JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: pukkey - Trapped Ocean

Author Topic: Survival Horror "& similars" thread  (Read 34251 times)

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Survival Horror "& similars" thread
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 05:44:38 PM »
I LOVE Rule of Rose!!!  :lol:

The controls aren't that bad imho
I think it's made that way to emphasise that Jennifer is just a normal kid and no superhero/soldier and it adds to the atmosphere, the helplessness.
I know a lot of people complain about the controls, but I think it's just a thing of getting used to it.

I want to play the fanmod of Fatal Frame 4 for a while, but I haven't even finished three, yet.

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2010, 05:54:03 AM »
Fatal Frame Hitting Wii in 2011

Have you guys heard ? It started as speculation but now it seems to be true. I'm so hyped for it.
So far little information but people are saying it could be a remake of Fatal Frame 2 or A SEQUEL!

If it were to me, I'd vote for the sequel, some are already pointing out that they look a bit older than in the original FF2.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201009/29034186.html

It's official!  :twothumbs

For the time being the game goes by the title t『零 新作』 (Zero: A New Work)
Beside the "story mode" there will be a "ghost house mode", whatever that means ^^

But why the Wii again? Didn't they learn from last time?

Offline Ayako-Luna

• Suzuki Airi Fan No.1
  • Member+
  • Terashima Takuma Fan No.1
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 05:53:27 PM »
The PS3 would do a better matchpoint...
(Btw: I'M watching Fatal Frame 4 walkthrough on Youtube... it's so awesome! *_* I watched the other three games too...)
Really... this game series wants you to play it on your own....
Must try it! xDDD

EDIT: Let's hope that this game comes out in the USA and EU besides of Fatal Frame 4...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 07:54:21 PM by Ayako-Luna »

Love you, my wonky-eyed Terashima Takuma! <3~ Supporting Terashima Takuma and G.Addict! :3

Offline Mucca

• Go! Amazon Goddess!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 09:17:19 PM »
If this comes to America, it might be time to break down and get a Wii. Fatal Frame is one of my favorite series ever, and probably my favorite survival horror series (Silent Hill is pretty close).

Unless it's just a remake of Fatal Frame 2. Then I probably wouldn't bother (even though FF2 is a great game, I bought it once already, and I don't need an update if it's just to add waggle).

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
But why the Wii again? Didn't they learn from last time?

Well sequels, particularly the 2nd game on the same platform, is almost always a better game to play cause they know what it was like first time round, this time they can hope to make use of that and tighten up some things. Plus they've got feedback from professional and fan reviews as a template in what went wrong and how to fix that. So live in hope!

FF4 certainly scared Brad from 4PP enough times :lol:

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 08:54:09 AM »
It makes me feel bad for not having playing FF4 yet, and I did buy the game but since some people announced that a patch was being made I decided to wait. I got the patch but for some reason I put it on hold.

The PS3 would do a better matchpoint...

I feel ya. At first I was kind of disappointed too as I'd much rather have a next gen Fatal Frame experience. This is one of those games that could have 3D support. I remember when I was in Japan in one of the floors below Tokyo Tower there was a mini booth were you could watch a short Fatal Frame 2 movie in 3D and the chair moving and stuff. I even took a picture of it !

On the other hand I can say at least I already have a Wii, so it's no biggy for me.

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 01:12:33 PM »
I don't want it on a next gen console for the graphics, I don't care much for graphics, it's simply that I don't like playing on the Wii (or rather I can't very well due to certain physical restrictions)
And if it's just a pimped up version of FF2 I'd be quite happy, because I wouldn't need to get it again ^^

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 01:16:20 AM »
If they let you use the classic controller this time as an option you could play it.  :D

Speaking of controls, I have nothing against the controls in FF4 but it felt like a wasted opportunity. You only use the wii mote "shakiness" to look up/down and turn 180 degrees, that's it. If they did the controls like in metroid prime where you actually look where you're pointing it would've been fantastic.

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 11:55:23 PM »
Here's one that hasn't been mentioned yet. A recent PC game called Amnesia : The Dark Descent. Where other survival horror games give you some means of fighting back any baddies that come your way, you don't have such a luxury in this. You play as a guy who has, funny enough, amnesia, and he has to piece together who he is and why he's there. Apparently. Like I said, no weapons at all, I heard if you even stay in the dark for too long then you start to turn insane, so you need to find tinderboxes and oil for your lamp (cause the game is set in the 1800's or so). It looks and sounds very much like Lovecraft stuff, looks really cool, got great reviews and looks proper scary. I mean, just look at this guy and the reaction thereafter.

*GAMEPLAY SPOILERS*

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline coachie

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 12:16:05 AM »
Holy shit!!!  XD

Darkness is still the most scary thing ever!

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »
Hahahahahah I love watching shit like this :lol:
LJ★  ~Rest in Peace marimari, Jabronisaur, ChrNo & Fushigidane

Offline zoolander

• Your world frightens and confuses me...
  • Member+
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 03:08:26 AM »
One game that is the very definition of "Survival Horror" is Minecraft. Nothing more horrifying than the twang of a bow or tsssssssss when you are lost deep in a cave with nowhere to run. I have nightmares let me tell you.

