JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Davichi - I Love You Even If I Hate You

Author Topic: [Movie] Atsuko Maeda to star in Kurosawa Kiyoshi’s new movie ‘1905′  (Read 7067 times)

Offline YKT

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • MayuyuOrg
    • MayuyuOrg
    • +YKTing

Tony Leung, Matsuda Shota, and Maeda Atsuko to star in Kurosawa Kiyoshi’s new movie ‘1905′
by HPriest on September 9, 2012 at 8:15 pm

On September 10th, it was announced that worldwide renowned Chinese actor Tony Leung Chiu Wai is going to star in his first Japanese movie. The movie is titled ‘1905‘ and will be directed by Kurosawa Kiyoshi, who also already made a name for himself around the world, especially as a master of the J-Horror genre.

This movie, however, will be a large-scale action production set in Yokohama in the year 1905, and the filming will occur both in Japan and Taiwan. It will also feature the Japanese actors Matsuda Shota and former AKB48 member Maeda Atsuko. Although it’s an ambitious Japanese production, around 90% of all lines will be in Chinese.

Concrete plans for this project were already made back in 2009, when Kurosawa and Tony Leung met and talked to each other for the first time at the Asian Film Awards. Soon after that the actor came to Japan and they were able to discuss their plans in detail. Distributor Prénom H revealed that they’ve actually been trying to get the Chinese actor on board of a Japanese production ever since they began distributing his movies in Japan with ‘Days of Being Wild‘ in 1990.

As the title suggests, the movie is set in 1905, a time where imperialism and globalism was taking over the world by storm. Asian countries like Japan and China felt threatened by Western European countries. While the Qing Dynasty was inevitably approaching its end through a revolution, many Chinese went to Japan to study their modernization, which lead to a great amount of overseas students and a deep cultural exchange between the people of both countries.

Set in such a historical setting, Tony Leung is going to play a loan shark by the name of ‘Yan Yunlong’. He has to go to Japan in order to collect the money from five men who have to repay their loan. Matsuda is playing “Kato Tamotsu”, a member of an ultranationalist group called ‘Houkokukai’. He was raised in Hong Kong and can speak Chinese, which leads to him being ordered to conduct the forced repatriation of five Chinese revolutionaries. Those happen to be the same five people ‘Yan’ is hunting in Japan and so they both end up working together in order to find all five of them.

The director explained that he wants to focus on all those people who suddenly were washed ashore in cities like Yokohama 100 years ago. He explained, “Their experiences, their despair and their hope, they are all directly connected with the problems we are still facing today and will continue to face in the future.” He continued, “The cast is like a dream come true for me. I still can’t believe that this is real. I think that those three wonderful actors will be able connect with each other beyond words, age, and gender. They’ll connect with their souls. Getting to work with such great people is more blessing than one director deserves.”

Tony Leung commented, “I always admire the works of Director Kurosawa, and am thrilled to have a chance to work with him. I will treasure the experience and enjoy every moment of it.”

Meanwhile, Matsuda revealed that he was literally shivering when he received the script. He said, “I was surprised by the sheer scale of this movie and its incredible cast, but at the moment when I received the script and realized that I will really be able to meet Director Kurosawa, I couldn’t help but feel extremely happy. I want to have confidence in myself and enjoy the shooting while keeping both a tense atmosphere and a relaxed feeling.”

For Maeda this is going to be a huge step forward in her career as an actress. She’s going to play a woman named “Onishi Miyako” who is preparing all the meals for ‘Yan’ at his place while he’s in Japan. She’s a brave and honest young woman, but she’s also difficult to deal with and doesn’t hesitate to speak her mind. She expressed, “Director Kurosawa is working everywhere in the world and I’m very excited that I’ll be able to participate in one of his movies. My character is a very charming woman and I’m going to put all my energy into my performance.”

Both Matsuda, who basically has to become fluent for his role, and Maeda, who should at least become able to say a few things, are scheduled to go through some extra hard training in order to improve their Chinese as fast as possible. The filming is already scheduled to start in November and is expected to end sometime in January next year. Aside from Japan, the movie is already set for releases in Taiwan and Hong Kong.

‘1905′ will be co-distributed by Prénom H and Shochiku. It’s slated for a release sometime in fall of 2013.

Source: eiga.com

http://www.tokyohive.com/2012/09/tony-leung-matsuda-shota-and-maeda-atsuko-to-star-in-kurosawa-kiyoshis-new-movie-1905/

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
Re: [Movie] Atsuko Maeda to star in Kurosawa Kiyoshi’s new movie ‘1905′
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:30:12 AM »
to quote Masa. :jphip:

SHIT JUSS GOT REEL

:shock:

lol i literally sweating here.

Offline YKT

• Team Oshiri ω
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • MayuyuOrg
    • MayuyuOrg
    • +YKTing
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:23:22 AM »
Tony Leung to star in '1905'

HK thesp has first lead role in a Japanese pic

By MARK SCHILLING

TOKYO -- Hong Kong star Tony Leung Chiu-Wai has boarded helmer Kiyoshi Kurosawa's period drama "1905."
In his first lead role in a Japanese pic, Leung will co-star with Shota Matsuda and Atsuko Maeda, formerly of the pop group AKB48.

