JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Goodbye, OK

Author Topic: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread  (Read 1001668 times)

Offline mode107

• Global Moderator
  • Member+
Re: The Gaming Postwhoring Thread
« Reply #2280 on: January 09, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »

The Totally Normal Guy. :lol:
"Under the beautiful blue sky"

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2281 on: January 09, 2013, 10:12:17 PM »

They broke the Asian guy :lol:

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #2282 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:04 PM »

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2283 on: January 11, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
Really tempted to pick up Anarchy Reigns. Platinum have made some amazing games with Bayonetta and Vanquish being some of my favourite games this gen, maybe ever. This looks like big dumb fun and for a budget price it's maybe worth giving them some support.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2284 on: January 12, 2013, 05:50:44 PM »
^Read the IGN review, they said it wasn't good.  On a different note, built my home in Skyrim

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2285 on: January 13, 2013, 12:20:22 AM »
Fnished Disk 1 of Lost Odyssey, played 10hrs straight and just couldn't stop.
Amazing game and story.

Offline HiME

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2286 on: January 13, 2013, 12:32:10 AM »
Anyone else already hyped for Cyberpunk 2077? :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2287 on: January 13, 2013, 01:37:23 AM »
Really like the Cyberpunk setting. Really dig the developers CD Projekt Red, creators of one of the most immersive and impressive story telling games this gen in The Witcher 2. Very excited to see what they can do here.

Offline Asmodai

• By the sea
  • Foundation
  • Member+
« Reply #2288 on: January 13, 2013, 02:07:38 AM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I can see a lot of potential with the setting they have access to. Hopefully it'll be mod-friendly so all the various options from the game they don't have time for can get modded in.

Offline HiME

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2289 on: January 13, 2013, 12:55:07 PM »
Really like the Cyberpunk setting. Really dig the developers CD Projekt Red
Yes! I'm mostly excited that this is going to be made by CD Projekt, I can't wait to see the gameplay and just... All of it really. 2015 can't come fast enough. :clock:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2290 on: January 13, 2013, 01:15:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I can see a lot of potential with the setting they have access to. Hopefully it'll be mod-friendly so all the various options from the game they don't have time for can get modded in.

CD Projekt Red have been good about mods. In fact they released a creation kit for PC players of The Witcher 2 to create their own environments, quests etc. Hopefully it will be the same with Cyberpunk.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #2291 on: January 13, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Fnished Disk 1 of Lost Odyssey, played 10hrs straight and just couldn't stop.
Amazing game and story.

I have Lost Odyssey, too.  But I wasn't feeling much love for it.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2292 on: January 13, 2013, 05:42:35 PM »

I have Lost Odyssey, too.  But I wasn't feeling much love for it.

So far I really like it, the old schoolish rpg feeling, the characters, the story, the presentation, it's the Final Fantasy everybody is screaming for nowadays.
The first disk was a bit story heavy, almost felt like a Metal Gear game, but towards the end it got better, more game time and more to do.

Offline daigong

• Communist Master of Ass
  • Administrator
  • Member++
    • daigong
    • daigong
    • daigong
« Reply #2293 on: January 13, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »

lol nerd

been pulling a lot of SNES ROMS lately to stack my phone and this was a dope ass game, mindless fun!

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2294 on: January 15, 2013, 09:36:53 PM »
With the release of the new Devil May Cry game this week, I just thought I would like to share my two cents on it all, as someone who considers Devil May Cry as one of his favourite game series of all.

Looking at the game from a less-biased point of view, judging it by its merits, citing its positives and negatives like any level-headed gamer should... that's all well and good, and should absolutely be the goal of any review that comes out for the game. It can come out with 8's and 9's across the board if it deserves it. There's nothing wrong with that.

But there's also nothing wrong with fans of the old games not being happy with the changes that have been made. Much in the way that the new Hitman might be good but it has enough changes in place to understandably upset fans to a degree, so too it could be the case with this one. DMC fans are in a bad position if we wanted to see a proper DMC game come back. If this does well we get DmC2. If not, Capcom blames fans, or the IP, and doesn't support it further.

I've read and watched reviews for the new DMC and personally it's a game I don't like the look of. It's basically got the same elements of a Devil May Cry game (red orbs, Ebony and Ivory, air juggling etc) yet has slower combat and horrible character redesigns. So why all the praise? I think it's down to the fact that people playing it haven't been fans of the series or even at the least played other games in the series. When reviewers come out and hail the adaptive difficulty, or difficulty modes like Dante Must Die/Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell as new features, when they are elements that have been in DMC 3/4, then it makes you wonder.  From what I've heard from reviewers, it's almost like they're trying too hard to defend it.

