JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sweets - after the rain

Author Topic: Star Trek (2009)  (Read 20809 times)

Offline Yo Jimbo

• ecchi
  • Member+
Re: Star Trek (2009)
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 10:59:16 AM »
Star Trek was ridiculously badass. I'm a pretty casual fan too (seen a bunch of original series, a bit of TNG, a bunch of Voyager and not much of anything else, seen a bit of the other movies as well but none in their entirety) but I think I understood some references too. Characters were pretty well done and effects were pretty snazzy. They totally cheated with this movie with how they made the story work but it does and it's awesome. My only complaint (and so far it just seems to be me) is the shaky cam when they're doing action/fight scenes and I just get slightly disoriented. I may have to go see this again tomorrow too though XD
Crowds are won and lost and won again but our hearts beat for the diehards

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 12:20:38 AM »
I saw Star Trek. It was good but not great. Typical JJ Abrams fashion of opening a million questions and rushing to the end to answer about a thousand. Also, it felt like made for the masses, aka most of it was action and cheap humor.

I dunno, I enjoyed it but it doesn't seem worth seeing more than one or two more times.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »
I thought Star Trek was better than Wolverine (and I LOVE Marvel comics).  The story was better.  The Uhura/Spock thing was alittle wtf though.

Offline ebc

• Administrator
  • Member+
  • >:|
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2009, 01:43:25 AM »
I liked it a lot!
A lot of people saying the story is a let down but I thought it was pretty cool.

Offline RatBastich

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 01:54:45 AM »
I just watched it today, and I, for one, definitely liked it.
Who'd thunk they'd rewrite ST history like this.
"Yo, microphone check one, two, what is this? The five foot assassin with the roughneck business"
"Are you my mummy?"
"Hello, Sweetie."
"Who's scruffy looking?"

Offline boykun

• トマトケチャップ 100% OK
  • Member+
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2009, 03:23:39 AM »
Just saw it. Quite the enjoyable movie.

Lots of fun.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 05:37:03 AM »
A lot of people saying the story is a let down but I thought it was pretty cool.

The Trekkies probably don't like the whole stuff that had to deal with changing history. I'm trying not to spoil too much, but all the stuff like that really messes with Star Trek canon, which Abrams said he was going to honor. Personally, as a huge Trek fan, I found that to be a little meh. It seemed really thrown into the movie. I dunno. I liked the movie overall, and I will probably go see it again this Friday for a round two. I was a little harsh on it earlier due to my mood in unrelated stuff. >_>

Offline jaysonnj

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »
I just got back from watching Star Trek. Awesome movie.
Defintely made for the masses. But I think that needed to be done to make this movie a success. And if it wasn't a success then there probably wouldn't be another Star Trek movie for a long time.

One thing I didn't like about the movie were all the lens flares! They were blinding!

Offline ChocoMochaKei

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 06:14:24 PM »
So it's a good action movie?  I haven't watched much of the Star Trek series so I wasn't sure what this movie would be like but if it's not half-bad I might watch it next weekend.  Unless I decide to go somewhere for the long weekend, lol.

Offline THUNDERDUCK

• Putting the H! in H!P
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • thunderquacker
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 11:10:55 PM »
Not to be a spoiler though, but I think the "history changing" was to honor the original series, by leaving the "original Trek Universe" untouched.  Thus making this Trek and it's sequels in it's own separate Universe.

Offline Datalanche

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2009, 01:31:36 AM »
Not to be a spoiler though, but I think the "history changing" was to honor the original series, by leaving the "original Trek Universe" untouched.  Thus making this Trek and it's sequels in it's own separate Universe.

Hmmmmm, I didn't quite think about it like that. That's a logical conclusion.

Offline Za_Wolf

• INFP
  • Member+
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2009, 08:23:24 AM »
saw it friday, i didnt think it woulda been this good.  I went into the movie with low expectations but came out blown away.  The first 15 mins alone was just pure badass.  And I thought Syler guy (Heroes villian) was gonna ruin spock but he did a really good job portraying him.  Will go see it again this week  :thumbsup
Stand tall and shake the heavens.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2009, 06:01:44 AM »
Just came back from seeing it...FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH! :rockon:

Thoughts (hidden for spoilers):

[bgcolor=black]- the design of Nero's ship was really different from what has been established as "typical" Romulan design. Mind you, that could very well simply be a result of the original intended purpose of the ship (which was planetary mining).

- you KNOW that it's an AU story when they take out Vulcan. @_@

- on top of that, young Spock witnesses his mother's death...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!  O_O

- Spock and Uhura?!?! Definitely didn't see that one.

- I LOL'ed big time when the red-shirt got roasted (Trekkers know that it can't be an homage to TOS if we didn't lose a red-shirt).

- I had to remind myself not to "geek out" when old Spock showed up. ;D

- I was surprised at how they addressed the AU issue so directly in the movie. It was almost like they "broke the 4th wall".

