY (1972) to Tsui Hark's THE BLADE (1995) is making a comeback, at least in name. Beijing-based Chengtian, known in English as Orange Sky, has completed a takeover of Golden Harvest, now called Orange Sky Golden Harvest Entertainment Holdings, with plans to begin producing new movies under the Golden Harvest Motion Pictures subsidiary.

Golden Harvest began as a small upstart Hong Kong film studio founded by disgruntled, former Shaw Brothers executives Raymond Chow and Leonard Ho in 1970. They quickly scored a major coup over their bigger rival when they offered recently arrived Hollywood actor Bruce Lee a more lucrative two-picture deal. The mammoth success of Lee's second film, FIST OF FURY, made Golden Harvest.

Despite Lee's subsequent death, the studio only gained momentum by using ENTER THE DRAGON as a launch pad to invest in Hollywood productions and by attracting and keeping emerging mega talents such as Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and Tsui Hark. As Shaw Brothers faded away in the '80s, Golden Harvest emerged as Hong Kong's last great film studio with phenomenal output over the course of 33 years in the moviemaking business. They dominated the '80s and '90s with hits like MY LUCKY STARS, POLICE STORY, ROUGE, NAKED KILLER, and ONCE UPON A TIME IN CHINA.

Widespread apprehension, an exodus of talent and a steep decline in Hong Kong's box office power amid the territory's 1997 handover from British rule to mainland China took its toll on the studio and Golden Harvest's film studio closed its doors in 2003. They continued to operate as a film financier and manager of a chain of cinemas in Hong Kong and mainland China. According to chief financial officer Winnie Chan the new Golden Harvest is expected to produce two to four small to medium-sized films per year and co-produce and co-finance big budget productions. The company will also continue in its focus on the development of cinemas on the mainland.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/golden-harvest-is-back-sort-of-9252

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2009, 02:18:33 PM »
Shaw Brothers restarts film production

Not long ago I was writing about the return of Hong Kong film studio Golden Harvest and now their former rival, the mighty Shaw Brothers is returning to the filmmaking business after nearly 30 years. But don't get too excited yet. While the studio has announced a slate of four new films to be produced through their Television Broadcasts Limited (TVB) subsidiary and partly shot on their legendary Clearwater Bay studio soundstages, no martial arts titles are currently planned.

SB's is kicking off with TURNING POINT, a HK$13 million crime drama directed by Herman Yau and starring Anthony Wong, Francis Ng and Michael Tse. The film is based on a popular TVB miniseries called E.U. Two other films to go into production this year include the ensemble comedy HOUSE OF 73 TENANTS, a semi-sequel to SB's blockbuster 1973 film HOUSE OF 72 TENANTS, and the tentatively titled young adult romcom LOVE EXPERT. Also in development is a period drama set for production in 2010.

A studio representative has told The Hollywood Reporter that the company is aiming for diversity, with an undetermined number of films comprised of different genres and scales. The rep also mentions that the company is targeting local audiences and aims to help out the local film industry by hiring Hong Kong actors and crew.

Although their film production unit has been closed since 1985, Shaw Brothers has remained in operation as a film distributor, theater operator and TV production company through TVB. Despite their decline in the late 1970s and early '80s that led to the closure of their film unit, Shaw Brothers is still Hong Kong's most successful movie studio with a library of nearly 1000 feature films dating back to the founding of their 49-acre Movie Town studio in Clearwater Bay in 1957 by Run Run Shaw and his brother Runme Shaw. Built upon a business savvy, family-run business started in Shanghai in 1923, Shaw Brothers was modeled after the Golden Age Hollywood studio system and attracted top foreign talent to quickly build up its production muscle. Shaws quickly became the region's top movie producer and maintained this position throughout the 1960s and early '70s. They produced films of every variety and scale with a distinctive, polished house style. Many of their films were the top-grossing hits of the era with highlights such as THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, BOXER FROM SHANTUNG, HOUSE OF 72 TENANTS, and THE WARLORD.
http://www.kungfucinema.com/shaw-brothers-restarts-film-production-9407

Hell Yeah! The official Shaw Bros thread coming soon!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:20:54 PM by Masa »

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
This weekend! I challenge you. I'll finish my reports then too :P

BUT FUCK!!

Golden Harvest and Shaw Bros.  brandnames will bring Hong Kong cinema back its glory days!

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »
^ Too FUNNY! I seriously thought that was transformers.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2009, 09:17:41 AM »
RZA Talks 'Man With The Iron Fist' and 'Last Dragon' Remake

There's a martial arts project I've been looking forward to ever since it was first announced - The Man With the Iron Fist. Back in July of last year it was revealed that Eli Roth and RZA would team up to make an old school kung fu movie and RZA would make his directorial debut on it. Not much has been said about it since then, but RZA was interviewed by The A.V. Club and not only gave a good update on The Man With the Iron Fist, but also talked about The Last Dragon remake that he's involved with as well. Neither of the projects have gotten a greenlight just yet, but both of them sound like they're moving along quite smoothly.