Sadly, building up the style meter is easier than in past games, no doubt about that. I've seen it jump up two style levels in as many moves and all it seems like is just vary your weapons slightly and don't get hit so much. Getting a SSS in DMC3 made you feel like a god, what kind of worth does this have to offer? Also it doesn't play like Devil May Cry. I love how everyone is trying to stress that it does when it doesn't at all. You can't change pretty much all of the controls and say "Oh but it plays the same" You could actually argue that RE6 has more in common with RE2 then Devil May Cry has with DMC.

This is in all likelihood a fairly good action game. It's just not a Devil May Cry game.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 09:45:17 PM by Tuffty »

Offline Foxy Brown

• Old and cranky
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Super bad!
« Reply #2295 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:21 PM »

Offline DioBrando

• Bobby Digital
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • SWAGSWAGSWAGSWAG
« Reply #2296 on: January 18, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
With the release of the new Devil May Cry game this week, I just thought I would like to share my two cents on it all, as someone who considers Devil May Cry as one of his favourite game series of all.

Looking at the game from a less-biased point of view, judging it by its merits, citing its positives and negatives like any level-headed gamer should... that's all well and good, and should absolutely be the goal of any review that comes out for the game. It can come out with 8's and 9's across the board if it deserves it. There's nothing wrong with that.

But there's also nothing wrong with fans of the old games not being happy with the changes that have been made. Much in the way that the new Hitman might be good but it has enough changes in place to understandably upset fans to a degree, so too it could be the case with this one. DMC fans are in a bad position if we wanted to see a proper DMC game come back. If this does well we get DmC2. If not, Capcom blames fans, or the IP, and doesn't support it further.

I've read and watched reviews for the new DMC and personally it's a game I don't like the look of. It's basically got the same elements of a Devil May Cry game (red orbs, Ebony and Ivory, air juggling etc) yet has slower combat and horrible character redesigns. So why all the praise? I think it's down to the fact that people playing it haven't been fans of the series or even at the least played other games in the series. When reviewers come out and hail the adaptive difficulty, or difficulty modes like Dante Must Die/Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell as new features, when they are elements that have been in DMC 3/4, then it makes you wonder.  From what I've heard from reviewers, it's almost like they're trying too hard to defend it.

Sadly, building up the style meter is easier than in past games, no doubt about that. I've seen it jump up two style levels in as many moves and all it seems like is just vary your weapons slightly and don't get hit so much. Getting a SSS in DMC3 made you feel like a god, what kind of worth does this have to offer? Also it doesn't play like Devil May Cry. I love how everyone is trying to stress that it does when it doesn't at all. You can't change pretty much all of the controls and say "Oh but it plays the same" You could actually argue that RE6 has more in common with RE2 then Devil May Cry has with DMC.

This is in all likelihood a fairly good action game. It's just not a Devil May Cry game.

This is an interesting point of view...having just spent about a week with the game--and finishing it just yesterday--I'd like to touch on a couple things about it. Just to preface, I consider myself a pretty big Devil May Cry fan, if not just a fan of action games in general. I usually acknowledge the original DMC as pretty much the godfather of this type of action game, though for me the series peaked at DMC3 (as I'm sure it did for a lot of people). My favorite action game of all time, though, has to be Bayonetta. Ninja Gaiden 1 and God Hand get honorable mentions. I also have not read any reviews for this game, so I'm not sure what the reception is like for new fans or old fans.

With that out of the way, I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this DmC remake. The major gripe most people have with it right off the bat is the visual style; specifically, everything about Dante. I definitely get that, as I don't really care for his look myself, but it's nothing I'd dwell over for too long. In terms of the way he acts, imo it's very Dante. They removed the iconic white hair and red coat, which, while being an odd choice that's borderline offensive to fans of the series, isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. What really matters is the gameplay. I typically find myself liking Japanese developed action games much more than western ones. I don't really like God of War, didn't care for Heavenly Sword, etc. They usually move significantly slower, and oftentimes the difficulty, when it's hard, is frustrating and cheap as opposed to challenging and rewarding.