Set in 1905 in Yokohama, the pic features Leung as a Chinese moneylender and Matsuda as a Japanese nationalist on the trail of five Chinese revolutionaries. Leung wants to collect from them while Matsuda wants to get them out of the country. Maeda plays a girl who cooks and cares for Leung's character in Japan.

Pic will be produced by Hiroko Shinohara of Tokyo-based Premom H. Shooting will start in November for a fall 2013 release.

Kurosawa is best known internationally for his J Horror pics. He also successfully moved into family drama with "Tokyo Sonata," winner of the Cannes Un Certain Regard Special Jury Prize in 2008. His most recent project, the five-part TV drama "Penance" made for the Wowow channel, screened at the Venice Film Festival this month in a condensed version.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118059020
Alternate http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-201209101003reedbusivarietynvr1118059020-20120910,0,255832.story

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:01:41 AM »
anyone hear about this?? The director has been waiting since 2009 for Tony's schedule to fit 1905 in:

Sino-Japan Relations Worsen - Tony Leung Suffers Backlash

After announcing his role in the new movie 1905 by Japanese director Kurosawa Kiyoshi, Tony Leung has been receiving backlash from netizens for taking part in the project. The movie will start filming in Japan in November and is expected to complete filming by January. The film is scheduled for release in the fall of next year. However, with the ongoing tension between Japan and China over the Senkaku/Diaoyu Islands, many people have expressed their disappointment in Tony over his participation in the movie.

Many netizens have laid the blame on Tony: "First he doesn't lack money. Secondly he doesn't lack good scripts. What he lacks is a backbone and his patriotic pride. It's really disappointing." Another netizen left a message, "Announcing this project at such a sensitive time? Do you know what you're doing?" Others have urged Tony to follow Li Bing Bing's example [by declining to promote her film in Japan].

While Tony hasn't posted any new messages on Weibo, there has been thousands of comments discussing the issue. Many netizens have voiced their support for him, saying that the film has been in talks for a while and it just so happens the production is starting at this time. They don't think people should place the blame on Tony.

Meanwhile, Mainland singer Sun Nan was suppose to attend a concert for the '40th Anniversary of the Normalization of Diplomatic Relations Between Japan and China'. However, yesterday it was announced that he has cancelled his plans to visit Japan. Sun Nan is the latest celebrity to withdraw his activities in Japan following Li Bing Bing. Their actions seem to show their dissatisfaction with how Japan has been handling the dispute.

As for the concert happening this month on the 25th at the National Centre for the Performing Arts in Beijing, it has been postponed indefinitely. The concert was originally meant to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the Sino-Japan diplomatic relations and Japanese singer Tanimura Shinji was scheduled to perform at the event. According to his management company, they have already been in contact with the event organizers. There is currently no date in mind to reschedule the concert.

Source: Mingpao
Translated by: sparkles_n15 @ AsianFanatics

"may now be delayed indefinitely" via his wife but lol nothing official
http://iservice.libertytimes.com.tw/liveNews/news.php?no=695867&type=%E5%BD%B1%E5%8A%87

Offline WindCaliber

• Member+
^it's official now

Announcement:
This shooting of this movie has been postponed indefinitely, due to the recent Sino-Japanese tensions over the islands.
I'd put this in quotes, but for some reason I can't copy text on the page.
Source:
http://www.akb48wrapup.com/2012/10/1905-japan-china-joint-film-featuring-maeda-atsuko-and-tony-leung-postponed/

Offline daigong

• Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 07:20:42 AM »
hmm. take it for what it's worth. Spin?

[2013.02.26] TONY LEUNG CHIU WAI IS NO LONGER IN CHINA JAPAN CO-PRODUCTION

September last year, the news of Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Japanese artist Atsuko Maeda had a chance to work together on the China Japan co-production 1905. Due to the tension between China and Japan over the Diaoyu island sovereignty, the anti-Japanese sentiment ran high in Chin and Wai Jai was blasted online and demanded to turn down the film. At the time Wai Jai's management company said that he has not signed any contract. His wife Carina Lau Ka Ling also pointed out that Wai Jai will indefinitely postponed the film. Yesterday the film's Japanese production company announced its bankruptcy.

The production company Prenom-H on the 20th filed for bankruptcy at the Tokyo District Court. The company's current debt was around 640 million yen. Prenom-H last year decided to make 1905 and invited Leung Chiu Wai and Atsuko Maeda to perform. It planned to build large scale exterior sets in Taiwan and Japan and an Autumn nationwide release in Japan. With the unexpected China and Japan relation deterioration, Leung Chiu Wai was rumored to have backed out and the production progress came to a halt, the company announced its bankruptcy.

Posted by hktopten courtesy of mingpao.com

You'd think with a big name like "Cannes Festival Best Actor" could have gotten some major studio to back it.  :?

Here's to Acchan getting her feet back into a major movie production SOON!!!!!

Offline miayaka

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
  • ツ twitter account got hacked pls unfollow
Shooting of the film “1905,” starring former AKB48 member Atsuko Maeda has been canceled after its production and distribution company filed for bankruptcy, it has been revealed.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/entertainment/view/atsuko-maedas-film-canceled-after-studio-goes-bust-due-to-senkaku-dispute#

JPHiP Radio (27/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Davichi - I Love You Even If I Hate You