JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Miss A - Lips

Author Topic: Studio Ghibli  (Read 21340 times)

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Studio Ghibli
« on: August 22, 2009, 07:43:18 AM »

Studio Ghibli, Inc. (株式会社スタジオジブリ, Kabushiki-kaisha Sutajio Jiburi?) is a Japanese animation film studio, and previously was a subsidiary of Tokuma Shoten. The company's logo features the character Totoro from Hayao Miyazaki's film My Neighbor Totoro. Several anime features created by Studio Ghibli have won the Animage Anime Grand Prix award including Laputa: Castle in the Sky in 1986, My Neighbor Totoro in 1988, and Kiki's Delivery Service in 1989. In 2002, Spirited Away won an Oscar for Best Animated Feature, the first, and thus far only, anime film to win an Academy Award.

Links
Official Site
Official DVD Site
Studio Ghibli Wiki
Wikipedia

Discuss your favorite Studio Ghibli flicks! What's your all time favorite Ghibli flick? I've enjoyed every movie I have seen so far but my absolute favorite is Porco Rosso. Porco Rosso was actually the first anime movie I saw and it's still my all time favorite anime flick :yep:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
Re: Studio Ghibli
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »
Interview: Writer, Director, and Animator Hayao Miyazaki

A couple of weeks ago I had the tremendous honor of interviewing the legendary Hayao Miyazaki in Los Angeles for the US release of his newest film Ponyo (watch the trailer). This was his first trip to America in more than five years and it was a truly rare and incredible experience to meet one of the greatest filmmakers in history. I've been a big Miyazaki fan for a very long time and I've always loved his films, with Castle in the Sky being my personal favorite. Ponyo (which arrives in theaters on Friday) is another wonderful addition to his already extraordinary filmography and just I can't suggest it enough, especially for kids. Read on!

This interview was conducted by both myself and Steve from Collider (that's the only way Disney could get us time with him). Miyazaki spoke in Japanese and was translated on the spot, which is why it's a bit short overall. We each took turns asking questions; I've included all of them below, as it's a great interview. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this very rare one-of-a-kind interview with the legendary Hayao Miyazaki!

We are going to try to ask you questions you have not been asked before.

Miyazaki: That's alright!

My first question is, have you ever thought about putting in any of your previous characters in any of your other movies as almost an "Easter egg" in the background?

Miyazaki: As a joke, the staff sometimes wants to put it in or tries to, but I haven't considered that myself, no. So the little character might be [drawn] way off at the side. In the scene where they put the banners up on the boats after it's flooded, and they're rowing the boats, etc., it says, "Numa Kuma Shrine" on it. Okay? And the whole setting is supposed to be kind of an anonymous town, but the actual town of Tomonoura, where I got the idea for the town, has a Numa Kuma Shrine. So then people realize that it's a real place.

Of course, the local people in Tomonoura were very happy that their town was shown, but that was a little bit of a joke. And I was — I thought of maybe changing it, and fixing it, but it was written in characters, in Chinese characters, and the banner is moving in the wind, so it was really hard, a lot of effort to try to get rid of all that, so I just let it go.

You've done so much in animation, what are the challenges for you nowadays? And with Ponyo, were creating the waves the biggest challenge on this one?

Miyazaki: The greatest challenge we have right now is that my staff has aged along with me, and so we need to get some fresh blood into our studio. And we're making those efforts, but that's a big challenge we have. But of course I don't want to fire my old staff, so I want them to stay on, and we are trying to figure out ways where they can continue to work, as well as [bring on] new staff.

The waves weren't as difficult as I thought they would be. So as I was drawing, I thought, "Well, I should have done this from beginning." I realized that I should do it like an Ukiyo-e woodblock print, draw them that way.

I wanted to know, many of your films deal with the environmental damage to our planet. Have you ever thought about doing a more real world, futuristic movie that shows the real damage we're doing to our planet, and trying to incorporate that, almost as a real world sci-fi film, say taking place 100 or 200 years in the future?

Miyazaki: So many films like that have been made by other people, that I can't see a new kind of image that we could use to make a movie about environmental damage. I don't think there's anything we can sort of add in terms of an interest in spiritual aspects. If I draw flooded buildings, or if I draw a town at the bottom of the sea, then I think people say, "Oh, that's just like some other films that we've seen."

Do you think hand drawn animation will always exist forever? And will you continue to hand draw your films as long as you can?

Miyazaki: There are so many ships in the animation sea that are computer driven, that I think we can have at least one that's just a log raft that we can row by hand.

I have heard you are extremely famous in Japan. And I'm curious, being in America, I believe you're probably a little bit more anonymous. What have you been able to enjoy with your anonymity here in America?

Miyazaki: This is a hard-schedule week, so I'm tired, so I haven't been able to enjoy much. [laughs] I was surprised that San Francisco was so chilly!

If you have a little extra time, what would be the kind of things you would enjoy doing, if you had the free time?

Miyazaki: I have to rush back to continue doing the manga drawings that I'm doing as sort of a hobby of mine.