That said, Ninja Theory did a pretty good job with this one. It does play more or less very similarly to other Devil May Cry games, at least with regards to the feel. It's not particularly slow and heavy, and while there are clear differences, especially with button configurations and how moves are executed, the end result is very similar. I imagine one would have an incredibly difficult time arguing RE6 has more in common with RE2 than this :lol:. Devil May Cry 4 was also a bit of a departure from the typical DMC, specifically during Nero's half, with his limited arsenal and the Devil Bringer, so it was nothing too jarring for me to handle.

Still, SSS rank is definitely too easy on the standard difficulty. Basically you just have to not get hit and switch it up a little. The combo meter holds up for way too long. Not switching up your attacks only causes it to rise a LITTLE BIT more slowly, as opposed to having it drop. It pretty much barely ever drops, and you can often get S - SSS by varying with just a single weapon. I can't speak for the higher difficulties, but it wasn't very challenging at all. In fact, the only times I died were due to clunky platforming. You had to SERIOUSLY work and vary your attack to keep up S ranks in DMC3, so that's definitely sad, but the fun is still there if you choose to vary your attacks, and it's possibly less forgiving on higher difficulties. It's fun to switch through the different weapons, push/pull enemies, hold them in place with certain attacks, alternate from ground/aerial attacks, etc. It feels fast, it feels light, it feels fun and rewarding.

This game's got more pressing issues than just being a departure from the usual DMC, though. Holy hell this game DRAAAAAAGS. There's very little variety in anything. For starters, the enemy types are rather bland. Most of them have some sort of gimmick to them, but overall the game just feels sort of....empty. It's like hours of padding and repetition. The platforming sections, while it's pretty to look at the world crumbling as you move on, are also repetitive, bland, and not very original. The game barely managed 10 hours, and some of the later missions had me looking at my watch. There really isn't a single set mission I can immediately recall and say "ah yes, that one was special". They're practically indistinguishable. I do like a lot of the visual touches, but they really did a number on the aesthetics and the scenery/mood you would expect from a Devil May Cry game.

tl;dr
: Gameplay wise I think they did a good job. It plays similarly, albeit slightly different, but that's inevitable. The combos are fun, the weapon variety is decent, and it's got a nice pace to the action. I feel like it has more similarities than some people give it credit for. Everything else is not very Devil May Cry, and as a game in general it's got plenty of faults, but it's a decent, solid Devil May Cry game.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 11:12:50 PM by DioBrando »
No longer El Brandinator on Minus. No Longer all All T-ara all the time. All love tho.

Offline Hart

• Just a passing Postwhore
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • DarK_HarT46
    • Hart_1444
« Reply #2297 on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »
I did it!! I finally completed L.A. Noire.  :cow:  100% everything. It took me three weeks, but I've done everything this game had to offer. All DLC cases done. All newspapers, vehicles, film reels, badges, and landmarks found. All street crimes completed. All 5-star rankings for complete cases.

I AM THE GREATEST DETECTIVE IN THE WORLD!!!!! Other than Sherlock Holmes, Bruce Wayne, and Tim Drake (Wayne).

Offline john_hung

• KOBUSHI-GUMI
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • dave_akuma
    • dave_skeptical
« Reply #2298 on: January 19, 2013, 01:52:06 PM »
just bought rumble roses lol  :bouncy boobs:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #2299 on: January 19, 2013, 02:08:52 PM »
Gameplay wise I think they did a good job. It plays similarly, albeit slightly different, but that's inevitable. The combos are fun, the weapon variety is decent, and it's got a nice pace to the action. I feel like it has more similarities than some people give it credit for. Everything else is not very Devil May Cry, and as a game in general it's got plenty of faults, but it's a decent, solid Devil May Cry game.

It looks ok, until you also see that some of the harder enemies are only affected by a single weapon type, which really limits your combo potential. The fact that harder difficulties spawn more of these types of enemies in earlier levels just really limits the potential you can have in combat. The lack of a lock on is also sorely missed.

Like I said, it people enjoy this one then that's fine. For me it's a more simplified, less technical game with some bad character reboots. What about those like me who liked the original DMC's brand of craziness? You just get the feeling it's now lost and that's a real shame. I guess Bayonetta 2 will carry the torch from now on.

And Metal Gear Rising! That is probably my most anticipated game of 2013 at this point. Everything I've seen about it so far looks completely off the chain and I love it. What about you guys? What is your most anticipated game this year?

JPHiP Radio (19/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: T-ara - Goodbye, OK