JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rin Toshite Shigure - I Not Crazy Am You Are

Author Topic: (Band) PE'Z  (Read 5621 times)

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
(Band) PE'Z
« on: March 27, 2006, 07:51:42 PM »
Quote from: Wiki
PE'Z is a Japanese jazz instrumental band consisting of five young men. It is dubbed "The Samurai Jazz Band." The group members are Ohyama "B.M.W" Wataru (trumpet, born in Kanagawa), Kadota "Jaw" Kousuke (sax, born in Ehime), Nirehara Masahiro (wood bass, born in Niigata), Hiizumi Masayuki (keyboard, piano etc., born in Kobe) and Kou (drums, born in Tokyo).

Basically, PE'Z is what HZM from Tokyo Jihen is involved with now. And they're pretty fucking fantastic. Great sound, and it somewhat resembles the sound of The Seatbelts. None of that run-of-the-mill jazz shit. Plus, it has HZM, who is proven to be really motherfuckin insane. Of course, I'd hate to talk to myself about this shit, so here's an album.

01 花咲クDON BLA GO!(Album Ver.)
02 タンゴ3兄妹
03 WONDERFUL DAYS
04 She's a rainbow
05 SUNNY & CLOUDY
06 アンダルシア -Andalucia-
07 T.K.O ~それ ちょっと早くない?~
08 かもめが翔んだ日
09 C止まり ~SADだけどね~
10 DRY!DRY?DRY!(Album Ver.)
11 BIG EAR ~手痛い洗礼そしてVへ~
12 A Night in Tunisia

極月-KIWAMARI ZUKI-

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
(Band) PE'Z
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 08:34:05 PM »

HZM was in PE'Z before Tokyo Jihen :wink:
they're currently touring the US with the Japan Night thing. playing at LA on the 29th.

members/
Ohyama Wataru - trumpet
Kotada Kosuke - sax
Nirehara Masahiro - wood bass
Hiizumi Masayuki - keyboard, piano, vocal
Kou - drums

PE'Z PVs on j00t00be

Offline Stryfe

• Tech Mod
  • Member+
(Band) PE'Z
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 09:28:20 PM »
Here's the PV for Akatsuki, TV rip (viewsic), mpg.

PE'Z - Akatsuki (73mb)

Offline StreakInTheSky

• Dazed and Confused
  • Member+
(Band) PE'Z
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:02:44 AM »
PE'Z is the shit. Wish I could see them this wednesday :/

I'm upping their Akatsuki mini album and Tsukushinbo album... I got it from jps so thanks to who ever shared it there.

Edit:

PE'Z-Akatsuki.rar
PE'Z-Tsukushinbo.rar

Offline maliciel

• Subcru
  • Member+
(Band) PE'Z
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 05:24:49 AM »
Quote from: boykun

HZM was in PE'Z before Tokyo Jihen :wink:
they're currently touring the US with the Japan Night thing. playing at LA on the 29th.

I knew that! <_<

And none of the cali guys are going..:(

Offline JaisBane

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: PE'Z
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 08:57:12 AM »
Quote from: Maliciel

Basically, PE'Z is what HZM from Tokyo Jihen is involved with now. And they're pretty fucking fantastic. Great sound, and it somewhat resembles the sound of The Seatbelts.

If by "resembles The Seatbelts" you mean they're both hardbop, then yes, you're right.  Otherwise they don't have much in common.  The Seatbelts are really more of a pop interpretation of Bop and there is little to no improvization in their recordings.  PE'Z, on the other hand, has a significant amount of improv and they give a much truer impression of what real bop is like.  Their explorations into jazz fusion are excellent as well, but those pieces seem more pop-influenced than even, say, later Miles Davis.  Still, it's good to see a band that can achieve this much exposure and still remain true to their roots.  PE'Z is definitely high on my list of "bands to see" right now.

JPHiP Radio (30/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Rin Toshite Shigure - I Not Crazy Am You Are