I wanted to know, many filmmakers have scripts that are lying around. Things that they've developed, things that maybe they'll get to down the road. Do you have a lot of scripts that you've written, or ideas that you have possibly fleshed out, that you hope, that are just waiting for you to have the time to do them?

Miyazaki: We are in the entertainment business, so our projects should be entertainment projects. I have quite a few scripts and ideas that wouldn't be that entertaining, that are more serious, but if I insist on making those, then Studio Ghibli would sink. So I can't make those.

As a follow-up, you have reached a point in your career where so many audiences are so interested in what you're doing. Do you really think that if you made something that wasn't as commercially viable that the audiences wouldn't come to see your vision?

Miyazaki: They won't come. [laughs] The things that I'm thinking of are just really my own little hobbies that — so there's things like what the area of Tokyo was like before people lived there, and how it has changed as people started living there. And maybe a history museum might be interested in something like this, but the general audience would have no interest.

I think there is a way of making that story work. I do.

Miyazaki: Rather than making that a good project, I like to make the kinds of films that children can understand in five minutes what the film is about.

Being people who love films, we're sort of "geeks," and we love to collect different items. Is there anything that you love to collect as well?

Miyazaki: I'm not a collector. [laughs]
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/10/interview-writer-director-and-animator-hayao-miyazaki/

Offline Sev

• Gentleperv
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Ass + BESTie = BASSTie?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:35:39 PM »
Ah man, great job on this thread Masa. Bawse!

Picking a favorite is really hard in my opinion. So many of the Ghibli movies have made me cry, outta good and sadness. Grave of the Fireflies is just heartbreaking, Laputa is amazing in every way, Porco Rosso is fucking baller, but I'm going to have to go with Tonari no Totoro. It's just adorable, funny and one of those movies I can watch over and over and over again.

Still need to watch Ponyo, people say it's amazing so I feel i need to do it when i dont have to interrupt myself half way through.
[/url]

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:47:39 PM »
ghibli is the only animation studio above Pixar imo.

i love almost every single one of their movies (havent seen Cat Returns though, and i actually don't like the Earthsea movie too much). I grew up on Totoro, Kiki, Porco Rosso... man.

facebook | signatures by boykun. ava by rei-chan. | basugasubakuhatsu

Offline Wonderboy

• ecchi
  • Member+
  • ☆彡
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
I would highly recommend to all Ghibli's lovers this awesome concert :

Joe Hisaishi in Budokan - Miyazaki anime to tomo ni ayunda 25 nenkan

It's a masterpiece.
One of the best symphonic concert I've ever seen in video.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
^ Joe Hisaishi is one of the greatest movie composers of all time!

My Ghibli flick ranking:
1. Porco Rosso    
2. Spirited Away
3. Grave of the Fireflies
4. Castle in the Sky
5. The Cat Returns
6. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
7. Kiki's Delivery Service
8. My Neighbor Totoro
9. Howl's Moving Castle
10. Tales from Earthsea

Tales from Earthsea is actually the only Ghibli flick I don't like but them other movies are pure gold :yep:

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »
^yeah, Miyazaki Goro caught a lot of shit for Earthsea... but theyre giving him another go, I hear he gets to helm another project for Ghibli in next couple years. I'm sure having your father be one of the most influential and prominent anime directors ever is no pressure or anything...

Offline winner

• 絶望的に愛してる
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • kyotsky
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 11:56:51 PM »
I haven't even watched Earthsea or Ponyo. I think it is because I didn't like the latest stories since Spirited Away. I'll take time to watch those 2 someday though.

I highly recommend the tv series Future Boy Conan. It has a very close feel to Laputa, one of my fave movies of all time. :wub:
And a weird fact, the series was aired nearly a year before I was even born... in 1978. That's pretty crazy stuff! :lol:

Offline strawb3rrykream

• JPHiP's official imouto <3
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Kimuuu's girl <3
    • strawb3rrykream
    • strawb3rrykream
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:02:43 AM »
I LOVE STUDIO GHIBLI!!! I went to the museum or whatever it is in Japan a few years ago...it was so cool!!! I think I like most of the movies, some I haven't seen though. Tonari no Totoro is always gonna be the best! :thumbsup

Offline A1

• The Original Caramel Love
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 03:43:50 AM »

Those are the only movies I have seen by Studio Ghibli. Any other films that you guys can recommend me?

Offline tenkei

• Shamisen Hero
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • CL-roo omnomnom
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 03:49:37 AM »
^you pretty much have the best there. check out Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Whispers of the Heart for some more awesome

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »
Any other films that you guys can recommend me?
You need to watch Porco Rosso & Castle In The Sky ASAP!