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 03:59:07 AM »
I got Alan Wake a while back, and I've played through the first chapter. Man, what a blast. It's got tons of humour, and plenty of action (without getting too difficult, which I really appreciate). I found it really scary too, I sat there screaming at the tv on several occasions :lol: Can't wait to play more. The "Previously on Alan Wake" sequence that played after you'd finished Chapter 1 absolutely cracked me up~ And the fact that you walk around finding script pages and so kind of spoiling yourself as to what's coming up in the game is stupid, but funny 8D The game messes with my head in a good way, can't believe I didn't get this game sooner~!

Offline Yuna

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:27 AM »
Alan Wake in enjoyable and does has a good plot. The bad thing is is that I didn't think it was scary at all and from the half onwards it gets repetitive and predictable. The good thing is that it's never bad, it just could've been better paced considering the time it was on production.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 05:01:12 PM »
Well I made these lists :lol:

Survival horrors, mindfuck games or similars that I've watched on YT:
Silent Hill 1, 2 & 3
Clock Tower 3
Cryostasis
Call of Cthulhu
Rule of Rose
F.E.A.R.
Comdemned: Criminal Origins
Siren
Thief 3 "Enter the cradle" level
Heavy Rain (doesn't probably belong to the genre but it was very good, movie-like)

Siren was a bit of a pain to watch because of the partly repeated scenes/scenes in wrong order. Everything else was good. I don't finish watching totally hopeless games :lol:

Games I started watching but never finished:
Eternal Darkness - seemed like it would be longer than life
Metro 2033 - the graphics and atmosphere seemed good, but the monsters were too alien-like and I didn't like the player's style of gaming. He wasn't thinking of the viewers, which makes making a playthrough video kinda pointless
Penumbra (not sure which one) - I think I couldn't find a good playthrough without commentary
Dead Space - again, too alieny monsters? might continue some time though
Bioshock - after watching several clips I realized that the person hadn't uploaded the entire game, so misleading. I got disheartened and never ended up watching the whole thing. Sucks, it seemed so good, and when I tried the demo myself I was peeing my pants

Considering: (I picked these from the game list linked earlier in this thread)
Amnesia - at first I thought I should get this for myself if it's on discount, but now I think I'd be way too scared to ever play it
Haunting Ground - I basically know nothing about this game or the ones below, just that they're supposed to be either scary or fucked up somehow
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi
The Suffering
Echo Night Series
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon

SUMMING UP: Watching horror game walkthroughs on youtube is better than watching most horror movies. :lol: I dunno why but movies are more likely to disappoint me than games.

Offline twissie

• Wildcard, bitches. Yeeeeehaw
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • 澄んだ空で一番光る青い星になりたい
    • twiss
    • awildtwissappears
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 07:36:32 PM »
^
Oh man, Eternal Darkness  :bleed eyes: Have I bitched about Eternal Darkness here before? Either way.. if it's the GameCube game you're talking about... I love/hate it. I thought it was a great game, but the combat was so clunky. Dear god. I think I eventually made it to the last boss, but I was never able to beat it T_T;

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »
Eternal Darkness, perhaps more than any other game in any genre I've played, is one that I found my fond memories ruined when I came back to play it again after a long while. It's amazing as a first playthrough, but on your second when you're a little older, wiser and have player games with better controls, it's a little disappointing.

I don't mean to ruin it Shi but Bioshock is only really scary for about the first hour or so. After then it doesn't really tend to go for the scripted scare moments. But I absolutely think you should still watch it because it is an amazing game with a great story. I noticed you haven't included The Grudge for the Wii, which while I haven't played, does look pretty good. Brad from 4PP didn't even finish the game cause he was that creeped out :lol: :

Whatever happened to the survival horror genre lately? Aside from Alan Wake or possibly Deadly Premonition, I cannot recall one game released this year that comes close to the genre (Amnesia not withstanding), when a few years ago it was one of the more popular genres.

Offline shirenuファクトリー

• Flipper
  • Global Moderator
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 09:17:37 PM »
^ I don't really mind you "ruining" Eternal Darkness for me, because I don't think I'll continue watching it :lol: Something was just lacking from a purely viewing perspective. I guess the fighting bits were really boring. Maybe the clunky combat was apparent there? If the controls are good, you can tell it as a viewer as well because the fighting and general movement runs so smoothly. It's really more like a movie then >o<
Another example of this would be Rule of Rose; I could tell that the controls were clumsy in that just by watching it, then it was later confirmed in this thread :D

Aight Tuffty, I'll try to watch Bioshock again once I've forgotten most of what I've seen so far :lol: Would hate to repeat it so soon. Doesn't matter if it's not that scary, it's not like Heavy Rain was scary but I enjoyed it all the same xD

I LOVE BRAD VIDEOS!! ROFL I'll add that game to my list!

I guess all genres have high and low points. The good thing is that people will always love a good scare, so even if at the moment it's quiet... It'll come back. :lol:

Offline Tuffty

• Shadowstar's Boy Toy
  • ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 09:24:21 PM »
True. Brad's playthrough of the Grudge is hilarious but as Brad always does, he immediately jumps into the pause menu when a scare is happening. In the Grudge, he seems to stay there for about 5 mins trying to compose himself :lol: It's funny of course, just saying it won't make the most exciting playthrough if you want to be scared XD

JPHiP Radio (20/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: pukkey - Trapped Ocean