The Man With the Iron Fist will be a "bloody R rated martial arts extravaganza" that RZA developed after studying Quentin Tarantino for a few years and working with Eli Roth. He explains the inception story further to The A.V. Club mentioning that Roth came to him saying that he'd like to help him make it, telling RZA: "I just love it, I think the story is unique. I think it’ll be great for the genre." He originally wrote the script before Quentin did Grindhouse then went back and rewrote and polished it recently. "We got it done, complete, circulating through the system, and it should be all cracking up pretty soon." Here's more on it:

"I'm just going to say that I'm looking to make a real good movie for us, yo. I want to make something that… They said the album, 36 Chambers, by Wu-Tang, was new, different, and they said it helped propel the hip-hop community. I would love to do that somehow on film. I would love to make the same mark or impact, and I'm striving to do it with this film as my first serious directorial debut. And I'm going to tell you that we put a lot of time into the script, a lot of energy into it, a lot of people were supporting me on it, and if the energy comes out right, it should be a classic film to have in your library."

One The Last Dragon front, RZA confirmed that he and Samuel L. Jackson had joined the project as producers and would also star in it, as first announced last October. On this project, though, RZA says he read the script and thought it needed some work so he have gave writer Dallas Jackson some books and notes to help him out and to modernize it since Bruce Lee isn't as well known as he was back in the 80's.

"There's been a new script out already, but to me, they didn't nail it, so I sent the writer some books he should read, and I gave him a few pages. I'm not the writer, but I helped him out, gave him five pages of information, sent him some books so he could really make a story that'd resonate with today’s times for The Last Dragon. But I want to keep the martial-art integrity, parts that the first one may have lost, because the other guy was in love with Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee is still the master, still the greatest, but maybe his popularity in cinema is not the same as it was in the '80s, because in the '80s, you were still getting Bruce Lee releases."

Is he saying that he wants to pull out all of the "Bruce Lee-ness" of the original Last Dragon? Yes and no. "Bruce Lee is definitely timeless, but at the same time, the integrity of his martial art may not be as widely known now as it was then." Obviously that can be argued, but I'll let RZA and Jackson (both of them) work this out, rather than complain about whether they should be contemporizing it or not. While RZA doesn't say either of these are shooting anytime soon, it at least sounds like they're progressing well, and that's what counts the most. They'll move into production when the time is right. And we'll keep you updated on both!
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/10/22/rza-talks-man-with-the-iron-fist-the-last-dragon-remake/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2009, 10:40:47 PM »

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2009, 10:56:44 AM »
ssshit there's this awesome show 香港獨家 on HK TV show talkin bout HK Cinema. Here is Ep. 1

香港獨家 第1集 - 香港武打電影

Yuen Wah, Gordon Liu was blabbing like IP Man is just Fist of Fury. it was cool. Gordon Liu was going 'No one knows Bruce Lee. new generation don't know about kung fu while gweilos are like practicing it' :yep: and the dude David Chen was in the US and this giant black dude put his hand on his shoulder and was like "DUDE ain't u that kat in _______ movie!"

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #114 on: November 25, 2009, 01:01:24 AM »
next two episodes. The other actor is Keung Dai-Wai

香港獨家 第2集 - 武打演員辛酸史

香港獨家 第3集 - 西洋向香港武指取經

"Kung Fu movies IS Hong Kong culture.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2009, 11:36:18 AM »
‘Chen Zhen’ begins shooting as superhero movie

Production began on Monday for CHEN ZHEN (aka THE LEGEND OF CHEN ZHEN), a kung fu actioner directed by Andrew Lau with Donnie Yen starring and choreographing the action. What may come as a surprise is that Lau intends to combine Donnie Yen-style kung fu with visual effects to create a superhero movie. Lau states that Chen Zhen will be a superhero who is not only a master of martial arts but will transform himself to take on the challenge of saving the entire city. The film’s co-writer and producer, Gordon Chan, has stated that this will not be a remake of FIST OF FURY but rather a reinvention. Chen Zhen is the semi-fictional student of Huo Yuan-jia, first made famous by Bruce Lee who portrayed him in writer-director’s Lo Wei’s FIST OF FURY. In 1994, Jet Li took on the role in FIST OF LEGEND. An ATV series titled FIST OF FURY followed with Yen starring as Chen Zhen.

Here is the plot according to The Hollywood Reporter: Set in 1920s Shanghai, the film features Donnie Yen as a local resistance fighter who had been taken for dead after a bloody skirmish. After an absence of seven years he returns in disguise to uncover a plot linking the triads and the Japanese. Anthony Wong, Shu Qi and Zhou Yang also star. The latter two stars will portray women who vie for the affections of Chen Zhen. “I have played Chen Zhen on [the] FIST OF FURY TV series 15 years ago so I’m particularly [enthusiastic] about this role,” said Yen. In terms of action, I have confidence of presenting a whole new Chen Zhen. I hope this will engender another wave of wushu trend, and hope for this to become a classic.”
http://www.kungfucinema.com/chen-zhen-begins-shooting-as-superhero-movie-11671

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2009, 04:41:39 AM »
Chinese Super Hero? They gonna make another Bruce Lee movie lol. Donnie Yen seems to be the only kung fu actor there is.

preview still of 72 Tenants!! GO SHAW BROS. Laughing Gor was a mild success.

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2009, 07:23:32 AM »
hey did we talk about this? Zhang Yimou's A SIMPLE NOODLE STORY

A Simple Noodle Story - Zhang Yimou - Trailer n°1 (HQ)

Official site is up: http://sanqiang.sina.com.cn/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Shimatani Hitomi - Falco