Offline BigDnm01

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 06:36:43 AM »
I seen several of studio Ghibli films and LOVE all of them!  Studio is one of the top animation movie studio in the world.  I don't know if I can compare it to the normal anime/manga that I'm used to.  I love both type, the usual comedic yet dramatic typical anime/manga out there, but Studio Ghibli films are like.... epic.  draws you into a whole other world, very fantasy-like with a whole entire different settings that most anime/manga doesn't. 
I love anime/manga in general, I think Studio Ghibli are a very high-class films.

the ones I had a chance of watching are:
-Kiki's Delivery Service
-Pom Poko 
-Spirited Away
-Grave of the Fireflies
-Laputa: Castle in the Sky
-Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
-My Neighbor Totoro
-Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea
-Princess Mononoke
-Whisper in the Heart

All of the movies are terrific.  it's really brings you back to your childhood and just thinking about all those tales you heard from your parents and relatives, growing up with all those great fantasies that you always dream about.

Hayao Miyazaki really brings fantasy to life, while Isao Takahata's Grave of the Fireflies is a really amazing film, I cry everytime I just think about it.  Yoshifumi Kondō's Whisper of the Heart is a very lovely film, it really makes me feel relaxed and just rest. 
Joe Hisashi's music are amazing, totally love it.

there are still some more that I want to watch and I hope Studio Ghibli keeps making wonderful animated films,  no other makes animated films they way they do.
I love anime/manga in general, but Studio Ghibli is in a totally different class. 

I admit, I'm not a fan of Disney, and Disney pales in comparison to Studio Ghibli in making artistic, animated films.
I do like some Disney films, but most are not good. 

P.S.  One of the thing I love most about Hayao Miyazaki's films is the flying, it feels so good to fly and soar in the sky like in his films, especially those airships. looks so fun.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:42:58 PM »
Studio Ghibli Announces Next Film, Miyazaki Directing More

Over on the Asian Movie Pulse blog (via SlashFilm) they say that Isao Takahata, one of the co-founders of Studio Ghibli, has announced that he will be directing a new feature-length animated film. Takahata will direct a new film called Taketori Monogatari, or The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter in English, which is an adaptation of the classic 10th century folktale (known as The Tale of Princess Kaguya). He'll be breaking his 10-year hiatus since last directing My Neighbors the Yamadas in 1999. They also mention that Hayao Miyazaki is "in discussions with studio staff to make two more feature-length films in the next 3 years."

Takahata also directed Grave of the Fireflies, one of my favorite Ghibli films, so I'm happy to see him back again. The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter is about a mysterious girl called Kaguya-hime, who was discovered as a baby inside the stalk of a glowing bamboo plant. She is said to be from Tsuki-no-Miyako ("The Capital of the Moon") and has unusual hair that "shines like gold." Sounds like another wonderful Japanes folk lore story that will make for a great Studio Ghibli animated film. I'm already looking forward to this as well as whatever Hayao Miyazaki ends up directing in the next few years, as I just love that man so damn much!

Miyazaki's Ponyo just hit theaters a few months ago. I interviewed the legendary animator back in August as well - read that interview here. I'll be doing my best to keep everyone updated on all the latest with Studio Ghibli, Hayao Miyazaki, and The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter, since I love their films and can't wait for more.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/09/28/studio-ghibli-announces-next-film-miyazaki-directing-more-soon/

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 08:05:39 AM »
Gotta love Studio Ghibli. :thumbsup

-My top 5-
1. Castle of Cagliostro
2. Whisper of the Heart
3. Porco Rosso
4. Grave of the Fireflies
5. Totoro

GHIBLI MUSEUM - Mitaka ( Tokyo ) eng sub

I have to say, Earthsea and Ponyo were not up to the usual standards IMO.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 08:17:43 PM »
Studio Ghibli unveils "Karigurashi no Arrietty"

Wed, December 16, 2009 (5:18am EST)

On Wednesday, Studio Ghibli officially announced its next feature film, titled "Karigurashi no Arrietty." This will be the directorial debut of Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who served as animation director on "Gedo Senki" and as key animator on works such as "Ponyo," "Howl's Moving Castle," and "Spirited Away." "Karigurashi no Arrietty" is adapted from the fantasy novel "The Borrowers" by Mary Norton, which received the Carnegie Medal in 1952. The story follows a family of "little people" living under the floorboards of a house, surviving by secretly "borrowing" items from the humans who inhabit it. One day, their existence is discovered by a young boy.

Although the original novel was set in England during the 1950s, the Ghibli version takes place in present-day Japan. The movie's theme, "Arriety's Song," was co-written and performed by French musician Cecile Corbel. It will already be available digitally in Japan on December 19. The official website is already open. Theatrical release has been set for summer 2010.
http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-5595

Official site:
http://karigurashi.jp/

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »

Quite possibly my favorite Ghibli theme song :thumbup

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 09:45:13 AM »
This HiP Grooves is dope, the music takes you away :pimp:

I comfess I never watched a single movie :sweatdrop:

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline sanzoku

• Member+
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:58:18 AM »
I love Studio Ghibli!

I don't think I could pick a favorite, I honestly loved all of them. Joe's music is always incredible too.

JPHiP Radio (25/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Miss A - Lips