- It might just be me, but I loved how they managed to incorporate so many of the "little things" from the original canon into this flick (e.g. McCoy's "I'm a doctor, not a ..." bit, Chekov's accent, young Spock doing the Vulcan eyebrow thing, Pike being in a wheelchair, etc. ), not to mention the very subtle (and very smart) humourous moments. Very reminiscent to TOS.
[/bgcolor]

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline pikapikapika

• ピンクの稲妻!
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • Pika~!
    • pikathree
    • pikathree
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
I shall use spoilers too for JFC XD

[bgcolor=#000000]The reason it's so different to Romulan ships, well read the comic Star Trek: Countdown because it's....

Made from Borg technology that the Romulans got hold of :O[/bgcolor]

Offline Rickker708

• Member+
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2009, 08:21:47 AM »
highly recomend the prequil miniseries. Great read. As for the movie....anyone see the tribbles?
Life is one time.

Offline JFC

• Miki's Birthday Twin
  • ecchi
  • Member+
    • jfcantalejo
    • jfcantalejo
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2009, 11:58:26 PM »
^
Tribbles? :O

One of my buddies that I saw the movie with said that he saw Kal Penn (aka "Kumar") as a crewman on the bridge of the Enterprise just before they left (cameo, not sure if he was listed in the ending credits though, as I wasn't really looking for his name). Maybe that explains why Sulu couldn't get them into warp that first time. :P

@ pikaX3 - you need to make the text COLOR match the BGCOLOR in order to really hide it. Without it, the text still shows up on the darker coloured themes.

JPH!P :heart:'s kuro808, Fushigidane, ChrNo, Jab & marimari. Always.

Offline ChocoMochaKei

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 07:22:47 PM »
I finally saw it last night.  It was better than I expected.  I didn't think it'd have comedy in it.  XD

[bgcolor=#000000]Especially the parts with the allergic reaction, lol, that was funny.[/bgcolor]

It wasn't until the end of the movie watching the credits that I realized Winona Ryder was in it.  My siblings and I were all "she was?!" and tried to think which character she played, which I Googled and now know  :lol:

Offline Kimuuu

• Radish
  • ecchi
  • Member+
  • strawb3rrykream's girl <3
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
It wasn't until the end of the movie watching the credits that I realized Winona Ryder was in it.  My siblings and I were all "she was?!" and tried to think which character she played, which I Googled and now know  :lol:

Yeah, I totally didn't realize that until way after... I was wondering why there was a noticeable response from the audience when she first appeared. ^_^;;

Offline e_lo05

• ecchi
  • Member+
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 07:06:01 AM »
i also thought it was a good movie.  i'm not really a big star trek fan, but i know a little bit about it.  i've seen it three times already.  i hope the sequel is even better.

Offline Masa

• Administrator
  • Member++
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
Could We See Khan or an Older Kirk in Star Trek Sequels?

We're happy to report that as of this weekend, J.J. Abrams' Star Trek will have made at least a total of $116 million (in the US) at the box office, which means not only is it a huge success, but a sequel is definitely going to happen. I, for one, can't wait, because the new crew that Abrams introduced us to was fantastic, and all I wanted to see at the end was their next journey. So what of a sequel? We've been talking for the last few weeks primarily about Wolverine spin-offs and sequels, so let's finally turn our focus to Star Trek. Two of the most popular ideas involve the villain Khan and an old Captain Kirk, meaning William Shatner.

Abrams chatted with MTV recently, and while he's not necessarily confirmed for a sequel, writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orco are, so there are some good ideas out there. "The fun of this [new alternate Trek reality] is that the destiny of these characters is in their hands - it's not constrained by the pre-existing films or TV series," he says. "Believe me, whether it's William Shatner or Khan … it would be ridiculous to not be open to those ideas." If you're a big Trek fan, now you may understand why it was a good idea to use an alternate reality storyline - almost everyone still exists, or can exist, and could appear at anytime.

So what of the infamous Star Trek II villain Kahn Noonien Singh, played originally by Ricardo Montalban? He's a fan favorite and we have heard Kurtzman and Orci say that they referenced that movie quite a bit. "It'll be fun to hear what Alex and Bob are thinking about Khan," Abrams teases. "The fun of this timeline is arguing that different stories, with the same characters, could be equally if not more compelling than what's been told before." So what he means exactly is that, "[Khan and Kirk] exist - and while their history may not be exactly as people are familiar with, I would argue that a person's character is what it is."

"I wouldn't rule out anything," Abrams hints in regards to the possible appearance of William Shatner in future sequels (we did just learn about how he was supposed to be in Star Trek last week anyway). "The point of creating this independent timeline is to not have the restrictions we had coming into this one. And one of those restrictions was that Kirk was dead." Of course, it's too early to get too far into this discussion, but because we're all still coming off of our Star Trek high, it's a great time to entertain every last possibility. So who do you want to see in a sequel? Or should they just introduce more new villains?
http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/05/17/could-we-see-khan-or-an-older-kirk-in-star-trek-sequels/

JPHiP Radio (23/200 @ 128 kbs)     Now playing: Sweets - after the rain